• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt know it was a lot cheaper online. What are we talking? I have no interest in screwing anyone.

Because it's oop, there are sellers trying to sell new copies for over $100, but copies go on ebay for around $50-60 or so, with used copies you can find for less sometimes on places like bgg marketplace.

So five games of Zombicide, we haven't lost once. Is the game just too easy? Surely just the scenarios in the box though. Big issue we see is the games slow start with such small numbers of slow zombies. Players just have a lot of time to search and load up on the gear they need and by the time the violence starts, players are fairly well equipped.

So five games of Zombicide, we haven't lost once. Is the game just too easy? Surely just the scenarios in the box though. Big issue we see is the games slow start with such small numbers of slow zombies. Players just have a lot of time to search and load up on the gear they need and by the time the violence starts, players are fairly well equipped.

Do you guys lurk in the starting area, just searching? We didn't and tried to proceed, did fairly okay in yellow zone, but slowly, we got overwhelmed. The surprise!, extra zombie turns crippled us and then our xp became imbalanced to compensate.

Do you guys lurk in the starting area, just searching? We didn't and tried to proceed, did fairly okay in yellow zone, but slowly, we got overwhelmed. The surprise!, extra zombie turns crippled us and then our xp became imbalanced to compensate.

Its essentially best way since you can then trade. At start at blue its mainly small amounts of slow walkers. Park in closest building and search while passing around the gear best suited for all the characters before really going at it. Once you got a good selection of gun variety its quite easy. You also just got to try and plan for those potential extra actions by positioning you members to be out of reach. And shotguns with extra combat die skill chosen and extra ammo.... feels broken when you can do 6 damage per combat action. Potential 6 dead zombies per shot.

Neverfade

Just played my first game of Agricola (family rules) and I have to say - WOW

it was amazingly fun.

Damn.

Granted, I'm slowly coming around to Agricola from being a previous hater, but I still think the family game is boring shit. The cards ARE the game. Your butthole is going to pucker when you try that!

Then play Le Havre if you haven't!

Damn.

Granted, I'm slowly coming around to Agricola from being a previous hater, but I still think the family game is boring shit. The cards ARE the game. Your butthole is going to pucker when you try that!

Then play Le Havre if you haven't!

Oh shit! I can't wait for some bitthole puckering farming board game action!

Lol

I have Le Havre on my iPad but I haven't really played it yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So addicted to Netrunner now. This is going to be one of those games that's in my brain even when I'm not playing it. Bringing it to game night tomorrow along with a bunch of other games and hoping I get "stuck" teaching it to someone. :p

Xater

So yesterday I played my first Cosmic Encounter game and it even was with 5 players. All of them including me new to the game. I have to say it went really well. 2 people said that while I was explaining that it seems complicated but I told them that it's will be way more easy once they start playing. It turned out to be true. After everyone went through their first turn it was smooth sailing. Pretty much everyone seems to have enjoyed the game, including me.

Neverfade

So addicted to Netrunner now. This is going to be one of those games that's in my brain even when I'm not playing it. Bringing it to game night tomorrow along with a bunch of other games and hoping I get "stuck" teaching it to someone. :p

Same, but I rarely have just one gaming buddy over at a time; I hope they come up with some multiplayer rules, but that's going to be a challenge given the nature of the game.

So anyone got good idea for Dominion storage that is simple and not a huge project like alot of the stuff I see folks doing on the net. I still got all my Dominion still in their individual boxes taking up big space on my gaming room shelves. Surprised they haven't put out their own big box with dividers like most other DBG's have done

So anyone got good idea for Dominion storage that is simple and not a huge project like alot of the stuff I see folks doing on the net. I still got all my Dominion still in their individual boxes taking up big space on my gaming room shelves. Surprised they haven't put out their own big box with dividers like most other DBG's have done

I spent a month or two looking up solutions for packaging Dominion. Eventually I just said fuck it, bought 300 correctly sized zip lock bags for £2 and managed to fit them all into one box. I put the victory/treasure/randomizer cards and the coins and mats into a mini expansion box. No neat organization. No fancy dividers. Just randomly piled in a box. It's saved a ton of space, and I figured 99% of the time I just want 10 random decks so I don't care if they're in any order. Certainly not a solution that'll please everyone, or even most people, but it's injected new life into the game for us. Easier to get out, set up and randomize. No fuss. No cost.

Just reading your posts on this page and watching a YouTube video has me hovering over the buy button on Amazon.

I kind of noticed this already, a few times I guess I screwed up her choices and her family went hungy. She was pretty pissy but honestly it was her fault for not having other options. Toward the end there are multiple choices but watching my sister get pissed over her fake family starving was great.

Mr_Burns.png

I have to say the rulebook was pretty poor. It took us awhile to get a grasp on most of the rules and I had to look up a few things online.

other then that we all LOVED it.

might as well put this here instead of starting a new post.

Do you guys have any feedback or thoughts on this?

14237393_120817183000_265x265_pad.jpg

Xater

I kind of noticed this already, a few times I guess I screwed up her choices and her family went hungy. She was pretty pissy but honestly it was her fault for not having other options. Toward the end there are multiple choices but watching my sister get pissed over her fake family starving was great.

Mr_Burns.png

I have to say the rulebook was pretty poor. It took us awhile to get a grasp on most of the rules and I had to look up a few things online.

other then that we all LOVED it.

might as well put this here instead of starting a new post.

Do you guys have any feedback or thoughts on this?

14237393_120817183000_265x265_pad.jpg

If the English rules of Agricola are anything like the German ones I agree. Basically after my one round of the family game I regreted not reading the full rules. They are way better. Everything is explained in order and detail. And since the only thing is added are the cards it's really not much more complicated at all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yea Agricolas rulebook is awful, was such a confusing read but once you play the actual game, it all clicks and its super simple.

Yep -- it's so damn bad I read it, put the game away for a year, and then didn't bother coming back to it until Flynn taught my wife and me how to play at PAX East. :p

Just reading your posts on this page and watching a YouTube video has me hovering over the buy button on Amazon.

:D Just a crazy fun bluffing game. Like most FF games though you have to dedicate a few hours to really learning it cold yourself so you can teach it easily. I'm still stalking the rules forums on BGG to really round out my understanding of all the little nuances of the game, but at it's core it's a very simple game. Corp builds and protects assets that may or may not be traps and Runner builds countermeasures for that protection and makes runs at assets.

I played Plato 3000 tonight, which was the freebie game given to Glory to Rome kickstarter supporters. It's actually not a bad rummy variant. The art is nice and there are some interesting play combinations that can be done with a relatively limited number of card types.

Neat diversion and could become a good two player filler with my wife and I.

Neverfade

Oh man. David Sirlin thread @ BGG, what a fucking shithead.

TLDR version: He power trips on his forums closing a discussion about SolForge and the CCG business model and tells "rare pack apologists" to leave.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think I liked it better when Sirlin wasn't a part of board gaming. Maybe if his games were anything more than mediocre mashups his attention-whoring would be more interesting. Hey Sirlin, why don't you release eighteen more versions of Puzzle Strike to continue to "fix" the balance issues?

TLDR version: He power trips on his forums closing a discussion about SolForge and the CCG business model and tells "rare pack apologists" to leave.

Sirlin is abrasive as all get out, but I can get behind CCG hate. He seems pretty annoyed that such a blatantly crappy scheme for the customer is seen as the only way to get a card game made these days. Even worse with a digital game like SolForge where actual physical scarcity and resell values figures into acquiring a deck. Just my take though, I'm not a CCG player so I'm singularly uninformed on the issues involved.

But yeah, such crappy forum behavior is just embarrassing. If he hates CCG talk so much just close the threads quietly and go on with making and promoting the games that you like.

His CCG rants had more merit years ago. The CCG market is closed off now, most don't really try to get into it anymore as they learned that it's incredibly hard to get into. We are getting tons of non CCG card games being put out now. Most companies have realized CCG style games are just bad ideas and any success with them is short lived, so he got stuck with a publisher who only wants CCG style games? For almost 2 decades companies failed at CCG's, those still trying to do them are stuck in the past. It's quite stupid to also be ranting at people who do enjoy playing these types of games. What an attention whore.

Keasar

While he is definetly right now acting like an ass and is overreacting, I will have to confess I think he has a point. I have hated long now the fact that games requires time and/or money to make a player competitive. Like in the case of Magic the Gathering, hundreds of dollars spent on cards or League of Legends, hundreds of hours spent leveling up your character to fully level up, unlock all needed runes, characters etc. Few games today are competitive the moment you open the box.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
While he is definetly right now acting like an ass and is overreacting, I will have to confess I think he has a point. I have hated long now the fact that games requires time and/or money to make a player competitive. Like in the case of Magic the Gathering, hundreds of dollars spent on cards or League of Legends, hundreds of hours spent leveling up your character to fully level up, unlock all needed runes, characters etc. Few games today are competitive the moment you open the box.

Board games. :D

Neverfade

The thing is, he doesn't need to have a point. Who really gives a flying fuck what David Sirlin thinks of the CCG model? He's not going to talk anyone into it out of liking it. What harm is it doing to let people talk about SolForge?

Continue making your rock-paper-scissors variants and let the world keep spinning.

Android Netrunner question.

If the runner has multiple Icebreaker cards out, does he combine the strengths to break through ice or not? I assumed no but somewhere in the rules it said something like you can use all your cards to help but you'd really only need one icebreaker. I think.

Neverfade

Android Netrunner question.

If the runner has multiple Icebreaker cards out, does he combine the strengths to break through ice or not? I assumed no but somewhere in the rules it said something like you can use all your cards to help but you'd really only need one icebreaker. I think.

You can use a different icebreaker to break each different ice - against a smart corp that will be very necessary. But you couldn't use two sentry killers and total their strength to take down one sentry ice. You need to pump an individual breaker to equal strength to interact with said ice.

Xater

So my current Spiel 2012 buy list looks like this:

Escape + Expansion (I want to play with 6 players)
Rattus Cartus

Maybe:
Fremde Federn
Arctic Scavengers

Does anyone have something else interesting on their radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom