• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my current Spiel 2012 buy list looks like this:

Escape + Expansion (I want to play with 6 players)
Rattus Cartus

Maybe:
Fremde Federn
Arctic Scavengers

Does anyone have something else interesting on their radar?
There are three I'm currently looking at:
Antike Duellum - 2 player version of Antike which is an older Rondel game from Mac Gerdts.
Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar - Worker placement with an interesting gear mechanic.
Clash of Cultures - The designer of Merchant and Marauders makes a civilization game and I get excited.

Now to decide which one (or two) I really want so shipping from Germany doesn't cost me a ton of cash.

Xater

There are three I'm currently looking at:
Antike Duellum - 2 player version of Antike which is an older Rondel game from Mac Gerdts.
Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar - Worker placement with an interesting gear mechanic.
Clash of Cultures - The designer of Merchant and Marauders makes a civilization game and I get excited.

Now to decide which one (or two) I really want so shipping from Germany doesn't cost me a ton of cash.

Ok you got me interested in Antike Duellum. Looks interesting and not too complicated. I am also always interested in a good pure 2 player game, because it's something I can always play. I did not know about Antike or Rondel but now it's going on my "Maybe" list as well.

Clash of Cultures also looks cool, but that is not available in German.

Omikron

Seeing my main gaming friend is my wife, picked up agricola all creatures big and small today. Managed to get in one learning game and it seems a super solid two player experience.

Xater

Seeing my main gaming friend is my wife, picked up agricola all creatures big and small today. Managed to get in one learning game and it seems a super solid two player experience.

I was thinking about picking it up as well but me and my girlfriend decided for the full Agricola instead. Works also just as well as a two player game. If you actually wanted a lighter experience then of course All Creature Big and Small is the better choice.

Speaking of Agricola we played our second game last night (family rules) and again had a freaking blast! The next game we play will be full rules.

wish me luck.

Nice. I was thinking about picking this up recently too. My wife's favorite game is Agricola and the only reason why we don't pull out the regular game often is because setup is a pain. Having a smaller two player version that gives you a taste of the full game sounds like it's perfect. Of course she is dying for the iOS version of Agricola.

Speaking of Agricola we played our second game last night (family rules) and again had a freaking blast! The next game we play will be full rules.

wish me luck.
As long as you feel you have the basic mechanics down the full game is going to be a breeze.

Slacker

My group took way to long to get around to trying 7 Wonders. Finally did last week between games of Dominion and Ticket to Ride and had a great time with it.

I've been looking for another game or two to play with 1v1 with the wife (all we play now is TTR). Is the two-player variant of 7 Wonders worthwhile?

I'm probably going to order a copy of Lost Cities as well. I think I can get her in to that one.

I've been looking for another game or two to play with 1v1 with the wife (all we play now is TTR). Is the two-player variant of 7 Wonders worthwhile?

I'm probably going to order a copy of Lost Cities as well. I think I can get her in to that one.
2 Player 7 Wonders is not good. Each player takes turns "playing" a dummy player. The problem is the dummy player just turns into a hate draft trash pile. The game was designed for more players than two and it feels like the two player game was just added to make the player count on the box look good.

If you are looking for two player games I'll pimp Hemloch again. Simple two player card game that has some light area control/majority aspect to the game. The art is beautiful and plays in 30 minutes. I'm also a fan of the Kosmos 2 Player line. Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel, Lost Cities, and Perry Rhodan are all solid two player games.

fenners

If you are looking for two player games I'll pimp Hemloch again. Simple two player card game that has some light area control/majority aspect to the game. The art is beautiful and plays in 30 minutes. I'm also a fan of the Kosmos 2 Player line. Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel, Lost Cities, and Perry Rhodan are all solid two player games.

Pillars of the Earth Builders Duel is an overlooked little gem of a 2 player game IMO. Elements of tic-tac-toe, resource management, special powers, etc. Quick, easy to learn, and some variety to each game I've played.

As for Essen, only game I'm tempted to pay Essen prices for is the Carson City expansion... :/

2 Player 7 Wonders is not good. Each player takes turns "playing" a dummy player. The problem is the dummy player just turns into a hate draft trash pile. The game was designed for more players than two and it feels like the two player game was just added to make the player count on the box look good.

Hemloch looks awesome.. where can I purchase this thing?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My group took way to long to get around to trying 7 Wonders. Finally did last week between games of Dominion and Ticket to Ride and had a great time with it.

If you want some games that are great with 2-4, check out Race for the Galaxy and Innovation. Need to have a partner who is comfortable with a touch of learning complexity though.

Xater

Much excite for Clash of Cultures. Xater, you're going to Essen I take it? I may have you pick this up for me if possible.

Yep, I am going. Most likely on the first day of the show. I will remind everyone of that again Early October if anyone else is thinking about getting something.

My wife and I have enjoyed Jambo quite a bit recently. We also used to play Catan the Card Game, but after a bit the metagame got a bit odd and we stopped playing. We really did enjoy it though, I think we should bust it back out again for another try. Also I guess that I might be one of the few (I would guess more would prefer 4 or so) but we actually had fun with 2 player Smallworld, actually scaled quite well I think.

Neverfade

Ugh.

YdmFk.png

The only winning move is to not play.

Omikron

For those that mentioned full version of agricola, would have loved it, but with a small child our gaming time is limited to usually hour long periods. So shorter games win ATM.

I am big on lost cities and also been playing a bit of Jaipur which is another fairly simple two player game you can bah out it 30 mins.

For those that mentioned full version of agricola, would have loved it, but with a small child our gaming time is limited to usually hour long periods. So shorter games win ATM.

I am big on lost cities and also been playing a bit of Jaipur which is another fairly simple two player game you can bah out it 30 mins.

Once you get used to it, a game of agricola takes about 30 min per player. So a 2 player game is about an hour.

Once you get used to it, a game of agricola takes about 30 min per player. So a 2 player game is about an hour.
Yeah, we can knockout a game of Agricola in no time. The only bummer is the setup time.

Gaming with a small child can be challenging but easy to do once the little one is asleep. I actually got into boardgaming as a way for my wife and I to spend time together when our son is asleep.

Any reconditions for games that play well with 6??

My group gets together every Saturday to watch College football and play board games.

We play 7 wonders, dominion, puerto Rico, Agricola! But it sucks that we really only can all play 7 wonders together since the others really only play 4-5

Betrayal at House on the Hill - any feedback? I'm tempted

Simple fun game that often plays out differently every time you play it. Not too meaty but great to ease in casual folks into more complicated games. It's very random with most of it's elements so thats why it often plays out differently, which is a good thing and bad thing. Sometimes the randomness will make the game totally lopsided, or can cause game to drag on way too long.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

My group gets together every Saturday to watch College football and play board games.

We play 7 wonders, dominion, puerto Rico, Agricola! But it sucks that we really only can all play 7 wonders together since the others really only play 4-5

Yeah man I've been playing with 6 all the time in my game group. Some of our favorites:
-King of Tokyo
-Ticket to Ride Team Asia (three teams!)
-RoboRally (from the creator of Netrunner!)
-Shadows over Camelot

And of course pure party games like:
-Time's Up
-Say Anything
-Wits & Wagers

Quick Lost Valley question. If I picked up the $115 set with Great Fire of London, does that come with the stretch goals for that game as well or not? Missed out on that one so I'll be ordering it anyway, just curious.

Cards against humanity

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it's a fun party game, but there isn't much strategy

We normally play with the Rando house rule (draw top card off deck and put it in with the actual answers; if the judge picks the random answer, Rando gets the point) and Rando generally comes pretty near the top of the rankings, so if that's not an indictment of something being a random party game, what is?

octobot

Dominant species can accommodate 6 players (and is awesome) its a lengthy game though

Fewr

Independence Day

I bought The Great Dalmuti to play with my family this time. We had a fantastic time especially because we added the declarations rule explained here.

The top 5 games for my family have been updated to the following:
1. Nuns on the Run
2. The Great Dalmuti
3. Bang!
4. Dungeon Petz
5. Forbidden Island

Do you guys know what a legitimate price for the Memoir '44 air pack should be?

It's long OOP with no sights of a reprint so I don't know which a fair price for it TBH, I think I bought it for something like $33 two years ago.

I barely touched it but I think the common opinion is that it's very skipable.

Xater

It's long OOP with no sights of a reprint so I don't know which a fair price for it TBH, I think I bought it for something like $33 two years ago.

I barely touched it but I think the common opinion is that it's very skipable.

Yeah skip it. Get the stuff you need for the first campaign book instead and you will have fon for a long time.

Thanks for the info guys, the reason I ask is that I picked it up yesterday new for $28. Then saw it's outrageous price online.

Weird

edit: also I really want to grab Net runner. Would a LCG like that be good for just playing my friends at my house? I am not interesting in competitive play or anything, Basically just using it as a card game.

edit: also I really want to grab Net runner. Would a LCG like that be good for just playing my friends at my house? I am not interesting in competitive play or anything, Basically just using it as a card game.

The two different friends I've played it with all enjoy it. None of us have ever played ccg / lcg games before. We still learn new rules as we go but it doesn't hamper our enjoyment. It actually is sort of fun knowing the next game will be more fair with certain cards and no one cares if someone had an unfair advantage this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom