• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being pointed to Kickstarter by the new Catan board I've been some what addicted. The Catan board is going crazy with $123k already pledge, I've now turned my attention to find some other cool games to fund.

This one looks ok:

Castle Dice

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I also like the look of The Perfect Heist. It only has 5 days left and has already funded 395% of it's goal.

I've been better about not browsing Kickstarter lately (and subsequently funding stuff) but I was looking around last night and saw that one. Looks like a better version of Munchkin to me, with a different theme of course. If it was cheaper I'd go for it. Still may, I'll think about it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm not happy with the existing Netrunner subreddit so I created a new one. Old one only has one mod and doesn't seem to be doing much to foster discussion.

If anyone wants to help me mod / build up the new one, lemme know! I'll accept pretty much anyone digging Netrunner & active on Reddit.

For all those who whine about LOTR LCG deck building but like the coop play aspect, then you really should try Sentinels of the Multiverse: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102652/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

Coop with premade decks all around, and very quick and simple to play. Basically each deck represents a hero and his powers while players will play coop against a selected villain and his/her deck. You then take a random location deck to represent where the fight takes place. Turn order is very straight forward with each villain having a unique rule card that explains how his turn is resolved, with at the end of a turn the location deck causes an event to happen randomly.

Game was really big hit at the table today with everyone, and think this is a game that many have overlooked because as mentioned several posts above... the art sucks balls. Yea the worst aspect of the game is the real bad art all over it, it looks like bad deviant art web comic work. Company behind it also really hasn't done anything else so yea it's been overlooked by many. Can see why many folks would see it on a shelf and just not even bother with how ugly it is. Game though has pretty decent reception on BGG and it's gotten several expansions which add more villains and heroes.

Keasar

For all those who whine about LOTR LCG deck building but like the coop play aspect, then you really should try Sentinels of the Multiverse: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102652/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

Coop with premade decks all around, and very quick and simple to play. Basically each deck represents a hero and his powers while players will play coop against a selected villain and his/her deck. You then take a random location deck to represent where the fight takes place. Turn order is very straight forward with each villain having a unique rule card that explains how his turn is resolved, with at the end of a turn the location deck causes an event to happen randomly.

Game was really big hit at the table today with everyone, and think this is a game that many have overlooked because as mentioned several posts above... the art sucks balls. Yea the worst aspect of the game is the real bad art all over it, it looks like bad deviant art web comic work. Company behind it also really hasn't done anything else so yea it's been overlooked by many. Can see why many folks would see it on a shelf and just not even bother with how ugly it is. Game though has pretty decent reception on BGG and it's gotten several expansions which add more villains and heroes.

Saw that game on TheDiceTower and thought it was really interesting. Will have to take a look at it once the Deluxe or whatever it was called box hits the stores.

Saw that game on TheDiceTower and thought it was really interesting. Will have to take a look at it once the Deluxe or whatever it was called box hits the stores.

The enhanced edition recently came out. Even with the better art it's still pretty ugly. But the enhanced edition comes with the improved components and has room for all expansion cards with deck dividers.

We've been trying the Power Grid "Robots" expansion.
I've had the base game a while but hardly ever get a chance to play it due to never having enough players to make it interesting.
So we played with 2 players and 2 robots.
It worked quite well, so well in fact that I miscalculated on the penultimate turn, got screwed out of oil and we finished behind one of the robots (the one which was always "last player").
However the rules are still too vague when it comes to determining the choices for the robots, which slows the game a bit.

mercviper

Playing Diplomacy online with a bunch of my
soon to be ex-
friends. We're only just getting to the first build orders (winter 1901) and holy shit the game feels tense.

We've been trying the Power Grid "Robots" expansion.
I've had the base game a while but hardly ever get a chance to play it due to never having enough players to make it interesting.
So we played with 2 players and 2 robots.
It worked quite well, so well in fact that I miscalculated on the penultimate turn, got screwed out of oil and we finished behind one of the robots (the one which was always "last player").
However the rules are still too vague when it comes to determining the choices for the robots, which slows the game a bit.
Robots is an odd-duck in my books. I've tried it with 3-5 player games (one 3 player loaded with 2 robots). The problem i think is that since the robots were so deterministic, all players in the game end up gaming them to their advantage (for example, placing a bid on a plant no one wants, having the robot bid on it, and bail out). Some of it's "powers" that was meant to give the robot a fighting chance also highly upsets the playing field (first city is always free is ABSOLUTELY overpowered).

They're a decent substitute for "just a fun time" with low player count, but in no way replicating a player experience.

It looks like Plaid Hat is making a Bioshock Infinite game. The announcement was snuck in the press release for the collectors edition of Bioshock Infinite.

http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/collector/
fjLf1.png

I know Ken Levine is a board game fan and Plaid Hat is a solid company, so there's a good chance the game will turn out good.

Fuuuuuck. Just watch Christian Marcussen unbox Clash of Cultures. I wish I'd gotten Xater to nab me one now! Looks amazing.
Here's hoping the US release is not too far off. That game looks amazing.

Phthisis

Mage Wars ordered. I'm salivating at the thought of digging in to an incredibly deep game.

Also looking to get into Netrunner, though I'm still somewhat skeptical. Looks complex as fuck, and while I don't mind complex games (Mage Knight is probably my favorite board game), it's only worth it if the game is rewarding. Anyone have any insight? I've watched like half a dozen walkthroughs and reviews on the game and I still don't understand how you play it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh dude, it's waaaaaaaay less complex than Mage Knight. I mean there aren't enough a's to describe it. I would put it on the level with Magic even, and simpler than other LCGs though it's got some novel elements that make it seem more complex than it really is. Game is simple:

-As corp, you are trying to score agendas or flatline the runner (force him to discard below 0 cards). You score agendas by "installing" them in remote servers and then using actions and money to advance them the requisite amount. Of course you need to protect both your remote servers and your "central servers" (i.e., hand, deck, discard pile) with "Ice" (special card, installed horizontally and in front of servers to distinguish it) because:
-As runner, you are trying to steal those agendas. This is very simple to accomplish. Run on the hand, run on the deck, run on the discard pile, run on the remote servers. Anywhere you think agendas might be you go for it, because if you get past the Ice and get to an agenda it's all yours.

There's little stuff like performing traces, tagging, using agenda abilities, etc. but that's all just details.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So, uh... How's Smash Up? Asking for 2 reasons, a) it's coming to iOS, and b) it's fairly cheap, local place is selling it for 27 bucks.

Petrie

Banned
So, uh... How's Smash Up? Asking for 2 reasons, a) it's coming to iOS, and b) it's fairly cheap, local place is selling it for 27 bucks.

We enjoyed it alright with 2, probably more strategic with 4. We had hoped it'd be more of a battle, and less abut territory control though.

$27 I actually feel was too much.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
hows the game of thrones game? or Mage knight?

I think it's a phenomenal game no matter what, but if you're a fan of the series it's a must-buy.

Mage Knight is also very good. It's very confusing the first couple times but I really like most of the mechanics.

Xater

here is my Essen haul of yesterday. For some reason I did not take a picture of X-Wing...

Some impressions:

Escape - I think this game is fantastic. It is just so frantic and a great coop experience. Sure it is very luck based because of the dice but still pure fun. The quick play time if 10 minutes and easy rules make this even a no brainer as a party game.

Suburbia - Great game. The game is very easy to learn but incredibly compelling. Sure there is a lot you have to pay attention to every time you place a new tile, but it makes the game very strategical.

Rattus Cartus - For me this seems to be a clunker. The game I played was kind of predictable and boring. The black death which can cost you your win at the end wasn't even a factor for any of us. No one of use had any rats at the end of the game and I guess that is supposed to be where the tension comes from...

X-Wing - I only got to watch a few games of it because the tables were always full, but it looked like fun to me so I picked it up.

River Dragons - it's a kids game but it was interesting. I thought it was cool how you picked five actions you go through in your turn a head of time and how you have to think about what other people might choose. Not for me but if you have kids I would say something to look out for.

Fremde Federn/Copy Cat - Even after spending some time with the game I don't really know what to think about it. The game totally works but it just didn't grab me. Combining these different games is interesting but I played a bunch those and I come to them for different reasons. The combination of them just isn't as attractive to me.

@joeyjoejoeshabadoo and Neverfade: As you can see I picked up your games and I will send you a PM with the shipping information.

fenners

Some impressions:

Escape - I think this game is fantastic. It is just so frantic and a great coop experience. Sure it is very luck based because of the dice but still pure fun. The quick play time if 10 minutes and easy rules make this even a no brainer as a party game.

Suburbia - Great game. The game is very easy to learn but incredibly compelling. Sure there is a lot you have to pay attention to every time you place a new tile, but it makes the game very strategical.

Rattus Cartus - For me this seems to be a clunker. The game I played was kind of predictable and boring. The black death which can cost you your win at the end wasn't even a factor for any of us. No one of use had any rats at the end of the game and I guess that is supposed to be where the tension comes from...

X-Wing - I only got to watch a few games of it because the tables were always full, but it looked like fun to me so I picked it up.

River Dragons - it's a kids game but it was interesting. I thought it was cool how you picked five actions you go through in your turn a head of time and how you have to think about what other people might choose. Not for me but if you have kids I would say something to look out for.

Fremde Federn/Copy Cat - Even after spending some time with the game I don't really know what to think about it. The game totally works but it just didn't grab me. Combining these different games is interesting but I played a bunch those and I come to them for different reasons. The combination of them just isn't as attractive to me.

@joeyjoejoeshabadoo and Neverfade: As you can see I picked up your games and I will send you a PM with the shipping information.

Nice haul!

Been watching the BGG stream while I can at work & Suburbia looks fun. As does Sheepdogs of Pendleton Hill.

Xater

Nice haul!

Been watching the BGG stream while I can at work & Suburbia looks fun. As does Sheepdogs of Pendleton Hill.

I watched some people play Sheepdog. It definitely looked like fun. Another game that me and my girlfriend really enjoyed just because it looked nice was Tokaido. Really nice artwork on that one.

Also just have two games of X-Wing with the starting rules behind me. Really fun game. Now I'll read up on the real rules.

Played a few games last night:

Bohnanza: I somehow have never played this game before and it's really good. It's a simple bean farming/trading game from Uwe Rosenberg. We played with 7 players and was done with the game in maybe 30 minutes.

Leaping Lemmings: A GMT game I picked up in a recent math trade. The artwork is super cartoony and it's a simple game but it's looks are deceiving, this game is vicious. It was good but not a game for people who are easily offended.

Gauntlet of Fools: I don't know what to think of this one. It has an amazing theme, but the game is a bit flat. It's fast, mindless, and can be played multiple times in a short amount of time. The box says it takes 30 minutes to play, but I'd say you can get 3 or 4 games in in that time. It might work well as a drinking game but outside of that it felt more like an activity than a game.

Spartacus: Was able to get this to the table and it's awesome. I played with the full four players and we played the standard game (starting at 4 VPs). The game took us about 2 hours to play including explanation. We weren't as ruthless as we could have been but I think it's because we were still feeling out the cards and how they would work with each other.

here is my Essen haul of yesterday. For some reason I did not take a picture of X-Wing...

Some impressions:

Looks like you did well for yourself. Thanks for picking up the games I can't wait to play them.

You can get it online for $19.99 and such which is a good deal. It's a fun little game with nice art style to it. I think some expansions adding more factions (which are obviously planned as their is space for new decks to be added in the box) would make it more unique for getting very different deck combinations.

Xater

Played a few games last night:

Bohnanza: I somehow have never played this game before and it's really good. It's a simple bean farming/trading game from Uwe Rosenberg. We played with 7 players and was done with the game in maybe 30 minutes.

Yeah I don't get how some people say it takes way too long with many people. Just be efficient will trading and say what you want. I also never had it take longer than 45 minutes.

Petrie

Banned
You can get it online for $19.99 and such which is a good deal. It's a fun little game with nice art style to it. I think some expansions adding more factions (which are obviously planned as their is space for new decks to be added in the box) would make it more unique for getting very different deck combinations.

Agreed. The game is begging for more variety in factions.

Phthisis

hows the game of thrones game? or Mage knight?

Mage Knight is one of the deepest and most satisfying board games I have ever played. Every single turn is a puzzle with various solutions, and each of those puzzles contributes tot he overall larger puzzle that is trying to win the game. The only downsides are the length and complexity; in longer scenarios, even just two players can take 4-5 hours. And teaching the game to new people is incredibly daunting.

Still, amazing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom