• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdiggit

Thinking about getting some of the Munchkin games as a gift. Any recommendations? Do you need the original to play any of the others?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any place I could get a good deal for Memoir 44 in Canada. I want to get it for my nephew, but don't want to spend $60.

Icefire1424

Any place I could get a good deal for Memoir 44 in Canada. I want to get it for my nephew, but don't want to spend $60.

Not sure if Amazon ships outside of the US, but they have it for $40 - best price I've seen on it lately.

Edit: Just double checked, Amazon does indeed ship to Canada. For the record, Memoir would be worth the $60 regardless - I'm having a lot of fun with it. Currently trying to track down a copy of the Air Pack (out of print, but I think I found a coming / game store around here that has a copy).

XShagrath

I'm getting the X-Wing Core Set for X-Mas, and I saw that Amazon has all of the current expansions for $8 a piece. Should I see about getting some additional ships? I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the game, but I'm not sure my friend that I normally play with will enjoy the idea of buying his own ships, and I don't really want to fund both sides. Would getting one each of the additional ships be enough to provide an enjoyable experience without going too overboard with things?

I'm getting the X-Wing Core Set for X-Mas, and I saw that Amazon has all of the current expansions for $8 a piece. Should I see about getting some additional ships? I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the game, but I'm not sure my friend that I normally play with will enjoy the idea of buying his own ships, and I don't really want to fund both sides. Would getting one each of the additional ships be enough to provide an enjoyable experience without going too overboard with things?

Like most miniature games, you are going to want to buy more ships and will want the next ships in the next wave as well. The core set is just a starter pack to introduce the game, but to make a playable force for standard games requires about 4-6 ships per side. The core set itself will only keep you interested for a short amount of time as it's very limited. This is going to be an ever expanding game and unless you got someone else to go into the game as well, you will be funding both sides with ships to play.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if Amazon ships outside of the US, but they have it for $40 - best price I've seen on it lately.

Edit: Just double checked, Amazon does indeed ship to Canada. For the record, Memoir would be worth the $60 regardless - I'm having a lot of fun with it. Currently trying to track down a copy of the Air Pack (out of print, but I think I found a coming / game store around here that has a copy).

Pretty good price, but then the shipping brings it up to the same price in Canada. It is a Christmas gift, but we set limits on how much we are spending. Might have to make an exception.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Agricola is simple but can be tough to learn and scary to newbie players due to the poor rulebook and all the cards. Puerto Rico is very easy and straight forward to learn/play.

Puerto Rico is a fantastic game but for a group coming off of Catan I would recommend Lords of Waterdeep. No dice, will introduce your group to worker placement, very thematic, fast, and it is fairly cheap.

Stone Age is another good "next step" game but uses a lot of dice, probably more luck based than Catan. Fantastic game and theme though.

Puerto Rico is a fantastic game but for a group coming off of Catan I would recommend Lords of Waterdeep. No dice, will introduce your group to worker placement, very thematic, fast, and it is fairly cheap.

Stone Age is another good "next step" game but uses a lot of dice, probably more luck based than Catan. Fantastic game and theme though.

I think Puerto Rico is easy enough, I just don't recommend LowD due to it's theme which some more casual folks might not like. Had some folks over who just automatically were not into the game before we even started because of the whole fantasy thing and having D&D on the cover. PR is more casual neutral and I think Stone Age also works good in that sense.

I think Puerto Rico is easy enough, I just don't recommend LowD due to it's theme which some more casual folks might not like. Had some folks over who just automatically were not into the game before we even started because of the whole fantasy thing and having D&D on the cover. PR is more casual neutral and I think Stone Age also works good in that sense.

Yup, always be aware of whom you play with. Fantasy games are a HUGE turnoff for most people. I love catacombs but that games get so much little table time due to its theme and horrible artwork. Stone Age on the other hand is almost always a hit.

Icefire1424

Yup, always be aware of whom you play with. Fantasy games are a HUGE turnoff for most people. I love catacombs but that games get so much little table time due to its theme and horrible artwork. Stone Age on the other hand is almost always a hit.

So true, that. This thread reminded me of some of the games I played when I was younger, and "Hero Quest" came to mind. Not exactly a hardcore fantasy game in any sense of the word, but still fantasy enough that I really wouldn't go looking for something similar nowadays. Although I would rather like to play something like that again...*sigh.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno, the whole role selection mechanic in PR is gonna stump folks. I have a bear of a time trying to explain it to folks. Then again, there are lots of videos of the game now, plus the iPad version.

LoW and the other basic worker placement games can get folks used to the idea of a game without fixed turn orders and actions (even if PR isn't really a worker placement game). Plus it can launch folks into caylus, Agricola, dominant species, etc because LoW borrows so many mechanics.

And I find folks not into DnD quickly reduce the game to VP acquisition and colored cube production with all theme stripped away. Is a generic European merchant skin really that much more appealing?

Anyway, either game is great, but I don't think you can just open the box and start playing PR like you can with LoW.

And I find folks not into DnD quickly reduce the game to VP acquisition and colored cube production with all theme stripped away. Is a generic European merchant skin really that much more appealing?

Yup. Seen it many times with folks who instantly turn off their brains at just the picture of the cover of something fantasy or sci fi themed and they pretty much force themselves to not pay attention or want to like it. I've been told just from taking out certain game boxes "I don't want to play that", even without them knowing what the game is like.

Deadstar

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on the Defenders of the Realm Hero Expansions? They are around $20 for each on amazon which seems a bit steep.

Pachinko

Am I alone in not enjoying Agricola that much ? I've had 4 games now and it just feels way over designed , also lacks much player interaction. It's as though it needs another couple of turns at the end and a few more in the middle.

Am I alone in not enjoying Agricola that much ? I've had 4 games now and it just feels way over designed , also lacks much player interaction. It's as though it needs another couple of turns at the end and a few more in the middle.

I think it's very simple so I fail to see how it's overdesigned. I agree it doesn't have direct confrontation, but taking that resources someone else needs is almost as bad. Also, there are some decks which provide a lot more interactions.

The think about the couple of turns is by design, the game ends when you almost have your engine built.

Do you like other economic and worker placement games? As many have the aspect of playing by yourself with minimal interaction with others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man in Agricola I'm always worried about what other people are doing and other people are constantly screwing me over too. :p

I guess if you are looking for vs. dice-chucking (Carson City) yeah it doesn't have that but for a worker-placement game resources are so scarce that you will be bumping into each other constantly.

That's like saying Demon's Souls needs save points.
Exactly, the whole point of that end game is to feel the pressure of not having enough time to do everything you want.

I'm ok with this. Considering the low price of the base game it seems like they wanted to get that out to market asap and sell the "rest" of the game later. Should be fun.

Been enjoying the hell out of Escape: The Curse of the Temple. It's going to be great for casual gaming over Christmas. Short (10 minutes), addictive, tense, easy to explain to anyone in minutes and seemingly universally liked by everyone I've shown it to.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Exactly, the whole point of that end game is to feel the pressure of not having enough time to do everything you want.

I'm ok with this. Considering the low price of the base game it seems like they wanted to get that out to market asap and sell the "rest" of the game later. Should be fun.

I played Spartacus at BGG with merc and was surprised by how much I liked it. Could tell offhand though that some dudes were more powerful than others. Hopefully the expansion fixes that and if so I might jump in.

wanders

Been enjoying the hell out of Escape: The Curse of the Temple. It's going to be great for casual gaming over Christmas. Short (10 minutes), addictive, tense, easy to explain to anyone in minutes and seemingly universally liked by everyone I've shown it to.

Cool just checked out a video. Looks really fun to play!

tm24

So i just found out Lords of Waterdeep is getting an expansion for this August and it contains two expansions in it. Yes please

So yea they did one of those stupid "like us on facebook for an announcement" for the Legendary expansion info. So yea it was just to announce the August date for the expansion which they already gave out on BGG :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well I've tried like 5-6 times to get into the Innovation expansion but it just does not ever stick. Seems to add way too text-heavy cards and mechanics that just gum up the works. Bummer. Hope the next one is better because I love the base game.

Neverfade

Well I've tried like 5-6 times to get into the Innovation expansion but it just does not ever stick. Seems to add way too text-heavy cards and mechanics that just gum up the works. Bummer. Hope the next one is better because I love the base game.

Have you read the rules? Looks great.

But then again, I like the first xpack.

Have you read the rules? Looks great.

But then again, I like the first xpack.

Seems rare for me to be agreeing with Neverfade's gaming opinions and disagreeing with Astrolad's, but I also like the first expansion quite a bit. Really like the echo effects, in particular.

Do dislike the pain that setup becomes though. I hear the next expansion has improved setup rules.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seems rare for me to be agreeing with Neverfade's gaming opinions and disagreeing with Astrolad's, but I also like the first expansion quite a bit. Really like the echo effects, in particular.

Do dislike the pain that setup becomes though. I hear the next expansion has improved setup rules.
They already updated the setup rules on BGG. Don't really find the new setup much more convenient though. Makes the gameplay clunkier too.

Slacker

Just saw the Carcassonne Mini expansions for the first time in the FLGS. Anyone know if they're worthy?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17175/carcassonne-minis

qDj0Y.jpg

tm24

I need to find a way to store the faction decks for Netrunner. Actually, i need to find a bunch of different sized zipline bags period for everything. Anyone have some ideas where i can find packs of different sized ziplined bags?

Just saw the Carcassonne Mini expansions for the first time in the FLGS. Anyone know if they're worthy?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17175/carcassonne-minis

qDj0Y.jpg

At this point, probably the last thing carc needs is another expansion. I love the game and the expansions seem cheap enough so I'll be buying them, unlike other games, these take very little space.

It seems Carc lost a good portion of its following after the catapult, iOS app and constante delays of the latest expansions.

Petrie

Banned
At this point, probably the last thing carc needs is another expansion. I love the game and the expansions seem cheap enough so I'll be buying them, unlike other games, these take very little space.

It seems Carc lost a good portion of its following after the catapult, iOS app and constante delays of the latest expansions.

Yeah I think I'll be sticking with my River and river 2, Traders and Builders, and Inn's and Cathedrals for my Carc experience. Gets a little bit out there beyond those, at least for me.

Neverfade

Anyone played the Uncharted card game that recently came out for Vita? Looking for some impressions but I might just bite since its only 5 bucks.

I also read up on Archipelago. Not sure how I missed this one but looks like a pretty cool exploration/trading semi-euro that's somewhat heavy and has a strong theme.

Yeah I think I'll be sticking with my River and river 2, Traders and Builders, and Inn's and Cathedrals for my Carc experience. Gets a little bit out there beyond those, at least for me.

Well I usually play the base game plus 1 more expansion. These seem perfect for short games.

Anyone played the Uncharted card game that recently came out for Vita? Looking for some impressions but I might just bite since its only 5 bucks.

I bought it but haven't tried it yet. Might be able to give some impressions tomorrow.

I played CO2 last night. The goal of the game is to build green power plants in the 5 regions of the world. Over time a if a region's power needs aren't met they will add polluting power which raise's the world's total pollution. The game isn't co-operative but it has a way everyone can lose and that's if the pollution levels get too high before you finish the last decade. The way the game is designed you have to sort of work together or everyone will lose. We all ended up losing due to pollution by the fourth decade, so we obviously didn't work together enough to keep pollution down. Mechanically, the game is pretty simple but there are a lot of little rules that make things difficult. You get three mandatory actions and you can only do one of those a turn and three "free" actions and you can do as many of those as you like.

It's a good game that has some problems, mainly with it's aesthetics. The icons could be clearer and the board, while pretty, can get busy and some of the icons on the board get lost. Also the 5 player game feels too difficult. You just don't get enough turns in the game to do anything effective. This might change the better you get at it but it's still hard as hell.

I also played Tzolk'in again. This time I felt more in control and actually almost won. Now that's a great game and on of my favorites this year.

Neverfade

There's an OT hidden somewhere in the Gaming section. Let me see if i can find it

EDIT: Here it is http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502827

Skimmed through that, but was just looking for some impressions from boardgamers, and maybe there's some in there, but I'm at work on my phone and heavy browsing isn't ideal. :)

I also played Tzolk'in again. This time I felt more in control and actually almost won. Now that's a great game and on of my favorites this year.

Glad to hear this. Our tastes seem to gel on these types of games and I haven't had a chance to play it. My buddy said he played a prototype at the gathering of friends but it didn't set his Carhartts on fire. He's a big art guy so I imagine it being ore preduction quality probably soured him a touch. Anyway, hope I can get it out this weekend for a play.

Got my Purge Kickstarter in. What an awful rulebook... really bad. And to make it worse they put it on one of those big fold out poster sheets, so you don't have an actual booklet. Go on their site to see if they got a real rulebook? Yup they got a larger rulebook, and it's friggin 30 pages.... it looks like some slapped together word document. And for a game that comes with 6 decks of cards to keep separate, it puts it all in a box that opens from the top? Pretty disappointed in the whole thing without having even gotten to play it yet. But I'm sure our first play through will not go well with this crappy rule sheet.

And the game seems to require lot of record keeping on the cards so you need to supply your own tokens and markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom