• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenners

Got my Purge Kickstarter in. What an awful rulebook... really bad. And to make it worse they put it on one of those big fold out poster sheets, so you don't have an actual booklet. Go on their site to see if they got a real rulebook? Yup they got a larger rulebook, and it's friggin 30 pages.... it looks like some slapped together word document. And for a game that comes with 6 decks of cards to keep separate, it puts it all in a box that opens from the top? Pretty disappointed in the whole thing without having even gotten to play it yet. But I'm sure our first play through will not go well with this crappy rule sheet.

And the game seems to require lot of record keeping on the cards so you need to supply your own tokens and markers.

That's a pretty quick turnaround for a boardgame kickstarter. Can't say I'm too surprised, the rule thread on BGG was a mess.

That's a pretty quick turnaround for a boardgame kickstarter. Can't say I'm too surprised, the rule thread on BGG was a mess.

Yea scared to even play this since I'm sure it's gonna be sloppy. And it's sad that the box says 2-6 players. The rules do not even say how you play the game with more than 2 players. The rules included only are for 1 on 1.... yet you say up to 6 on the friggin box? How the rules are worded are pretty piss poor too.

KidDork

My gaming group wanted to take a break now and then from our Pathfinder sessions, so we've been switching in tabletop games of late. Last week we gave Quarriors a try.

Once we all got used to the rules, we did enjoy ourselves. I was a little daunted by all the dice and cards, but once my wife patiently explained it to us, the veil of ignorance began to fall. The rules are hard to grasp at first, but once you start to play it falls together.

For me, what's cool about it is the dice--they're not as heavy as I would perhaps like but still pretty decent, considering the price of the game (around fifty bucks Canadian) and the sheer number you receive. We used an old Yahtzee cup to roll, and the rattling sound was pure heaven.The group really got into it after about half an hour of going back and forth to the rulebook. A decent game, with more strategy towards the end than I expected.

And for the next session, we picked up Settlers of Catan.

Anyone in here played the second edition of Decent: Journeys in the Dark? What is the general consensus on it?

I own almost all the expansions to the first edition of the game (don't have Road to Legend or Sea of Blood) and I'm wondering if it is worth getting the new edition or if my group and I should just keep rocking v1.0.

Anyone in here played the second edition of Decent: Journeys in the Dark? What is the general consensus on it?

I own almost all the expansions to the first edition of the game (don't have Road to Legend or Sea of Blood) and I'm wondering if it is worth getting the new edition or if my group and I should just keep rocking v1.0.

If your group really likes the original Descent, they might not like 2nd edition. 2nd edition feels almost like a completely different game and is designed around very quick play sessions with some very simplified concepts. Lot of people seem to really like 2E, but lot of them also seemed to not be big fans of the original game either.

2E is good for quick sessions since you basically are playing a small encounter, while original Descent was basically a full on Dungeon crawl. With 2E you essentially set up a battle scene with an objective, which then leads into a 2nd battle encounter.

If anything, get 2E if it sounds interesting, but keep all your 1st edition stuff, as it basically is like owning two different games.

If your group really likes the original Descent, they might not like 2nd edition. 2nd edition feels almost like a completely different game and is designed around very quick play sessions with some very simplified concepts. Lot of people seem to really like 2E, but lot of them also seemed to not be big fans of the original game either.

2E is good for quick sessions since you basically are playing a small encounter, while original Descent was basically a full on Dungeon crawl. With 2E you essentially set up a battle scene with an objective, which then leads into a 2nd battle encounter.

If anything, get 2E if it sounds interesting, but keep all your 1st edition stuff, as it basically is like owning two different games.

Thanks for the response!

I guess I'll give it a go since my group has had some trouble dealing with standard Decent's super long play time in the past.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Bought 7 Wonders and Last Will today. Guy said 7 Wonders wasn't that good for 2p, but much better for 3+. Does he have a point?

Also, how are the 7 wonders expansions? (Or is there only 1 anyway?)

wanders

Bought 7 Wonders and Last Will today. Guy said 7 Wonders wasn't that good for 2p, but much better for 3+. Does he have a point?

With the 2 player variant you are basically taking turns playing an extra player.

I've never played with 2 players, seems like it wouldn't be great. But it's INCREDIBLE with 4+, maybe my favorite game. Leaders expansion is decent, Cities expansion is very good, but combined they're excellent.

Smiley90

I've never played with 2 players, seems like it wouldn't be great. But it's INCREDIBLE with 4+, maybe my favorite game. Leaders expansion is decent, Cities expansion is very good, but combined they're excellent.

Aight, I'll make sure to get at least a 3p game going not to spoil the experience. Thanks!

Neverfade

Holy shit. After watching some unboxing videos and the tutorial of Star Wars LCG, I'm so incredibly stoked.

One thing: Where the hell are the Biggs & Wedge cards for the Rebel Alliance faction? I guess they need SOMETHING for the force packs, considering a lot of the heavy hitters made the core set.

RyanDG

Does the Agricola expansion Farmers of the Moor play okay with two people? My wife's favorite game is Agricola, and though we are able to play the original with two players quite a bit (and enjoy it), we have had a lot less time being able to get more than us together lately to play the game. I'm thinking about picking it up for her for Christmas, but I am slightly concerned it may be more geared to more than two players.

Violet_0

Banned
say, can anyone here recommend me a fun, strategic boardgame for 5 players? Some of our favorite ones are Carcassonne, Shogun an Dominion. Small Worlds was the most recent one we got but was rather disappointing. Player interaction is very important, and ideally the game shouldn't be too complicated (for example, we never made it through rulebook of Game of Thrones). Something like Port Royal e: Puerto Rico is on the opposite end of what I'm looking for

say, can anyone here recommend me a fun, strategic boardgame for 5 players? Some of our favorite ones are Carcassonne, Shogun an Dominion. Small Worlds was the most recent one we got but was rather disappointing. Player interaction is very important, and ideally the game shouldn't be too complicated (for example, we never made it through rulebook of Game of Thrones). Something like Port Royal is on the opposite end of what I'm looking for
Cosmic Encounter - The goal of the game is to have your spaceships on five planets outside of your own system. Each player has a different power based on the alien race they receive at the the beginning of the game and that's where the complexity and fun comes in. There is lots of negotiation and lots of player interaction as well.

King of Tokyo - The goal fo the game is either to be the last monster standing or be the first monster to 20 points. The game has dice rolling similar to Yahtzee (roll three times and keep some dice in between rolls) the dice can be used for scoring points, attacking, healing, and gaing energy which are used to buy power cards. The expansion was also just released that adds unique powers to the monsters.

Slacker

say, can anyone here recommend me a fun, strategic boardgame for 5 players? Some of our favorite ones are Carcassonne, Shogun an Dominion. Small Worlds was the most recent one we got but was rather disappointing. Player interaction is very important, and ideally the game shouldn't be too complicated (for example, we never made it through rulebook of Game of Thrones). Something like Port Royal is on the opposite end of what I'm looking for

Ever try Puerto Rico? It's medium-weight, but based on the other games your group plays it should be doable. The how-to-play-podcast guy gives it the same difficulty rating as Shogun. It's a great game, and the interaction can be very amusing.

And how about Risk Legacy? If you have the same five people playing this the whole way through it should be good fun.

Violet_0

Banned
Cosmic Encounter - The goal of the game is to have your spaceships on five planets outside of your own system. Each player has a different power based on the alien race they receive at the the beginning of the game and that's where the complexity and fun comes in. There is lots of negotiation and lots of player interaction as well.

King of Tokyo - The goal fo the game is either to be the last monster standing or be the first monster to 20 points. The game has dice rolling similar to Yahtzee (roll three times and keep some dice in between rolls) the dice can be used for scoring points, attacking, healing, and gaing energy which are used to buy power cards. The expansion was also just released that adds unique powers to the monsters.

Ever try Puerto Rico? It's medium-weight, but based on the other games your group plays it should be doable. The how-to-play-podcast guy gives it the same difficulty rating as Shogun. It's a great game, and the interaction can be very amusing.

And how about Risk Legacy? If you have the same five people playing this the whole way through it should be good fun.

thanks guys, I'll look these games up. I actually meant to use Puerto Rico (got the names mixed up) as an example for a game that really didn't work for us. I noticed that there are a number of really interesting looking games like Cosmic Encounter (well, they share the Master of Orion/Alpha Centauri space diplomacy theme anyway) which are ranking quite high on boardgamegeek, but unfortunately almost none of them allow for 5 players

Does the Agricola expansion Farmers of the Moor play okay with two people? My wife's favorite game is Agricola, and though we are able to play the original with two players quite a bit (and enjoy it), we have had a lot less time being able to get more than us together lately to play the game. I'm thinking about picking it up for her for Christmas, but I am slightly concerned it may be more geared to more than two players.

I think it's great two player, just like the original.

Neverfade

say, can anyone here recommend me a fun, strategic boardgame for 5 players? Some of our favorite ones are Carcassonne, Shogun an Dominion. Small Worlds was the most recent one we got but was rather disappointing. Player interaction is very important, and ideally the game shouldn't be too complicated (for example, we never made it through rulebook of Game of Thrones). Something like Port Royal e: Puerto Rico is on the opposite end of what I'm looking for

I'd recommend giving GoT another look. Its rules are no moreso (and probably less) complicated than Shogun's...

thanks guys, I'll look these games up. I actually meant to use Puerto Rico (got the names mixed up) as an example for a game that really didn't work for us. I noticed that there are a number of really interesting looking games like Cosmic Encounter (well, they share the Master of Orion/Alpha Centauri space diplomacy theme anyway) which are ranking quite high on boardgamegeek, but unfortunately almost none of them allow for 5 players
If you are looking for space games, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition is a well regarded space game. It's a tough game to play and will take pretty much 8 hours to complete.

Eclipse is also highly rated, currently 5 on BGG. It's a Eurofied 4x game and some call it Twilight Imperium light (which is sort of true, sort of not). It's easier to play than TI and won't take you all day like TI will. It currently goes to 6 but the expansion will bump up the player count to 9 (which is insanity).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I almost pulled the trigger on Escape because it seems like the perfect holiday game, but even though I think it's quite fun the self-policing combined with tense time pressure just bothers me a bit. If you're really "rushing" through the adventure like you're supposed to be if you've used the proper difficulty for your group, you can conceivably screw up a lot unless you force yourself to slow down a bit and dedicate a little bit of self-policing time to your thinking. A bit troublesome for me at least though I definitely get why people love that game.

What I would enjoy is an iOS app like spaceteam where you can just all play on your own devices but the game does the rules monitoring for you.

I almost pulled the trigger on Escape because it seems like the perfect holiday game, but even though I think it's quite fun the self-policing combined with tense time pressure just bothers me a bit. If you're really "rushing" through the adventure like you're supposed to be if you've used the proper difficulty for your group, you can conceivably screw up a lot unless you force yourself to slow down a bit and dedicate a little bit of self-policing time to your thinking. A bit troublesome for me at least though I definitely get why people love that game.

What I would enjoy is an iOS app like spaceteam where you can just all play on your own devices but the game does the rules monitoring for you.
Have you checked out Space Cadets yet? It looks like it might be what you are looking for.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll definitely give it a shot though though I have a lot of traditional Pandemic-style co-ops so hopefully it's novel enough (what is cool about Escape, despite the flaws).

I don't know if I was overly intimidated by the Mage Knight difficulty hype or what, but I've read the walkthrough and the manual and it seems really straightforward. Not simple or anything, but definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. Playing my first game tomorrow so we'll see.

Neverfade

Anyone interested in copies of City of Horror or LOTR: Nazgul? Will sell for a fair price or trade if anyone has anything interesting up for grabs.

Placed a CSI order for

Clash of Cultures
Archipelago
Escape + Doomed Promo.

I'm fairly skeptical about escape as well...here's hoping it goes over well.

Violet_0

Banned
got a question about Cosmic Encounter - it seems that newest version (for 3-5 players) is only available in English here, which wouldn't really be a problem except that one person in our group doesn't speak the language. Now, I think we could easily translate the game on the fly, I was just wondering there's some game material that should be translated in advance, like for example cards or game objectives that have to be kept secret from other players, and how much work that would involve

got a question about Cosmic Encounter - it seems that newest version (for 3-5 players) is only available in English here, which wouldn't really be a problem except that one person in our group doesn't speak the language. Now, I think we could easily translate the game on the fly, I was just wondering there's some game material that should be translated in advance, like for example cards or game objectives that have to be kept secret from other players, and how much work that would involve
Most of the game's cards are just numbers. You will need to translate the flair cards and go over the alien powers. I can't think of any other component that is language dependent.

Xater

Holy shit. After watching some unboxing videos and the tutorial of Star Wars LCG, I'm so incredibly stoked.

One thing: Where the hell are the Biggs & Wedge cards for the Rebel Alliance faction? I guess they need SOMETHING for the force packs, considering a lot of the heavy hitters made the core set.

I am interested in it as well. It seems to at least partially solve my deck building issue with these games.

Anyone interested in copies of City of Horror or LOTR: Nazgul? Will sell for a fair price or trade if anyone has anything interesting up for grabs.

Placed a CSI order for

Clash of Cultures
Archipelago
Escape + Doomed Promo.

I'm fairly skeptical about escape as well...here's hoping it goes over well.

I love Escape....

Smiley90

Damn 7 Wonders is awesome. And so amazingly simple. Will definitely get to keep playing it.

Just had a game of Catan and have a rules question.

My mates think that turn order after placing initial settlement should be determined by another roll of the dice.

I reckon that turn order is based on turn order of settlement placement. That way the guy who goes first should roll first. Going first is bad statistically for my group, mainly the person going last or 2nd last wins. This way there is less of a chance that the robber hurts him early in the game.

I lost the argument and eventually came 2nd on 8 points.

Anyone with a definitive answer?

Neverfade

Turn order is in the same order as the first set of settlement placements.

The robber argument is bunk. Rolling a die total to activate him is random and everyone collects resources again based on a random die total. I don't see how turn order is going to affect this,

Turn order is in the same order as the first set of settlement placements.

The robber argument is bunk. Rolling a die total to activate him is random and everyone collects resources again based on a random die total. I don't see how turn order is going to affect this,

Thanks. I know it it might not be too statistically advantageous but by going first, you have the first crack of rolling a 7 and placing it on a position that might affect 2 or 3 others and it might stay there a while because it will take another turn cycle before someone can play the robber card.

Neverfade

Which is offset by the fact that the first player places the last settlement, most likely in a spot that's slightly less good than his first choice. I think it statistically all balances out over the course of a game.

There will definitely be times where you accidentally cheat, and accidentally screw yourself over by either picking up curses and rolling them, or picking up something you needed and re-rolling it.

It doesn't really bother me too much and since it's a game that can be played many times in one sitting it becomes easier to self-police quickly. I can imagine it being absolutely manic with 4-5 players but I've only played with 2-3 so far.

zulux21

So... I was doing my normal check good will for cheap interesting looking board games like I normally do and I found a game called Ideal Challenge... of which I can only find this reference to it on the internet

I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard anything about it?

I want to play D&D, but I don't want to play D&D. I want to level up and equip stuff. Maybe skill trees. RPG stuff. In a board game.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom