• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

It's not out yet. It doesn't have to be strictly 2p. I was eyeing Suburbia and The First Sparks.

Oh? That I didn't know... apologies.

I really need impressions for this one. It looks so dry it might as well be an abstract. The thing is I enjoy the 2P Agricola so much that I am still interested in it if it is of the same quality.

Yeah... I have watched a youtube video and while the mechanics look interesting (particularly the resource board), the buildings and rest of it look like a math game. Might avoid for now.

zulfate

Sorry for the posts back to back, but this hit pretty close to home, and I felt compelled to respond since I'm definitely in the same boat. I was more of a "casual" gamer back in high school (Warhammer, Hero Quest, Star Wars CCG, etc.) who only got back into it in the last few years. Started innocently enough with some basic games like Stratego and Risk, but after picking up Catan and Memoir '44, I was hooked again. The wife was never a gamer (except tiddly winks, seriously), but she has enjoyed the last few games of Memoir we've played, so that's something.

I'm obviously still pretty new here (the "Junior" should be a dead giveaway), but this thread has steered me right more than a few times. From my experience though, if you're looking to get the girlfriend playing, the gateway games in the OP and mentioned throughout are excellent choices. Ticket to Ride is probably the one to do it - finally got a chance to play, and I absolutely see the draw.

Good luck getting the gf hooked!
You must get ticket to ride lol its a wonderful gateway game, i really want memoir 44 too.....fuck so any damn good games!

Nice! :D

Yeah zulfate & icefire, honestly gateway games are some of my favorite period (not even just for gateway contexts). I could play Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Pandemic, and Alhambra any time.

Ugh i almost bought pandemic 2 days ago -_-

Does Dominion count as a boardgame?

Anyway, I bought Dominion from a fellow user and it is a blast. My roommates, girlfriend, and I can't quit playing. We're finding out all kinds of strategies between the cards. A great combo is Throne Room and Feast. It's fun to get rid of curse cards with Chapel or even just thin out your deck so your chance of pulling a silver or gold is higher.

I'm looking into getting an expansion soon. I want either Intrigue or Prosperity, but I can't decide which one to get first. Does anyone have an expansion they no longer want/need?

The same user also sold me Android: Netrunner (unplayed), but I don't feel like I will be playing it any time soon because of Dominion's grasp on all of us. I'd like to trade A:N for a Dominion expansion, if possible.

Played Hooyah! Navy Seal Card Game. Actually pretty fun little game. The theme is kinda lightly tacked on being mainly a color card drafting game, but still is fun coop venture. Designer also posted up a tweak to the rules to make game MUCH harder since apparently the publisher who mainly does casual games wanted an easier game to release. His original design of the game is with the small rule tweak makes quite a difference.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does Dominion count as a boardgame?

Anyway, I bought Dominion from a fellow user and it is a blast. My roommates, girlfriend, and I can't quit playing. We're finding out all kinds of strategies between the cards. A great combo is Throne Room and Feast. It's fun to get rid of curse cards with Chapel or even just thin out your deck so your chance of pulling a silver or gold is higher.

I'm looking into getting an expansion soon. I want either Intrigue or Prosperity, but I can't decide which one to get first. Does anyone have an expansion they no longer want/need?

The same user also sold me Android: Netrunner (unplayed), but I don't feel like I will be playing it any time soon because of Dominion's grasp on all of us. I'd like to trade A:N for a Dominion expansion, if possible.

Yep, probably half the games we regularly discuss here don't really have a board component. My top 3 Dominion expansions are:
-Seaside
-Prosperity
-Intrigue

But they're all good except Alchemy and maybe Dark Ages.

NR is great; you should hang onto it as a 2P game if you can handle the decent complexity.

so....

been stalking this thread a while now. We have a fairly big group going atm with what seems to be a regular turnout. Most of the time we are hitting 6+ with no problems. We are currently rocking Arkham Horror which is going down a storm and we are looking to the next thing to try out. We have Battlestar Gallatica to play next however with a 6 player limit it doesn't quite meet what I am looking for. Are there any recommendations for bigger board games of 7+ people that are not "party games"?

so....

been stalking this thread a while now. We have a fairly big group going atm with what seems to be a regular turnout. Most of the time we are hitting 6+ with no problems. We are currently rocking Arkham Horror which is going down a storm and we are looking to the next thing to try out. We have Battlestar Gallatica to play next however with a 6 player limit it doesn't quite meet what I am looking for. Are there any recommendations for bigger board games of 7+ people that are not "party games"?

Eclipse with the new expansion is 9 players! It has the added bonus of being amazing too!

Edit: Also, formula D is an assload of players, 10 I think, and its pretty cool. And ive heard good things about 7 Wonders, but ive never played it.

Here's a good link on BGG with a few others. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/120080/5-games-for-large-groups-7-players

so....

7 Wonders came immediately to mind, it only plays up to 7 though. It's a card drafting/tableau building game. Each player plays a civ and you are trying to build a civilization by drafting cards. You get dealt a hand of cards you pick one to build and pass the hand to the person on your left or right, depending on the round. This continues until the round (called ages in the game) is done, then you calculate your military strength and go on to the next age. It's a great game that plays in roughly 30 minutes, and since there are simultaneous turns it lasts 30 minutes regardless of the number of players playing.

The Resistance, is a werewolf style game without player elimination. It can play up to 10, I believe, and the object of the game is to complete a certain amount of missions in five rounds. The rub is the Resistance member have been infiltrated by spies who are looking to sabotage the mission. Similar to BSG each player is dealt a loyalty card at the beginning of the game, the difference here is that all the spies know who the other spies are but the resistance members do not. The game lasts about 30-45 minutes depending on the discussions that can go on, but for the most part it's a quick game.

Neverfade

so....

7+ is a nightmare for us. If no one wants to play a party game, we just split into two groups at that point.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so....

As always, the problem with the 7+ games (even Formula D) is that you get into some insane amounts of downtime.

This is where you start to split the group up, get multiple games going, switch up the groups, etc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
On the lighter, but still non-party side is King of Tokyo. Also RoboRally as long as you can trust everyone to properly process their moves (i.e., catch it even if the screwed up right and left in their program :p). The RR issue can be handled pretty well if you have the guy on your left actually execute your program for you.

7 Wonders came immediately to mind, it only plays up to 7 though. It's a card drafting/tableau building game. Each player plays a civ and you are trying to build a civilization by drafting cards. You get dealt a hand of cards you pick one to build and pass the hand to the person on your left or right, depending on the round. This continues until the round (called ages in the game) is done, then you calculate your military strength and go on to the next age. It's a great game that plays in roughly 30 minutes, and since there are simultaneous turns it lasts 30 minutes regardless of the number of players playing.

8, with the Cities expansion...

Yep, probably half the games we regularly discuss here don't really have a board component. My top 3 Dominion expansions are:
-Seaside
-Prosperity
-Intrigue

But they're all good except Alchemy and maybe Dark Ages.

NR is great; you should hang onto it as a 2P game if you can handle the decent complexity.
I decided to order Prosperity first. It was the most fun because of the bigger economy. I got to try both Prosperity and Intrigue out thanks to Androminion (Dominion on Android). I will defintely be getting Intrigue next. I also ordered 1k Mayday Eurocard Sleeves for $22. Now, I want to make a board/tray for all the cards.

Yea hate having too many people for game nights. I'm happy when I see one or two cancel, meaning we will have enough for a nice regular game of something instead of having to break out a party game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No async right? I'd definitely give SW another shot if the game had async, but I know DoW is vehemently anti-async unfortunately.

Omikron

Mystery platform they would love to port to, bet its PC, they have previously been very anti Android.

Edit: Watched video... they specifically mention android.

Bonethug

Does anyone here have a Crokinole board?

I currently backed the new Mayday KS for their 2013 run of boards, but their past issues and latest update have me reconsidering.
I am thinking about getting a Muzzies instead.

Neverfade

Does anyone here have a Crokinole board?

I currently backed the new Mayday KS for their 2013 run of boards, but their past issues and latest update have me reconsidering.
I am thinking about getting a Muzzies instead.

I have a Hilinski. It's fucking amazing. Bail on that Mayday bullshit. Isn't it 150? I paid 180 for mine and its god-tier quality.

Edit: I see its a little cheaper than 150. I dunno. Seems like a gamble, and personally I'm against giving Seth Hyatt a fucking dime. Dude's a crook.

I have a Hilinski. It's fucking amazing. Bail on that Mayday bullshit. Isn't it 150? I paid 180 for mine and its god-tier quality.

Edit: I see its a little cheaper than 150. I dunno. Seems like a gamble, and personally I'm against giving Seth Hyatt a fucking dime. Dude's a crook.
This. From what I understand Mayday's boards are really cheap. Plus the guy did some really shady shit the last go around with crokinole boards.
So i asked this a few pages back but is small world any good....i think its a no, but it looks fun. Thanks alot guys
Small World is decent. I got kind of burnt out on the game. It felt samey after awhile so I ended up getting rid of the game. Small World feels a bit like Risk without the dice. It scales well and is easy enough to play with new gamers. If you want to try it out and have an iPad, there is an app out now. It's only limited in the number of players that can play, but it has all the rules and base game races. It'll give you a good idea on if the game is right for you or not.

fenners

Listen to this man.

Neverfade

n7h98.jpg

Thar she is, in all her glory.

Has anyone played or owns Agents of Smersh? I'd love to hear opinions or impressions. I'm pretty much set on acquiring Pandemic:OTB, Ghost Stories, Flash Point (and the expansions), Elder Sign and Agents of Smersh.

Has anyone played or owns Agents of Smersh? I'd love to hear opinions or impressions. I'm pretty much set on acquiring Pandemic:OTB, Ghost Stories, Flash Point (and the expansions), Elder Sign and Agents of Smersh.
I own it and played a few times. It's a good game that takes the storytelling from Tales of the Arabian Nights and adds a game to it. The game is really random and success can hinder on both a random die draw, die roll, and of course encounter. I've played it four times now and the difficulty ranged from stupid easy to pretty damn hard. As long as you go in with the intent to be entertained and not trying to beat the game you'll have fun.

Over the past few weeks I've played a few board games, though they are of the non-board variety, but it seems like most in this thread are like that.

My friend brought over Dominion a few weeks ago when I was hanging out with him and some other friends. I had honestly never even heard of the game before, but before long we had delved in and ended up playing it for hours. He also brought the Seaside expansion, which we mixed in a few hours after starting.

The first game we played we started with the preset base game I guess it is, but after that we did the randomizer to decide what cards to use. Well, except for the last game, which was the only one where we did all Seaside and did a preset game that involved the Pirate Ship card. I forget what the specific preset game was called. That last game ended up lasting like an hour to and hour and a half, while the other ones lasted an hour. The combination of Pirate Ship and Embargo pretty much left us with no funds other than what we acquired through Pirate Ship. I will definitely have to buy this game at some point. Are there any specific sets you guys recommend over the others? I know I have to buy the base set first to get the coin cards and such, but when I get to any expansions.

The other game, The Resistance, I had actually played before when the same friend above hosted people at his own apartment and a friend of his from out of town brought it. None of us had ever heard of it then, and he said he only bought it because it was one of the first games to come up when searching for best board games online. We ended up playing this time with even more people than the time before, was nine.

This is really a fun game that can change round to round. One of the times we played I was a spy and had almost successfully made everyone think that a non-spy was in fact a spy. However, one of the other spies screwed up on the fourth round where two have to say yes for the mission to pass. Making everyone doubt someone they trusted all game is one of the best elements of the game to me. Just great party fun.

Also they got one more game in the series, Phantom Leader which is set around the Vietnam conflict, it's one of their older/first games in the Leader series so it can be harder to find possibly.

Wasn't DVG also going to publish/upgrade Phantom at one point? Whatever happened to that?

Pretty sure there was also going to be an Israeli one at some point.

I'm not entirely certain what is and isn't out and what is and isn't coming. The info is kind of sparse and contradictory.

So my mates and me really enjoy Arkham Horror and Game of Thrones (2nd edition). What next game should I get on the table? I did a bit of research and those sound really interesting:

1. Dominant Species
2. Descent
3. Mage Knight

?

Wasn't DVG also going to publish/upgrade Phantom at one point? Whatever happened to that?

Pretty sure there was also going to be an Israeli one at some point.

I'm not entirely certain what is and isn't out and what is and isn't coming. The info is kind of sparse and contradictory.

Yea a new Deluxe Edition of Phantom Leader is supposed to be in the works, they showed off box art and talked of its contents a while back. When its coming out, I dont think anyone has a clue yet.

So my mates and me really enjoy Arkham Horror and Game of Thrones (2nd edition). What next game should I get on the table? I did a bit of research and those sound really interesting:

1. Dominant Species
2. Descent
3. Mage Knight

?

Mansions of Madness? It's on the same universe than AH.

Yea a new Deluxe Edition of Phantom Leader is supposed to be in the works, they showed off box art and talked of its contents a while back. When its coming out, I dont think anyone has a clue yet.

Yeah, figures. I'd like to know because I'd totally pick it up instead of the one with the lower production values. Oh well, I'm sure it'll drop eventually. Apache took a while too.

Keasar

1. Dominant Species
2. Descent
3. Mage Knight

?

Descent is a great pick. Mage Knight if you got the time and patience to learn it. Dominant Species I cant personally say but from what I hear it is also really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom