• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

I have a question as to LCG and how the expansion stuff works? So lets say I buy the Star Wars LCG core set, and then I buy expansions, what do the expansions add? I am not looking at tournament stuff but just for two people, it adds more scenarios and cards that go with them to add more deck combinations is that correct? Or am I missing something?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have a question as to LCG and how the expansion stuff works? So lets say I buy the Star Wars LCG core set, and then I buy expansions, what do the expansions add? I am not looking at tournament stuff but just for two people, it adds more scenarios and cards that go with them to add more deck combinations is that correct? Or am I missing something?

It's just for if you get into the deckbuilding aspect of the game (i.e., if you choose to customize it gives you more cards to choose from). For any LCG I would recommend playing the base game first and seeing how you like that. Within the core set you can do some customization (at least in Netrunner you can) and you can see if that floats your boat. If it does...then go for the expansions. :)

sneaky77

It's just for if you get into the deckbuilding aspect of the game (i.e., if you choose to customize it gives you more cards to choose from). For any LCG I would recommend playing the base game first and seeing how you like that. Within the core set you can do some customization (at least in Netrunner you can) and you can see if that floats your boat. If it does...then go for the expansions. :)

yeah I would do that, I was just trying to get an understanding on what the expansions add.

Expansions come with cards for both sides?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, they basically give you more deckbuilding options and flesh out the game strategically.

I'm speaking from a Netrunner perspective btw since that's my game. I think Star Wars is set up pretty much the same way though, at a high level.

sneaky77

Yeaaaaaa, since you mentioned the Star Wars LCG, I kinda want to play on Hoth too...

So the expansions come with more objectives and the respective cards to add to the deck, that's cool.

I should get the core set here tomorrow, hopefully won't take me too long to convince someone to play it lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just tonight put in a CSI order. Kind of a mix-n-match set of stuff for Game Night, Casuals, and expansions to three of my favorite games evar. :)

-Innovation: Figures in the Sand
-Android: Netrunner LCG Cyber Exodus Data Pack
-Space Cadets
-Blood Bowl: Team Manager - Sudden Death Expansion
-Castle Panic Board Game

Slacker

Kids' birthdays are coming up, so it's time for new GAMES. Will likely be getting one or more of the following:

- Tahiti
- River Dragons (video review)
- Forbidden Desert (official site

Has anyone played Tahiti? Know if it's good for kiddos (5-8 range)?

My roommate and I have played two games of Netrunner so far. It's super fun, but I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage as Corp. He (the runner) is always rolling in money, so it makes his runs ridiculous. He just asks me how much it will cost to get through, I tell him, then he's through. It's like he has an unlimited supply of money. I feel like I'm always scrounging for money and I can never find a good time to install an agenda because I feel I always need money or another card. Any tips or are we doing something wrong?

Once you rez a piece of ICE to confront the runner, does it stay rezzed for all the game? I would think so since the element of surprise is gone.

mercviper

My roommate and I have played two games of Netrunner so far. It's super fun, but I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage as Corp. He (the runner) is always rolling in money, so it makes his runs ridiculous. He just asks me how much it will cost to get through, I tell him, then he's through. It's like he has an unlimited supply of money. I feel like I'm always scrounging for money and I can never find a good time to install an agenda because I feel I always need money or another card. Any tips or are we doing something wrong?

Once you rez a piece of ICE to confront the runner, does it stay rezzed for all the game? I would think so since the element of surprise is gone.

ICE will stay rezzed unless otherwise noted.

As you've probably noticed, the game is really more about economy than scoring agendas. Focus on tuning your decks to make more money if you're feeling that's why you're losing. Melange Mining is probably one of the best cards for this reason. The best parts of the game for the Runner are the early game before you set up your ICE and the late game when he has his rig up and running to break through everything, so as corps you're restricted to winning in the midgame unless you have a lot of tricks up your sleeve.

For your early game, try to focus on bankrolling as much as you can and protecting your central servers. Notably HQ and R&D, or HQ & Archives if you're against a Criminal deck.

Try not to have more than 1 remote server if possible.

Mulligan if you draw 2+ agendas.

Neverfade

Which identity is he using? Criminal is the only runner faction I'd classify as rich. ICE does indeed stay rez'd. Are you using money making cards available to you? You're going to want, depending on your faction, a Adonis campaign ore Melange Mining, etc. The cards that give you 9 credits for 5 are also crucial.

Find out what icebreaker are in his deck. Use the type of Ice he's weak against. At this point almost every runner faction has one type of ICE that they're weak against (ala they only have one particular breaker of that type or its really expensive).

What faction are you using? Find out your strengths and play to those.

Try a HB Corp deck if all else fails. They're probably the richest and their wealth of 'Click to Break' ICEs will slow your buddy down for sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It depends on soooo much. Most notably what factions you are playing and whether you can deckbuild. Though the stats (thousands of games on OCTGN) show that the core factions are all extremely evenly balanced (almost absurdly so). As a general matter, Criminals get rich if you leave HQ exposed (and Archives if/when they get Sneakdoor). I leave R&D unprotected if needed early to avoid Crim getting easy money. (This is also why I run Maker's Eye in my crim deck but that's metagame stuff :p). If it's Shapers, Kate is slow as hell. Attack her early, especially when she's low on credits from putting out all her expensive bloatware. Anarchs really shouldn't be getting rich, that's not really their bag. :)

Get protected first, but then try to score a quick and cheap agenda (doing this with Accelerated Beta Test or Priority Req can give you a huge edge). I've actually been thinking a lot about this and yeah, stuff like Magnum Opus can be a giant pain if you just let it sit there. But if your opponent is trying to build an indestructible rig, that's really your time to sneak an agenda past him (hopefully your second one at this point). Finally once you are getting into the dregs, this is where traps can come in really handy. Again if you are running against a monster rig, stuff like Aggressive Secretary with two tokens on it can pretty much spell the end for the runner, no matter how rich. You can also go for a Scorched Earth deck, which can be unstoppable if you get the right cards.

Also again if the runner is just piling up money he's missing out somewhere else, probably in setting up his icebreakers. It's your job as the corp to spot that immediately and exploit it. Whenever I see people piling up money in a way I can't immediately stop, it really gives me a sense of urgency. Yesterday I was able to pop a guy's Magnum Opus and Gordian Blade with Aggressive Secretary because he was rich and reckless, for example.

mercviper

I, personally, think the exception to this is Jenteki. Load up on traps and confuse the shit out of him. The new data packs only make this easier.

That new Jenteki identity is pretty nice.

Yeah I didn't really want to go too in depth into exceptions etc. Just laying out tips in general for whatever faction since he didn't specify an identity he was trying to play. The playstyles of each one are pretty unique and change how you play the deck in a big way.

Icefire1424

So the expansions come with more objectives and the respective cards to add to the deck, that's cool.

I should get the core set here tomorrow, hopefully won't take me too long to convince someone to play it lol

Come back with some feedback after you've played a few games. I haven't picked this one up yet, but very, very tempted. Also prompted me try to track down my old Star Wars CCG set from years ago. No clue where that went, dammit.

Well I hope I like Mage Knight more than you guys, having just picked it up on the back of Rab Florence giving it game of the year 2011 and he and I having almost identical taste in games. I'm holding back on buying group games but the heavy and enjoyable solo aspect made me spend the last of my christmas money on this bad boy. Probably my last board game for a long while (at least 8 months I think) bar any LOTR cards I decide to pick up.

ICE will stay rezzed unless otherwise noted.

As you've probably noticed, the game is really more about economy than scoring agendas. Focus on tuning your decks to make more money if you're feeling that's why you're losing. Melange Mining is probably one of the best cards for this reason. The best parts of the game for the Runner are the early game before you set up your ICE and the late game when he has his rig up and running to break through everything, so as corps you're restricted to winning in the midgame unless you have a lot of tricks up your sleeve.

For your early game, try to focus on bankrolling as much as you can and protecting your central servers. Notably HQ and R&D, or HQ & Archives if you're against a Criminal deck.

Try not to have more than 1 remote server if possible.

Mulligan if you draw 2+ agendas.

Which identity is he using? Criminal is the only runner faction I'd classify as rich. ICE does indeed stay rez'd. Are you using money making cards available to you? You're going to want, depending on your faction, a Adonis campaign ore Melange Mining, etc. The cards that give you 9 credits for 5 are also crucial.

Find out what icebreaker are in his deck. Use the type of Ice he's weak against. At this point almost every runner faction has one type of ICE that they're weak against (ala they only have one particular breaker of that type or its really expensive).

What faction are you using? Find out your strengths and play to those.

Try a HB Corp deck if all else fails. They're probably the richest and their wealth of 'Click to Break' ICEs will slow your buddy down for sure.

It depends on soooo much. Most notably what factions you are playing and whether you can deckbuild. Though the stats (thousands of games on OCTGN) show that the core factions are all extremely evenly balanced (almost absurdly so). As a general matter, Criminals get rich if you leave HQ exposed (and Archives if/when they get Sneakdoor). I leave R&D unprotected if needed early to avoid Crim getting easy money. (This is also why I run Maker's Eye in my crim deck but that's metagame stuff :p). If it's Shapers, Kate is slow as hell. Attack her early, especially when she's low on credits from putting out all her expensive bloatware. Anarchs really shouldn't be getting rich, that's not really their bag. :)

Get protected first, but then try to score a quick and cheap agenda (doing this with Accelerated Beta Test or Priority Req can give you a huge edge). I've actually been thinking a lot about this and yeah, stuff like Magnum Opus can be a giant pain if you just let it sit there. But if your opponent is trying to build an indestructible rig, that's really your time to sneak an agenda past him (hopefully your second one at this point). Finally once you are getting into the dregs, this is where traps can come in really handy. Again if you are running against a monster rig, stuff like Aggressive Secretary with two tokens on it can pretty much spell the end for the runner, no matter how rich. You can also go for a Scorched Earth deck, which can be unstoppable if you get the right cards.

Also again if the runner is just piling up money he's missing out somewhere else, probably in setting up his icebreakers. It's your job as the corp to spot that immediately and exploit it. Whenever I see people piling up money in a way I can't immediately stop, it really gives me a sense of urgency. Yesterday I was able to pop a guy's Magnum Opus and Gordian Blade with Aggressive Secretary because he was rich and reckless, for example.
We are playing with the recommended starter decks (Jinteki & Shapers). I mostly pull agendas and ICE from R&D. Out of the two games I pulled only one upgrade. I was never really able to pull anything that enhanced anything. A few assets here in there, of course (The one that allows you to get 1 credit on your turn). I pulled Melange Mining once and was able to use it. I loved it, but it never felt like it was enough or that it mattered that I had money. He had a stockpile of credits and it felt like his runs were no burden on his money. I'm about to play another game and I'm going to use the things ya'll suggested.

BTW, if a runner pulls Snare! out of a remote server or out of my hand, can I still pay the credits to tag/damage him or is the card only effective in R&D?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Snare! is effective everywhere except Archives, as indicated on the card. Base Kate has a pretty decent money engine yeah. If you're going for agenda wins, you're going to want to score quick if you can before it all gets up and running. But late game even in base Jinteki you probably won't win on generic agenda advancement though you still have a great chance to flatline, especially against an inexperienced runner. Project Junebug and Snare are both your good friends, as is your nasty ice. The way I tried to make Jinteki a real killer was to slip Scorched Earth in there. Lets you actually use your tags. If you can do even minor deck tweaking I'd say get rid of your Neural EMPs and replace them with Scorched Earth. Jinteki is the toughest corp to win as but also the most satisfying (imo, though NB that I'm a Haas-Bioroid player).

Neverfade

Jinteki is probably the weakest corp right out of the box. The packs might change that, but try with another faction and see if anything changes. They all have different play styles and maybe Jinteki isn't your thing.

And if I recall correctly a snare activates anywhere but archives I think. No one I play with runs Jinteki so I might be off there.

played fluxx for the first time yesterday. my ocd skills was correcting the veterans, I guess.

so here's something they stuck with, though. starting rules: draw 1, play 1. later in game, added rules: draw 2 "Ok we all have to draw 3 from now on"

me "Wouldn't the draw 2 replace the draw 1 rule, like everything else in th is game?"

them "No those starter rules stay forever and stack on to anything else"

sneaky77

played fluxx for the first time yesterday. my ocd skills was correcting the veterans, I guess.

so here's something they stuck with, though. starting rules: draw 1, play 1. later in game, added rules: draw 2 "Ok we all have to draw 3 from now on"

me "Wouldn't the draw 2 replace the draw 1 rule, like everything else in th is game?"

That makes no sense.. lol

lol. I believe the rules get replaced as per your thoughts.

Well, that was a short game. I switched to Haas-Bioroid and got my butt kicked. I was able to score one Agenda very quickly and I used an ambush card on him to trash two of his programs, but it wasn't enough. He had 30 credits in just fifteen minutes or so. Armitage Codebusting is so good. I don't know how to compete. I just really suck at this game, but I'm going to keep at it.

Neverfade

Well, that was a short game. I switched to Haas-Bioroid and got my butt kicked. I was able to score one Agenda very quickly and I used an ambush card on him to trash two of his programs, but it wasn't enough. He had 30 credits in just fifteen minutes or so. Armitage Codebusting is so good. I don't know how to compete. I just really suck at this game, but I'm going to keep at it.

How did he get 30 credits? Maybe finding out how he's getting rich will help us help you with strategy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You shouldn't be getting outgunned early on credits, especially with Haas-Bioroid. Melange, Adonis, Hedge Fund, Easy Mark, all your friends. Try not to waste clicks drawing single credits (or at a minimum install at least one card on a turn to throw off the runner and get your free credit). Haas is big ice. Make one server -- two at most, and Ice the hell out of it. Try to get him to walk into your Ichis, Rototurrets, or Agg Secs. If he's not fully rigged up, score an ABT on him and maybe try your luck. Or better yet Priority Req. If I can recommend some very basic deckbuilding again swap in some Tollbooths and take out Experiential Data.

You kind of make it seem like Kate is just casually piling up 30 credits on you, but the game is seriously not a race to X credits in the slightest and it seems like one or both of you are being way too gunshy if it's become that. One player amassing that much money anywhere outside of deep late game is a giant opportunity for the other side to actually be playing the game and winning.

How did he get 30 credits? Maybe finding out how he's getting rich will help us help you with strategy.
He uses Armitage Codebusting most of the time. He takes 4-6 credits from this every turn. Magnum Opus is also another card he uses frequently to gain credits. He'll get 6-8 credits from that every turn if he doesn't have Armitage Codebusting. He usually ends up with 1 click left which he uses to make a run on a server and it's a cakewalk because he has enough money to meet my strength and bypass all subroutines.

You shouldn't be getting outgunned early on credits, especially with Haas-Bioroid. Melange, Adonis, Hedge Fund, Easy Mark, all your friends. Try not to waste clicks drawing single credits (or at a minimum install at least one card on a turn to throw off the runner and get your free credit). Haas is big ice. Make one server -- two at most, and Ice the hell out of it. Try to get him to walk into your Ichis, Rototurrets, or Agg Secs. If he's not fully rigged up, score an ABT on him and maybe try your luck. Or better yet Priority Req. If I can recommend some very basic deckbuilding again swap in some Tollbooths and take out Experiential Data.

You kind of make it seem like Kate is just casually piling up 30 credits on you, but the game is seriously not a race to X credits in the slightest and it seems like one or both of you are being way too gunshy if it's become that. One player amassing that much money anywhere outside of deep late game is a giant opportunity for the other side to actually be playing the game and winning.
I know it's not a race to see who can get the most credits, but everything revolves around credits. I get the "Ice the hell out of it" strategy, but that does me no good if I don't have the credits to rez the ICE when I need it. I rarely pull any cards that help with gaining credits or put me on the offense. He's defintely not too gunshy because he usually uses his last click to make a run. Maybe someone can play a game with me over OCTGN to help me out. Did I build the deck right? I took all the Haas-Bioroid cards and all 22 neutral cards and shuffled them together. I just feel like I'm doing something seriously wrong.

LProtag

I just made the switch from Shaper to Criminal. I like having credits. It's a pretty standard deck, with most of my influence going for the most efficient icebreakers. I'm thinking about throwing in Data Sucker and Parasite to kill off some of the more nasty ICE I encounter.

My corp deck is HB. Pretty standard strong ICE deck, with a bit of an emphasis on gaining extra clicks.

Well I hope I like Mage Knight more than you guys, having just picked it up on the back of Rab Florence giving it game of the year 2011 and he and I having almost identical taste in games. I'm holding back on buying group games but the heavy and enjoyable solo aspect made me spend the last of my christmas money on this bad boy. Probably my last board game for a long while (at least 8 months I think) bar any LOTR cards I decide to pick up.

Who doesn't like Mage Knight? It's fantastic!

Just placed an order for Dixit and Netrunner while my girlfriend placed an order for Settlers of Catan. Really looking forward to trying all these out.

And this past weekend our small gaming group tried out Star Fluxx and promptly played the heck out of it. It's such a fun game with all the rule and action cards. My favorite moment of one game was when I had about 6 keepers in front of me with about half letting me either steal cards or play extra cards during my turn. In my hand I had the Brain Transference card which was soon stolen from me by my sis-in-law. Fortunately someone played a Keeper Limit 3 card and I immediately discarded the 3 keepers that were most wanted by the sis-in-law (Unseen Force, Computer, and The Captain).

Good times

Xater

The sickness struck again!

Thunderstone Advance was 30% off Amazon and of course I bought it. Now I see that the first expansion is 50% off. Should I get it? I haven't even played the game. lol

Krelian

The sickness struck again!

Thunderstone Advance was 30% off Amazon and of course I bought it. Now I see that the first expansion is 50% off. Should I get it? I haven't even played the game. lol
Me and one of my groups love the game. It's like a fantasy themed Dominion, if it's any help. I'd get it if you're into that sort of game. Although you should try to find new strategies to play it if you're used to certain ways in Dominion.

I got to play a game of Zombicide with a couple buddies yesterday, and man is that game awesome. We messed up a whole bunch of the rules though, some that im sure made it easier, and some that made it harder, haha. We each played as 2 guys, and 1 of our 2 got out alive. it was massive fun. Im looking forward to playing it again soon.

Xater

Me and one of my groups love the game. It's like a fantasy themed Dominion, if it's any help. I'd get it if you're into that sort of game. Although you should try to find new strategies to play it if you're used to certain ways in Dominion.

So yeah I got a game in today and enjoyed it. Ordered the first expansion. 50% off is just too good of a deal.

Angst

Just had my first 4 player game of Airlines Europe with three rookies. After a pretty brief rules explanation people were initially a bit unsure of the best strategy, but after the first scoring everyone understood or at least had a good idea of the best strategy.

Everyone had a really good time and agreed that it was a really good game.

Best thing of the evening:

They caught sight of my Game of Thrones game and wanted to look at it. After a very short sell they signed up as player 5 and 6 for our first play. Now I just need to find a Sunday were everybody is free...

In short, a very good evening :)

Again, thanks for recommending AE and GoT!

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Even though I have owned it for a few months, I am just finally getting a chance to play Netrunner tomorrow. Really excited after seeing how much everyone seems to love the game. I am also hoping to get my friends into it so they will get their own sets. I unfortunately haven't been able to get them into card games in the past (outside of contained games like Dominion) due to bad experiences with Magic, thanks to a few members of my group going overboard with buying cards and ruining any sense of balance. I imagine this being an LCG should help minimize that from happening.

Xater

Kids' birthdays are coming up, so it's time for new GAMES. Will likely be getting one or more of the following:

- Tahiti
- River Dragons (video review)
- Forbidden Desert (official site

Has anyone played Tahiti? Know if it's good for kiddos (5-8 range)?

Doesn't look like you got a response, so here is mine. I have played River Dragons in Essen. It was a really enjoyable game that is also very easy to learn. I think it's one of those titles you can have fun with no matter the age.

I don't want to jinx it, but I have never seen Dixit go poorly, and I've introduced it to maybe 4 separate groups now.

haha, I don't think you'll jinx it. My girlfriend was excited to try it out after watching it on TableTop. And the rest of the gaming group enjoys Apples to Apples on occasion so Dixit will fit right in.

Xater

haha, I don't think you'll jinx it. My girlfriend was excited to try it out after watching it on TableTop. And the rest of the gaming group enjoys Apples to Apples on occasion so Dixit will fit right in.

Get Cards Against Humanity. It will kill!

Man I think on New Year's Eve we play it for 2 hours straight. Drinking probably also helped, but man it was a fantastic experience.

Slacker

Doesn't look like you got a response, so here is mine. I have played River Dragons in Essen. It was a really enjoyable game that is also very easy to learn. I think it's one of those titles you can have fun with no matter the age.

Yeah I think that's the one I'm going with. Looks excellent and my kids will like the theme better than the other two I mentioned.

I have an order of:

Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion
Android: Netrunner - What Lies Ahead
Android: Netrunner - Trace Amount
Saboteur
Saboteur 2

packed in a box laying on the post office, waiting for someone to pay it some attention so it would get some traction on my direction. The wait is... stressful... checking the tracking page and seeing that they didn't even bother posting an update about it in the last day is... annoying...

Guess this weekend we are playing the old games again... sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom