• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not a huge fan of CaH myself but definitely great for a certain group (into Family Guy/Hangover-type humor).

the problem is there's always that one person that wants to play it and really, REALLY wants to play it, eventually buying their own set and carrying it to any event and demanding that it gets played.

it's fun, but you get sort of numb to it quickly and then it's just LOOOOONG with little strategy

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the problem is there's always that one person that wants to play it and really, REALLY wants to play it, eventually buying their own set and carrying it to any event and demanding that it gets played.

it's fun, but you get sort of numb to it quickly and then it's just LOOOOONG with little strategy

hahah ok that sounds horrible. i think i would just make a breakout 7-wonders group or something :D

Neverfade

Just played Ginkgopolis. Another solid Xavier George game.

Not as good as Troyes, though.

Edit: I'm enjoying this game the more I think of it. I believe fans of 7 Wonders might want to check it out. The drafting here is really tight, especially in a 2 player game. Card denial seemed pretty crucial and something my opponent didn't grasp until about halfway through. He allowed me to get two improvements that ended up giving me 3 points every time I built upwards.

In addition, I find the natural ebb and flow of the mechanics work really well. I blasted out of the gate with a ton of builds only to slow down at the end because I had chewed through my resources. I was forced to slow down and build back up my goodies to continue. This gave him an opportunity to come in and take over some of my buildings giving him a strong end game majority for the area control portion of the scoring (although it still wasn't enough to overcome that point-churning combo). Of course, the speedbump I hit probably be negated through clever building play. How they all work spatially is really great.

Need more plays for more analysis!

So Netrunner looks interesting as hell. I'm a MTG fan so this should float my boat. The bluffing aspects look like a ton of fun, I kinda wish Magic had more of it. The expansions aren't that expensive, so I think I might just grab those alongside the core game. Damn do I gotta buy some sleeves.

Just played Ginkgopolis. Another solid Xavier George game.

Not as good as Troyes, though.

Edit: I'm enjoying this game the more I think of it. I believe fans of 7 Wonders might want to check it out. The drafting here is really tight, especially in a 2 player game. Card denial seemed pretty crucial and something my opponent didn't grasp until about halfway through. He allowed me to get two improvements that ended up giving me 3 points every time I built upwards.

In addition, I find the natural ebb and flow of the mechanics work really well. I blasted out of the gate with a ton of builds only to slow down at the end because I had chewed through my resources. I was forced to slow down and build back up my goodies to continue. This gave him an opportunity to come in and take over some of my buildings giving him a strong end game majority for the area control portion of the scoring (although it still wasn't enough to overcome that point-churning combo). Of course, the speedbump I hit probably be negated through clever building play. How they all work spatially is really great.

Need more plays for more analysis!
I played it tonight as well. I liked it but I can see it getting stale after awhile. The problem is there is literaly no competition to build. The competition comes in owning districts, which is fine, but even that aspect didnt feel all that exciting. I'll need to play it some more but after my first impression, I think it's good but flawed and I'm not sure it will hold up to repeated plays.

blurrygil

I have an order of:

Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion
Android: Netrunner - What Lies Ahead
Android: Netrunner - Trace Amount
Saboteur
Saboteur 2

ZOMFG...nice order.

Need to get some impressions of Mage Knight from people. I'm already rolled up into Descent 2nd Ed. Should I even bother?

Bah, it's not so bad. I wouldn't put myself above it. It's a blast. Indeed, seeing the cards get a bit old. But I have a large circle of friends to which we've created TONS of our own cards for and it keeps things funny and fresh amongst each other. I've got 3 small boxes full of cards now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bah, it's not so bad. I wouldn't put myself above it. It's a blast. Indeed, seeing the cards get a bit old. But I have a large circle of friends to which we've created TONS of our own cards for and it keeps things funny and fresh amongst each other. I've got 3 small boxes full of cards now.

I think I'm just stuck between multiple friend groupings that want to play it a lot. It needs time to rest.

blurrygil

I think I'm just stuck between multiple friend groupings that want to play it a lot. It needs time to rest.

Indeed, mate. Play it frequently (like during the holidays) and it does get old.

Definitely work on downloading, making and printing new cards. Have a brainstorming session. It works brilliantly with people!

Phthisis

Need to get some impressions of Mage Knight from people. I'm already rolled up into Descent 2nd Ed. Should I even bother?

Descent is a dungeon crawl. Mage Knight is a puzzle. They're totally different games. I really enjoy both, but they satisfy different needs.

Mage Knight is basically a deck-building game (albeit a complicated one) with a geographic element for moving, fighting, etc. Lot of replayability given the way cards come up, enemies come out, and the different scenarios. It is one of my two desert island games, the other being Twilight Imperium.

Gala

I'm considering to get Super Dungeon Explore, but I'm not sure how good the replayability is. How much board game tiles / scenarios does the game include? Or does it really only comes done to the dungeon crawling on random "maps"?

Also which of the expansion is worth getting?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to play Eclipse last night and I love it (even though we ran out of time to finish it). I was looking online and found a laser cut tray for the population cubes so they don't get messed up if bumped. Totally buying some.

Keasar

Finally got a chance to play Eclipse last night and I love it (even though we ran out of time to finish it). I was looking online and found a laser cut tray for the population cubes so they don't get messed up if bumped. Totally buying some.

I think I saw some site selling plastic trays just for the purpose of the population cubes, cant remember where I saw it though :(

Neverfade

What do you dislike about it?

I wrote a short blurb about it a page or so ago.

1) It plays at a plodding pace. Almost all of my favorite games are super long, so length isn't an issue. Turns are just slow, long, and incredibly boring. I'd never ever play this with anyone whose ever shown signs of AP. I'm an incredibly quick player and I was sitting there thinking about what the fuck I should do, or how I was going to play a turn. I enjoy analysis like this to a degree but you really have to min/max this game and that shit is an instant boner killer to me.

2) You can see most enemies before you engage them. You know before you even engage them (with perhaps 1 exception) if you're going to win or not. Incredibly boring.

3) I find all the different enemy token types to be too much. It's bloated and overcomplicated.

4) As a personal preference, I don't really like scenario-driven games. I find more often than not they're unbalanced in someway and would rather play a game where a single rich experience can provide all the variety I need through other methods.

Someone also called it a deck builder. There's an element of deck building here, sure. But no way in hell would I describe this as a deck builder nor recommend it to people who like deck building games ala Dominion or Thunderstone, etc. It's a different beast.

1) It plays at a plodding pace. Almost all of my favorite games are super long, so length isn't an issue. Turns are just slow, long, and incredibly boring. I'd never ever play this with anyone whose ever shown signs of AP. I'm an incredibly quick player and I was sitting there thinking about what the fuck I should do, or how I was going to play a turn. I enjoy analysis like this to a degree but you really have to min/max this game and that shit is an instant boner killer to me.

2) You can see most enemies before you engage them. You know before you even engage them (with perhaps 1 exception) if you're going to win or not. Incredibly boring.

3) I find all the different enemy token types to be too much. It's bloated and overcomplicated.

4) As a personal preference, I don't really like scenario-driven games. I find more often than not they're unbalanced in someway and would rather play a game where a single rich experience can provide all the variety I need through other methods.

Someone also called it a deck builder. There's an element of deck building here, sure. But no way in hell would I describe this as a deck builder nor recommend it to people who like deck building games ala Dominion or Thunderstone, etc. It's a different beast.

Hmm. I haven't seen much on the game other than the dice tower video, and I can see how all of the stuff you said could be really annoying. Haha.

I guess I will pass on picking it up. Besides I need all the time available to play mother fucking Eclipse at all times! Best game ever.

Thanks for he input!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My coworkers just told me they love nerdy boardgames and if I have games I should bring them in during lunch and we'll play. Ohgod. My dreams have come true.

I'll start off with 7 Wonders, I think. It's short, simple, tons of fun and supports up to 7.

Omikron

My coworkers just told me they love nerdy boardgames and if I have games I should bring them in during lunch and we'll play. Ohgod. My dreams have come true.

I'll start off with 7 Wonders, I think. It's short, simple, tons of fun and supports up to 7.
Played a ton of 7 Wonders at work, we got efficient enough to get 3 games in an hour at one point...

blurrygil

Cheers for a impressions. Looks like I'll avoid for now.

Neverfade

I don't mean to be overly down on MK. There are certainly people, within this own thread even, that like it. I just wanted to stress it's not something to be taken lightly. I thought I was going to enjoy it based on reviews as well, despite Bonethug telling me otherwise. He was right.

NeoZylom

So what do you guys think of the Pandemic redesign? It looks quite good to me :) but people on BGG seems to dislike it.

Also, do you guys think 7 wonders expansion are worth it? I!m getting a bit fed up with the original, there seems to be only 2 ways to win, go for the blue or go for the green...

Neverfade

By and large, BGG has fucking horrid art taste. So if they hate it, it's probably good.

And yes, the expansions are definitely worth it, especially Leaders. Gives you a strategy right out of the gate.

I still haven't gotten to put MK onto the friggin table. Always have one too many or not the right group for it. Read through the rules twice and each time I get close to taking it out... I forgot much of it since there is so much to it and too much time since I last read the rules.

By and large, BGG has fucking horrid art taste. So if they hate it, it's probably good.
The amount of splooging over this cover on BGG backs up this statement.
WJlGn9h.jpg

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/826302/labyrinth-the-war-on-terror-2001?size=medium

That being said, the new cover art for Pandemic is so-so. It'll be an eye catcher on big box shelves. I'm more annoyed that the new expansion will not be compatible with the original game. You have to buy new compatibility packs in order for it to work with the old set.

Slacker

Agree with all these. I like Mage Knight OK, but if I don't see it for a while I don't really miss it. Regarding number (2) above, someone on Reddit described his problems with the game perfectly:

reddit guy said:
[Mage Knight] is overly reliant on chance. Furthermore, that chance seems to be in all the wrong places. You can answer the question "what will the outcome of my hero's battle with these orcs be?" with absolute certainty, but the question "will my hero be able to pick up his lazy feet and walk to the nearest village next turn?" is anyone's guess. Combat is sucked free of drama, while merely moving around is a frustrating endeavor. It is extremely easy to get screwed by poor draws, and there is no way to mitigate this possibility.

He also mentions my biggest complaint, which is that the deck building aspect is way too slow. One card every other time your character levels up. Otherwise you have to move to a building (the problem there being the difficult movement) to pick one up.

Neverfade

Agree with all these. I like Mage Knight OK, but if I don't see it for a while I don't really miss it. Regarding number (2) above, someone on Reddit described his problems with the game perfectly:

He also mentions my biggest complaint, which is that the deck building aspect is way too slow. One card every other time your character levels up. Otherwise you have to move to a building (the problem there being the difficult movement) to pick one up.

Fuck yes to all this.

daw840

So I'm definitely a newcomer. My friends and I like to play risk quite a bit but is really like to find a new board game to try out with 4-6 people. Doesn't necessarily have to be like risk but that's kind of the style I like. Any suggestions?

Angst

So I'm definitely a newcomer. My friends and I like to play risk quite a bit but is really like to find a new board game to try out with 4-6 people. Doesn't necessarily have to be like risk but that's kind of the style I like. Any suggestions?
Have you looked at Axis & Allies? Should fit the bill pretty good, I haven't played it yet, but it seems like a logical progression from Risk.

Blizzard

Banned
Last night I played Belfort with a group, using all 5 players (one was a team of two). It took FOREVER, maybe 3 hours, and felt even more draining than normal semi-complicated stuff like 7 Wonders or Agricola. I wasn't a huge fan.

We also played a poo-flinging card game called Poo. It was mildly amusing but got old after a few people got knocked out. Apparently the first two players to get knocked out come back to life, which I didn't hear mentioned, so one player used BOTH of those before we all knew what was going on.

daw840

Have you looked at Axis & Allies? Should fit the bill pretty good, I haven't played it yet, but it seems like a logical progression from Risk.
Yeah. That game is long as shit. We played it a couple times a long time ago and the game literally took days.

daevv

After coming across a thread on redflagdeals I just blind bought Lords of Waterdeep off the Canadian indigo site. Has anyone here played it? It has pretty good reviews and was only $30 after discounts. LINK

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

A few suggestions focusing more on the direct-conflict mechanics of Risk than necessarily the theme:

Small World
Nexus Ops
Shogun
Cyclades

Nice thing is BGG has very detailed reviews for all of these (just go to the review forum for each game) so you can see if a game is your bag.

If you are looking to branch out from the sort of medium-long direct-conflict games, I'll just throw out that some of my current favorite all-purpose chaotic games with lots of conflict are: King of Tokyo, RoboRally, and Survive!.

Neverfade

Game of Thrones, easy.

Heads up, the Eclipse Pulsar promo is now in the BGG store. It's $8.50 shipped and if Supernova was any indication it'll go fast.

Thanks for the heads up! I was just going to wait till the Eclipse Fan Pack came out to get pulsar, but ive never bought anything from the BGG store, so a cheap way to test how long shipping takes is worth 8 bucks! Plus, the Eclipse Fan pack is probably a quite a few months out anyway.

Xater

4Players.de One of the German video game websites now also writes some stuff about board games. Even they say the Eclipse expansion is kind of weak for the asking price. So I am not alone with that opinion. ;)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
4Players.de One of the German video game websites now also writes some stuff about board games. Even they say the Eclipse expansion is kind of weak for the asking price. So I am not alone with that opinion. ;)

To be fair, 4players isn't a very good video game review site either. (I used to read it when I was living back home)

Xater

To be fair, 4players isn't a very good video game review site either. (I used to read it when I was living back home)

I would disagree. Lately they have been pretty good, with no fear to give big budget games the low score they deserve. But this thread is probably not the place to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom