• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

StoOgE said:
3) Too luck heavy, card draws make the zombies super powerful.. in one of the scenarios we played card draws for humans were next to impossible just because we had to defend the house in the middle of the board.

Protip - you don't have to be in the house to defend it. Last time I played this scenario, I had Jake and one of the kids (The one with +1 move) hang out in one of the outer buildings for like 75% of the game. Jake foraged up a lighter and 2 sticks of dynamite, and the kid ran out to the hordes and blew up huge chunks of them right before they got to the scenario limit.

I don't think any player spent more than 2 turns inside the manor house the entire game, and we won.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Brashnir said:
Protip - you don't have to be in the house to defend it. Last time I played this scenario, I had Jake and one of the kids (The one with +1 move) hang out in one of the outer buildings for like 75% of the game. Jake foraged up a lighter and 2 sticks of dynamite, and the kid ran out to the hordes and blew up huge chunks of them right before they got to the scenario limit.

I don't think any player spent more than 2 turns inside the manor house the entire game, and we won.

the problem we had is the zombies got to throw a spawn point 2 spaces from the front of the house on the first turn of the game. Then they got a lights out 3 spaces from the front of the house. We were basically F'ed from the first turn.

It's a fun game for what it is. i.e. a good game to drink beer with your friends and do some light horror role playing.

For instance at one point the nurse and sheriff had a card played that we were in a romantic entanglement instead of getting their turn, and on the very next turn had a card play that they were quarreling instead of getting their turn.

Hilarious situation, terrible gameplay :lol

The expansions I think greatly helped the human players more than the zombie ones as well. The whole zombie deadly weapons stuff is pretty crappy in my opinion and rarely has done any good. Humans got lot of new powerful cards, ammo, armor, and barricades.

StoOgE said:
the problem we had is the zombies got to throw a spawn point 2 spaces from the front of the house and one of the players decided it would be fun to hang out clear on the other side of the board collecting cards and not sharing them with teammates.

Seeing it's a coop affair, that's pretty stupid :lol

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:
Seeing it's a coop affair, that's pretty stupid :lol

yeah, that was our dumb player. He decided to charge into battle for glory right at the end, forgot to play all of his awesome cards and died straight away. Pretty amazing performance.

Though you are right, it fits the theme of a zombie movie perfectly :lol

Flynn

I would love to see a Euro improvement on the Last Night on Earth / Arkham formula in the same way that Prophesy fixed all the problems with Talisman.

Flynn

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Zombie worker placement, mayhap?

Something close to Dungeon Lords might work. With you boarding up your fortress ala Survival/Horde mode and robot zombies tearing apart what you built across three rounds.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Zombie worker placement, mayhap?

I'm thinking Zombie roll selection with an economic engine to produce zombie goods and then sell for Zombie VP points.

The new monsterpocalypse starter sets are out. These are a great way to get into the game and not need to be buying booster packs. These new starters include two complete sets of forces (you get two random army sets) unlike the old starters that gave you a couple random figures. It's meant to be playable for two players right out the box.

Good game that has lot of board game similarities, and now you can get in cheap. Also note the Voltron 2 player boxed game of monsterpocalypse is also available for clearance of $25 on http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/919453 . Works as stand alone or a person can mix with regular Monsterpoc.

StoOgE

So, I've decided I have to own Last Night on Earth now.

It's funny.. as a game I am still extremely frustrated with it. As a light roleplaying experience, it was pretty damned fun.

I also have to give MAD props to FFG. I emailed them last week and told them I bought Micromutants 2nd hand and wanted to know if I could buy the missing chits off of them, and they are mailing me the chits for free + backups. Fucking awesome.

Flynn

StoOgE said:
So, I've decided I have to own Last Night on Earth now.

It's funny.. as a game I am still extremely frustrated with it. As a light roleplaying experience, it was pretty damned fun.

I also have to give MAD props to FFG. I emailed them last week and told them I bought Micromutants 2nd hand and wanted to know if I could buy the missing chits off of them, and they are mailing me the chits for free + backups. Fucking awesome.

I've seen their warehouse. You're doing them a favor. There's probably an intern buried beneath the pile of chits they're sending you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
The new monsterpocalypse starter sets are out. These are a great way to get into the game and not need to be buying booster packs. These new starters include two complete sets of forces (you get two random army sets) unlike the old starters that gave you a couple random figures. It's meant to be playable for two players right out the box.

Good game that has lot of board game similarities, and now you can get in cheap. Also note the Voltron 2 player boxed game of monsterpocalypse is also available for clearance of $25 on http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/919453 . Works as stand alone or a person can mix with regular Monsterpoc.
Sounds cool; I'll probably pick that up one of these days.

Xater

So thi is my Essen haul. I basically just went in and got the stuff I was interested in. There way so many people. Way more than when I was there 5 years ago.

Most of the stuff should be pretty clear. The thing on the top is Shogi and the 51st State is for Neverfade.

@Neverfade: The designer of 51st State told me that you can just mail them after Essen and you can get the 3 missing tokens that way.

Yay Memoir! Played some last night with the Pacific Expansion. Playing those mountain cave battles against entrenched Japanese forces is pretty fun.

Xater

Ok I played 2 games of 7 Wonders with my parents. The first game was a bit slow because we learned the rules together. BTW this game can be perfectly teached while playing. The second game was very fast. The 30 minures on the box is absolutely true.

It's a very fun fast civ game that is card based. There is some strategizing when to use cards so that the next player doesn't get it, but not much else interaction except for the buying and the battle phase. Recommended.

@Neverfade: do you have Ghost Stories? I got a promo card for that (Jean-claude Van Rice). I could put that in the package for you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Yay Memoir! Played some last night with the Pacific Expansion. Playing those mountain cave battles against entrenched Japanese forces is pretty fun.
Yeah we're going to break out the Eastern Front expansion for the first time this weekend. I like the rules for the Russkies, kind of cool.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Missed my chance with Xater on 51st State. So, would anybody be willing to pick me up a copy of 51st State at BGG con? I'll pay for shipping, obviously.

I don't have any issue picking it up for you.

Where are you located? Might make sense to get someone closer to you geographically who is willing to grab it to cut down on shipping costs.

fenners

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Missed my chance with Xater on 51st State. So, would anybody be willing to pick me up a copy of 51st State at BGG con? I'll pay for shipping, obviously.

If you're relying on someone to buy it at BGG.Con, they're preordering it from Funagain... Why not just order it yourself from Funagain?

BGG's got a good demo video of the game too from Essen...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10329944

StoOgE said:
I don't have any issue picking it up for you.

Where are you located? Might make sense to get someone closer to you geographically who is willing to grab it to cut down on shipping costs.
I'm in California and if I'm not mistaken you may be the closest one to me unless Flynn is going. How much
fenners said:
If you're relying on someone to buy it at BGG.Con, they're preordering it from Funagain... Why not just order it yourself from Funagain?

BGG's got a good demo video of the game too from Essen...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10329944
Is Funagain shipping the games or are they just available for preorder for pick up at BGG.con?

fenners

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I'm in California and if I'm not mistaken you may be the closest one to me unless Flynn is going. How much

Is Funagain shipping the games or are they just available for preorder for pick up at BGG.con?

They're bringing the games over to the US & then shipping them out; the whole BGG.Con deal is they're offering 'free shipping' to the con itself & will be selling games at the Con... But they'll happily take orders online & ship them to you for Essen games. No need to get it picked up at the Con.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fenners said:
They're bringing the games over to the US & then shipping them out; the whole BGG.Con deal is they're offering 'free shipping' to the con itself & will be selling games at the Con... But they'll happily take orders online & ship them to you for Essen games. No need to get it picked up at the Con.
Question (if you have any idea): Will we get them before BGG.con if we order them to be shipped elsewhere in the US?

StoOgE

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekbuzz/overview/essen2010

Looks like we are starting to get some early winners from Essen.

The UEFA leauge game is a bit of a shocker, but good for me because a similar system is being used by the new F1 game that is coming out.

I also hadn't heard much about Key Market before now.

Great Fire of London, 7 wonders and the Small World expansions are all getting good reviews as well. Nothing surprising there, but I've heard the great fire of London has some issues with one of the players chits looking like the fire chits.

Xater

Anyone else here has Ghost Stories and wants this promo card? Otherwise it' going into the trash. ;)

And yeha like I sai 7 Wonders is really fun and quick. So you can easily get a couple of round in on one evening.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xater said:
Anyone else here has Ghost Stories and wants this promo card? Otherwise it' going into the trash. ;)
Yep!

UEFA leauge game is a bit of a shocker, but good for me because a similar system is being used by the new F1 game that is coming out.
Wtf I hope it's not just eurohype because I've been dying for a good sports board-game for a while.

I preordered 51st State with Funagain, here's hoping it gets here early.

I also placed an order with Days of Wonder for the new Small World expansion. It came with the Necromancer Island expansion as well as a sheet of catapult and leader chits for free. I also threw in the Grand Dames and Cursed expansions just because.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Wtf I hope it's not just eurohype because I've been dying for a good sports board-game for a while.

Same here, it could very well be that this is a "just after world cup, middle of the UEFA season" hype thing.

Hopefully it is legit.

Great fire of London looks like a winner for me too just because the theme is so original. Of course, the great fire of New York and Great Fire of Chicago expansions practically wirte themselves :lol

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I also placed an order with Days of Wonder for the new Small World expansion. It came with the Necromancer Island expansion as well as a sheet of catapult and leader chits for free. I also threw in the Grand Dames and Cursed expansions just because.

They are both fun expansions and I love to play with them. More variety in that game is better. If you don't have Leaders of Small World you should order it as well, it's what the leadership chits you picked up are for. It's an ok-ish expansion. I don't play with it most of the time though.

Tales and Legends (the card deck) is a bit different, I like it because it adds to the chaos of the thing and forces you to make some different decisions, but it adds some randomness to the game.

Necromancer looks like it could be fun. It adds a 6th player who controls ghosts that grow in power as the other players kill each other off, and he wins if he gets all of his pieces on the board at once.. so it could create a really interesting co-op-ish mechanic between the other 5 players where they have to turn their focus to the necromancer at times instead of fighting each other.

StoOgE said:
They are both fun expansions and I love to play with them. More variety in that game is better. If you don't have Leaders of Small World you should order it as well, it's what the leadership chits you picked up are for. It's an ok-ish expansion. I don't play with it most of the time though.

Tales and Legends (the card deck) is a bit different, I like it because it adds to the chaos of the thing and forces you to make some different decisions, but it adds some randomness to the game.

Necromancer looks like it could be fun. It adds a 6th player who controls ghosts that grow in power as the other players kill each other off, and he wins if he gets all of his pieces on the board at once.. so it could create a really interesting co-op-ish mechanic between the other 5 players where they have to turn their focus to the necromancer at times instead of fighting each other.
I came really close to picking up the Tales and Legends set but decided against it because it seems like it would make an easy game needlessly complicated. I like the simplified rules and quick gameplay adding anything other than new characters would muddy up that experience.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I came really close to picking up the Tales and Legends set but decided against it because it seems like it would make an easy game needlessly complicated. I like the simplified rules and quick gameplay adding anything other than new characters would muddy up that experience.

I'm not going to disagree with you there at all. It takes an extremely simple game and makes it a bit fiddly. Some of the effects can be a good deal of fun, but some of them can fuck over good strategy at times. It's a good way to switch up the experience a bit. I don't play with them 100% of the time.

Some of my favorite cards allow for actions of addtional powers.. so you draw the bottom power chit and auction it off (with VPs) to the highest bidder. Or a card that lets you conquer regions for -1 cost that turn to the highest bidder. One auctions off the first player position, so you start every turn for the rest of the game. Most of the cards aren't this effective, but the cards are designed to allow you to play a game either with nothing but big hitters, or nothing but cards with minor effects as well as a few other themed decks.

Some of the cards just downright suck though. Like the one that pulls all the in decline races off of the board. If you paid extra to get to the ghouls you can really be hosed by that card. There is another that forces everyone to go into decline that turn that I hate. Basically, I have about 10 cards I refuse to play with because I consider them game breaking. The other ones just interject extra chaos.

The additional characters/power on the other hand are necessary to the game in my opinion. The more the merrier as it makes it less likely to see the same characters from game to game.

Honestly, the new storage solution is the thing I am most looking forward to with the new expansion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, probably going to be a light gaming weekend for me since we're getting ready for our move next week. (Upside is new apartment has tons of closet space so I get to put all my games in one gigantic closer -- look forward to posting pics :D.) Will try to play Fresco (played our first last week and enjoyed it), RFTG, and Prosperity.

-Also I think Kingsburg for iPhone is on sale right now.

StoOgE

Just got my birthday presents in!

Le Havre looks amazing. It's my first Uwe Rosenberg game so I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Tonight will be light gaming. Maybe Citadels, Bang! or Werewolf at the bar.

Tomorow a few friends are coming over for a longer session.. I think Le Havre and Brass are probably on the table.

Also looking forward to Twilight Struggle. The components of the newest version (Deluxe 2009) are really nice. They even included the errata cards in this printing, so my version is without issue! Hooray.

StoOgE

Oh, I will say a giant F&*^*&^ You to whoever printed the cards for Le Havre. Every other one was upside down so I had to go through and flip them.

My fingers are already numb from punching the 9K chits that come with this game, can't you give me a break?

Ferrio

Banned
Went to the local comic shop to look for a present for a friend's birthday this Saturday. Didn't find anything she liked... but I left with Dominion: Prosperity for myself... damn this game!

MichaelBD

I had another chance to play Alien Frontiers last night. It's a really fun game.

So far both plays have been similar in that the build up is slow as you accumulate resources and tech and more ships and then it just starts to explode as everyone works to colonize the planet.

Last night we had a 4 player game and it was a 3 way tie for second place with the winner only winning by one point. Talk about close. And in the game we played last week it was a tight contest as well.

It's also nice that earning VPs is pretty straightforward. You only have 3 ways to get them: place a colony (1 point), control a territory (an extra point that can be lost if someone ties you for most colonies in a territory) and through controlling alien tech (two tech cards and a positron field that can be placed with a tech card). I really like how there is no convoluted or complicated scoring system in place. After we played AF some guys went off to play Agricola and I found it such a stark comparison that they need a score sheet to tally up their points at the end of the game (keep in mind I've played Agricola twice and would love to love it but it hasn't "clicked" for me yet as a game).

Anyway, for those waiting on your copies I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

I'm still amazed at the quality of all the components. You get your money's worth.

We also played Ascension again. It's another game I really enjoy because of its ease of play. Though I'm not as thrilled with the component quality as I am with AF. The cards are on a thick, glossy card stock that already shows scuffing after only a few plays. I would think a slightly thinner card stock with a linen finish would have been much more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom