• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I never played a miniature game where it was a hassle to just use the stat cards or a pencil. Seems a bit silly to involve a tablet and just seems to be done as a gimmick.

Another game tried similar using software to play with it to track stats and do the calculations for you. It failed horribly as most gamers found the need for software to go along with your miniature game was silly. And if your rules are so complex that you need software to help calculate anything, you have failed horribly at rule design.

I played Warhammer 40k and I had to look up shit all the time. This might not be a great solution but I will take a look at it. It's probably going to be pretty expensive though.

I played Warhammer 40k and I had to look up shit all the time. This might not be a great solution but I will take a look at it. It's probably going to be pretty expensive though.

It's why 40k is considered by many a dinosaur now. Most games have moved into having stat cards made with all the rules available right in front of you instead of having to flip through a codex book every little thing you do to find a rule or stat for each unit. Again this was tried before and the consensus was how gimmicky it was.

Make it optional type deal, and that could be neat. There is already helper apps for many miniature games out there that do similar things though that a person can get optional. GW even has attempted similar by having interactive codex books now for 40k for use while playing the tabletop, yet they charge silly price for them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do you usually select shipping and get a refund or can you select pickup so you don't have to worry about that jazz?

Live in Norcal so I always do shipping, but qualify for free. Basically I make an order and then edit it throughout the weeks after, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes I'll remove multiple items and add others so something can ship. They've always been super helpful about it -- no problems at all. They basically set aside your order the moment you enter it, and then add/remove from it as needed. Love CSI even though price-wise I think a lot of places are getting close to CSI prices. (Although I have a 5% discount now with loyalty so still the best no matter what for me.)

Neverfade

Live in Norcal so I always do shipping, but qualify for free. Basically I make an order and then edit it throughout the weeks after, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes I'll remove multiple items and add others so something can ship. They've always been super helpful about it -- no problems at all. They basically set aside your order the moment you enter it, and then add/remove from it as needed. Love CSI even though price-wise I think a lot of places are getting close to CSI prices. (Although I have a 5% discount now with loyalty so still the best no matter what for me.)

Yeah I have a game set aside now (Guildhall expansion from when it was daily deal -- really cool card game, terrible art direction), just kinda sucks that the order is sitting there and the shipping won't be refunded until I fill it completely out. Minor inconvenience I guess.

I'm really stoked for Bioshock. I want it ASAP but 71 and change for a preorder on their site is pushing it... Hmm.

Apenheul

Where did you find it... been waiting on a reprint!
It's the Dutch version which I found in a game store called De Dobbelsteen in 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands. To be honest, I had no idea that this game was hard to find but now I'm Googling it and indeed it seems out of stock in most webstores I've checked. This Dutch webstore still lists it but it's 15 Euros more expensive than what I've paid.

4 player Le Havre can be a long game. Don't write it completely off if it doesn't grab you. 3 is pretty good, but I really like the 2p game.
It looks like we'll be playing with 3 today so that's good. I'm playing solo right now to find out how it's played.

Ohnonono

When I picked up C&C yesterday my FLGS owner had just gotten in his game night kit and gave me a playset of the fancy alternate art Scorched Earth. They look rad and I cant wait to blow some fools up with them.

daevv

Not sure how widely known this is but Catan has a new PC version out and it's also hitting Steam at some point. I recently picked up Ticket to Ride on Steam and was hoping for more boardgames on the service.

Link to game.

Facebook quote:

Create your own Catan world including new scenarios and maps. Let the new, detailed graphics take you to an utterly realistic Catan, or choose the classic mode for a genuine board game feeling.Available for download soon on Steam.

fenners

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts

So, first big Board Game that failed on Kickstarter.

I don't know the particulars on what went wrong here, but certainly a sad situation.

The usual suspects on BGG have been digging into his history. It looks like he treated the money as a general "investment" grant rather than as an investment to fund shipping of a boardgame. Let's face it, the game he was pushing wasn't complicated to develop/produce....

The reprint/republish of "Odin's Ravens" via Kickstarter is a flaming disaster too, but hasn't had as much hype as the funding level was relatively low. The guy behind it did a runner with the money & turns out to be a serial fraudster...

Ohnonono

Has anyone got C&C? They are trickling into Chicago, hoping to pick up my reserve tonight.

FLGS got it yesterday. It is the two factions I am less interested in but there is certainly some neat stuff. I really can't wait for a similar Identity dump for the other factions.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The usual suspects on BGG have been digging into his history. It looks like he treated the money as a general "investment" grant rather than as an investment to fund shipping of a boardgame. Let's face it, the game he was pushing wasn't complicated to develop/produce....

The reprint/republish of "Odin's Ravens" via Kickstarter is a flaming disaster too, but hasn't had as much hype as the funding level was relatively low. The guy behind it did a runner with the money & turns out to be a serial fraudster...

The founding of the company and even the computer I don't see massive issues with (assuming it wasn't an insane gaming rig. Lots of ram makes sense. Two GTXs does not).

The "I quit my job to work on the project" seems to be where everything went very very wrong. I assume that means he has been living off of the proceeds of the project for the last year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FLGS got it yesterday. It is the two factions I am less interested in but there is certainly some neat stuff. I really can't wait for a similar Identity dump for the other factions.

I really think FFG is doing a great job at avoiding power creep, and more introducing new strategies/optimizations with the new cards overall. Hell they still need a hard counter for Account Siphon (core) more than any other card. :p

Ohnonono

I really think FFG is doing a great job at avoiding power creep, and more introducing new strategies/optimizations with the new cards overall. Hell they still need a hard counter for Account Siphon (core) more than any other card. :p

Some of the HB stuff in the box is at first glance very scary to think about in fast advance decks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I play HB so I don't mind that as much. :D

Although at this point we're talking 55/45 or even 60/40 potentially for the runner so I'm all for anything that helps Corps tbh. (Prefer playing Corp as well though I've won like 15+ straight with my Gabe econ deck.)

EDIT: I've already put in Pet Project and Efficiency Committee into my HB deck btw. :p

New Viktor and Bastion are nice entries into the pretty sparse mid-cost ice category too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... My girlfriend saw Memoir '44 and when I described to her what it was, she was interested and wants to play it. Now I'm not sure how entry-level Memoir '44 is? In the kind of game it is, I mean. I backed "Up Front" on kickstarter, but that won't come until Christmas... How do the 2 compare you think?

Omikron

Not sure how widely known this is but Catan has a new PC version out and it's also hitting Steam at some point. I recently picked up Ticket to Ride on Steam and was hoping for more boardgames on the service.

Link to game.

Facebook quote:

Cool, if its half decent, will likely pick it up at some point.

It's the Dutch version which I found in a game store called De Dobbelsteen in 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands. To be honest, I had no idea that this game was hard to find but now I'm Googling it and indeed it seems out of stock in most webstores I've checked. This Dutch webstore still lists it but it's 15 Euros more expensive than what I've paid.

It looks like we'll be playing with 3 today so that's good. I'm playing solo right now to find out how it's played.

Yeah... re-print later this year apparently, so just a waiting game.

So... My girlfriend saw Memoir '44 and when I described to her what it was, she was interested and wants to play it. Now I'm not sure how entry-level Memoir '44 is? In the kind of game it is, I mean. I backed "Up Front" on kickstarter, but that won't come until Christmas... How do the 2 compare you think?

Memoir is excellent and super simple to teach/play. Can't really compare to a game that's not available yet

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Memoir is excellent and super simple to teach/play. Can't really compare to a game that's not available yet

How does it compare to games that are available? Also the ruleset and everything for up front has been posted I think, so I figured maybe someone had an idea already. Just wondering if there'd be a better choice for a first "wargame" than Memoir?

Neverfade

How does it compare to games that are available? Also the ruleset and everything for up front has been posted I think, so I figured maybe someone had an idea already. Just wondering if there'd be a better choice for a first "wargame" than Memoir?

It doesn't get more insultingly simple than M44. /hatetrain forever!

All of Richard Borgs series of war games are well regarded for their simplicity. Some would say too light for a true war game but its a classic that is perfect fist timer type of game. Would also recommend Battlecry. Same game system but was the original and personally one of the best of the series. Its based on the Civil War which is a turn off for some, but to me the card and unit balance is much better in Battlecry.

Flynn

These straight up failures make the whole Glory to Rome debacle seem slightly less egregious. Guy got the game out. Late, sloppy, etc. But it came out.

Neverfade

These straight up failures make the whole Glory to Rome debacle seem slightly less egregious. Guy got the game out. Late, sloppy, etc. But it came out.

Well there's at least one guy still waiting in Singapore haha. Huge thread on BGG -- today is his 706th day waiting. Poor fella.

Other news: played Terra Mystica tonight. Definitely a meaty game in all senses of the word.. It has a dense rule book that's more intimidating than it actually is -- things were really straightforward once you get the ifs, ands & buts out of the way. That box is chock full of wood. Second print run is likely leveling an Amazon tribe's home. The different factions definitely play differently to the point where I can see my next play being a total disaster for not adapting. I'm not sure it deserves top a 10 BGG spot, but it played great and managed to keep me interested, despite being Euro-as-fuck. Keeper.

Keasar

Other news: played Terra Mystica tonight. Definitely a meaty game in all senses of the word.. It has a dense rule book that's more intimidating than it actually is -- things were really straightforward once you get the ifs, ands & buts out of the way. That box is chock full of wood. Second print run is likely leveling an Amazon tribe's home. The different factions definitely play differently to the point where I can see my next play being a total disaster for not adapting. I'm not sure it deserves top a 10 BGG spot, but it played great and managed to keep me interested, despite being Euro-as-fuck. Keeper.
I loved my first play with Terra Mystica and I am looking forward to trying again with a different race. While I haven't played that many boardgames that I can put together a top ten list, Terra Mystica would definitely go way up that list for the sheer fun I had with it. :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts

So, first big Board Game that failed on Kickstarter.

I don't know the particulars on what went wrong here, but certainly a sad situation.

Penny Arcade Report seem to have been gathering information about what happened.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...y-what-will-happen-to-the-cancelled-122000-bo

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I still don't understand why everyone is focusing on the fact that the guy formed a company with the money from that Kickstarter. That is a trivial expense in the grand scheme of things (maybe 700 dollars on legal zoom). Given that it was set up *after* funds were received it probably will not give him the protection he thinks it would.

joelseph

Has anyone used money for Wits and Wagers before? I am having a party tomorrow night and considering nickle, dime, quarter instead of the colored chips. Have everyone chip in 5 dollars each to fill the bank, that should last a while right?

Danoss

I still don't understand why everyone is focusing on the fact that the guy formed a company with the money from that Kickstarter. That is a trivial expense in the grand scheme of things (maybe 700 dollars on legal zoom). Given that it was set up *after* funds were received it probably will not give him the protection he thinks it would.

I think the problem is that this is only one of the things that happened. He set up a business (yes, this is a trivial detail), he also moved locations. He had quit his job and it is likely that living expenses came out of the backer funding.

This comment might help put this in perspective.

Erik, I want to make it very clear that I have absolutely nothing against you as a person. You're still one of the coolest guys I've worked with, and I standby my assessment that you're a killer salesman (and the success of your fundraising efforts proves that much) - but I believe your backers have a right to know that this isn't the first time this has happened.

Erik was a part of Joystick Labs - an independent game development incubator in Durham, NC - which formed five companies (mine included). Erik formed a company called Inari, Inc. and got $20,000 in seed funding to build a social pinball game. By the end of six months, the money was gone and there was nothing to show for it. Erik's investors for Inari got completely burned. From what we saw, most of the money went towards buying stuff on Amazon.

I backed this project with the hopes that Joystick Labs was just a learning experience, getting a board game printed seemed substantially easier than getting a video game made. I'm guessing that was a false assumption. Thankfully, I only backed at the T-Shirt level - I'm fine writing off a $25 loss. I really feel bad for the hundreds of backers who pledged $75 or more. I really hope you can get their money back, Erik.

If true, then this is really damning for him. Taxes must be paid on the money received from a Kickstarter project and if all the money is gone, he is hosed and refunding backers will be low on the list of priorities with the IRS breathing down his neck.

fenners

If true, then this is really damning for him. Taxes must be paid on the money received from a Kickstarter project and if all the money is gone, he is hosed and refunding backers will be low on the list of priorities with the IRS breathing down his neck.

It's treated as business income & taxed appropriately based on the company's revenue/profits, as long as you're properly set up as a LLC etc.

Ohnonono

You would! ;)

I play Shaper so I'm excited. Haven't settled on a Corp, split my time between Weyland and NBN.

I'm in the same position with corp. I love NBN and Weyland. Runner I currently run Criminal(Andromeda). I will most likely put together a Shaper deck with Kit from C&C though.

Anyone got experience/feedback on Sentinels of the Multiverse?

Fantastic coop game. Lot of options especially with all the expansions mixed in. There is no deck building of any kind involved either, as it's all premade decks so set up and play is very quick.

Only negative, the art is horrible, some deviantart bad work. But the game is really good either way. It's pretty popular, they have sold out of several runs so far.

Anyone got experience/feedback on Sentinels of the Multiverse?
My friend and I just played it again on Wednesday, I love it. The one knock I have against it is the game becomes a bit min/max-y towards the end. The thing I do love about it, is each character has their own personality. As you play it you will find your favorite character to play as and that's awesome.

The art isn't that bad. It's not at the same level as FFG but its not as bad as something like Ascension. Lets say you'll get used to the art and that's part of its charm.

If you do decide to pick up a copy, I'd recommend the oversized villian cards. Really nice way to plus your game and it makes it easier to see the villian from afar.

My friend and I just played it again on Wednesday, I love it. The one knock I have against it is the game becomes a bit min/max-y towards the end. The thing I do love about it, is each character has their own personality. As you play it you will find your favorite character to play as and that's awesome.

The art isn't that bad. It's not at the same level as FFG but its not as bad as something like Ascension. Lets say you'll get used to the art and that's part of its charm.

If you do decide to pick up a copy, I'd recommend the oversized villian cards. Really nice way to plus your game and it makes it easier to see the villian from afar.

You need to min max to beat some of those harder villains, some are serious PITA's. Mix in some of randomness of certain environments.... eek

Ascension I can see not being for everyone, but its competent and has it's own style. Sentinels art is just..... ugh

Early Ascension art is pretty damn horrible, the artist has made major improvements every expansion. Its pretty good art now, but it used to be really bad.

I never get why the Ascension art is so hated. It seems OK to me!

Yep, I like it a lot. I usually dislike the typical high fantasy drawing present in most games, especially FF games. Technically it's great but it's so bland, so derivative.

Oh look, another perfectly, cleanly drawn dwarf in chain mail. Boring.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't really look closely at the art, so it's almost impressionistic to me. When I actually scrutinize I usually realize the art is something totally different than I thought it was.

Its more that I can see things like the lines of the paper that he used, which makes it look like art he drew while slacking off in class, and the weird proportions.

uwNfqzd.jpg

The new stuff is quite good, he really honed in on his art style, perfected it and now it looks really awesome.

The art style has always been good, it was the earlier execution that was very poor and just seemed lazy.

fenners

Fantastic coop game. Lot of options especially with all the expansions mixed in. There is no deck building of any kind involved either, as it's all premade decks so set up and play is very quick.

Only negative, the art is horrible, some deviantart bad work. But the game is really good either way. It's pretty popular, they have sold out of several runs so far.

My game group loves it. Art is bad stuff.

LOL I did /not/ expect such uniform praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom