• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its more that I can see things like the lines of the paper that he used, which makes it look like art he drew while slacking off in class, and the weird proportions.

The new stuff is quite good, he really honed in on his art style, perfected it and now it looks really awesome.

The art style has always been good, it was the earlier execution that was very poor and just seemed lazy.
I havn't even looked at the new art, I pretty much was bored with the game by the time the second expansion came out. My problem with the art in the first two expansions are like you said, it's very rough, like you can almost see the paper the artist drew it on. To me it looks like cheap colored pencils and everything felt muddy. Some of the art is also too busy and you can't make out what the hell is supposed to be depicted.
mE2pSKo.jpg
Like, what's going on this picture? It's a mess.

I havn't even looked at the new art, I pretty much was bored with the game by the time the second expansion came out. My problem with the art in the first two expansions are like you said, it's very rough, like you can almost see the paper the artist drew it on. To me it looks like cheap colored pencils and everything felt muddy. Some of the art is also too busy and you can't make out what the hell is supposed to be depicted.

Like, what's going on this picture? It's a mess.

I dislike the ruled background but really like the use of colors and don't mind the "muddiness". I don't think good art = clean lines. The newest thing is great.

fenners

We played King of Tokyo for the first time yesterday. Now that's a blast for a light game. Would be a great opening game for a games day/night. Also good seeing as though I won a game.

It's been a huge hit with my six year old daughter this summer - we play it two player mostly - the *glee* on her face when she hits me with a big attack fills me with much joy as a gamer :)

It's been a huge hit with my six year old daughter this summer - we play it two player mostly - the *glee* on her face when she hits me with a big attack fills me with much joy as a gamer :)

The same glee on the face of the grown men yesterday when we played. One bloke couldn't roll a heart to save himself.

What you want to know about Dominant Species?

Just wondering if it's any good or just too long or whatever. We just haven't gotten round to playing it because we're worried it might just be really long and boring.

Just wondering if it's any good or just too long or whatever. We just haven't gotten round to playing it because we're worried it might just be really long and boring.
Dominant Species is far from boring. It's a very confrontational game that can be on the long side. We played with the max players once and it dragged on for too long. We usually will play with four and it gets the game to a more manageable 2-3 hours.

Dominant Species is far from boring. It's a very confrontational game that can be on the long side. We played with the max players once and it dragged on for too long. We usually will play with four and it gets the game to a more manageable 2-3 hours.

2-3 hours sounds ok. I might try and get the boys together next weekend for a game.

Apenheul

I like Agricola with 3-5 and Le Havre with 1-3, so I can understand that.
I've got to say that you were so incredibly right there. With up to three players you can still specialize in resource-types in Le Havre and (at least most of the time) you can readily acquire iron. I don't think Le Havre would even be much fun with 5 players. Agricola with very few players feels like taking turns, if someone gets sheep early on I'll just wait until the end game because I could probably get a dozen by that time. With 4 or 5 players Agricola becomes a much more strategic game IMO, where you might feel that you have to get the sheep now or you'll miss your target.

Well, that's just based on 7 sessions of Agricola and 2 of Le Havre.

daevv

Any new hyped games or promos being released at Gen Con I can get my friend to be on the look out for? He can get me 1 or 2 depending on what he buys or how big the box is. I was gonna go with them but I'm standing in a wedding that weekend.

Any new hyped games or promos being released at Gen Con I can get my friend to be on the look out for? He can get me 1 or 2 depending on what he buys or how big the box is. I was gonna go with them but I'm standing in a wedding that weekend.

Only one I know of is Dungeon Roll that I'm looking forward to. Not sure if you're into push your luck dice games, but How It's Played is currently doing a series on the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love that there is a dexterity-based Rampage game designed by freaking Antoine Bauza. Might be my casual game of the forever.

pic1590125_md.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just saying I really like the mix, and hoping for the best. Bauza is in my top 2 with Garfield. But I'm a huge Ghost Stories fan and like 7 Wonders a ton even still.

Neverfade

While I'm excited for Rampage and all...

7 wonders is fine....aaaand that's about the extent of Bauza I can stand.

I'd try Takenoko before writing it off, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ghost Stories is the best co-op game, bar none! Hanabi is quite fun too if you can get comfortable with the table talk rules. I've actually stayed away from Takenoko and Tokaido I've stayed away from because they don't really seem my style.

Neverfade

I'm offended you'd even suggest I'd enjoy filth like FI.

I obtained a copy somehow a long time ago and I keep it in a closet out of my sight. I'd love to trade it away.

Matt Leacock is a crook.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm offended you'd even suggest I'd enjoy filth like FI.

I obtained a copy somehow a long time ago and I keep it in a closet out of my sight. I'd love to trade it away.

Matt Leacock is a crook.

I totally saw that coming lol.

What about something solitaire/coop like the LOTR LCG? :p

Neverfade

I don't really like solo anything.

LOTR: LCG was one of the less egregious co-ops I've played, but I still only lasted about 4 games.

Edit: AHA! Escape is a co-op game I can get behind. But I mean, it lasts 10 minutes and is more about screaming at each other/the dice than winning really.

Apenheul

Ghost Stories just happens to be really hard to find around here, otherwise I'd have picked that game up as co-op is my favorite type of game. Qua co-op I've mostly been playing Arkham Horror, Gears of War and Battlestar Galactica, but in AH and GoW the co-op just means that you're on the same side and it's not like there's interesting player interaction going on. In BSG the Crisis cards require all players to chip in which I think is a much more powerful co-op element. However, apart from the voting I don't find BSG particularly interesting.

Ghost Stories just happens to be really hard to find around here, otherwise I'd have picked that game up as co-op is my favorite type of game.

Ghost Stories is on ios and plays pretty well IMO. You probably already knew that though but I figured I would throw it out just in case.

While I'm excited for Rampage and all...

7 wonders is fine....aaaand that's about the extent of Bauza I can stand.

I'd try Takenoko before writing it off, though.

Ghost Stories is the best co-op game, bar none! Hanabi is quite fun too if you can get comfortable with the table talk rules. I've actually stayed away from Takenoko and Tokaido I've stayed away from because they don't really seem my style.
Takenoko is a great family game. It's not going to blow your mind but it's fun and would make a good gateway. Tokaido is so-so. There aren't too many interesting descisions and the only real draw is that it looks gorgeous.

Xater

You know somehow getting more into board games got me now the idea that it would also be cool to play a P&P RPG. Then i remember how hard it can be to get a board gaming group together and imagine how much more difficult this must be for an RPG. I should really kill that thought.

Barmaley

Neo Member
You know somehow getting more into board games got me now the idea that it would also be cool to play a P&P RPG. Then i remember how hard it can be to get a board gaming group together and imagine how much more difficult this must be for an RPG. I should really kill that thought.

I've been considering this too for some time now. My group doesn't seem to be very indisposed to the idea of trying an rpg. Though, if we ever get to that, it's probably gonna be warhammer the 3rd edition, because of all the boardgamey bits and stuff; would make the transfer easier.
The only problem is, not one of us has ever played an rpg, nevermind GM-ed one. Bunch of newbs testing the waters.
Also I'd probably have to do all the heavy-lifting of GMing, teaching the rules and generally keeping everyone in check. And I'm already getting tired of having to play the overlord in descent every time......

Xater

I've been considering this too for some time now. My group doesn't seem to be very indisposed to the idea of trying an rpg. Though, if we ever get to that, it's probably gonna be warhammer the 3rd edition, because of all the boardgamey bits and stuff; would make the transfer easier.
The only problem is, not one of us has ever played an rpg, nevermind GM-ed one. Bunch of newbs testing the waters.
Also I'd probably have to do all the heavy-lifting of GMing, teaching the rules and generally keeping everyone in check. And I'm already getting tired of having to play the overlord in descent every time......

That as well. I also realized through my studies of some RPGs today that they can be a bigger money and time sink than board games. I think I'll just stick to what I know. It's not like I NEED even more gaming in my life.

Xater

Has anyone had experience with people who would normally not pick up Descent and getting them into it? I kinda want o get and play it, but my group is basically a bunch of Euro gamers whose favorite game is Power Grid.

Fiasco is a really interesting RPG that can serve as a gateway to other more number-ier RPGs. If you play with creative people or people who like to act, it's a great time. There's an episode of Tabletop where they play Fiasco. Check it out.

RPG's are easy for players to understand and play, the hardest part generally falls onto the shoulders of the GM who must read all the rules, understand it all, be the judge, and come up with the stories to tell. On the player's end they tend to just need to understand whats on their character sheet and the mechanic basics which anyone who plays video games or can handle some complex board games will easily grasp. It's often just common sense or they have seen similar concepts in a video game most likely.

Fiasco is a really interesting RPG that can serve as a gateway to other more number-ier RPGs. If you play with creative people or people who like to act, it's a great time. There's an episode of Tabletop where they play Fiasco. Check it out.

Usually find it easier to introduce rpgs to players by using more rule heavy games. The hardest aspect about role playing games to teach is generally getting players to actually roleplay. For folks who do board games and video games, usually to move into something like D&D with a lot of structure, is much easier. The hardest thing lot of players have trouble with, is actually getting into a character and understanding what real roleplaying is about.

Having a more meaty rule set helps players slip into a roleplay scenario as the rules usually dictate what happens and they can work from there. A game like Fiasco essentially has no real rules outside of game setup, it's completely improv and that is where players often freak out.

The other issue with RPG groups tends to be often that they will be diverse in the type of players you get. You will have a few who might be awesome roleplayers and it clicks for them, but often there will be those who are more timid and rather roll dice and play with the numbers than having to do much actually acting. In the same sense you get players who are great at the roleplay part, but can't understand rules worth a damn. Hosted so many groups in my time and you seem to always get a mix of players, they don't all get on the same page, so you tend to have to find a balance in your game. Providing narrative and time to shine for the roleplayers, while also keeping the interest of the ROLLplayers who want to play a game more than tell a story. For new players who have never done such a game, it will be a slow process to figure out what the group is like, as they themselves have no idea what they like in a rpg.

That as well. I also realized through my studies of some RPGs today that they can be a bigger money and time sink than board games. I think I'll just stick to what I know. It's not like I NEED even more gaming in my life.

Outside of Warhammer 3rd Ed RPG, most RPG's will be FAR FAR cheaper than board games. Essentially you usually just need one copy of the rulebook and nothing more but some dice and pencil/paper. Stuff like minis, maps, boards, etc are all not required and usually completely optional aspects to heighten a game. Majority of rpgs don't even use any components outside of the rulebook.

joelseph

My Wits and Wagers BBQ was a success.

We went from 5-2, gaming the entire time we weren't eating.

Started the games with Wits and Wagers. The seven of us payed the bank 5 dollars to start. Bids started at 10 cents. We were able to get through 4 games before the bank ran dry.

We transitioned into Citadels. 7 person Citadels is not my idea of fun but we needed something that accommodate us all and Resistance/Avalon doesn't go over well with the group.

Ended the night with Cards vs Humanity. We were drunk and this seems to be a go-to for the non-gaming crowd. No complaints.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My Wits and Wagers BBQ was a success.

We went from 5-2, gaming the entire time we weren't eating.

Started the games with Wits and Wagers. The seven of us payed the bank 5 dollars to start. Bids started at 10 cents. We were able to get through 4 games before the bank ran dry.

We transitioned into Citadels. 7 person Citadels is not my idea of fun but we needed something that accommodate us all and Resistance/Avalon doesn't go over well with the group.

Ended the night with Cards vs Humanity. We were drunk and this seems to be a go-to for the non-gaming crowd. No complaints.
Too bad you didn't have King of Tokyo! Still have to take seven individual turns but everyone is pretty constantly engaged.

joelseph

I play games at work on Fridays and had forgot KoT and xpac there, would have played it over Citadels and Cards vs Humanity in a heart beat.

I have the original box signed, I need to remember to bring my xpac to GenCon to get signed. I also want to pick up a couple of Richard's Gifts.

Danoss

Not at all. Outside of some dice and maybe a deck of cards, the cost of playing RPGs can be rather negligible. Many people new to the hobby think it's only the 800-pound gorillas like D&D, Pathfinder and White Wolf/Onyx Path that are worth looking at and nothing could be further from the truth. In a number of cases the cost can be as low as zero or pay-what-you-want for a game PDF, or only a few dollars, and these games are good.

You can spend as little or as much as you want, just like any hobby. I have many RPG game books and PDFs, just like I have many board games because I really like the hobby. Both of them have a low cost to entry if you just want to test the water and see if it's to your liking.

Usually find it easier to introduce rpgs to players by using more rule heavy games. The hardest aspect about role playing games to teach is generally getting players to actually roleplay. For folks who do board games and video games, usually to move into something like D&D with a lot of structure, is much easier. The hardest thing lot of players have trouble with, is actually getting into a character and understanding what real roleplaying is about.

While I agree with your point that players vary in levels of comfort regarding what they're comfortable doing at the table, I disagree that a rules-heavy game is the solution to guide their way. I find that is more the role of the GM to get the player engaged with the story and the character. Often timid players will resort to discussing game mechanics rather than what is actually occurring in the game itself, rules-heavy games can encourage this and it can be a difficult habit to break.

Of course pressuring such a player is not a good idea, the aim is for them to have fun not have a spotlight shined on them to make them uncomfortable. Guiding them through it to encourage interesting play by offering suggestions and giving examples as well as other players at the table demonstrating varying degrees at which this can be done. "I sift through the dirt on my hands and knees looking for the hidden door we were told would be found here" is infinitely more interesting than "I roll perception, what do I find?" It can be as simple as asking what their character is doing, to describe their actions. Again, suggestions and examples and questions laden with hints can start to get them on the right track. To engage the fiction which triggers the rules instead of directly engaging the rules.

Some people aren't comfortable talking in the first person and such, and that's fine. There's no need to push for those, they'll either start when they're ready or not at all, but the player should at least demonstrate some sort of control over their character. "I roll dice and you as the GM tell me everything that happens" is not what roleplaying is about, at least for me. If I want story time, I'll read a book; if I want to craft a cool story with my friends or other people, I roleplay.

I believe most people have it in them, many of us did it as kids, so it's really nothing new. Playing cops and robbers, pirates, <insert favourite cartoon/tv show/movie/whatever recreated with friends here>, playing with action figures. All these are roleplaying and there were very little rules other than what was made up on the spot and maybe iterated on as they were played more often. The only real difference is that whatever game system is used at the table has rules for conflict resolution and benefits/penalties to encourage certain types of behaviour.

Icefire1424

Anyone been following the "Up Front" reprint drama from Kickstarter? Only caught wind of it a bit ago as it seemed like something I would be interested in, but sounds like there are some pending lawsuits and general shenanigans behind the scenes that will likely have some fairly major ramifications on the game actually getting published. Would love to see it printed, but starting to get the feeling that may not be too likely.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anyone been following the "Up Front" reprint drama from Kickstarter? Only caught wind of it a bit ago as it seemed like something I would be interested in, but sounds like there are some pending lawsuits and general shenanigans behind the scenes that will likely have some fairly major ramifications on the game actually getting published. Would love to see it printed, but starting to get the feeling that may not be too likely.

Mhmm it doesn't sound so bad from the emails I've been getting, but... That evidently doesn't mean much, given recent history. I hope for the best and the current December ETA.

Apenheul

Maybe look into Gears of War: The Board Game? It replaces the DM by Enemy AI cards so everyone can just enjoy dungeon crawling. It works really well IMO. Thematically it's totally different of course but me and my group really enjoy playing it.

It's the Dutch version which I found in a game store called De Dobbelsteen in 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands. To be honest, I had no idea that this game was hard to find but now I'm Googling it and indeed it seems out of stock in most webstores I've checked. This Dutch webstore still lists it but it's 15 Euros more expensive than what I've paid
I went to the store again and they've restocked Le Havre, I guess the Dutch version is quite commonly available. And while I was there I've ordered Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island.

While I agree with your point that players vary in levels of comfort regarding what they're comfortable doing at the table, I disagree that a rules-heavy game is the solution to guide their way. I find that is more the role of the GM to get the player engaged with the story and the character. Often timid players will resort to discussing game mechanics rather than what is actually occurring in the game itself, rules-heavy games can encourage this and it can be a difficult habit to break.

Of course pressuring such a player is not a good idea, the aim is for them to have fun not have a spotlight shined on them to make them uncomfortable. Guiding them through it to encourage interesting play by offering suggestions and giving examples as well as other players at the table demonstrating varying degrees at which this can be done. "I sift through the dirt on my hands and knees looking for the hidden door we were told would be found here" is infinitely more interesting than "I roll perception, what do I find?" It can be as simple as asking what their character is doing, to describe their actions. Again, suggestions and examples and questions laden with hints can start to get them on the right track. To engage the fiction which triggers the rules instead of directly engaging the rules.

Some people aren't comfortable talking in the first person and such, and that's fine. There's no need to push for those, they'll either start when they're ready or not at all, but the player should at least demonstrate some sort of control over their character. "I roll dice and you as the GM tell me everything that happens" is not what roleplaying is about, at least for me. If I want story time, I'll read a book; if I want to craft a cool story with my friends or other people, I roleplay.

I believe most people have it in them, many of us did it as kids, so it's really nothing new. Playing cops and robbers, pirates, <insert favourite cartoon/tv show/movie/whatever recreated with friends here>, playing with action figures. All these are roleplaying and there were very little rules other than what was made up on the spot and maybe iterated on as they were played more often. The only real difference is that whatever game system is used at the table has rules for conflict resolution and benefits/penalties to encourage certain types of behaviour.

Even with a rule heavy game, it's up to the GM really to direct how heavy handed the roleplay is. Some games obviously are not the best idea but it's also why I always recommend that players don't bother with reading any rules, they should have no more than their character sheets in front of them. For this purpose it's good to go with a game with pregenerated character choices as an icebreaker for a group to see what they can do. Don't make them learn the rules or have to think on character creation, let them just play right off the bat and see what they can do with a character of their choice.

From there you can move onto some more free form play once you get a feel for a group.

I just never can recommend anyone start rpg newb group on a narrative focused game. In my experience that is what often has scared away players from trying rpgs again. Got to ease them into it and encourage and let them blossom into roleplayers.

Fiasco is the exact game that nearly lost my GF from our roleplaying group ironically. But shes gotten back in with more structured games.

Folks like to paint some of the more rules heavy rpg systems as being nothing but rolling dice but the level of narrative and roleplay involved is generally up the GM and what he can get out of a group.

Icefire1424

Mhmm it doesn't sound so bad from the emails I've been getting, but... That evidently doesn't mean much, given recent history. I hope for the best and the current December ETA.

On a plus note, I wasn't even aware they were shooting for a December ETA, so that's good. Still excited for it, hope everything works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom