• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
King of Tokyo is a pretty reliable crowd-pleaser and I've never seen anyone come away from the game disappointed. It's not a very complex game, but it's executed very well in terms of the mechanics being simple but requiring some strategy, and the quality of the components being nice (I love the energy cubes, and the feel of the dice is quite nice).
Thanks Kark, I read a few reviews on amazon as well and it seems interesting. I'd like to play a game of it before I commit to buying. Same goes for Formula D. I know the place I go for board game nights has it available, or at least did at some point. I love car racing so it seems like a game that would be perfect for me.

Played some more Ascension tonight and was destroyed by my friend. He said he had been playing the iOS version, I just played for the first time last night. D:

edit: Gah I keep going back and forth on that Star Wars miniatures game. The fact it doesn't come with a board or 3x3 placemat for it just sours the package for me for some reason.

edit: Gah I keep going back and forth on that Star Wars miniatures game. The fact it doesn't come with a board or 3x3 placemat for it just sours the package for me for some reason.

Game board serves no purpose in X-Wing. It would also confine the game to specific size, which it's not supposed to.

AcridMeat

Banned
Game board serves no purpose in X-Wing. It would also confine the game to specific size, which it's not supposed to.
I thought the game itself says to play on a 3x3 surface? Screw it I'm ordering this bitch. I can't take this back and forth with my brain. ($27 on amazon right now isn't too bad)

I spent too long last night making a list of games I want to try/buy eventually.

Race For the Galaxy
Android Netrunner
Formula D
Munchkin Deluxe
King of Tokyo
Galaxy Trucker
Fluxx 4.0
Smash Up
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skyllzfyre

I feel like this will keep me quite busy the next few weeks at that shop. Any input on any of those games are helpful. Especially that last one, as it doesn't seem to be available online, but it's at the store I go to.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tournament rules is 3x3 yes. I got a Gale Force 9 playfield and it's amazing. I like a clear 3x3 because it lets me do stuff like ion-spam big ships and run them off the board. :)

I thought the game itself says to play on a 3x3 surface? Screw it I'm ordering this bitch. I can't take this back and forth with my brain. ($27 on amazon right now isn't too bad)

That's the standard size of the playing field for scenarios or basic 100pt games, but you can play whatever you want. For team games and larger point battles you will want much more table space. Miniature games you play whatever you want usually, and there is not purpose for a board. If you need to have some kind of surface to play on, they are releasing cardboad space tiles for you to create a backdrop in the near future.

Epic level rules are coming early next year with them adding the new larger classes of ships too so likely table size will be very flexible then.

We frankly just use the entire table when we play and don't worry about specific boarders, gives us lot more movement options.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you need to have some kind of surface to play on, they are releasing cardboad space tiles for you to create a backdrop in the near future.
They canceled this project due to quality issues and are reassessing I believe. I doubt they'd produce anything of the quality of the GF9 mats tbh.

They canceled this project due to quality issues and are reassessing I believe. I doubt they'd produce anything of the quality of the GF9 mats tbh.

Ah, never heard anything about it after the reveal, was kinda wondering why I didn't see them at gencon either lol.

They were just gonna be cheap pieces of cardboard either way, you can get lot of game mat options out there, especially like the various cloth space mats that can be used in wide array of space games and make for easy token/card pick ups.

Or the easiest thing to do is just get a cheap black bed sheet. Get various types of spray paint and spray at the bed sheet from a good distance. It creates paint specs that appear like stars. Super cheap and easy space mats for any game!

Angst

So my math trade ended and I will trade Escape and GoT the board game. In return I'll get Race for the Galaxy and Android Netrunner. Pretty happy with that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So my math trade ended and I will trade Escape and GoT the board game. In return I'll get Race for the Galaxy and Android Netrunner. Pretty happy with that.

UPGRADE! Haha those are all pretty great games though (not a big GoT fan but "I totally see the merit") but RFTG and Netrunner are easily two of my top five of all time.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The Tabletop episode on Resistance makes that look like a lot of fun. But I seldom get that many people together for a game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Tabletop episode on Resistance makes that look like a lot of fun. But I seldom get that many people together for a game.

It's a TON of fun. The more, the better (5/6 is kind of "easy" for the resistance, and makes the game too much deduction and not enough baseless accusations. :p )

The Resistance is the best "work place game for a work for that normally doesn't play games a whole lot" game. It's one of those games that is so inexpensive for how much fun and use you'll get out of it that it's worth getting for just in case.

Angst

UPGRADE! Haha those are all pretty great games though (not a big GoT fan but "I totally see the merit") but RFTG and Netrunner are easily two of my top five of all time.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to playing both games. I liked GoT, but my group didn't take to it and it's not exactly a solo game... :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I just (re?)discovered boardgamearena.com and my goodness is it great. The interface is a little spastic but they have RFTG, Seasons, T'Zolkin. Oh man, so much goodness.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Been playing a fair amount of Elder Signs over the last week.

It's a pretty fun little dice chucker. Really like it a lot.

It definitely has it's yahtzee like roots, but I think the theme is pretty good, and you have to pay attention to the great old one that you have (we had hastor, which meant we had to really focus on killing monsters as they appeared).

I ordered the expansion just because I can see the game hitting the table. It's a nice quick game that you can have a couple beers with.

StoOgE

FFG's customer service rocks historically for replacement parts but the lead employee behind it left a while back. Email them & see. I know they've replaced parts for my games that I didn't expect with no troubles, unlike certain other publishers now asking for photos & scans of receipts etc...

Fun fact: selling games in Europe means sending replacement parts to Europe.

Two meeples to Germany cost me like 17 dollars the other day :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Been playing a fair amount of Elder Signs over the last week.

It's a pretty fun little dice chucker. Really like it a lot.

It definitely has it's yahtzee like roots, but I think the theme is pretty good, and you have to pay attention to the great old one that you have (we had hastor, which meant we had to really focus on killing monsters as they appeared).

I ordered the expansion just because I can see the game hitting the table. It's a nice quick game that you can have a couple beers with.

Been sitting on this for a few months after getting hooked on the iPad. I'm a bit intimidated to even set it up -- Ascension Effect in that I've clearly been super spoiled by the ease of playing this digitally. But I love games with Yahtzee rerolling and I like the theme so I definitely have to suck it up one of these days.

StoOgE

Been sitting on this for a few months after getting hooked on the iPad. I'm a bit intimidated to even set it up -- Ascension Effect in that I've clearly been super spoiled by the ease of playing this digitally. But I love games with Yahtzee rerolling and I like the theme so I definitely have to suck it up one of these days.

Its a really fast set up actually... maybe 5 minutes?

4 small decks of goods, 1 event deck, 1 deck of locations, 1 deck of otherworlds.. then you randomly select an old one to fight, everyone draws a random character (and picks up their starting goods, health and sanity tokens).. then you place 6 of the location cards, flip over the first of the event cards and start playing.

The only management to keep up with is making sure you don't forget the effects of a "at midnight" card on the table and that someone understands the monster placement rules. Other than that it's pretty straightforward game.

I think it's an easier set up than Dominion since everything is sat out and there isn't any need to hunt down specific cards (with the exception of 1 character card that gets a specific ally to start with)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The expansion is definitely worth getting. Good to have more locations, Ancient Ones and characters. Plus the blessing and curses are a nice addition.

Brashnir

I think it's an easier set up than Dominion since everything is sat out and there isn't any need to hunt down specific cards (with the exception of 1 character card that gets a specific ally to start with)

Elder Sign is definitely a faster setup than Dominion, for the reasons you've cited. In fact, it's a super easy game to get going. Whish is in stark contrast to Arkham Horror, which - while a lot of fun - it an absolute mess to set up and re-start.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Started playing Seasons again tonight and man I wish someone would use and evolve those mechanics. Long story short first you have a draft a la 7 Wonders, but then you split up your 9 cards so that you get 3 to start, and then 3 1/3 in, and the last 3 2/3 in. Game also has absolutely fantastic art. At its core it's a bit dry and cube-pushy but the neat mechanics and art keep me coming back.

Ohnonono

I would say for sure grab Elder Sign. I try not to get too many of the Yahtzee style games but I play a lot of solo so I try a ton. D-Day dice and Elder Sign are both really great for that style of game and even though D-Day is a bit more complex I enjoy Elder Sign more. Ultimately an easy way of interacting with the Lovecraft theme is great. Also I like the table top version much more than IOS. Rolling dice is fun.

I would say for sure grab Elder Sign. I try not to get too many of the Yahtzee style games but I play a lot of solo so I try a ton. D-Day dice and Elder Sign are both really great for that style of game and even though D-Day is a bit more complex I enjoy Elder Sign more. Ultimately an easy way of interacting with the Lovecraft theme is great. Also I like the table top version much more than IOS. Rolling dice is fun.

My wife who is not a gamer but plays games with me a lot always wants to play Elder Signs. It's her favorite game. When I ask if she wants to play certain games she says, "I guess." When I ask if she wants to play Elder Signs she says, "Yes." It's also the only game she's come up to me and asked to play specifically.

The expansion is really good. The new Ancient Ones can be really hard (the one that removes locations from the game when you fail a task), but the curse and blessing once you figure out how they work (it's a bit ambiguous especially for blessings) are really cool.

Ohnonono

My wife who is not a gamer but plays games with me a lot always wants to play Elder Signs. It's her favorite game. When I ask if she wants to play certain games she says, "I guess." When I ask if she wants to play Elder Signs she says, "Yes." It's also the only game she's come up to me and asked to play specifically.

The expansion is really good. The new Ancient Ones can be really hard (the one that removes locations from the game when you fail a task), but the curse and blessing once you figure out how they work (it's a bit ambiguous especially for blessings) are really cool.

I may check out the expansion. Thanks for the impressions.

Here is the link to the Tide of Iron Core Set reprint Kickstarter (as well as the Stalingrad expansion) if anyone is interested. For me I will probably get Stalingrad from a local retailer since shipping costs are too high for Canada. I do want the refreshed rulebook, the German sIG tanks and the first stretch goal though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1641418217/1as-next-wave-tide-of-iron-core-set-and-stalingrad?ref=live

Looks like a much better designed program this time compared to their cancelled version. I really saw no reason to pledge before.

My wife and I and two friends split the price of Pathfinder last night. You see, none of us has really ever played any RP or board games extensively. I made em pay to commit them...but in any case, we took forever to setup and learn the rules but everyone really enjoyed it. We also abandoned the timer mechanic halfway through because it was our first time and we literally found the villain as the last card in the last open location. (We decided the whole thing would just be a practice run anyway) We're still not clear on some rules and we glossed over some things for time, but I'm going to really study up before our next session! Such a fun game though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Star Wars Miniatures is here! Will give impressions after tonight.

I ordered Munchkin Deluxe last night too...

...and am going to see about giving my friend some money to split the cost of Settlers of Catan...

I have a problem. I'm waiting to get paid in a week now so I can probably buy K2. Or Neuroshima Hex. I played the lite iOS version of that last night and found it interesting and fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am not a huge fan of K2. Art and component quality is very good but in terms of mechanics it really boils down to whether you enjoy puzzles involving choosing the most efficient permutation of actions among many. If you do, K2 is perfect.

AcridMeat

Banned
I am not a huge fan of K2. Art and component quality is very good but in terms of mechanics it really boils down to whether you enjoy puzzles involving choosing the most efficient permutation of actions among many. If you do, K2 is perfect.
Making tough choices is a big draw for me with board games, so I think I'd enjoy it. Have you played Hex?

Omikron

Star Wars Miniatures is here! Will give impressions after tonight.

I ordered Munchkin Deluxe last night too...

...and am going to see about giving my friend some money to split the cost of Settlers of Catan...

I have a problem. I'm waiting to get paid in a week now so I can probably buy K2. Or Neuroshima Hex. I played the lite iOS version of that last night and found it interesting and fun.
Look Acrid, you used to be cool. Then you bought Munchkin.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Making tough choices is a big draw for me with board games, so I think I'd enjoy it. Have you played Hex?

Yes, I love Hex on iOS/Android. The tabletop version it's a little bit difficult to make sure you track and resolve every combat phase correctly, but other than that it's an excellent game imo. (People might disagree -- some find it too dry or fiddly. I actually think in terms of mechanics reflecting theme it does a really good job.)

AcridMeat

Banned
Look Acrid, you used to be cool. Then you bought Munchkin.
I wanted something to teach drunk people. I'm familiar with it at least so it's easier to talk through. It's something different from the Cards Against Humanity we play with that group. I'll stop making excuses now.
Yes, I love Hex on iOS/Android. The tabletop version it's a little bit difficult to make sure you track and resolve every combat phase correctly, but other than that it's an excellent game imo. (People might disagree -- some find it too dry or fiddly. I actually think in terms of mechanics reflecting theme it does a really good job.)
Yeah just playing it last night I could already see how most of the physical game may be spent just sorting the combat.

krzy123

My wife and I also just picked up elder signs. We both love it, set up is even easier if you get a storage box for the little bits, couple minutes tops. Really like the dice rolling mechanic.

Might have to check out the expansion.

StoOgE

Could someone give a quick run down on what Elder Signs is? All this good word of mouth has piqued my interest.

It's a dice-game based(ish) on Arkham Horror.

You enter different rooms in Mistakonic Museum trying to close them off and collect enough Elder Signs to seal away the ancient one. Monsters pop up to fight you and you can collect goodies that give you extra fire-power to complete the locations.

It has Yahtzee like elements (trying to roll certain combos), but the theme is really strong.

It's also a pretty affordable game that handles 8 players. Good stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned

Resistance is one of my favorite games. 7 and 9 players definitely are the best counts. 5 is kind of unplayable, IMO...there's just no way to deduce anything and games can end up being very one sided.

I liken it to a condensed version of Battlestar Galactica. If you only have 5 players and can manage to play a longer game, I'd recommend BSG instead.

edit: wait...have we misunderstood the rules or are they just ambiguous? We've always voted by shuffling just like mission cards. If you don't shuffle, that would really change the game. Maybe a 5 player game would be more interesting with that...we've always also thought the leader had to go on the mission, and I guess that's not the case. I take back my thoughts on the 5 player game until I try it with the proper rules.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's a dice-game based(ish) on Arkham Horror.

You enter different rooms in Mistakonic Museum trying to close them off and collect enough Elder Signs to seal away the ancient one. Monsters pop up to fight you and you can collect goodies that give you extra fire-power to complete the locations.

It has Yahtzee like elements (trying to roll certain combos), but the theme is really strong.

It's also a pretty affordable game that handles 8 players. Good stuff.
Oh wow up to 8 that sounds fantastic. Adding it to the list then, thanks for the write up.

Not a board game thing but some in here might have missed it. Bones final countdown has begun, only four days left to get your pledges in and if it's like last one, there is going to be tons of extra stuff added before it's over.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones

For $100 you get all this so far, and going to be more by the time this ends. You are paying less than a dollar per fig, it's quite a deal. And ton of extras you can buy for cheap too.
10420763454_8b5bdb45b8_o.jpg

Ledsen

You may be paying less than $1 per model, but you still have to buy at least 100+ models! I'm sure the postage to Europe would be at least an extra $50 as well :(

edit: Damn they won't mark it down for customs so that's an additional 25% in VAT on top of the $100+shipping here in Sweden... that amounts to close to $200 all together... lol Sweden

joelseph

Update on my Extra Life status; With just over $1,600 in donations collected I am currently 19th out of 15,000+ participants. I am so excited to see this years event through to completion that I can barely concentrate at work. 2 more weeks!

And there is still time to donate! You can give any amount no matter how small. All proceeds go to the Children's Hospital Network and are tax deductible.

On the date of the event I will be tweeting pictures from either my account @joelparrett or the groups account @lighterthieves

Astrolad donated, what's your excuse?!

You may be paying less than $1 per model, but you still have to buy at least 100+ models! I'm sure the postage to Europe would be at least an extra $50 as well :(

edit: Damn they won't mark it down for customs so that's an additional 25% in VAT on top of the $100+shipping here in Sweden... that amounts to close to $200 all together... lol Sweden

You can pledge only $1 and pick and choose what you buy. This is the core set which really was about 56 miniatures for $100, but everything else is the freebies that have been tossed in so far. If your into miniatures for any reason, it's a great deal.

Yea shipping for Europe is a bitch, but they are doing it this way as they lost a lot of money on the previous kickstarter due to international shipping.

StoOgE

Update on my Extra Life status; With just over $1,600 in donations collected I am currently 19th out of 15,000+ participants. I am so excited to see this years event through to completion that I can barely concentrate at work. 2 more weeks!

And there is still time to donate! You can give any amount no matter how small. All proceeds go to the Children's Hospital Network and are tax deductible.

On the date of the event I will be tweeting pictures from either my account @joelparrett or the groups account @lighterthieves

Astrolad donated, what's your excuse?!

We donated through Troll in a Corner a little earlier and comped them a few games to play and auction off after the fact.

It's a really awesome cause.

Ledsen

You can pledge only $1 and pick and choose what you buy. This is the core set which really was about 56 miniatures for $100, but everything else is the freebies that have been tossed in so far. If your into miniatures for any reason, it's a great deal.

Yea shipping for Europe is a bitch, but they are doing it this way as they lost a lot of money on the previous kickstarter due to international shipping.

Oh, that's great then! Seems like they mostly do fantasy models though, a shame since I play 40k.

StoOgE

I'm actually curious what makes people back a miniature campaign like Zombicide or Sedition Wars. They are boxed board games that also have minis (vs something like Reaper where it's literally just a bunch of minis)

Is it because they want the minis for other uses or because they want the game, or some combination?

We've got a game reprint we're planning for next Spring that has minis, and I'm trying to decide if we should make 30mm minis instead of 25mm to appeal to people who might just want the minis.

Then again, at most we'll have 5 unique characters sculpts (though 75 minis) and a few terrain pieces. So we may not even appeal to that crowd in any case. Being not a mini gamer, I have no idea how to appeal to that group at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom