• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setreal

Would anyone be able to recommend a card or board game that has an interesting use of technology (integrated RFID chips, LED screens, etc.) - something outside of the norm? Just something I'm interested in and that you don't see too often!

Chorazin

Played Galactic Strike Force last night, holy shit is that a fiddly motherfucker. You can certainly tell it was made by the Sentinels of the Multiverse people....

Would anyone be able to recommend a card or board game that has an interesting use of technology (integrated RFID chips, LED screens, etc.) - something outside of the norm? Just something I'm interested in and that you don't see too often!
I couldn't think of any. The closest I thought of was reference stuff like the 7 Wonders app that keeps track of stats and helps score the game. I know some games come with QED codes so you can watch tutorial videos but nothing where it is integral to the gaming experience.

Speaking of the Sentinels guys i really am thinking about backing out of the Tactics kickstarter, I'm not really a mini's guy to begin with but was hoping my love for the world they've created would pull me in. But here i am a few weeks later and from what little gameplay I've seen the game just doesn't look that appealing, just a lot of straightforward dice rolling. Not to mention the fact that i still don't really like the way they've run their kickstarter, with the stretch goals really feeling like add-ons all the way through. Right now I see very little reason to not just wait it out and pick it up in-store once I see some reviews.

Speaking of the Sentinels guys i really am thinking about backing out of the Tactics kickstarter, I'm not really a mini's guy to begin with but was hoping my love for the world they've created would pull me in. But here i am a few weeks later and from what little gameplay I've seen the game just doesn't look that appealing, just a lot of straightforward dice rolling. Not to mention the fact that i still don't really like the way they've run their kickstarter, with the stretch goals really feeling like add-ons all the way through. Right now I see very little reason to not just wait it out and pick it up in-store once I see some reviews.
If it's already funded, why not just wait? Unless they are doing something exclusive that you absolutely must have wait until retail.

Phthisis

Golem Arcana. Guys who made Shadowrun Returns are developing it.

If it's already funded, why not just wait? Unless they are doing something exclusive that you absolutely must have wait until retail.

Yeah, I decided to back out, just wanted to vent my frustrations with the campaign. On a better note, I introduced Avalon to my entire extended family including ten or so cousins under the age of 13 and everyone loved it. Glad I can start the youngsters down the board game path early.

blurrygil

I never bit on it, and I'm a massive Sentinels fan (all expansions and most promos). Just doesn't seem to be all that head and shoulders above all the other tactics-based games out there. In fact, it looks fairly unexciting.

Fund Mercs: Recon instead

Keasar

I didn't bite on the Sentinel Tactics Kickstarter either, mostly because I have decided to stay away from miniature games that usually just cost tons, so I backed the Catacombs Kickstarter instead. Been wanting a dexterity game for a while and Catacombs sounded like a lot of fun from the impressions of the first print, flicking discs at stuff and constantly wailing as they roll over the table edge.

blurrygil

Fund Mercs: Recon instead

The gameplay videos are just terrible. So confusing as to what he's doing with no indication of why he's making certain moves, etc. The game comes off as really complex to me.

I'd love to back it, but that project is going to see an absurd amount of production delays with so many rewards. I just get a bad feeling about the KS, itself.

I may bite from a retail standpoint. The game certainly looks like a lot of fun, thematically.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am trying to scale back my board-game kickstarting as well. That's not saying much though; I did do Tokaido Collector's Edition and then Roll Through The Ages Iron Age before that. But those are both proven quantities. For most others I feel like the looks cool:actually is cool ratio is like 10:1. Also don't play minis so that knocks out a bunch.

Draxal

Just too many boardgaming kickstarters in general, I ended up doing the Soda Pop one for SDE, because I actually appreciate their philosophy of no kickstarter exclusives.

Experien

I never heard of Among the Stars before it went out of print so I am contemplating backing it since I have like 3 space games and it seems fun.

I never heard of Among the Stars before it went out of print so I am contemplating backing it since I have like 3 space games and it seems fun.
It's a really fun game. It's basically 7 Wonders with the added element of tile laying. Unless you want the stretch goals, you might want to hold off on backing it. They are getting US distribution through Stronghold and you should be able to preorder it through them for less than what they are charging for the kickstarter.

Experien

It's a really fun game. It's basically 7 Wonders with the added element of tile laying. Unless you want the stretch goals, you might want to hold off on backing it. They are getting US distribution through Stronghold and you should be able to preorder it through them for less than what they are charging for the kickstarter.

Wow, thanks for that! Why are they even doing a Kickstarter?

Musan

Have anyone tried the new Race for the galaxy expansion, Alien Artifacts? I was thinking of buying it and put it into my second copy of RotG.

zulux21

Have anyone tried the new Race for the galaxy expansion, Alien Artifacts? I was thinking of buying it and put it into my second copy of RotG.

I wish I could say I have... but alas while I bought it the week it came out I still haven't...
the new rules are intimidating to learn lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wish I could say I have... but alas while I bought it the week it came out I still haven't...
the new rules are intimidating to learn lol.

You should play without the new stuff (just use the cards). :) Heard it's actually pretty solid without it.

zulux21

You should play without the new stuff (just use the cards). :) Heard it's actually pretty solid without it.
i've been meaning to... the main issue is I introduced race to my gaming group... and one of the guys loved it, bought it and all of the expansions, and then forced his GF (part of our gaming group) to play it with him until she grew to really dislike the game... so I have had to let it sit for a while so it isn't as bad for her :p

i've also had to let the resistance sit for a while because she was always the spy... we played 25 or so games of resistance of those there was only 2 times she wasn't the spy lol.

The gameplay videos are just terrible. So confusing as to what he's doing with no indication of why he's making certain moves, etc. The game comes off as really complex to me.

I'd love to back it, but that project is going to see an absurd amount of production delays with so many rewards. I just get a bad feeling about the KS, itself.

I may bite from a retail standpoint. The game certainly looks like a lot of fun, thematically.

Megacon has done no wrong so far with their past products and Myth went well for them. Mercs is a solid game too for mini gamers. Much of the recon KS stretch goals includes minis they already produced long ago for the Mercs game, they are simply tossing them in as bonus rewards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Among the Stars looks interesting -- definitely my style of game but will probably wait for it to come up on CSI. Stretch goals are always funny but these are hilarious -- half of them "unlock" the ability to buy add-ons.

Neverfade

I'm super excited for Among the Stars but that kickstarter is ridiculously expensive and none of the items are exclusive, so again, I'll pick them up at retail for halfish the price later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm super excited for Among the Stars but that kickstarter is ridiculously expensive and none of the items are exclusive, so again, I'll pick them up at retail for halfish the price later.

Will the random add-on things be available for sale later as well? Some of them look alright. But yeah $100 + whatever add-ons you want creates a hilarious price tag that's probably $100 higher than what it should be.

Neverfade

Will the random add-on things be available for sale later as well? Some of them look alright. But yeah $100 + whatever add-ons you want creates a hilarious price tag that's probably $100 higher than what it should be.

I'm basing this off what one of the dudes running the kickstarter said. I'll try to find the post.

Edit: Here's the info from this thread, by the designer:

We encourage Northern Americans to support Stronghold's release of AtS since this will ensure that the game, its current expansions and any future expansions will quickly become widely available in the US and Canada.

Artipia's and Stronghold's versions will be identical. All KS material will be later on offered as a boxed expansion from both companies. There are no exclusives.

Keasar

For me as a Swede, the Among the Stars Kickstarter is as cheap as it is gonna get. The EU one for a base copy is 55 USD, which is 363 Swedish Kronor. Here in Sweden, a retail copy of it costs 468 SEK or roughly 70 USD, at its cheapest.

I am thinking about backing it next month towards the end of the campaign, is Among the Stars good? Cause it sounds good. I like the art and it looks like a sci-fi Suburbia, which is another game I have my eyes on.

Phthisis

Quite the opposite, IMO. The Orb game is the definitive way to play Race. If you just play with just the new cards, you'll find the game very much becomes who can get the most alien cards on their tableau will win.

The Orb game adds an entirely new layer to the game that makes it way more meaty.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Quite the opposite, IMO. The Orb game is the definitive way to play Race. If you just play with just the new cards, you'll find the game very much becomes who can get the most alien cards on their tableau will win.

The Orb game adds an entirely new layer to the game that makes it way more meaty.

Every review I've read says the Orb doesn't integrate very well at all and is just an uninteresting distraction. I guess I should actually play it myself if I care this much...but tbh even though RFTG was one of my first boardgame loves I've been over it for a few years now.

Phthisis

Every review I've read says the Orb doesn't integrate very well at all and is just an uninteresting distraction. I guess I should actually play it myself if I care this much...but tbh even though RFTG was one of my first boardgame loves I've been over it for a few years now.

In my experience, most of those reviews are bullshit. I really like it.

Mista Koo

Last night plays:

• Lords of Vegas: Fun game. Would've won had I anticipated the end of the game (tied, lost due to money).
  • Takenoko: 3rd playthrough, 3rd time losing despite being so freaking close!
  • The Resistance: Found the promo cards and printed them, which meant first time playing with Percival and Morgana. I was Percival, we won because Merlin accidentally flipped his card and I was the only one who caught it lol (what would you've done if you were in my place?).
  • Bang: I officially hate this game. I was the first one killed simply because I was Santa Claus Claus the Saint which delayed the game's progress. King of Tokyo is a much better game (didn't help that we wanted to play Betrayal but there were six of us).
Also two people told me that they loved the board game I made and one of them asked me to bring it to our game night :D

EYEL1NER

Well fuck me. Someone just got a great deal on a copy of Eclipse. There was one available from Amazon Warehouse Deals, a dinger with damaged packaging and slight cosmetic damage to the side of the box. $37.60. I had it in my cart for a couple minutes and was dicking around, trying to see if there were other games I wanted to order, and someone else bought it.

Damn I'm stupid...

I didn't bite on the Sentinel Tactics Kickstarter either, mostly because I have decided to stay away from miniature games that usually just cost tons, so I backed the Catacombs Kickstarter instead. Been wanting a dexterity game for a while and Catacombs sounded like a lot of fun from the impressions of the first print, flicking discs at stuff and constantly wailing as they roll over the table edge.

Thanks for this, I got the original ugly version. Might upgrade.

EDIT: didn't notice it was already over :(

EYEL1NER

Is Dominion for $23.XX with damaged packaging a good deal? I just ordered one but then realized that I have always wanted the Big Box and that buying everything piecemeal would still run me more than the Box, even with a cheaper base game right now.

Thinking I will cancel the order, that I can wait for a deal on the Box. Is that the right move?

Is Dominion for $23.XX with damaged packaging a good deal? I just ordered one but then realized that I have always wanted the Big Box and that buying everything piecemeal would still run me more than the Box, even with a cheaper base game right now.

Thinking I will cancel the order, that I can wait for a deal on the Box. Is that the right move?

Not bad for the base set. I ended up selling my copy a few years ago. Played it with my son, and one day it hit us that there was no interaction between us; just taking turns playing our hand. He was 11 at the time.

Level 7 Omega Protocol is a fairly good sci fi dungeon like crawler. Reminds me of Descent with a bit of space hulk. Plays pretty quick. Only crappy part is typical shitty rulebook that Privateer Press does in their board games. They make great mini game with quality rules, but their board games and such seem to be all such hot messes.

Played a homemade One Night Ultimate Werewolf the other night. Took perhaps too much time out of my day to make it as visually appealing as I could but also as fair as possible. The first few rounds were kinda hit and miss but once the big changing roles came into play it was a lot of fun. I think the biggest problem we had was the Werewolves never really tried to lie about being any of the other roles so it was always just the rest of us believing what roles we claimed to be. FLooking forward to playing it again. A 5-minute timer on the 6 player game caught us by surprise which made for a hilariously rushed voting round.

EYEL1NER

Not bad for the base set. I ended up selling my copy a few years ago. Played it with my son, and one day it hit us that there was no interaction between us; just taking turns playing our hand. He was 11 at the time.
I think even if I were to not care for it, I would still want it in my collection because of its status as one of the 'big' games. I feel the same about 7 Wonders I guess. Didn't care for it when I learned it but I will own it eventually, just so I can have it on my shelves.

Big games day today. Played Rampage, Keyflower, K2, Netrunner, and Troyes.

Rampage was goofy fun. I did terribly at it but I had a good time playing.

Keyflower is solid. Very interesting auction mechanic, your currency are meeples. There are four different colors and once a tile gets bid on it sets the color that can bid on it as well as the color of the meeple that can use the action. Really clever and simple to play.

K2 is a great race game that is very unforgiving. You are climbing up K2 and not only do you have to manage your speed but you have to watch out for the weather. You gain points for how high you can make it, but only if your climber survives. The only downside is turn order and luck can screw you but it's short enough that it really doesn't matter.

Netrunner and Troyes are, well, Netrunner and Troyes. Both great games. Netrunner is already a favorite and Troyes is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Too bad ZMan can't get their shit together and reprint The Ladies of Troyes expansion. I might have to import it.

EYEL1NER

K2 is a great race game that is very unforgiving. You are climbing up K2 and not only do you have to manage your speed but you have to watch out for the weather. You gain points for how high you can make it, but only if your climber survives. The only downside is turn order and luck can screw you but it's short enough that it really doesn't matter.
Hmmm, sounds pretty cool. I know I have seen some praise for the game but I have never looked into it. There was a copy of it on the 60 or 70% off wall at Miniature Market when I went and I thought I should have blind-bought it. Maybe if it is still there when I pass back through on my way home...

octobot

Played some more Myth yesterday with my step-son. It went a lot better thanks to all the supplemental material Megacon games has put out (updated rules, walk throughs, FAQs, and a pair of videos). For the most part things went well with few stoppages (mostly my fault for not being familiar with a few rules). We tried some of the free-form questing running the acolyte and apprentice (which on retrospect was not the best hero paring and ended up causing us some trouble later in the game). We ended up playing through one and a half tiles before calling it a night (2-3 hours or so including the time it took to teach him the rules/concepts at the start). We both had a blast am I am really looking forward to playing more and trying some of the larger quests. I also feel justified in backing Mercs:Recon at the Myth level for more heroes etc and will definitely be going in on future Myth kickstarters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maybe you guys can help me with this. I'm trying to track down a game that I saw being premiered at GenCon probably...three years ago. It was like a four player combat arena set in a castle, and the board had these plastic pieces representing ramparts and stuff to give high ground advantage and I remember being really interested in it. The players were like these four primary colored warrior tokens or something.

Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

EDIT: I can't believe "Plastic castle combat board game" found it for me in Google, its called Chaostle

Dreavus

I might be getting tired of Avalon. Seems like we bust it out almost every gathering now. I'm starting to find the game somewhat mentally exhausting when you're playing as a role that requires some subtlety (Minion of Mordred or Merlin). It doesn't help that most of our games approach the 1.5 - 2 hour mark, so you have to keep it up for the whole time.

This last time we played, I legitimately felt a little bad about the misleading we had to do (as minions, of course), which is generally the fun/interesting part of the game. That might be a signal to take a break for a while. :(

joelseph

What's up old friends

ncpPP05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom