• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Came in here a little while back and asked for feedback regarding smartphone integration for board games. Thanks again for the responses, there were a few I didn't see until a little later.

Went to the local shop and grabbed Mansions of Madness at a huge discount. Love the production values and it looks a little intimidating but I'm determined to learn it. Looking at the contents I thought that it shared a lot of ideas with what I had planned, but I came to the conclusion that it's really superficial stuff. So no concerns about overlapping gameplay.

I'm also expecting two Formula D expansions to arrive today from Amazon. I may have to go that same route for Zombicide but before I do I wanted impressions from people who own the game. How different is it from Last Night on Earth?

Chorazin

I may have to go that same route for Zombicide but before I do I wanted impressions from people who own the game. How different is it from Last Night on Earth?

They're pretty much night and day, to use video game terms: Zombicide is a topdown arcade shooter, Last Night on Earth is a graphic adventure game.

Played Troyes, Russian Railroads, and Sentinels last night. Troyes is great. Our game ended in a tie, which kind of blows but the mechanics are solid and I had fun with it.

Russian Railroads is ...OK, I guess. It moved quickly, which is nice, and there are multiple paths for victory but something seemed off. I can't really say why the game didn't blow me away or left me with the warm and fuzzies other than it just didn't. Scoring for the game was nuts. Without really having a solid strategy I was able to get well over 200 points. The winner had well over 400 so I was nowhere near the lead. That seems insane to me.

Sentinels is always fun. I played a Setback for the first time and had a blast with him. We played against Apostate and kicked his ass.

I picked up Zombies!!! 12, Smash Up, and Survive from a little shop in Schaumburg, IL that was having a nice sale. I got all 3 for 1/2 off retail.

I was really tempted to pick up all of the Last Night on Earth expansions for the sake of completion at that price, but instead opted for new, faster games for my family to play together.
Then why'd you pick up Zombies!!! or Smash Up?

Chorazin

That tells me a lot about the game. Now I really have to hunt it down.

I have Season 2: Prison Outbreak, but it didn't go over well with most of my gaming group, they thought the ranged combat rules were "stupid" and the Berzerk zombies "dumb." Instead of just sucking it up and working with the rule they mostly just bitched about them.

Read the rules for yourself on their website and figure out if your group will be able to deal with them.

You guys all my board games are packed for my move except for 3. Suburbia/Innovation because I anticipate playing both of them before moving, and Dominion because I don't want the custom box with all the expansions nicely sorted to end up getting screwed up so I have to resort them all (same reason none of my Magic collection is actually packed, moving that myself). The point is, I will be posting in this thread sometime before those boxes get unpacked about how I wanted to play ____________ but then it was packed.

Aww yisss, Troyes is good indeed. You should check out Tournay, as well.
I was waffling between the two. I ended up going with Troyes, because I've wanted to own it for longer. Tournay is definitely on my radar though.

Am I missing something? Each one of these take less than an hour to play.
It's more of a joke than being really serious but both games can drag. Zombies!!! is known for taking a really long time if people get super competitive and you get a bum stack of tiles. Smash Up can get weird if you have a deck that makes you search for things constantly. I've seen a number of games of Smash Up take a lot longer than what's stated on the box.

EYEL1NER

Currently in the middle of a road trip from Columbia-area, SC to Kansas City and I am really debating stopping in at Miniature Market in St Louis. There are a couple things I saw online that I would like to buy and I would like to browse. What is giving me pause is that my wife and daughter will not have anything to do while I am browsing and it means I will have to get off the highway and drive into the city, which will add quite a bit of time to my trip.
I'll have to figure it out when we leave the hotel in the morning, but I really want to get some things (Blood Bowl Team Manager, King of Tokyo, some Rampage Meeple stickers, and some deck boxes).

Mista Koo

Bought For Sale, Zombie Dice and Get Bit.
I wanted to buy Skull and Roses but it's unnecessarily expensive, will stick with playing cards version. I did try playing Get Bit with Hanabi cards and dice before I bought it, worked pretty well.

Also played Black Gold last night, solid and fun game despite having a boring premise. The pieces are also very satisfying.

EDIT: This is far-fetched, but does any of you know a game that was mentioned on SU&SD about anonymously answering embarrassing(?) questions using other players as answers? I need it for research purposes.

EYEL1NER

Okay, so stopping at Miniature Market was definitely worth it. Got a set of Rampage Meeple stickers, a deck box, and Blood Bowl Team Manager off the site, a slightly dented copy of Bora Bora for $25, some mermaid game for half of of like $25 or $28 or something (Mermaid Rain is the name I think), and then the ultimate score: Twilight Imperium, Third Edition, slight dent on box and small rip on plastic wrap...$45.
What?! Using think I will ever get anyone to play it with me, but I could not pass that up.

I will probably stop on my way back to SC too, because I want to see what dented-boxed stuff they are letting people pretty much steal then. I have a feeling I will regret not gettin the Fantasy Flight Conan game and the Level 7 game (not Omega Protocol) that they had.

Apenheul

Played Sid Meier's Civilization for the first time yesterday, the tech-tree was overwhelming and it was much easier to find the optimal path for the Egyptians than for the Chinese, but I had a pretty good time learning the game. I'm really looking forward to playing this game with four players, but I expect sesions to take really long then.

Neverfade

Played Sid Meier's Civilization for the first time yesterday, the tech-tree was overwhelming and it was much easier to find the optimal path for the Egyptians than for the Chinese, but I had a pretty good time learning the game. I'm really looking forward to playing this game with four players, but I expect sesions to take really long then.

We usually knock 4's out in 3.5-4 hours.

Then again I don't know how that lines up with your time barometer... I've heard people on here bitch about GoT taking 4-6 hours and it never goes over 3 for us.

Then again I don't know how that lines up with your time barometer... I've heard people on here bitch about GoT taking 4-6 hours and it never goes over 3 for us.

The important thing with playing Civ the board game is getting players familiar with Civ. It flows much smoother when you talk about the win conditions, research, expanding, etc.

And, at most, you can only have one AP player. If you have anymore than that, put one of them in front of a PC playing Civ V while the rest of you play the board game. =)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I feel like this is true for all longish games. If you really know what you're doing and (most importantly by far) have no tolerance for analysis paralysis, you can seriously knock out Eclipse, Arkham Horror, etc. in under 3 hours. It's just when there are so many turns in a game, everyone taking an extra minute or two each turn adds up hugely and gets you to those 6-hour+ playtimes (of which I'm guilty in GoT for example, but not Arkham or Eclipse which I can blitz through).

The nice thing about Civ is that most actions are done simultaneous. Battles are where our games slow down, but that's because the battle system is slow as hell. Our four player games never go loner than 3.5 hours but we usually hit the 3 hour mark more times than not.
I've heard people on here bitch about GoT taking 4-6 hours and it never goes over 3 for us.
I don't understand hour people take longer than 3 hours to play Thrones. Are people just getting bogged down in negotiation? Like with Civ most actions are done simultaneously and the battle system is a lot faster than Civ's.

EDIT: Just to add an AP horror story. I was in a game of Cargo Noir and it took over three hours to play. Three fucking hours of Cargo Noir. The game isn't that great to begin with and to be stuck playing it for 3+ hours, it was a nightmare.

Karkador

Banned
Honestly, I feel bad hurrying the APers along, because I don't want to diminish their enjoyment of the game. It really sucks when people over analyze a decision that is supposed to be quick, though.

blurrygil

So my wife and I are going to grab an Emissary from Geek Chic for our new house.

I've been wanting one of their tables for years, but we pretty much couldn't fit one in our current place. Super pumped!

If I didn't have an arcade room, this is what would go in there instead. Until I get a bigger place, or realistically, a house; I can't really get a GeekChic piece.

But dude, super excited for ya! Need to come over and check it out when it comes in. REMEMBER ME, DAMMIT!!! ;)

They're pretty much night and day, to use video game terms: Zombicide is a topdown arcade shooter, Last Night on Earth is a graphic adventure game.

Indeed.

Personally: I gave up LNOE and all of the expansions for Zombicide. My group and I personally love the game and prefer the fast-paced action. The fact that hoardes of infected come at you from all angles and you need to manage them by navigating around the may in the best way possible is how I prefer the theme to play out.

LNOE was just too slow and unexciting for us. It's a much more paced game. The Event Cards do add for some fun and interesting twists, however.

But for a movie-like comparison, think Night of the Living Dead vs. 28 Days/Zombieland. :)

I have Season 2: Prison Outbreak, but it didn't go over well with most of my gaming group, they thought the ranged combat rules were "stupid" and the Berzerk zombies "dumb." Instead of just sucking it up and working with the rule they mostly just bitched about them.

Read the rules for yourself on their website and figure out if your group will be able to deal with them.

I can see how this can come across. We've house-ruled a few things. But mostly, we just limit the number of Berzerkers spawn cards in the deck.

As for the ranged targeting priorities: We started off the same way as your group. However, I started picking up more of the Survivors (promos, Survivor Packs, etc) and realized the Steady Hand ability comes into play more often. Thematically, we now totally understand if Wanda (blonde-haired youngster food server on roller skates) would end up accidentally shooting another Survivor in a crowd of infected vs. Rick (trained stuntman ala. Jason Statham), who would make sense in being trained with a rifle. Now we've since added this basic ability to others, such as Phil from the core set, who's a sheriff's deputy; as it helps make a little more thematic sense.

Okay, so stopping at Miniature Market was definitely worth it. Got a set of Rampage Meeple stickers, a deck box, and Blood Bowl Team Manager off the site, a slightly dented copy of Bora Bora for $25, some mermaid game for half of of like $25 or $28 or something (Mermaid Rain is the name I think), and then the ultimate score: Twilight Imperium, Third Edition, slight dent on box and small rip on plastic wrap...$45.

I will probably stop on my way back to SC too, because I want to see what dented-boxed stuff they are letting people pretty much steal then. I have a feeling I will regret not gettin the Fantasy Flight Conan game and the Level 7 game (not Omega Protocol) that they had.

No. You're fine. No regrets, my friend. ;-)

Nice pickups, otherwise!

This is why I'm looking forward to getting Clash of Cultures. I hear they have a much more balanced tech tree.

blurrygil

Honestly, I feel bad hurrying the APers along, because I don't want to diminish their enjoyment of the game. It really sucks when people over analyze a decision that is supposed to be quick, though.

That's what a player's downtime is for. Get off your phone and focus on the game. (This is the usual culprit of my sessions)

This is also why we declare a time limit restriction after X number of rounds into the game. We've got multiple sand timers and will use them if they take longer than a semi-optimal amount of time.

eg. After 3 full rounds of Zombicide with a newbie, we'll announce that if you stall in any way (for strategy, bs'ing, whatever) on your actions being taken, a clock will be called for 1 or 2 mins. So we'll have the appropriate length timer on the table to flip when this happens.

Act or die, dammit.

Played Sid Meier's Civilization for the first time yesterday, the tech-tree was overwhelming and it was much easier to find the optimal path for the Egyptians than for the Chinese, but I had a pretty good time learning the game.

This is why I'm looking forward to getting Clash of Cultures. I hear they have a much more balanced tech tree.

Nah, it's not that bad. When you step back and look, a lot of the techs boil down to military-focused (r/g/b, squad size), governments, economic, or rule bending. I don't want to make it seem that simple, but a lot of them fall under a specific focus. Like most euros, the problem is choosing amongst all of those choices.

Apenheul

4 hours would be fine, a Battlestar Galactica game with all expensions or Arkham Horror with Dunwich tends to take about 4 hours in my group.

Nah, it's not that bad. When you step back and look, a lot of the techs boil down to military-focused (r/g/b, squad size), governments, economic, or rule bending. I don't want to make it seem that simple, but a lot of them fall under a specific focus. Like most euros, the problem is choosing amongst all of those choices.
That's probably a good way to look at it. Maybe I'll get the chance to play it again this week.

Came in here a little while back and asked for feedback regarding smartphone integration for board games. Thanks again for the responses, there were a few I didn't see until a little later.

Went to the local shop and grabbed Mansions of Madness at a huge discount. Love the production values and it looks a little intimidating but I'm determined to learn it. Looking at the contents I thought that it shared a lot of ideas with what I had planned, but I came to the conclusion that it's really superficial stuff. So no concerns about overlapping gameplay.

I'm also expecting two Formula D expansions to arrive today from Amazon. I may have to go that same route for Zombicide but before I do I wanted impressions from people who own the game. How different is it from Last Night on Earth?

If you get Zombicide, just stick to the 1st set, as it's the most solid. Frankly the rest of it is a mess design wise and you have to essentially house rule a lot of the game for best enjoyment. The core original set was solid and felt like most balanced, while them adding to the game with expansions has been really mixed.

LNOE is extremely different, a bit more adventure like game with more thematic scenarios, while Zombicide is essentially Left4Dead the board game.

blurrygil

You guys all my board games are packed for my move except for 3. Suburbia/Innovation because I anticipate playing both of them before moving, and Dominion because I don't want the custom box with all the expansions nicely sorted to end up getting screwed up so I have to resort them all (same reason none of my Magic collection is actually packed, moving that myself). The point is, I will be posting in this thread sometime before those boxes get unpacked about how I wanted to play ____________ but then it was packed.

Where again was it you were moving to?

Experien

People asked for this? The appeal of Love Letter is it's easy and can be played quickly. Stretch that game longer than 20 minutes and I'm out.

Sorry, my experiences with Love Letter has always been like 5 minutes long and that's why I said longer. But this isn't much longer, they say 20-30 minute game. Each card is numbered and the highest two gets a dragon egg (good or bad eggs), but each card also has an ability (like 3 always beats 8 or someone doesn't take an bad egg).

Seems like it could be a good palette cleanser or bar game.

blurrygil

2 Blocks from Hale's Ales, about equidistant from downtown Fremont and downtown Ballard. I'll probably be at Card Kingdom more frequently now

Outstanding! Is your move happening this weekend? If not, I'm having a bday tabletop session there on Saturday and you're welcome to join us.

Outstanding! Is your move happening this weekend? If not, I'm having a bday tabletop session there on Saturday and you're welcome to join us.

Yeah, I'm pretty much out of comission the next 2 or 3 weekends as I get my old place ready to sell and the new one ready to live in. Appreciate the invite though!

Karkador

Banned
Wait, Lost Legacy is out?

It's coming out in a few months, I think (AEG re-designed D: ), I've had the Japanese version (with English text) for a few months now.

It adds just enough extra stuff to the core Love Letter formula to make it a little more interesting, plus there are a variety of decks (still 16 cards each) to prolong the life of the game.

Neverfade

It's coming out in a few months, I think (AEG re-designed D: ), I've had the Japanese version (with English text) for a few months now.

It adds just enough extra stuff to the core Love Letter formula to make it a little more interesting, plus there are a variety of decks (still 16 cards each) to prolong the life of the game.

Sounds right up my alley then.

Edit: PS: Is there a place where I can order the Japanese/English version now?

Edit 2: Looks sold out everwhere.

I played Suburbia the other night and ended up with "Miscreant" as my secret goal (lowest reputation). Talk about completely changing my playstyle. Unfortunately, my wife's secret goal was most contiguous government buildings, and we got pretty flooded with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom