• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain sleeves work better for shuffling than others. Some make it harder, but some actually make it easier to shuffle IMO. So many different sleeve manufacturers out there.

Don't know if anyone here actually played, but WOTC just pulled the plug on Heroscape today. I have to wonder how long Axis and Allies has left, it seems that WOTC keeps cutting away at everything they do as they just concentrate on Dungeons & Dragons, and Magic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Don't know if anyone here actually played, but WOTC just pulled the plug on Heroscape today. I have to wonder how long Axis and Allies has left, it seems that WOTC keeps cutting away at everything they do as they just concentrate on Dungeons & Dragons, and Magic.
I'm still kind of shocked they even re-released roborally. I remember years back when I asked if they'd release any of the expansions they just flatly said 'no' :lol

New version of Battlecry this month too and such. Surprised they are bothering with board games at all since they tend to have short print runs. They give generally shit support to everything that isn't DnD or Magic.

Neverfade

BattleMonkey said:
They give generally shit support to everything that isn't DnD or Magic.

My warped tiles in Betrayal at House on the Hill confirm this.

Their answer is "put something heavy on them, that might work".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Neverfade said:
My warped tiles in Betrayal at House on the Hill confirm this.

Their answer is "put something heavy on them, that might work".
:lol wow awesome customer service when 90% of board-game companies would have sent you out two new sets + twizzlers

may get battlecry though; forgot about that

Star Wars miniatures was the number 1 and 2 selling CMG for a long time, and WOTC was like... fuck supporting that game with organized play, prize, and store support. Let the players do it all. We got 3 DnD books to publish a month here!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man, Heroscape being ended is going to be a big blow to a lot of people who loved it.

It's one thing to lose a license, but to pull a pretty succesfull product line is strange.

In any case, CSI has their fall blowout sale. The phrase "BigBlowout" at checkout nets you 5% off your order.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I am curious, though I find my personal taste is very different from Tom's most of the time.
Yeah he's got a crazy weakness for fantasy stuff (Summoner Wars GOTY lol), but beyond that I think he's got great taste in eurogames. Eric just has off-the-wall tastes. Seems to like really obscure euros and just obscure games generally, and hates conflict. Make a good pair though I rarely agree with Eric.

Speaking of Ameritrash . . . this is going to be a Monsterpocalypse Learning Weekend. Other than that probably learn some Prolix (supposedly good word game) and play some time-worn favorites like RFTG and Dominion (+Prosperity!).

StoOgE

This weekend I am going to play Heroquest before getting rid of it (hopefully) at BGG-Con.

I'm also picking up Blue Moon from a guy tonight. I bought it from him for BGG-Con delivery but he isn't going now. Luckily he is from Austin so I can just grab it from him.

Chorazin

StoOgE said:
This weekend I am going to play Heroquest before getting rid of it (hopefully) at BGG-Con.

I'm also picking up Blue Moon from a guy tonight. I bought it from him for BGG-Con delivery but he isn't going now. Luckily he is from Austin so I can just grab it from him.

I actually just ordered a Heroscape Master Set today, I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. If it's good, it'll be a great time to snap up stuff from people dumping. :)

StoOgE

Chorazin said:
I actually just ordered a Heroscape Master Set today, I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. If it's good, it'll be a great time to snap up stuff from people dumping. :)

The one I own is Heroquest, not Heroscape.

Heroquest is an older game (circa 1990).

Heroscape never appealed to me simply because everything looks kind of goofy. It might be a fun game, but mixing army men with monsters and civil war soldiers sounds more like something I would have done when I was 8.

Ferrio

Banned
Well not really a board game, but I have to mention a friend picked up the new Gamma World roleplay game. We're going to try it out tonight, my character is a swarm of bats that forms together to make a humanoid shape (think powerrangers/voltron). Should be interesting.

Neverfade

Chorazin said:

Hey, I have a bunch of stuff I'm looking to unload at a reasonable price, so let me know if you enjoy it. I just don't play it anymore and its taking up space.

Big thank you to joeyjoejoeshabadoo for sending along Galaxy Trucker once we were able to get our trade worked out...and for being patient with me in the interim. :D Seemed worth noting a proven trader...

echoshifting said:
Big thank you to joeyjoejoeshabadoo for sending along Galaxy Trucker once we were able to get our trade worked out...and for being patient with me in the interim. :D Seemed worth noting a proven trader...
Yeah, no problem. I'm surprised the package got their already. Go USPS! I'm still waiting on your package but I'm glad you got the game. Hope you enjoy.

Chorazin

StoOgE said:
The one I own is Heroquest, not Heroscape.

Heroquest is an older game (circa 1990).

Heroscape never appealed to me simply because everything looks kind of goofy. It might be a fun game, but mixing army men with monsters and civil war soldiers sounds more like something I would have done when I was 8.
Hah, teach me to read a post too quickly. I know all about HeroQuest, it's the game that got me into D&D and more complex boardgames when I was in high school!

Neverfade said:
Hey, I have a bunch of stuff I'm looking to unload at a reasonable price, so let me know if you enjoy it. I just don't play it anymore and its taking up space.

Sure man, I'll let you know. :)

Xater

In my family 7 Wonders kinda took over Dominion. The game is just so quick that it is easy to get a few games in. That game is worth every penny.

StoOgE

So, my Saturday morning thrifting is over.

Picked up a copy of Quatro for 2 dollars. Now I have two of them, though I'm trying to trade one away. It's a top 400 game on BGG.. so not too shabby.

Picked up Cranium Booster Pack 1 for a dollar. Cards are all still sealed. Bought this one just to sell it since the going rate seems to be about 20-25 dollars since it's been OOP for nearly 10 years.

Big find for the day was Black Sheep. It's not very highly rated but it is from Knizia who is my favorite filler game designer. He is excellent at making games that are easy to explain with some depth. I wonder how the hell an offbeat FFG wound up at Savers. I get how Star Wars, Big Boggle and Heroquest got there even though they are worth money. They are OOP games that were once mass marketed. How a designer game that is relatively new gets donated I don't get.

Sweet, new comic/games/anime shop opened near us, the store itself is pretty meh so far but found a new sealed copy of War of the Ring! Old retail priced as well, so happy about that. Probably never go back to that shop though :lol

StoOgE

So, I think I'm going to start putting together the "What do you want to play/what can you teach" thing together for BGG-Con.

Any thoughts for other categories we should try and match up?

Maybe number of players coming with you?
Games you will be or can bring (obviously probably going to be limited to those of us driving up)?

Thought I might put it in its own thread to keep this one from being shitted up completely.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
So, I think I'm going to start putting together the "What do you want to play/what can you teach" thing together for BGG-Con.

Any thoughts for other categories we should try and match up?

Maybe number of players coming with you?
Games you will be or can bring (obviously probably going to be limited to those of us driving up)?

Thought I might put it in its own thread to keep this one from being shitted up completely.
yeah you could make a bgg.con thread that might be cool

-4 coming with me, though number playing at any time will vary from 2-4
-haven't yet figured out what/if i'm bringing anything. may rely on the library

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Yeah, no problem. I'm surprised the package got their already. Go USPS! I'm still waiting on your package but I'm glad you got the game. Hope you enjoy.

I used UPS so sadly no chance for a weekend delivery :( If it isn't there Monday shoot me a PM and I'll hunt down the tracking number.

Very excited to play this (Galaxy Trucker)...do you recommend sorting out the base game and learning that first? How tough is it to learn...more towards Dominion or more towards...well. The game I sent YOU (War of the Ring). ;p

Ferrio said:
Well not really a board game, but I have to mention a friend picked up the new Gamma World roleplay game. We're going to try it out tonight, my character is a swarm of bats that forms together to make a humanoid shape (think powerrangers/voltron). Should be interesting.

Yeah, my group is running this after we finish up my "Kill Lolth" delve. It looks absurdly fun. A shame the boosters are unreasonably pricey as those would be fun to screw around with. As it is, the system should be easy to replace if one were to ever get bored of the base deck.

MichaelBD

So my wife is on the phone with her sister today and I hear my name mentioned a few times.

She hangs up and tells me that my niece has a game that she wants to bring to our house so we can all play. It's called "Amtrak" or something like that.

I start shooting off game names from a search on "AM" on BGG and nothing rings a bell.

Later as I'm getting ready to go the gym my wife says to me, "the name of the game is Arkham Horror."

Keep in mind the most complex game I've gotten my family to play is Battlestar Galactica and that was once. ONCE. If I can get them to play anything (and I've stopped trying because I generally can't) it's simple stuff like San Juan, Ticket to Ride, and maybe Stone Age.

I laughed and said, "I have no doubt you'd hate it. Arkham Horror is a game I've considered buying because it sounds cool, but it's long, has lots of bookkeeping and a pretty steep learning curve. Factor in we have no idea how well she'll be able to teach it to us and I see a recipe for frustration. MAYBE if I had time to read the rules I could help but that ain't happening before tonight. Lots of people love it, but you have to get over the learning curve first. It's supposedly 3 hours to play if you know what you are doing. I'd count on more than 5 easily."

I could tell by the look on her face she didn't want to play.

The end result is we're not playing Arkham Horror. I really do want to try it but I really believe it would be a painful experience without serious buy-in from all the players.

The nice thing about Arkham Horror is that it is actually designed to be soloed. You can even simulate any number of players with one person without altering the rules at all...so it's quite easy to learn before you teach. In fact most recommend that you do this. And it's reasonably fun to play by yourself (not as fun as a group, but more fun than most supposed "solo friendly" games), so if your wife hates it you aren't out $30-$50.

FWIW, I would not consider Arkham Horror to be a much more complicated (or longer) game than Battlestar Galactica.

Never found the game to be any fun solo :lol

Course I don't like the idea of playing board games solo either way, the social aspect is a big part of gaming for me.

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:

Course I don't like the idea of playing board games solo either way, the social aspect is a big part of gaming for me.

I like playing Le Havre solo. It works pretty well and lets you really figure out how to mini-max different strategies well without having to deal with other players monkeying with you. Makes you better when you play the real deal.

echoshifting said:
I used UPS so sadly no chance for a weekend delivery :( If it isn't there Monday shoot me a PM and I'll hunt down the tracking number.

Very excited to play this (Galaxy Trucker)...do you recommend sorting out the base game and learning that first? How tough is it to learn...more towards Dominion or more towards...well. The game I sent YOU (War of the Ring). ;p

Yeah, my group is running this after we finish up my "Kill Lolth" delve. It looks absurdly fun. A shame the boosters are unreasonably pricey as those would be fun to screw around with. As it is, the system should be easy to replace if one were to ever get bored of the base deck.
We just kept all the pieces from the Expansion mixed in with the base game. The expansion ship pieces work pretty much like the base game pieces so it was just a matter of learning what they do. I did keep the Rough Roads cards out as that just adds another layer of complexity we weren't ready for.

The game itself is not too difficult. Building the ship has a little bit of a learning curve and is the meat of the game. After reading the WotR rules, Galaxy Trucker is definitely not as complicated.

Chorazin

MichaelBD said:
So my wife is on the phone with her sister today and I hear my name mentioned a few times.

She hangs up and tells me that my niece has a game that she wants to bring to our house so we can all play. It's called "Amtrak" or something like that.

I start shooting off game names from a search on "AM" on BGG and nothing rings a bell.

Later as I'm getting ready to go the gym my wife says to me, "the name of the game is Arkham Horror."

Keep in mind the most complex game I've gotten my family to play is Battlestar Galactica and that was once. ONCE. If I can get them to play anything (and I've stopped trying because I generally can't) it's simple stuff like San Juan, Ticket to Ride, and maybe Stone Age.

I laughed and said, "I have no doubt you'd hate it. Arkham Horror is a game I've considered buying because it sounds cool, but it's long, has lots of bookkeeping and a pretty steep learning curve. Factor in we have no idea how well she'll be able to teach it to us and I see a recipe for frustration. MAYBE if I had time to read the rules I could help but that ain't happening before tonight. Lots of people love it, but you have to get over the learning curve first. It's supposedly 3 hours to play if you know what you are doing. I'd count on more than 5 easily."

I could tell by the look on her face she didn't want to play.

The end result is we're not playing Arkham Horror. I really do want to try it but I really believe it would be a painful experience without serious buy-in from all the players.
So what your saying is that someone was going to bring you a copy of AH to try, and you shot it down because you "knew" it would be painful?

Not being a dick but you shoulda just gave it a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus the rules are free on the web for you to read before she came over with it.

Eh, I don't really blame him. It's hard to have fun when I know my wife is miserable...which is why I traded off War of the Ring! She was a good sport and tried it a couple of times but we always put games up when it's apparent the other person would much rather be doing something else.

I'm inclined to agree with you insofar as it eases the pain for one's spouse when they have something else to do (socialize), thereby making it easier to actually finish even if she isn't having fun with the game. BUT I don't blame him for his choice, we've all spared our spouses from such things in the past...you just have to make sure she KNOWS about it or you won't get any points...and we're board gamers, you know how we feel about points. :D

edit: Whoops! Double post.

BattleMonkey said:

ehhhh, I only ever play a game solo when I'm dying to play something that I can't find anyone to play with...so it's a good thing I like AH solo! :lol But, I've played Race for the Galaxy solo many times - back when I was heavily addicted - and I'm trying to learn Agricola fluently via its solo game so I can teach it to my wife. I don't find them any more or less interesting than playing a single-player video game...but I've never been a graphics guy either. ;p

MichaelBD

Chorazin said:
So what your saying is that someone was going to bring you a copy of AH to try, and you shot it down because you "knew" it would be painful?

Not being a dick but you shoulda just gave it a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus the rules are free on the web for you to read before she came over with it.
Like I said, I really do want to try it and I've considered adding it to my collection.

I queued up some video reviews for her to watch but she didn't bother. My rationale was good enough. She doesn't get excited about playing games, and I'm confident AH wouldn't change that.

I once tried to teach her to play Race for the Galaxy because I love that game so much. She lasted 15 minutes before giving up and going to bed. Being married for almost 18 years now I have a pretty good handle on what she likes and doesn't like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pic of our brand spankin new boardgame closet (not pictured: a few rarely playeds like battlelore and a touch of evil and integrated expansions like rftg and kingsburg):

unAaT.jpg

StoOgE

That is a really nice setup. I've been thinking of trying to do something similar but my current place is just way too small. If I started renting a small storage space and kicked my Xmas stuff out of my closet I could pull something somewhat similar off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
That is a really nice setup. I've been thinking of trying to do something similar but my current place is just way too small. If I started renting a small storage space and kicked my Xmas stuff out of my closet I could pull something somewhat similar off.
Yeah the thing I love about those little wire shelves is that they are pretty much at the exact maximum I feel comfortable stacking sturdy games so they really make a great use of space.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah played it a decent amount when I first got it. Really strikes a nice balance in terms of complexity is the thing that stood out at me the most. Also pretty for a wargame. I'm going to play it a bunch when my brother comes into town as my wife and friends lean more towards M44 when it comes to wargame (ok ok I know, M44 is not a wargame) complexity.

AstroLad said:
pic of our brand spankin new boardgame closet (not pictured: a few rarely playeds like battlelore and a touch of evil and integrated expansions like rftg and kingsburg):

unAaT.jpg
Where did you get the shelves? I'm thinking I'll need a better storage solution soon. The games are starting to take over the dining room.

StoOgE

I actually think I'm going to cull my collection a bit once I see how the math trade goes down. I have about 10 games I just want to be rid of at this point. I own too many games I just don't ever feel like playing. Mostly stuff I nabbed on sale or on a whim without reading enough about.

AstroLad said:
Yeah played it a decent amount when I first got it. Really strikes a nice balance in terms of complexity is the thing that stood out at me the most. Also pretty for a wargame. I'm going to play it a bunch when my brother comes into town as my wife and friends lean more towards M44 when it comes to wargame (ok ok I know, M44 is not a wargame) complexity.

I like some M44 once in a while, got all the expansions and such, but also enjoy more complicated stuff. Tide of Iron is great but it just is a pain in the ass to play because of all the pieces to set up. Prep and clean up time for that game takes alot of the enjoyment out of it. Conflict of Heroes sounds good, and it doesn't seem to be stupid complex like ASL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom