• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
StoOgE said:
Necromancer island either has the ability to add a cooperative/common enemy dynamic to the game that could take it to the next level (and add a 6th player!).. or could be horribly broken mechanic that collects dust.
Either way it's free and could possibly fetch high prices later on down the road.

This may just be exciting for me but if anybody else was waiting for an Essen release from Funagain here's an update.
Funagain Update
Just checked the tracking this morning and the games have officially landed in the US. Shouldn't be long now until they make it down this way. Hopefully tomorrow.

Now I just hope they have enough copies of 51st State to fulfill my order.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
This may just be exciting for me but if anybody else was waiting for an Essen release from Funagain here's an update.
Funagain Update

Now I just hope they have enough copies of 51st State to fulfill my order.

yeah, I'm hoping they have a nice selection for sale at BGG-Con. There wasn't anything I wanted to pre-order, but I would like to be able to grab some new games while there.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/577797/bgg-con-spiel-2010-haul

Speaking of BGG's Essen haul that will be at BGG-Con is pretty nice.

fenners

StoOgE said:
yeah, I'm hoping they have a nice selection for sale at BGG-Con. There wasn't anything I wanted to pre-order, but I would like to be able to grab some new games while there.

If you read between the lines of the recent funagain posts in the thread at BGG, if the game isn't already listed as a preorder, there's only a /very/ slim chance they got any... And even the ones they did have preorders up for, they didn't necessarily get enough to cover preorders (hi Vinhos, K2) because of production problems ahead of Essen leaving pubs up shit creek.

Hell, they got *zero* copies of Troyes.

I think their selection isn't going to be as great as expected/hoped by their own hype ahead of the show :-/

There'll be plenty of Essen games to play thanks to the library, but maybe not quite as many of the rare/obscure ones to buy. Hopefully Z-Man's got a good set of their November games for sale.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I bailed on my Funagain order. Can't really blame them as their endeavor was super-ambitious and kind of cool, but I just felt like I kind of misunderstood the process and the amount of games they were getting the entire time. I'll definitely check them out at BGG.Con though and maybe pick up a game or two there. Easier and less stressful than this pre-order thing.

Brashnir

StoOgE said:
Monsterpocalypse Battle Box

How does this look to you guys? Looks like I would get two full (random) armies and enough stuff for a 2 player game without the army building mechanics. From what I read on BGG I would still need to buy some additional buildings to keep things from getting too stale.. but does that look like it would make for a pretty decent two player "board" game?

Damn you.

DAMN YOU.

I had stopped coming in this thread because every time I do I end up wanting to spend money. I clicked this time figuring I'd just see what everyone was playing, and you have to hit me with this.

I had been marginally interested in this game, but wanted to see a "complete game" version before jumping in, and then forgot about it completely.

Now I own two copies of it. (One is a birthday present for a gaming buddy)

I will no doubt spend 900 dollars on it over the next couple years now. Thanks a lot, pal. :D

StoOgE

Brashnir said:
Damn you.

DAMN YOU.

I had stopped coming in this thread because every time I do I end up wanting to spend money. I clicked this time figuring I'd just see what everyone was playing, and you have to hit me with this.

I had been marginally interested in this game, but wanted to see a "complete game" version before jumping in, and then forgot about it completely.

Now I own two copies of it. (One is a birthday present for a gaming buddy)

I will no doubt spend 900 dollars on it over the next couple years now. Thanks a lot, pal. :D

Yeah, I spend a lot of money because of this thread. I too has always had an interest in mini games, and Monsterpocalypse in particular but have no interest at all into getting into a collectible game.

There were actually two people playing the game at the board game thing tonight, but they were both super hard core and wouldn't even let me watch them thinking I was going to steal tactics from them. So, fuck those guys. I let one of their girlfriends watch me play 1960 for like 30 minutes too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
There were actually two people playing the game at the board game thing tonight, but they were both super hard core and wouldn't even let me watch them thinking I was going to steal tactics from them.
:lol

Flynn

StoOgE said:
There were actually two people playing the game at the board game thing tonight, but they were both super hard core and wouldn't even let me watch them thinking I was going to steal tactics from them. So, fuck those guys. I let one of their girlfriends watch me play 1960 for like 30 minutes too.

Wow. That is super lame.

That's lame. If it was organized play the organizer is supposed to be offering players demos and instruction for the game. Sounds like some douchebag neckbears, wearing black t-shirts I bet.

Funny that I've pimped that game for so long when Privateer Press denied me from their organized play program because they did a "background" check on me by apparently looking me up online and finding some negative posts I said about another game of theirs once. They did not like that I had a non positive opinion about one of their other games, that had nothing to do with Monsterpocalypse and even on their application it is noted that you don't have to play or know any of their other games.

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:
That's lame. If it was organized play the organizer is supposed to be offering players demos and instruction for the game. Sounds like some douchebag neckbears, wearing black t-shirts I bet

No, it was just a board game thing at a bar. It's the first time I have seen anyone play it there. And yes, I could have just stayed and watched, but they asked me to scram so I did.

Got in Dust Tactics. Very nice all around production values, the mecha themselves come nicely packaged. Back of the manual details 5 already planned expansions. Comes in one of FFG's big boxes like Starcraft, Twilight Imperium, Descent, etc.

Also comes with a copy of the new Dust comic book series from Image comics :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
No, it was just a board game thing at a bar. It's the first time I have seen anyone play it there. And yes, I could have just stayed and watched, but they asked me to scram so I did.
It's such a messed up attitude to have. Wife and I were on a cruise a few months ago and I was stoked when people came up inquiring as to Memoir 44. Wound up playing M44, San Juan, and Dominion with them for several hours over the rest of the cruise. Not to be racist but I think there is a real difference between the baseline attitudes of the eurogamer crowd and the mini/ccg crowd to the extent that I don't think they should be conflated as much as they are. i think part of it does have to do with metagaming and ubercompetitiveness you see in minis/ccg whereas most eurogamers could give a fuck they're just happy to have more people to play with

It's greatly up to the players. Though I've never seen anyone play mini game outside of a gamestore or home.

I've gotten lots of freebies and store incentives over the years because I am like a game sales person when people check out a game I'm playing, and have sold many products to folks in stores. I was even given an employee shirt at one of my favorite shops since I did so much for them :lol

But you do get lot of asses who sit there and just care about nothing but the game in front of them and get pissy to anyone who gets close or asks questions while they are "strategizing"

Neverfade

Xater said:
@ Neverfade have you actually taught someone 51st State? It would be interesting to here how accessible it is.

Yes. It wasn't so bad, but the caveat is the guy I've taught is like one of us. He's a BGGer and a game buyer/rules explainer. Still, I expect anyone who's played RFTG to be able to pick it up with relative ease, despite several wonky rules.

Chorazin

BattleMonkey said:
Got in Dust Tactics. Very nice all around production values, the mecha themselves come nicely packaged. Back of the manual details 5 already planned expansions. Comes in one of FFG's big boxes like Starcraft, Twilight Imperium, Descent, etc.

Also comes with a copy of the new Dust comic book series from Image comics :lol
I'm reeeeeally interested in Dust Tactics. Let us know how it plays!

StoOgE

So, I'm thinking of some Carcassonne mini-expansions.

Has anyone played with the Cult, Siege or King expansions?

I think I want the Cult and Siege for their rules (super competitive stuff, total screwage) and the King just for the tiles and ignore the King and Robber rules.

I also want the "mini" expansion, but it is OOP and costs too much scratch.

dogbert

Flynn said:
Not to change the subject, but raise your hand if you're getting psyched for BGG!

Two weeks!! I've had to miss my regular gaming group for the last two weeks /and/ my other regular gaming buddy is out of rotation because my kids are sick/his were sick. I'm itchin' for some gaming!!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Flynn said:
Not to change the subject, but raise your hand if you're getting psyched for BGG!
Oh hells yes. Man it really snuck up. Super stoked b/c my good friend from Phoenix is coming up and we got two rooms in the Westin so no need to split up. We'll have to think of some GAF gaming ideas. Either a 6+ game like Bohnanza or maybe a tourney of a couple 4P games. Or both! Oh and MonPoc and Gric with stooge. Our friend from NY games a ton with us but my AZ friend is pretty noob so I'll be doing a lot of teaching along the way.

StoOgE

Flynn said:

pretty pumped. Lots of games I'm looking forward too, and I'm going to be picking up about 9 new games + whatever happens in the math trade. So, excited about what I'll be bringing home as well.

My fear is that my gaming group is pretty casual and I dominate 90% of games. So, I'm sure I'm just not that good at a lot of my favorites because I've never really been pushed beyond pretty basic strategies in a lot of stuff.

Thing I'm looking forward to the most? Kolache's in West, TX. Czech Stop > You.

Sucks it's at a Westin though.. 10 dollar a day internet access. :mad:

Flynn

We have six coming including me. So looks like we'll have a pretty merry band of board gamers.

One of my friends has family in town so he promises local food suggestions. The internet is a bummer. I might stick to my Droid for the week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AstroLad said:
It's such a messed up attitude to have. Wife and I were on a cruise a few months ago and I was stoked when people came up inquiring as to Memoir 44. Wound up playing M44, San Juan, and Dominion with them for several hours over the rest of the cruise. Not to be racist but I think there is a real difference between the baseline attitudes of the eurogamer crowd and the mini/ccg crowd to the extent that I don't think they should be conflated as much as they are. i think part of it does have to do with metagaming and ubercompetitiveness you see in minis/ccg whereas most eurogamers could give a fuck they're just happy to have more people to play with

This post owns.

(Personal anecdote: Ran into a German family playing Bohnanza in the Dominican Republic, they seemed very friendly and willing to shoot the shit about it. No elitism at all!)

StoOgE

Flynn said:
We have six coming including me. So looks like we'll have a pretty merry band of board gamers.

One of my friends has family in town so he promises local food suggestions. The internet is a bummer. I might stick to my Droid for the week.

Yeah, I will be driving up and am pretty familiar with the metroplex if people need food suggestions.

The downside is I drive a truck (I do live in Texas after all) so only one person is going anywhere with me to get food.

dogbert

StoOgE said:

I did the Westin last year with my wife, but this year it's just me so I'm being cheap & staying at the Ramada. 4 nights for a little over the price of 2 at the Westin + free breakfast + free internet. Yes, I am a cheapskate - I'm Scottish, so it's genetic.

flynn said:
The internet is a bummer. I might stick to my Droid for the week.

You might have problems with the Droid too at times - cellphone coverage inside the conference hall is shit. Last year, I had to leave the building if I wanted to talk to my wife on my Verizon phone.

eznark

Banned
Need your help:

I'm consulting for a local woman who has designed a product for storage and preservation of board games. She is a mom so her idea was more for moms to save games after kids have wrecked the boxes. However I think there is potential for the adult game collector as well. She has a working prototype and is currently shopping for manufacturers. While I think there may be potential in the bgg communities of the world, I have very limited exposure to the site. I'm not looking to sell her product, just get feedback on it. Is there a place on their boards for something like that? It's genuinely more market research than spam especially since we are not yet in production.

Astro and Stooge (and others) is preservation of your collections something you even give a second thought to?

[this is the first time i've ever mixed work and gaf, I apologize in advance]

Chorazin

StoOgE said:

Ugh, pay by day internet access sucks. Check and see if they have a member's club or reward card you can sign up for, they generally give away free wifi with those things.

Had to deal with that at PAX East, we just did without. At least this year I'll have my iPad 3G with me, I can pay $30 for a month of use, and use it during the 7 hour drive each way. :)

Thing is there is not really a simple product solution that works for all games. If you have a container store or a store like target near you, you can generally find all you need for game storage. Some companies also produce already products used to help organize board games like Chessex trays and such. Generic crafting supplies holders, rubber organizers, etc are widely available.

Also most people who care about their games, keep them in good condition already, which are the ones who would want to possibly buy such a product in the first place.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:
Astro and Stooge (and others) is preservation of your collections something you even give a second thought to?

Yeah for me it's tough to say. I try to keep my games "nice," and I have a gigantic closet for them so I don't have to stack too many of them (a common mistake in my early days of gaming), but beyond that I'm not that anal about preservation for most of my games. I don't sleeve and I don't mind and actually sometimes like just typical wear and tear, like cards being used 50+ times (RFTG). You will find on BGG, however, that there is a huge contingent of people who sleeve every single card they get. A company like Mayfair (who she may want to consider approaching if she comes up with something really good) has made an entire business around card sleeves for eurogames basically. The major puzzle here is that people, even anal people, generally like their boxes and I couldn't really see a big group of people forsaking them except for "holy-grail"-type games that are worth $100+. That would be the most obvious market to me on the eurogamer side, but it's not the hugest group of people. Then you have places like Snakes & Lattes in Toronto, and that new online board-game rental place that just started up. I could see those types of rental-oriented places having a use for a pretty large volume of substitute boxes (I think they just both use originals right now). If you are talking about eurogamers, what seems to go over well is things that improve upon components or storage of components (dice trays, tackleboxes, new meeples, new dice), rather than a brand new shell. The way I could so it becoming popular on BGG would be for it to just be a mass retail product and then somebody goes hey I can store Small World/Dominion/Ticket to Ride in this and it becomes the new thing with the super-OCD crowd. But standardization is an issue as BM referred to.

fenners

Chorazin said:
Ugh, pay by day internet access sucks. Check and see if they have a member's club or reward card you can sign up for, they generally give away free wifi with those things.

If you've got a contract with AT&T for DSL or wireless etc, you can use the wifi at the Westin for free.

StoOgE

eznark said:

It depends. Most hobbyist games are pretty well made, and most hobbyist love their boxes.. Unlike say the stuff MB or Parker Brothers put out which can be pretty flimsy and in better need of protection (somewhat ironic considering kids games are the ones that could probably use the thicker cardboard).

It's a strange market simply because the people who are OCD enough to care about it want to keep the games in their original boxes.

Mini gamers (Warhammer, Heroscape, Monsterclix, etc) however could be a market you could target because the boxes that come with those games provide no internal storage, the boxes themselves are pretty junky anyway and most people wind up just storing them in plastic tubs/plano boxes. So if you come up with a solution that is better than plano boxes you could tackle the mini-market.

The one complaint I see a lot on BGG is shelf wear. I don't know the nature of your product, but if someone could come up with some kind of modular shelf/divider system it would be pretty nice. Most people stack their board games 6-7 deep and over time wind up wearing the boxes at the corners and resulting in split corners/dishing on flimsier boxes from trying to support the weight of games above it.

If you could come up with something that allowed easy access/flexibility and prevented shelf wear you might have a product BGG would be interested in. Otherwise, it would have to be pretty snazy to justify a premium over plano boxes.

eznark

Banned
Thanks for the input. Like I said she originally designed it for the games you'll find at Target so standardization was less an issue (all rectangles) however she has tweaked it to allow some impressive flexibility. The reason I thought it might be an attractive niche to go after (the bgg type folks) is the notion of card sleeves...which kind of boggles my mind.

StoOgE

eznark said:
is the notion of card sleeves...which kind of boggles my mind.

Yes, there are crazy people out there who sleave every single card in Dominion.

Just make a giant plastic sleave for boxes with dividers inside of it! Success!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I once bought a bunch of sleeves (thankfully they're pretty cheap) and planned on sleeving my games. About 20 cards in I was like fuck this shit. I don't even like playing with them, some of them have pointy corners and are literally painful to play with. I may be old-fashioned but I also like the feel of cards and how every game sort of has its own distinctive feel.

Theres countless options and manufacturers who make products for the miniature gamer segment, so it's probably not worth looking into that.

eznark said:
Thanks for the input. Like I said she originally designed it for the games you'll find at Target so standardization was less an issue (all rectangles) however she has tweaked it to allow some impressive flexibility. The reason I thought it might be an attractive niche to go after (the bgg type folks) is the notion of card sleeves...which kind of boggles my mind.

People are anal about their cards, and anything happens to a card it is considered marked which pisses off some gamers. So people like sleeves. It also comes in handy when playing with drinks and food nearby, or when playing at a store of some sorts which might have something odd on the table. Also playing with strangers by chance, you don't want them to get something on your cards like cheeto dust.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The whole sleeving thing comes from the ccg community where people are ubercompetitive (worries about card marking) and also worried about hurting the value of their cards (wear & tear). Neither of those is really true in eurogaming outside of holy-grail games, but people seem to have adopted them just as happily regardless, much to the delight of Mayfair I'm sure.

Drinks are the bane of cards to me, condensation on the table, misplaced card, oh noes! I've sleeved some of my games, but usually depends on where the game is going to be played. At a game store I have to watch out for leftover nastiness from the tards before me.

Course I've grown to stop going to game shops anymore.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Flynn said:

We'll have enough for a big GAF game of Werewolf at this rate.

AstroLad said:
The whole sleeving thing comes from the ccg community where people are ubercompetitive (worries about card marking) and also worried about hurting the value of their cards (wear & tear). Neither of those is really true in eurogaming outside of holy-grail games, but people seem to have adopted them just as happily regardless, much to the delight of Mayfair I'm sure.

I'm a huge CCG player (older MTG formats, a lot of WoW TCG) that has a substantial number of non-CCG boardgames with cards-all which were sleeved the minute I got the games. It has much less to do with value of cards/wear and tear as it does the fact that, to a CCG player, cards that aren't in sleeves simply do not feel "right". The instinctual nervous flicking of your hand common among all CCG players, the feel and sound of the way that cards hit the table, these things are simply not "proper" with unsleeved cards.

I buy my sleeves bulk, so it's not terribly expensive and I get the good Japanese stuff.

I'm getting the rest of my Warhammer Invasion stuff of eBay this week and am looking forward to sleeving up another 300 or so cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, and I'm probably the exact opposite w/r/t feel. That's definitely a big part of it. Even messes up your shuffling big time.

Also with CCG's, you handle the cards like crazy and want to preserve the cards. Lot of those cards can be worth a good amount. I've gotten out of CCG's long ago, but the one nice thing was that you could make good money off reselling your stuff when you quit.

And some companies cards just aren't as durable as others, the cards can develop scratches on them easily through repeated play.

Also using colored sleeves were a big thing for me as to keep the cards easily organized. I didn't have to worry about accidents with mixing cards in decks and such do to sleeve colors.

Shuffling is no problem-years of playing with fetchlands in MTG makes randomizing a sleeved deck something of an instinctual process.

Just an FYI-the GMT sale (50% of a game for each P500 you put in this year) ends tomorrow. I don't know if that applies to anyone in the thread, but I went ahead and grabbed Dominant Species and Washington's War for 50% off with my two eligible entries, which was woah awesome. I really wanted to get the Here I Stand reprint, but that game is very long and most people don't dig the 16th century history all that much. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom