• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

So I finally dove right in, based on the recommendations here I got a few getway games for me and the gf, Dominion, Ticket to Ride + 1910 expansion and Lost Cities.. I am pretty psyched about it.

Also last night at a friends house, we played Killer Bunnies, and that was pretty fun, end game seems a bit to chancy but it kept the game fun until the end even with 3 people. To be the first time any of us played it wasn't too complex to learn once we started playing cause at first the rules seemed a little confusing, but once the cards started going it was simple. Fun times.

Also, what is 7 wonders and why does it seem so popular lol.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
sneaky77 said:

7 Wonders is a new card game that plays up to 7 players very well with extremely simple mechanics.

It's the card drafting game to Dominions Deck Building game.

It's also only 4-5 months old and already number 14 on the Board game geek list of best games... and has been out of print since the initial printing last fall so it's also very hard to get.

Good game + hottest game + can't buy it right now = lots of buzz.

Flynn

timetokill said:
Ok, dudes, Dunwich expansion seems to be out of print? If I want a big box expansion for AH, do I just go for Innsmouth or wait out Dunwich, which is supposedly getting a new batch "soon?"

I realize now that I don't really know of many good stores for board games around me now :( Anybody know good ones in the Los Angeles area?

I've heard good things about Aero in Pasadena.

Flynn said:
Aero is in Santa Monica. Game Empire is in Pasadena.

Aero is pretty much the only store on the Westside of L.A. It's a small store with a very loyal customer base. Half the store is devoted to minis and they have a couple tables as well. Game Empire is actually really nice. It's huge with more gaming space and quite a few aisles of games. Both places prices are typical FLGS prices but Game Empire does have a clearance rack while Aero does not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sneaky77 said:
So I finally dove right in, based on the recommendations here I got a few getway games for me and the gf, Dominion, Ticket to Ride + 1910 expansion and Lost Cities.. I am pretty psyched about it.

Also last night at a friends house, we played Killer Bunnies, and that was pretty fun, end game seems a bit to chancy but it kept the game fun until the end even with 3 people. To be the first time any of us played it wasn't too complex to learn once we started playing cause at first the rules seemed a little confusing, but once the cards started going it was simple. Fun times.

awesome welcome to the club!

I played Mansions of Madness this past week and my first impression of it is pretty negative. I thought it was kind of boring and I really didn't like the puzzles. It wasn't any fun just sitting there watching other players try to solve it, especially since sometimes the other players took forever. I did like the story elements, however. I don't know, maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it, especially since it took around 30 minutes just to set it up.

Neverfade

Doublethink said:
I played Mansions of Madness this past week and my first impression of it is pretty negative. I thought it was kind of boring and I really didn't like the puzzles. It wasn't any fun just sitting there watching other players try to solve it, especially since sometimes the other players took forever. I did like the story elements, however. I don't know, maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it, especially since it took around 30 minutes just to set it up.

Think of the puzzles not as something to seriously stump you, but just a physical representation of the investigators obstacles. One variant suggests using a timer. Though to be brutally honest, you'd have to be kinda dim to get stumped on these and take that long...

The setup IS crazy long. I start before people get here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm gonna bring MoM to my tuesday game night, but I'm going to pre-pack the first scenario so I can set it up quickly. I figure that so long as I sorta know what I'm doing I can give everyone else a 10 minute brief and get rocking. Sure an investigator can only do a couple of things per turn, but like any FFG product, it is the fine print on the cards that cause issues.

This game screams for a summary card (something more investigator specific than the rule book summary). Hopefully someone on BGG has made one by now.

fenners

Last night, got to catch up with a mate & play a couple of light games as neither of us had the brainpower for something heavy ;)

First up was Taluva, one of my favourite tile laying/spatial games. Think Carcassonne, but with hexagons & the ability to build tiles upon other tiles. You're building up an island filled with volcanoes, trying to place two of your three types of buildings (cheap/easy to build huts, temples that need to connect to large villages & towers that need to be built atop three tile high locations). It's fast, tight & brutal when played well. And it's gorgeous to look at, at the end of the game:

pic356888_t.jpg

Last game of the night was an indie card game I picked up at BGG.Con back in 2009 & that's now easier to find - Triumvirate . This is an odd little Roman themed trick taking game designed for two players... It's /really/ hard to grasp at first as it's very different to most trick taking games of the type - you can win tricks with off-colour cards as long as the value's higher & so on. It's got a great hidden payoff mechanism where you're opting to 'hide' a card from your had towards the final count for the game winning decision.

fenners

OneEightZero said:
Has anyone here tried The Resistance yet? I've had several online friends raving about it and it's sold out on the site I usually buy board games from.

It sounds pretty awesome. ^_^

Played it a week or two ago & had a blast. Our group isn't big on Werewolf or its variants usually, but this went down really well. It has an option set of 'mission cards' that we felt you need to play with to make it worthwhile.

fenners said:
First up was Taluva, one of my favourite tile laying/spatial games. Think Carcassonne, but with hexagons & the ability to build tiles upon other tiles. You're building up an island filled with volcanoes, trying to place two of your three types of buildings (cheap/easy to build huts, temples that need to connect to large villages & towers that need to be built atop three tile high locations). It's fast, tight & brutal when played well.

I've always wanted to try taluva but it seems it's OOP and very hard to find :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jason10mm said:
Yeah, I'm gonna bring MoM to my tuesday game night, but I'm going to pre-pack the first scenario so I can set it up quickly. I figure that so long as I sorta know what I'm doing I can give everyone else a 10 minute brief and get rocking. Sure an investigator can only do a couple of things per turn, but like any FFG product, it is the fine print on the cards that cause issues.

This game screams for a summary card (something more investigator specific than the rule book summary). Hopefully someone on BGG has made one by now.
From my very brief experience with MoM, it seems most of the setup time is in getting the exploration cards sorted out. If you know what story you'll be going through, setting that up ahead of time can save a good chunk of time. Properly organizing the rest of the bits with a good storage solution so that it's easy to get them separated can speed up the rest of it.

That way, as the investigators setup the board you can be getting your cards ready to place, and then as they mull over what investigators they want to pick you'll just need to put the cards on the board.

And The Resistance is excellent, I've been the only one in the thread really posting about it. You may want to play the first game without the plot cards to get everyone familiar with it, but definitely include them as soon as you can. They make the game a lot more interesting.

StoOgE

OneEightZero said:
Has anyone here tried The Resistance yet? I've had several online friends raving about it and it's sold out on the site I usually buy board games from.

It sounds pretty awesome. ^_^

amazingly fun game. The 'mission' cards are an absolute must and make the game just a blast.

They basically fixed every problem I had with werewolf.

StoOgE

After much thought and rumination I have decided to pass on Thunderstone.

I liked it. I wasn't crazy about it though.

Flynn said:

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Aero is in Santa Monica. Game Empire is in Pasadena.

Aero is pretty much the only store on the Westside of L.A. It's a small store with a very loyal customer base. Half the store is devoted to minis and they have a couple tables as well. Game Empire is actually really nice. It's huge with more gaming space and quite a few aisles of games. Both places prices are typical FLGS prices but Game Empire does have a clearance rack while Aero does not.

Awesome guys, thanks! I actually work in Santa Monica so I'll give Aero a look. I'll have to take a weekend trip to Game Empire sometime too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Has anybody here played Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper?

My wife and I really like playing rummy, so I was thinking this might be a fun twist on it, and it is fairly cheap ($10 on Amazon). Is it a worth rummy variant or would we just be better off playing Gin or Rummy?

jason10mm said:

I don't know if I've ever posted in here. I've been subscribed for a long time.

Anyway, I'd say reading the FAQ is pretty helpful: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/mansions-of-madness/support/mom-faq-v1.pdf. Remember that there's two ways to approach the game. As a serious resource management game with rules lawyering (not joking there are people on BGG of this opinion) and as more of a story experience. I think the game works better that way personally. So if something comes up that you're not sure of I don't think there's any real issue with erring on the side of theme.

I think the options for investigators on their turns are actually pretty simple. They can do one of two or three things right? Explore, Fight, Use an item, or move again. I haven't had a problem with new players losing their way with those options.

If you come with the cards all set up into the right stacks then you should be good to go pretty quickly. The other thing that takes a long time is the pack up, resorting the cards out into their original decks. You can do some of that as you're going I guess, but we always seem to forget to.

As with everyone else i'm a little worried about replayability. But it's not like FFG have ever been shy about releasing expansions and this game has sold like hotcakes. Give me a big scenario book with a couple of text-less clue cards, a few more lock/key combos and this thing will be basically the best story in a box game yet.

I also just played a game of Letters From Whitechapel with my fiancée. I really like it. There's a little more to it than Scotland Yard without getting so fiddly as to become a mess, like Fury of Dracula. It says it can be a multiplayer game too, but I'm not sure how well that'd work. I might try it with the full 6 to see. The game might be a little weighted to Jack over the investigators. I'm not sure. Anyway, yeah. It was fun.

StoOgE

Cyan said:
Sounds awesome indeed. My buddies love playing Mafia, but we always have issues with the narrator and people being out of the game. This sounds perfect for us.

Seems like you can play with a deck of regular cards, so I'll get folks to try it a few times before I buy anything.

The game costs like 10 dollars if you can find it.

And yes, it removes the whole game GM/elimination problem.

Zalasta

Yaboosh said:
Has anybody here played Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper?

My wife and I really like playing rummy, so I was thinking this might be a fun twist on it, and it is fairly cheap ($10 on Amazon). Is it a worth rummy variant or would we just be better off playing Gin or Rummy?

I think it's a nice spin to the old formula. If you still have questions, I'd check BGG's entry on the game, should be plenty of reviews and impressions to help you decide.

fenners

Zalasta said:
I think it's a nice spin to the old formula. If you still have questions, I'd check BGG's entry on the game, should be plenty of reviews and impressions to help you decide.

Jack The Ripper is an interesting twist to Rummy... The rules, as printed, are *abysmal* and trying to decipher them almost made me throw away the game; they're that bad. Thankfully, there's a player guide/rewrite of the rules on the 'Geek that makes the game playable.

It's quite a gruesome little game though.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
That is ridonkulous -- if anything is overrated it's Prosperity. Alchemy is properly rated however.

Now that I have Alchemy, I'm pretty ok with it. Some of the cards are pretty nice and I like the mechanic of the potions. Possession sucks, the idea of Possession is fun, but it's game breaking and takes too long.

I think Alchemy's biggest issue is that it was a small expansion. Had they put a full 25 KD cards that used potions and had some super crazy powerful stuff that cost say 2 potions and some money it would be better liked than it is.

Similar to some of the super powerful cards in Prosperity that cost a fortune.

Though, I think Dominion KD has math problems that are causing it to show up roughly 2x as much as it should using the Alchemy picking rules.

StoOgE

Fenners, are you going to give to game?

I've never been, so I'm not sure if I should bring games or how it works at all.. but a day of gaming for a bag of food for a good cause sounds like a winner.

fenners

StoOgE said:
Fenners, are you going to give to game?

I've never been, so I'm not sure if I should bring games or how it works at all.. but a day of gaming for a bag of food for a good cause sounds like a winner.

I'm planning on going, yeah. I intended to go last year, but life got in the way. A bunch of my usual gaming buddies go.

I believe there's a library of sorts, but it's relatively lowkey & small. Definitely bring your own games if you want to play them.

And yeah, a day of gaming for charity is a winner.

StoOgE

Cool,

I think a lot of my normal group is going to be there as well, so I should be there. Don't know if I'll make it the whole day, but I'll be there for the math trade (assuming something trades)

I would like to learn GoT if you go and want to teach it. I want to play it at my GoT party before the TV series kicks off.

fenners

StoOgE said:
Cool,

I think a lot of my normal group is going to be there as well, so I should be there. Don't know if I'll make it the whole day, but I'll be there for the math trade (assuming something trades)

I would like to learn GoT if you go and want to teach it. I want to play it at my GoT party before the TV series kicks off.

LOL I just sold my GoT. Literally two hours ago. Made 100% profit as it happens. Sold off a bunch of games at work that I hadn't played or didn't look likely to play again soon (or my friends have plenty of copies...). Raked in about $180, so I'll be ordering some replacements ;) Likely order from CSI is:

7 Wonders, Ghost Stories, Death Angel, Glen More, 51st State, Wars of the Roses...

And /maybe/ Claustraphobia or something else.

Damn. I just went to Aero and they don't have the Dunwich expansion for Arkham Horror, though their site says they do :(

This sucks. I don't want to buy it for $100 online. Any idea of when it will get another print run, if ever?

And if I can't find it, is Innsmouth the next best one? Or should I just try out Mansions of Madness instead?

fenners

timetokill said:
Damn. I just went to Aero and they don't have the Dunwich expansion for Arkham Horror, though their site says they do :(

This sucks. I don't want to buy it for $100 online. Any idea of when it will get another print run, if ever?

And if I can't find it, is Innsmouth the next best one? Or should I just try out Mansions of Madness instead?

Dunwich is due to be reprinted... No idea how soon, but it's up for reprint for sure. FFG knows there's demand. Don't pay $100 for it.

fenners said:
Dunwich is due to be reprinted... No idea how soon, but it's up for reprint for sure. FFG knows there's demand. Don't pay $100 for it.

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll put one out around when the Miskatonic "expansion of the expansions" comes out. I won't be paying $100 for it, I just wish I had some idea of when they were going to do the Dunwich reprint.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Innsmouth is very good if you want to add lots of difficulty. Some consider it the best. Though it's definitely not so good for a totally new group.

AstroLad said:
Innsmouth is very good if you want to add lots of difficulty. Some consider it the best. Though it's definitely not so good for a totally new group.

Cool. Well, the next group I'm playing with (this weekend) is a new group, so just playing with vanilla AH will be fine for then. I guess we'll see how it goes, and I'll make a decision on Innsmouth after a few plays of that. Hopefully by then Dunwich will be back in stock somewhere as well.

By the way, do you play with multiple expansions or do you just choose one, mix and match, or anything like that?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
there are crazy crazy posts on bgg about how to handle multiple expansions and the like (creating tons of separate decks and making rolls, etc.) and even the rules try to (very roughly) address the issue. but i much prefer playing with one at a time otherwise you really miss out on the theme of the expansion as there's just shit popping all over the place. the nice thing is though that the expansions have non-expansion specific encounters and items and such that you can just mix into the decks which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom