• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

That is probably the ugliest design product for iPad... wow I would never want one of those.

Cwi8p.png

CaLe

Hi guys,

Anyone knows if it's possible to use the iPad as a screen for Photoshop ? I would like to purchase a pen and use the iPad as my canvas.

If not, what's the best alternative out there ?

Thanks

Teddman

That is probably the ugliest design product for iPad... wow I would never want one of those.
Who cares what it looks like? It's to make reading or watching a movie a lot more comfortable when you're probably by yourself. The SnakeClamp basically looks like a camera tripod, plain-looking but not ugly.

Gooseneck stands may look cooler, but functionally they're a failure. The iPad will rock and sway all over the place when you tap or swipe, making it disorienting to view until it goes still again. I found the SnakeClamp's aluminum arm much more stable.

Stantron

I'm trying to decide between the Jot Pro and Bamboo Stylus for drawing. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I'm also considering the PenGo as a cheaper alternative. Need more suggestions.

By the way, anybody know how many color options are available in Paper by 53 when you purchase the other brushes/pens?

I will be getting an iPad as a birthday gift and was wondering if getting a screen protector is worth it? This is my first iDevice so I'm afraid of scratching the screen.

Also, what are some good cases for it?

Teddman

I will be getting an iPad as a birthday gift and was wondering if getting a screen protector is worth it? This is my first iDevice so I'm afraid of scratching the screen.
If you're disposed to worry about it, it's probably worth it just for peace of mind. PowerSupport Crystal is considered the best brand; I put one on and hand the iPad over to kids and guests without fear.

For me, the simple combo of an Incipio NGP + PS Crystal film is the best setup, but there are a million options on cases.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was waiting to buy a case because of that iPad Magnet fiasco. I'm looking at the Targus Slim Fit if they fixed magnet placement. I was also looking at the iSkin Aura2 but I'm not sure there is a good way to use it flat without that riser up or having the folio to the side.

MontTrain

Banned
"Ruins" is a very strong word and it makes it seem you are incapable of rationale discussion.

Well I'm one of those people that keeps all my iPhones and iPads naked as I believe it provides the optimum experience in how using the device feels. So yes you're probably right :)

japtor

Is there really a difference between a cheap stylus for like 10 bucks vs a 30 dollar one?
Depends on the stylus, like the basic little rubber dome type has been around for a while now and is branded by seemingly every company out there, and can be had for pretty cheap or relatively overpriced. If it's the same stylus the only difference is the branding itself.

But there are others out there like the Jot, the Wacom one appears to be a modified dome type with a smaller tip and longer pen body, Pogo has some rubber design of their own now, there's some fabric dome one (iFaraday?) that has less friction and more sensitivity, etc. They all have their pluses and minuses.
Paper is neat, but Sketchbook is nicer in almost every way. Honestly, even the undo in Sketchbook is nicer. A simple double tap in the lower left hand corner to undo. Simple, and works great.
There's also a three finger swipe left. My main issue is that SketchBook can lag quite a bit at times, so going back more than a step or two can get really annoying.
Hm, ok I'll have to keep an eye out. If I get another crash anywhere it's back to the store, but so far so good. It wasn't really a crash per se just a really weird glitch/lockup which is why I thought maybe Ascension was to blame (though Ascension has never done the same for me in many hours on my Touch.
Has it been updated since the new iPad came out? Could be some bug specific to the new hardware if it hasn't been fully tested against it yet, maybe email the devs about it.
"Ruins" is a very strong word and it makes it seem you are incapable of rationale discussion.
Yeah it's a strong word...but I'd say it's appropriate for matte protectors on retina displays.
Has there been any sort of update or explanation of the "yellow tint"?
Pretty sure it's like every new device, there's just a lot of variability for better or worse. Get used to it or exchange it...and/or complain to Tim Cook about the complete lack of color calibration/management in iOS.

Talon

Rdio also has an iPad app out, and they are far better than MOG and even Spotify for social.
I actually have used both. Rdio's is better than nothing, but MOG's UX is much better, IMO. Adding an artist to your library is strange on Rdio. Doesn't make sense for the screen to wash out and use a tiny portion of the screen. MOG uses the same design language that other content apps use for adding content. Also, the app seemed to reboot every time I launched it, which is strange. I also like that when you go full screen with the album art on MOG, the controls are maintained up top.

I don't really care for the social features, personally.

The reality is I'm going to run back to Spotify's arms once they release an iPad app.

kr2t0s

paper app pro tip: hold on the eraser for a few seconds - clear page prompt shows up.

Tried holding on all the tools and none of them seem to have any functionality though.

sfedai0

Banned
Finally got wireless syncing to work....must have been the latest update for iTunes on my pc. Nice to not have to pull out the usb cable.

Blackhead

Redarse
And the best (Read It Later) stays ignored.

Read It Later got some venture capital funding ($3 million?) recently so Anil is probably lumping it in with those 'big' companies. I too prefer RiL's feature set but *shrug* the Apple technosphere is very much invested in Instapaper.

NB I should have posted the link elsewhere. The original discussion of Readability versus Instapaper was in the best of iOS thread not here

giga

I've never checked out Read It Later, I'll give it a go.
- it's ugly
- you're limited to helvetica and georgia
- there's no gestures for going back to your article list or going to previous/next articles
- there's no automatic dark mode
- there's no wikipedia dictionary

I'd recommend Instapaper or Readability over it any day. Instapaper has more bells and whistles and Readability is just gorgeous with well done interactions.

NawidA

Banned
Instapaper is the fucking shit and Marco is a stand up dude.

Here's the deal: I bet less than 1% of all people on the web use these services. Even for longform NYT articles and such I'll bet it's still around a percent. And I'll also bet that these services deliver more than 1% of traffic with their discovery sites.

Any y'know this whole thing is a user-solution to a problem presented by the websites: They are a pain in the ass and finger poke to the eyes. I rarely send a Grantland article over to Instapaper though, because frankly, reading on Grantland's site is better.

Blackhead

Redarse
Instapaper is the fucking shit and Marco is a stand up dude.

Here's the deal: I bet less than 1% of all people on the web use these services. Even for longform NYT articles and such I'll bet it's still around a percent. And I'll also bet that these services deliver more than 1% of traffic with their discovery sites.

Any y'know this whole thing is a user-solution to a problem presented by the websites: They are a pain in the ass and finger poke to the eyes. I rarely send a Grantland article over to Instapaper though, because frankly, reading on Grantland's site is better.

That's why I prefer ReadItLater as it gives you the proper site. It's basically 'offline mode'. Instapaper used to offer that as well ages ago but Marco cut off that feature.

I'll agree that less that 1% of people on the web use these services but I'll accept your other bets and wager that it's significantly higher than 1% for long form NYT articles and the like (especially for the people who actually read such articles to completion) and that it's a more significant percentage on tablets and mobile devices where publishers are actually hoping to monitize their articles instead of the free-with-ads web model. It's a pointless bet though as neither of us is going to pull out any surveys... oh you should check this out too: What the Betamax Case Teaches Us About Readability

Talon

It's a moot point with the NYTimes because they've been blocking articles over to Instapaper/Readability for at least a month now.

Instapaper's an interesting case because, as Anil said, it's basically stating that UX on the web is shitty for reading longform articles. By stripping out the work that goes into layout (which, may surprise you, but journalists do take a lot of pride in how their work looks), users are rejecting the work that's there.

I certainly think this is a growing field, and it'll be interesting to see how advertising adjusts. I was in plenty of classes where we had BBC and Google employees talk to us about RSS feeds and properly serving ads, so I'm sure there's conversation around this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I just started using instapaper. It's the first time shifting bookmark service I've ever uses. I really like it. I've started to read longer stuff exclusively in it. It's an interesting debate.

I also just read a lot of stuff in reeder for iPad. That app is fucking killer. Love the gestures.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's a moot point with the NYTimes because they've been blocking articles over to Instapaper/Readability for at least a month now.
Oh... was this a silent block or was it acknowledged anywhere? I thought Marco had something agreement with the NYT... what about Flipboard? hmm...

Instapaper's an interesting case because, as Anil said, it's basically stating that UX on the web is shitty for reading longform articles. By stripping out the work that goes into layout (which, may surprise you, but journalists do take a lot of pride in how their work looks), users are rejecting the work that's there.

I certainly think this is a growing field, and it'll be interesting to see how advertising adjusts. I was in plenty of classes where we had BBC and Google employees talk to us about RSS feeds and properly serving ads, so I'm sure there's conversation around this.
I see RSS as a different thing as that's still under the control of the publisher. Instapaper and Readability aren't.

AllenShrz

Is there any AirPlay type app for MacOs?

I want to stream from the Ipad and Iphone to the MacMini

What I want to do is have AirPlay with my Mac Mini, which I use a a HTPC, I dont have or want the AppleTV given that I have the superior option.

Any ideas?

Talon

Oh... was this a silent block or was it acknowledged anywhere? I thought Marco had something agreement with the NYT... what about Flipboard? hmm...
All I know is that NYTimes articles stopped coming through properly with Readability in Reeder or Instapaper saves. Just see a Login to read image.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I never know what to use for an image host for images taken straight from the iPad. I found the minus app, but there's no resizing options. I just want to be able to snap a screen or use a photo, and post it on a forum at a reasonable size. Is such a thing possible?

Top Bottom