• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mf.luder

I kinda wish there was a gesture for sleep and wake haha.

I'm sure it wouldn't be big but I'm sure people would complain about the vampire drain on the battery: having the screen off but requiring the input sensor to be awake.

I agree with a gesture going to sleep though, like maybe a double 5 finger pinch on the home screen?

Husker86

What? How would you hold the iPad?

It doesn't float? I could have sworn from reading this thread that it floated.

So, just sold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Amazon, soon I will buy the new iPad from Best Buy so I can use the lovely 18 months no interest.

I did like the Tab, but no Hulu support on probably the most popular Android tablet and not being able to leech off of my Mom's HBO sub for HBO Go were two reasons I really wanted to switch. The ridiculous display was the third.

Wow the UI design of the paper app is fucking outstanding.

Yes it is. The app is being featured by every single tech blog out there, as well as being pimped on iTunes as app or the week, so I have a feeling it will get monster sales. Good, since I want them to keep supporting and updating it. Nailed the fundamentals, nw t just needs to add features while keeping the ui ultra simple. I'd love if you could insert images + text.

kaskade

Paper is pretty awesome. I'll probably end up buying the pack eventually I wish it was 4.99 for the whole thing though. I'm not good at drawing but it's fun just to doodle around.

I was thinking about a stylus for it but I don't know how well it'll work. Kind of feels like finger painting without it.

Been playing around with Paper, very nice.

imMHgfO2FOZnr.jpeg

Fing hell thats amazing but i cant justify the 8$ pricetag

giga

Fing hell thats amazing but i cant justify the 8$ pricetag
Looks like all he used was the watercolor and pen tool--which would only be $2.

First time proper long use test without charging it at the same time. On a three hour train journey and a bit past halfway through. Using iPad for RSS-reading (feeddler pro) and have watched around 25 minutes of video as well. Began at 96% battery charge on both my iphone and ipad and i am connected through iphone wifi-sharing (3g). Brightness at around 30%.
Battterylevel on the ipad is now 85% and the ipad has stayed cool while my iphone 4S is warm and at 58%. iphone has been used for sharing 3g and listening to the latest Brodeo podcast.

I might be imagining things but sometimes it feels like the backlightis uneven. Doesnt really affect me and might just be the angle.

Also VLC has serious chopping on 720p titles, any better viewers?

Nearing two hours use now and have used around 12%. White gps-symbol has been on as well.

Edit: Apple really really need to add arrow text navigation to the keyboard. Trying to move the marker in a moving vehicle is not a pleasant experience.

E2:also, Apple really needs to reduce the weight of the iPad. Needs to be at least, if not less, half its current weight to be comfortable to use for a longer period if it is in hands.

You can download a user guide / manual through iBooks.
You're using your battery life quicker by using VLC because it's using the CPU to decode instead of the GPU. It also explains why you're getting choppy playback on 720P files.

Cheebo

Banned
Yes it is. The app is being featured by every single tech blog out there, as well as being pimped on iTunes as app or the week, so I have a feeling it will get monster sales. Good, since I want them to keep supporting and updating it. Nailed the fundamentals, nw t just needs to add features while keeping the ui ultra simple. I'd love if you could insert images + text.

It couldn't happen to a better team either, the Courier team got screwed by Microsoft. Glad to see them finding their place on iPad. Can't wait to see what other future apps they have up their sleeve. I don't really have a use for all the drawing tools but I will purchase the whole pack just to support fantastic app making like this.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's unwieldy! Maybe I will get one of those things. I dunno, I hate attached covers and cases of any sort, but I guess this one's really easy to remove?

It requires zero effort to apply and remove. It is stupidly expensive, but so are all ipad cases.

I dont see the problem with using the home button to stop the shaky apps though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know this is an age-old question but what do you guys do for smudges just carry around a cloth? After I had to d/l and organize 100+ apps last night . . . yikes.

dream

That's unwieldy! Maybe I will get one of those things. I dunno, I hate attached covers and cases of any sort, but I guess this one's really easy to remove?

Yeah, you just kind of tug it and it detaches from the iPad. I'm not a fan of cases either but I like the Smart Cover just because it's so easy to attach and remove: I just throw it on when I'm taking the iPad somewhere and pull it back off when I'm at home.

I know this is an age-old question but what do you guys do for smudges just carry around a cloth? After I had to d/l and organize 100+ apps last night . . . yikes.

Smart Cover. :p

Tobor

It's a cover. It's a microfiber cleaning cloth. It's a stand.

Are you getting it?

Heel

Alright, gang, I'm getting the app thread together. Who wants to recommend some apps for the first edition of the thread?

What's the focus of the thread? iPad only apps, retina apps, universal apps that work best on iPad...?

AstroLad, tried to get a Carcassonne game going with you and Smiley but I have no idea how that works, haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's the focus of the thread? iPad only apps, retina apps, universal apps that work best on iPad...?

AstroLad, tried to get a Carcassonne game going with you and Smiley but I have no idea how that works, haha.

Got the invite I believe. You can send out invitations, wait for people to accept (by just clicking in), and start whenever. All asynchronous so everyone just get notifications when they get an invite or it's their turn.

Flo_Evans

which is why even though the features are lacking it will have long legs and be #1 in its category

I really like it. I bought sketchbook pro on sale but honestly it's a little too complex for the kind of sketches I would want to do on my iPad.

I think it's kind of strange how the app store has driven down people's price expectations. $8 is less than a nice sketchbook, less than a nice ink pen, less than a set of watercolors. The fucking thing is a $500+ device and no one wants to spend more than .99 cents on an app. :p

I really like it. I bought sketchbook pro on sale but honestly it's a little too complex for the kind of sketches I would want to do on my iPad.

I think it's kind of strange how the app store has driven down people's price expectations. $8 is less than a nice sketchbook, less than a nice ink pen, less than a set of watercolors. The fucking thing is a $500+ device and no one wants to spend more than .99 cents on an app. :p

people still feel tangible goods are worth more, but that feeling will go away in a generation. I'm 25 so I still kind of feel that way, but kid in middle school and high school now probably don't care if everything is 100% digital

Heads up for us Europeans. Apple is now officially giving 2 years warranty on their products in accordance to the European directive.

When you purchase Apple products, European Union consumer law provides statutory warranty rights in addition to the coverage you receive from the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty and the optional AppleCare Protection Plan.

This is especially good news for us Dutch people as we are consistently screwed over by our 'stricter' warranty laws that, in the end, give more power to the manufacturers.

Blackhead

Redarse
which is why even though the features are lacking it will have long legs and be #1 in its category

Haha, No. The only thing new UI-wise that Paper brings to the table is a different gesture for Undo. It's the fad of the week.

And how many people buy nice sketchbooks, nice ink pens or a set of watercolors? More to the point, if you've already bought all that then why spend an extra $8 on an inferior digital version?

Are you getting it?

Lol

Seriously though. I love the smart cover. So easy to get on and off...doesn't add bulk...iPad isn't absorbed by some ugly otter box type monstrosity.

Got the invite I believe. You can send out invitations, wait for people to accept (by just clicking in), and start whenever. All asynchronous so everyone just get notifications when they get an invite or it's their turn.

Yeah, Carc is so good on iPad. I even like the single player. For the love.

Haha, No. The only thing new UI-wise that Paper brings to the table is a different gesture for Undo. It's the fad of the week.

And how many people buy nice sketchbooks, nice ink pens or a set of watercolors? More to the point, if you've already bought all that then why spend an extra $8 on an inferior digital version?

Their appears to be very talented and ambitious people behind Paper, I don't expect them to fall by the wayside.

You've been pretty pessimistic about this app, why is that?

senador

Banned
Holy shit this paper by fifty three app is incredible

I'm not an artist at all but I've been having fun with it. Been using a stylus. It's very relaxing. 3 drawings I made:

Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%204%2047%2000%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%204%2047%2004%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%204%2047%2010%20PM.jpg

Been playing around with Paper, very nice.

imMHgfO2FOZnr.jpeg

Damn. This is really good, much better than mine. Nice work!

So I like that app but it needs some help. Let me save the pics to my camera roll without doing a screenshot. The UI and controls are pretty but they suck. I accidentally draw on my previous work when flipping back through. Just needs some tweaks and to make it more fluid and obvious and less twitchy and funky.

I also hope they add more colors.

see5harp

What are some good Comixology comics? I see they have a ton of DC stuff but a lot of the time it's not in collections. Really looking for either a quality classic I missed back in the day or something splashy to show off the display.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has 'HD' listed on the cover art. If you want something brand new and awesome looking check out the first issue of Saga. I think they have the first issue of Walking Dead in there for free too.

Blackhead

Redarse
Their appears to be very talented and ambitious people behind Paper, I don't expect them to fall by the wayside.

You've been pretty pessimistic about this app, why is that?

I listened to the interview and watched the Paper preview video and all I saw was hubris. There are no shortage of talented developers putting out iOS apps that have been featured in the App Store to plenty of acclaim—Brushes and Penultimate come to mind.

Talon

I listened to the interview and watched the Paper preview video and all I saw was hubris. There are no shortage of talented developers putting out iOS apps that have been featured in the App Store to plenty of acclaim—Brushes and Penultimate come to mind.
Clearly they have lessons learned from working at the Microsoft (I completely forgot what that studio in Portland was called - 51?), while developing the Courier.

Darkgran

Absolutely loving the screen.

I'm looking for a good media player to stream movies. I have BUZZplayer but I don't really like it. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom