• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whatever you buy, make sure it has 'HD' listed on the cover art. If you want something brand new and awesome looking check out the first issue of Saga. I think they have the first issue of Walking Dead in there for free too.

Cool -- kinda wish you could sort to see HD only (may have missed it).

Teddman

I've been looking for a stand to raise the iPad up to eye level for hands-free viewing, but most of the options out there were either too expensive or took up too much space. Other "swing arm" style stands ran up to $270! I decided to take a look at a SnakeClamp.

The SnakeClamp brand seems a relatively new line of products, and as far as I could tell, there were literally zero reviews of their iPad stands online. This may be the first! Still, the price was nice ($54.95 plus shipping) and I decided to take the plunge. I chose the "Mini-Universal" iPad mount option because I wanted to leave my Incipio NGP bumper case on the iPad.

4VD44.jpg

The iPad Cobra SnakeClamp contains three 1' aluminum arm sections, a vise grip clamp for attaching to a desk or table, and your choice of a iPad 1, iPad 2/3, or a "Mini-Universal" bracket for mounting your iPad.

295SR.jpg

The vise grip is sturdy metal and has a rubber coating to prevent damage to the desk or table.

I was able to assemble the stand in less than five minutes, and ended up only using two of the three arm sections. This made the distance just right for couch-surfing with the iPad and also reduced the "wobble factor" when tapping and swiping the screen.

LSJxA.jpg

iPad lounging in full effect!
Very easy on the eyes and wrists, and I can now read comics, surf the web, and watch videos for hours on end without getting a crick in my neck from staring down at my lap. And my hands stay free for a cold beverage!

qdKP0.jpg

PROS AND CONS:

+ The cheapest eye-level iPad stand at $54.95 plus shipping.
+ Sturdy, quality aluminum construction.
+ Up to 3 feet of adjustable arm length.
+ Easy to remove from table/desk and set back up once you find a comfortable locked position.
+ The mini-universal attachment accommodates an iPad with a case (as well as any other tablet or e-reader).
  • - The mini-universal attachment does NOT support a vertical portrait orientation for the iPad--it will slide right out. Choose the iPad 1 or iPad 2/3 attachment for that--but then you will need to remove any case.
  • - The stand wobbles a bit when you touch the screen, and this can be disorienting while reading. I fixed this by leaning a heavy book against the vise arm, which reduced the wobble factor to nearly zero.
  • - You must loosen/tighten each arm joint to reposition it--this is not a tension spring arm that is instantly adjustable.

OVERALL, I am very pleased with the SnakeClamp! It's a "best buy" for this kind of stand at $55 plus shipping. Just be aware that you want the iPad 2/3 attachment if you would like to use both portrait and landscape orientations.

see5harp

Cool -- kinda wish you could sort to see HD only (may have missed it).

I think moving forward everything will be loaded in HD. Even the illegal scan groups are starting to upload their scans at multiple quality settings. The large files are only like 50 Meg's so I don't see a big reason to not upload higher quality. I really hope they don't actually try and sell the HD versions at a premium though like they've historically priced lossless music and HD video.

DarkWish

Yes! Convinced my dad to let me get the new iPad. Haven't had one before, so I'm looking forward to finally getting one. Looking to get it from Target so I can get 5% off using the Target Redcard, but it's out of stock at the ones nearby (looking for the 16 GB Black Wi-Fi only). Hopefully they get a shipment in soon!

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Why the hell isnt there a built in alarm clock? The thing is "always on" so i dont understand why apple would remove such a simple feature.

What is the best alarm clock app, that doesnt require me to be running the app? Are there any?

nomis

Why the hell isnt there a built in alarm clock? The thing is "always on" so i dont understand why apple would remove such a simple feature.

What is the best alarm clock app, that doesnt require me to be running the app? Are there any?

Awaken. It's the closest thing to a built-in app I could imagine. Keep the app open and hit the lock button before you go to sleep. It's awesome to use on the bedside table in a dock.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awaken/id327767743?mt=8

It also "works" when the app isn't in the foreground, but it only uses a default Apple tone, and not the music or alarm sound you selected.

Husker86

I still don't understand this..such a weird thing to remove. I used Ambient Alarm but you have to leave it open.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I've been looking for a stand to raise the iPad up to eye level for hands-free viewing, but most of the options out there were either too expensive or took up too much space. Other "swing arm" style stands ran up to $270! I decided to take a look at a SnakeClamp.

The SnakeClamp brand seems a relatively new line of products, and as far as I could tell, there were literally zero reviews of their iPad stands online. This may be the first! Still, the price was nice ($54.95 plus shipping) and I decided to take the plunge. I chose the "Mini-Universal" iPad mount option because I wanted to leave my Incipio NGP bumper case on the iPad.

http://i.imgur.com/4VD44.jpg[IMG]

The iPad Cobra SnakeClamp contains three 1' aluminum arm sections, a vise grip clamp for attaching to a desk or table, and your choice of a iPad 1, iPad 2/3, or a "Mini-Universal" bracket for mounting your iPad.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/295SR.jpg[IMG]

The vise grip is sturdy metal and has a rubber coating to prevent damage to the desk or table.

I was able to assemble the stand in less than five minutes, and ended up only using two of the three arm sections. This made the distance just right for couch-surfing with the iPad and also reduced the "wobble factor" when tapping and swiping the screen.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LSJxA.jpg[IMG]

Very easy on the eyes and wrists, and I can now read comics, surf the web, and watch videos for hours on end without getting a crick in my neck from staring down at my lap. And my hands stay free for a cold beverage!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qdKP0.jpg[IMG]

[B]PROS AND CONS:
[/B]
[B]+[/B] The cheapest eye-level iPad stand at $54.95 plus shipping.
[B]+[/B] Sturdy, quality aluminum construction.
[B]+[/B] Up to 3 feet of adjustable arm length.
[B]+ [/B]Easy to remove from table/desk and set back up once you find a comfortable locked position.
[B]+ [/B]The mini-universal attachment accommodates an iPad with a case (as well as any other tablet or e-reader).
[LIST][b]-[/b] The mini-universal attachment does NOT support a vertical portrait orientation for the iPad--it will slide right out. Choose the iPad 1 or iPad 2/3 attachment for that--but then you will need to remove any case.[/LIST][LIST][B]-[/B] The stand wobbles a bit when you touch the screen, and this can be disorienting while reading. I fixed this by leaning a heavy book against the vise arm, which reduced the wobble factor to nearly zero.[/LIST][LIST][B]-[/B] You must loosen/tighten each arm joint to reposition it--this is not a tension spring arm that is instantly adjustable.[/LIST]

[B]OVERALL[/B], I am very pleased with the SnakeClamp! It's a "best buy" for this kind of stand at $55 plus shipping. Just be aware that you want the iPad 2/3 attachment if you would like to use both portrait and landscape orientations.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing, do they have one where you can attach it to the toilet. Like a suction cup or something? How are the screen protectors for handling spillage/sprays if they have them also?

Teddman

That's amazing, do they have one where you can attach it to the toilet. Like a suction cup or something? How are the screen protectors for handling spillage/sprays if they have them also?
Well, they have three different mounting bases for the stands, including a magnetic one and a heavy base that would pretty much work on any flat surface, that might work in a bathroom or right on top of the toilet's water tank. There are also gooseneck arm options instead of the aluminum arm Cobra model I got.

I don't think SnakeClamp makes their own screen protectors, but the combo of a bumper case (like Incipio NGP) and PowerSupport crystal screen film ought to guard against any sprayage.

I'm telling you guys, this stand is the best thing ever if you read a lot of digital comics! Smash Comic Reader's auto zoom view in landscape mode works with it like a dream, you could read comics way too easily and end up wasting your whole evening. ;)

IllumiNate

I'm wanting to purchase The Hunger Games book, and it's not available on the ibook store. Is there any word of it coming, and if not how is reading via The kindle app in comparison to the ibook app?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I have GoodReader & Dropbox. Have a bunch of PDFs in Dropbox and I like using Dropbox interface, but is there any way to get those PDFs to open using an app other than Dropbox or whatever Dropbox is using? Not digging that so much.

Also what is the quickest way to get a screenshot uploaded to a public link? Is there some app or something native?

Teddman

So I have GoodReader & Dropbox. Have a bunch of PDFs in Dropbox and I like using Dropbox interface, but is there any way to get those PDFs to open using an app other than Dropbox or whatever Dropbox is using? Not digging that so much.
Doesn't GoodReader have native DropBox support?

But if you are using the DropBox app itself, you should be able to click on a file and use the 'Open In' option to hand it off to another installed app.

mhayze

Doesn't GoodReader have native DropBox support?

But if you are using the DropBox app itself, you should be able to click on a file and use the 'Open In' option to hand it off to another installed app.

I use iSMEStorage. It has connections to DropBox, Skydrive as well as your own web / webdav / sharepoint etc interfaces. It can also extract from zip / rar. It lets you pick which app you want to use to open a file such as a PDF.

I'm wanting to purchase The Hunger Games book, and it's not available on the ibook store. Is there any word of it coming, and if not how is reading via The kindle app in comparison to the ibook app?

I just finished reading it on the Kindle app, didn't find any problems with it.

Heads up for us Europeans. Apple is now officially giving 2 years warranty on their products in accordance to the European directive.

This is especially good news for us Dutch people as we are consistently screwed over by our 'stricter' warranty laws that, in the end, give more power to the manufacturers.

Good good, that's more like it!

So Draw Something is the greatest IOS game ever? Half the people I play against just write the word......

It's amazing, really good when you play with people who can draw!

Does anyone have recommendations on the the best stylus for drawing apps?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's normal for the iPad to lock up? Just had it freeze during Ascension. Could have been because I was just finishing showing my wife a ton of apps, mostly editing ones. Or maybe an Ascension issue. It was really weird I still heard the music and was even able to pull up the power menu but couldn't otherwise interact so had to do a hard reset. Something similar happened earlier today too. Might need to be more careful about how many apps I'm running.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got a problem with virtual desktop software. I want to be able to use the keyboard/mouse on my mac, but use the ipad as a virtual screen only. But when I use iteleport, the mouse pointer doesn't move. Is this because they're using their own software cursor and its messing something up? Splashtop shows it moving ok (if a little laggy) but I prefer how iteleport shows me my desktop at the proper size (and zoomed to fit on the ipad screen), whereas splashtop seems to change the resolution of the desktop to 1024x768 which messes my apps up

Alex

So Draw Something is the greatest IOS game ever? Half the people I play against just write the word......

It's an amusing distraction, needs more words though, also I only get a few people who do that, when I get them I just draw mismatched pictures for them, which is fun in itself when you imagine the person is boggling at how to fit an accurately drawn watermelon into three letters.

You might say that they will catch on quick, but with some of these people, I really doubt it when they keep feeding you words as you troll the, :lol. Warped.

got a problem with virtual desktop software. I want to be able to use the keyboard/mouse on my mac, but use the ipad as a virtual screen only. But when I use iteleport, the mouse pointer doesn't move. Is this because they're using their own software cursor and its messing something up? Splashtop shows it moving ok (if a little laggy) but I prefer how iteleport shows me my desktop at the proper size (and zoomed to fit on the ipad screen), whereas splashtop seems to change the resolution of the desktop to 1024x768 which messes my apps up

My desktop stays at 1080p, check your splash top settings.

Retina update for Splashtop will be amazing.

Synless

It's a cover. It's a microfiber cleaning cloth. It's a stand.

It's a cover. It's a microfiber cleaning cloth. It's a stand.

Are you getting it?

I love my orange smart cover, I did order one of those Bear Motion leather cases to give it a little more class though. We shall see how that works out.

japtor

Paper is nice but is it better than SketchBook Pro for $4.99? Sketchbook looks way nicer in terms of feature...
Depends what you plan to do with it and your style, and if you can work with Paper's limitations or SketchBook's extra options. Paper starts out free and there's a free version of SketchBook so just try them out.
I'm trying to decide between the Jot Pro and Bamboo Stylus for drawing. Any suggestions?
Jot is more precise (but still not good enough personally), not sure about the Bamboo but if it's like other rubber dome ones it'll be more sensitive (so you can use a lighter touch with it).
It's normal for the iPad to lock up? Just had it freeze during Ascension. Could have been because I was just finishing showing my wife a ton of apps, mostly editing ones. Or maybe an Ascension issue. It was really weird I still heard the music and was even able to pull up the power menu but couldn't otherwise interact so had to do a hard reset. Something similar happened earlier today too. Might need to be more careful about how many apps I'm running.
Not normal but it can happen (it's like asking if it's normal for a phone/console/appliance/car/etc to lock up). If it's consistent it could be a hardware defect or something with the software, either with some particular app(s) or the OS itself. If it keeps happening try doing an erase and restore (restoring from backup vs starting clean may make a difference as well), and if that doesn't work get it exchanged.

yogloo

Yah. Jot pro is still far from Wacom stylus. But I think it's the best you can get for an iPad right now if sketching is what you want to do.
You can't even adjust brush size as far as I know with paper. Are they even comparable?

japtor

You can't even adjust brush size as far as I know with paper. Are they even comparable?
It's more comparable to Penultimate personally, with a fancier UI and a lot more tools available, but still really simplified vs most drawing apps. Depending on what someone is comfortable with that's not necessarily a bad thing, like I could see SketchBook being overwhelming or at least just being overkill for many.

yogloo

I agree. A comparison with penultimate is more reasonable. Sketchbook is a full blown art app. Paper is more like a note talking app as of now.

Man Apple are killing me with this shipping!

I'm still waiting!

I've got:

1) Dark Grey iPad Smart Case
2) Cool Bananas Bulletproof Cary Case
3) Protect-Your-Bubble Insurance (theft, accidental damage, water damage, etc)
4) Microfiber cloth

All of that and no iPad yet!

:(

kaskade

It's more comparable to Penultimate personally, with a fancier UI and a lot more tools available, but still really simplified vs most drawing apps. Depending on what someone is comfortable with that's not necessarily a bad thing, like I could see SketchBook being overwhelming or at least just being overkill for many.
I tried out sketchbook(free version) and I kind of felt that way. I like the simplicity of paper even though some people find it a little lacking. I'm not really good at drawing but the free tool sketches look alright.

Is there really a difference between a cheap stylus for like 10 bucks vs a 30 dollar one?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's a good iPad to Mac screen extender?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You should never need to worry about how many apps you're running, the OS is supposed to take care of all that. Ascension has been a glitchy program but the way the app sandbox works it shouldn't be able to crash the iPad as a whole. I've never had a crash that required a hard reset.

Reclaimer

Paper is nice but is it better than SketchBook Pro for $4.99? Sketchbook looks way nicer in terms of feature...

Paper is neat, but Sketchbook is nicer in almost every way. Honestly, even the undo in Sketchbook is nicer. A simple double tap in the lower left hand corner to undo. Simple, and works great.

If you don't want all the features of Sketchbook, just use the free version of it. Or the free version of Paper.

Majine

Banned
I got an iPhone recently and after having used it for awhile, I realized I'd rather do everything I do on an iPad (except calling and texting ofcourse). It's just a more fun experience. Everything on iPhone feels so crammed.

Talon

I got an iPhone recently and after having used it for awhile, I realized I'd rather do everything I do on an iPad (except calling and texting ofcourse). It's just a more fun experience. Everything on iPhone feels so crammed.
Seriously. Oddly enough, it has me considering a switch to another platform. I'd consider the Lumia 900 if the screen was higher res.

If the new iphone this year has a bigger screen it will be good, depends on how they approach it as I personally like the small size compared to current bigger android phones.

4VD44.jpg

295SR.jpg

LSJxA.jpg

qdKP0.jpg

PROS AND CONS:

+ The cheapest eye-level iPad stand at $54.95 plus shipping.
+ Sturdy, quality aluminum construction.
+ Up to 3 feet of adjustable arm length.
+ Easy to remove from table/desk and set back up once you find a comfortable locked position.
+ The mini-universal attachment accommodates an iPad with a case (as well as any other tablet or e-reader).
  • - The mini-universal attachment does NOT support a vertical portrait orientation for the iPad--it will slide right out. Choose the iPad 1 or iPad 2/3 attachment for that--but then you will need to remove any case.
  • - The stand wobbles a bit when you touch the screen, and this can be disorienting while reading. I fixed this by leaning a heavy book against the vise arm, which reduced the wobble factor to nearly zero.
  • - You must loosen/tighten each arm joint to reposition it--this is not a tension spring arm that is instantly adjustable.

OVERALL, I am very pleased with the SnakeClamp! It's a "best buy" for this kind of stand at $55 plus shipping. Just be aware that you want the iPad 2/3 attachment if you would like to use both portrait and landscape orientations.

That is probably the ugliest design product for iPad... wow I would never want one of those.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You should never need to worry about how many apps you're running, the OS is supposed to take care of all that. Ascension has been a glitchy program but the way the app sandbox works it shouldn't be able to crash the iPad as a whole. I've never had a crash that required a hard reset.

Hm, ok I'll have to keep an eye out. If I get another crash anywhere it's back to the store, but so far so good. It wasn't really a crash per se just a really weird glitch/lockup which is why I thought maybe Ascension was to blame (though Ascension has never done the same for me in many hours on my Touch.

Top Bottom