• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Aiii

So not worth it
Wasn't there a ram increase?bare people seeing eg safari hold onto pages for longer before needing to refresh compared to iPad 2?

Yes 512 to 1024 in the iPad 3. It's quite the difference. Pages load significantly quicker as well.

I esp notice it on pages like an animated wrestling gif tumblr i frequently visit. Used to take minutes and all gifs would run slowly even after loading. After several pages on the tumblr Safari would crash.

Now it nearly instaloads, runs smoothly and no crashes. Very impressive.

Synless

Not worth it despite the thread hyperbole. Why? It's heavier, hotter, wifi issues, shorter battery life, not faster. The only gain is the resolution and LTE.

I'm coming from an ipad 2 that I gave to my girl and honestly I could've waited another year and got a better cpu, etc.

It's like a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is nice, but if you're not planning on upgrading every year then wait for the fourth generation which will bring performance improvements.

I wish I would have seen this earlier, I sold it to them and they are heading back to Chicago. Oh well... I kinda thought this would be the case. Although, I thought the battery life was rated the same.

Not worth it despite the thread hyperbole. Why? It's heavier, hotter, wifi issues, shorter battery life, not faster. The only gain is the resolution and LTE.

I'm coming from an ipad 2 that I gave to my girl and honestly I could've waited another year and got a better cpu, etc.

It's like a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is nice, but if you're not planning on upgrading every year then wait for the fourth generation which will bring performance improvements.

Coming from no tablet (like me) or an iPad 1 it's worth it, but from an iPad 2 I fully agree its not worth it. The screen is really the only upgrade, the increase in gpu and ram are there just so the new iPad running the higher res isn't slower then the iPad 2. The fact there was no bump to quad core CPU says a lot.

MontTrain

Banned
Whilst i agree that maybe too many "flaws" were accepted in making the new screen, considering the iPad is pretty much just an interactive display it's hard to go back. As the ad says when you have a screen this good everything you love is better

Although the next iPad will probably be the sweet spot in regards to performance, form factor and awesome display.

VPhys

The screen is the most important part of the entire device. I consider it a significant upgrade over the iPad 2. Ive owned for the record an ipad2, transformer prime, and now the new iPad. I also use voice dictation all the time and couldn't go back typing 24/7.

WTF!!!!!

Apple didn't wipe my first iPad replacement, I see it in the Apple warehouse using my iCloud.com login

XuRzy.jpg

MontTrain

Banned
Next year will always be the year.

Which is why I'm always happy to sell the old one and upgrade on launch for a few hundred dollars each year. Although there has to come some point in the future when it has pretty much everything hardware wise and it's only very incremental

RedAssedApe

Banned
Which is why I'm always happy to sell the old one and upgrade on launch for a few hundred dollars each year. Although there has to come some point in the future when it has pretty much everything hardware wise and it's only very incremental

I'd argue its already hit that point. iPad 1 still holds up very well.

Quick

Banned
WTF!!!!!

Apple didn't wipe my first iPad replacement, I see it in the Apple warehouse using my iCloud.com login

http://i.imgur.com/XuRzy.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Haha, oh wow. Maybe they do the reset in the factory?

Like people said, just remote wipe it if it's still there in a day or two if you want them to see the message. What did you end up writing, by the way?

Haha, oh wow. Maybe they do the reset in the factory?

Like people said, just remote wipe it if it's still there in a day or two if you want them to see the message. What did you end up writing, by the way?

Why was this iPad not reset? *facepalm* - Steve Jobs

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
At my dudes house playing with his iPad one. The screen honestly is still really nice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tweetbot users: Is there a way to get the app to give you push notifications for certian things (like mentions)?

The battery life is a shocker. I played some game last night. Battery percentage was at 70 when I started. Played 2 hours? This morning; noted that it had 9% left. Then I got a new zinio mag -started the DL; not even 2 minutes later; its @ 4% and I had to run to find the charger.

fse

The battery life is a shocker. I played some game last night. Battery percentage was at 70 when I started. Played 2 hours? This morning; noted that it had 9% left. Then I got a new zinio mag -started the DL; not even 2 minutes later; its @ 4% and I had to run to find the charger.

Shocker as in bad?

Yaska

Have you checked wether or not you have bluetooth on? Mine loses about 2% a night, and I use it heavily. Usually get near to that 10 hours. Wi-fi here tho.

Yaska

Also disabling 3G for the night (if applies) might be a good battery saver.

Also one can use those camera adapters (USB) to use usb keyboards (worked with ipad2) with Safari (didn't test other apps)

MasLegio

Banned
for gods sake....

why the fuck can I not attach photos to a reply email?
Apples software is so basic and so fucking primitive it baffles me...

you have to find replacement apps for basically every fucking function on the iPad

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yes. I was shocked at how quickly it ran down. I've owned both an ipad1+2 and this is unthinkable. It just sucks out the battery like there's not tomorrow.

Something wrong with yours then. My kids are off for Easter so between them in shifts they are on the iPad all day pretty much, playing games usually. By the time I get my hands on it around 9pm, it's down to 10%. Will usually last the evening and I put it on charge before going to bed. Other than my kindle, I don't know any other electronic device that will last an entire day of use.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd argue its already hit that point. iPad 1 still holds up very well.

Coming from my iPad 1, I disagree completely. I mainly use the iPad for web browsing and web browsing on the iPad 1 is terrible. It's slow, pictures don't always load, and Safari crashing is a regular thing. It's a miracle when you can have two tabs open without one reloading.

japtor

Is this new iPad worth the upgrade? Hyperbole aside. I want to sell my iPad 2 to my brother-in-law and was looking at speed tests and it appears to be slower. How accurate is this? How are the framerates in the games with the retina update? I only ask because I see it uses the same CPU.
The RAM helps in browsing and in general for multitasking (apps stay in memory longer), but otherwise it's pretty similar. 3D games may take a hit but so far it doesn't seem to be a big deal, IB2 runs in some mid resolution though iirc, like it's higher res than the iPad then scaled up to fit the screen. Games that aren't updated could get a boost from the extra GPU power though. And one extra plus is that iPhone stuff runs at 960x640 rather than 480x320, so if you have any iPhone apps they'll look much better.

For now at least I'd say the iPad 2 is still fine, but the new iPad is noticeably better, although it varies depending on what you do with it. Like anything involving reading text (browsing, viewing documents, reading, etc) it's much better. For other stuff the performance is generally a push, but the extra RAM definitely helps. Oh and if you ever use the camera for scanning documents...well you can do it now (such as with this "scanning rig"!), vs being unusable before cause the resolution.

I say "for now" because for all we know there'll be some new iPad only stuff in iOS 6 taking advantage of the extra memory or some arbitrary new iPad only stuff, like iPhone retina apps and dictation (which may or may not be useful for you).
At my dudes house playing with his iPad one. The screen honestly is still really nice.
Tried viewing websites in portrait without zooming?

Aiii

So not worth it
for gods sake....

why the fuck can I not attach photos to a reply email?
Apples software is so basic and so fucking primitive it baffles me...

you have to find replacement apps for basically every fucking function on the iPad

Copy/Paste it.

There you go.

Aiii

So not worth it
Personally it would have been nicer to have an attach button and a link to the photo roll.

But yeah, copy and paste is there

It doesn't really matter to me personally. I find it no different then browsing to a picture on a regular computer. I figured they chose to do it this way so you can control the location of the pic in the mail without adding some elaborate way that has you drag the picture around or something.

Who knows, it works and it's not much more effort then clicking a button and navigating to the pic there.

Which of these are you using?

1. Bluetooth (Uses a lot of batter)
2. Location Services on all apps (Uses more battery than bluetooth)
3. Brightness over 50% (Uses the most battery)
4. Setting Time Zone update setting (Uses some battery)
5. Location Based iAds setting (Uses battery whenever Apps with Ads is open)
6. Diagnostics & Useage setting (Uses Battery 24/7)
7. Compass Calibration (Uses battery whenever Maps or Apps using Maps is open)
8. Camera Apps open in background (uses battery even if App is closed but in taskbar)

Blackhead

Redarse
RiverofNews keeps crashing on start up :(

It doesn't really matter to me personally. I find it no different then browsing to a picture on a regular computer. I figured they chose to do it this way so you can control the location of the pic in the mail without adding some elaborate way that has you drag the picture around or something.

Who knows, it works and it's not much more effort then clicking a button and navigating to the pic there.
It should be in there by default. Many apps have the camera button for attaching pictures—including Apple's Messages app. There is no reason to look around for excuses to defend Apple's decisions here. The Messages app supports both methods for adding pictures.
The iPad 3 jailbreak can't come soon enough.
Yeah, it's so limited right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
It should be in there by default. Many apps have the camera button for attaching pictures—including Apple's Messages app. There is no reason to look around for excuses to defend Apple's decisions here. The Messages app supports both methods for adding pictures.

Ah I see. Sorry I personally couldn't care less that I have to navigate and copy/paste instead of clicking a button and navigating. Really no need to get mad or play the "you'rw just looking for excuses you silly Apple fanboy"-card, I was simply conveying my opinion on the matter.

jts

...hate me...
Nevermind pictures, what about attaching iWork docs. Ughh. Apple, get your shit straight dammit.

MasLegio

Banned
timezone setting as a location service is active all the time if you look in the settings. Waste of battery, turn it off.
purple arrow = active = drains battery

I don't want to get stuck in this.

But from an email it's a two button TOPS process.

If you are in the middle of composing the email, navigate to photos, copy then paste and back to the email = much more effort

But notably easier from the photo roll

MasLegio

Banned
stupid question but... can you attach files/images to an ipad email?

you can attach an email to images and files easily

going the other way is more "difficult"

not sure if you even can copy files into an email. If not it is impossible to reply to mails requesting files. Instead you have to create a new mail from the app handling the file you wish to send.

Top Bottom