• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Nevasleep

How do you highlight spoilers on the GAF boards with the iPad? Is that even possible?
There is a JavaScript bookmark-thingy, which you save as a favourite, and then it'll reveal all the spoilers.

Hopefully somebody will post it, or was there a thread about it yesterday?

GJS

if it reveals all spoilers then it defeats the purpose of it

It's supposed to be a toggle bookmarklet, so just zoom in on the spoiler before using it and toggle it off before zooming out.

I think there is one bookmarklet that enables click to view as well.

On another note has anyone in the UK ordered an iPad recently? Is there really still a 1-2 week lag time before dispatch?

NYR

WTF!!!!!

Apple didn't wipe my first iPad replacement, I see it in the Apple warehouse using my iCloud.com login

XuRzy.jpg

It's not like they won't delete it once they refurbish it.

On your iDevice, you just slide to the left on top of the device to delete it, just like how you would delete anything else from a list.

japtor

Re: spoilers
Highlight it and speak!
like this shit right here, yeah baby

If you don't have a speak thing, go to Settings-General-Accessibility-Speak Selection and turn it on.

plc268

So, I've given up trying to find a case for my ipad, so I'm going with the skin + smart cover route. Not really worried about drop protection, but I do want scratch protection.

So, I ordered a black carbon fiber skin from icarbons.com and a skin for the smart cover (to match), and I think I'll just leave it at that. The skins are a bit pricey, but they look to be good quality.

galvatron

Re: spoilers
Highlight it and speak!
like this shit right here, yeah baby

If you don't have a speak thing, go to Settings-General-Accessibility-Speak Selection and turn it on.

Thanks so much. Now I can just use full-screen dolphin HD browsing instead of having to open safari to use the bookmarklet.

Use the web app and just click on the spoiler. I use the web app over the desktop version on my iPad everyday. Dark theme is superior and the embedded YouTube videos are great too.

kr2t0s

I've been wanting to support instapaper - you know, 1 man versus the evil readability but I've had enough. Tired of saving articles and then going to read them and seeing extra pages at the end of the article full of links, YouTube, comments, etc.

This is the original article I was wanting to read:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-05/thorsten-heins-into-rims-ring-of-fire

In instapaper it is all sorts of a mess. In readability it is nice and clean (although seems to be missing the very last enumerated list...).

I want to take the moral high road but I'm switching over to readability. I wouldn't mind safaris reading list but tweetbot seems to not support it, so it's immediately kicked out.

/rant over

I've been wanting to support instapaper - you know, 1 man versus the evil readability but I've had enough. Tired of saving articles and then going to read them and seeing extra pages at the end of the article full of links, YouTube, comments, etc.

This is the original article I was wanting to read:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-05/thorsten-heins-into-rims-ring-of-fire

In instapaper it is all sorts of a mess. In readability it is nice and clean (although seems to be missing the very last enumerated list...).

I want to take the moral high road but I'm switching over to readability. I wouldn't mind safaris reading list but tweetbot seems to not support it, so it's immediately kicked out.

/rant over

I agree readability is much better for reading

I'm looking for some longer USB cables than the ones Apple supplies. Is there anything special with regard to the power supply that I need to be aware of? I thought I read that the new iPad's included USB cable is somehow different than the ones that have been coming with iPhones/iPods for the last several years.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm looking for some longer USB cables than the ones Apple supplies. Is there anything special with regard to the power supply that I need to be aware of? I thought I read that the new iPad's included USB cable is somehow different than the ones that have been coming with iPhones/iPods for the last several years.
Nope, it's the same 30-pin dock connector that works with all the other Apple stuff. If you want quality ones that are longer, get them from Monoprice. What you've read is that the internal cable that connects the display to the motherboard is different, understandable since it's a much higher resolution display.

coldfoot

Banned
Is spending an additional $100 for an iPad 3 16GB Wifi for the AppleCare support is worth it?

No, spend the extra $100 to get the 32GB version.
Unlike laptops, iOS devices don't have fans, mechanical hard drives, or hinges. Those are all moving parts that can break and are the most common reasons for warranty repairs.
Check the screen after you buy and as long as you don't have any dead pixels, you're good to go.

Nope, it's the same 30-pin dock connector that works with all the other Apple stuff. If you want quality ones that are longer, get them from Monoprice. What you've read is that the internal cable that connects the display to the motherboard is different, understandable since it's a much higher resolution display.

Thanks!

Do you (or anybody) have any specific recommendations on a 6-10 foot cable from Monoprice? I've had a few hits but several misses in terms of quality from that site...I'd rather order something based on a recommendation.

No, spend the extra $100 to get the 32GB version.
Unlike laptops, iOS devices don't have fans, mechanical hard drives, or hinges. Those are all moving parts that can break and are the most common reasons for warranty repairs.
Check the screen after you buy and as long as you don't have any dead pixels, you're good to go.

Pretty much.

Any issue that could go wrong which is supported by iPad will be noticed soon out of the box and you have a one year warranty that will cover it.

TxdoHawk

Weird question: Anyone notice any weird graphical glitches in the iPad Facebook app on the new iPads? I saw a thin vertical black line flicker in and out of existence at one point when the app popped open, and wasn't sure if it was the app or my screen. Haven't seen it since.

Pretty much.

Any issue that could go wrong which is supported by iPad will be noticed soon out of the box and you have a one year warranty that will cover it.

Although the new applecare+ includes two replacements which could come in handy if you drop your iPad or it gets ruined some other way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
me long-bewaited impressions of my first two weeks w/ the ipad, and my first week with a tablet of any sort:

CONS
-heavier than i thought it would be when you are frequently using it. definitely not made for one-handing but everyone knows that.
-tougher to get a truly comfortable holding position for each app. really depends on the UI and they vary drastically. if i'm bouncing around through different apps i'll definitely have lots of awkward figuring-out-how-best-to-hold-it moments.
-now i can join the annoying chorus of "more apps need retina!" Several apps look quite fugly on here, but thankfully uptake of retina seems to be getting pretty good -- it's not overly common that I have to bail on an app just because it's so ugly.

PROS
-Apple GAF was right hotness not really an issue. Have been mostly playing games and browsing web so maybe that would change with lots of video but haven't noticed heat problems at all.
-Gaming on here is AMAZING! No not the wannabe console stuff that gets a lot of the attention, but strategy and board gaming. It has now become a tradition for me to bust out the iPad at the end of game night for a quick game of Carcassonne -- previously we used to have issues finding a game to play when we only had 20-30m left but now there are tons of choices. I'll say that the put-the-ipad-in-the-middle-of-the-table-and-pretend-it's-a-board-game move isn't perfect (screen is still too small and hard to see information if you're at a bad angle so the ipad winds up moving around anyway) but it's quite functional. Pass & play (more for 2p games) is very very good.
-Web browsing and little productivity/helper apps are great. Even the stupid comcast dvr app is so much more convenient to bust out on a whim. I've just started scratching the surface in this area I feel (frankly most of my iPad time has been on gaming).

NEITHER
-Battery life is right about where I expected it to be. At first my experience was amazing, but that was before I downloaded all my apps and was getting like 60+ notifications per day and also doing more power-usery stuff. Let's just say I've bought an extra cable for work as well as a juice pack for long trips.

All in all a very good experience. Looking forward to continuing to explore new uses for this, such as a video player and the productivity stuff mentioned above, as well as maybe some social uses.

dc89

Owned a iPad 2 for around 6 months before selling it on eBay and funding my new iPad purchase.

The pro's far out weigh the extra weight. The screen is just essential now, I can't go back and look at my GF's iPad 2. You just get used to being able to read a web page such as GAF in vertical orientation without zooming in. Looks a bit of a mess on the iPad 2 tbh.

Weight is not a issue for me. And yes I've noticed this one gets a bit warmer, but it's a non-issue. I can easily see me keeping this iPad for a few years easily.

coldfoot

Banned
Just discovered the 4-5 finger multitouch swipe gestures, although they're described right there on the settings screen lol. It's really convenient to switch between apps with 4 finger swipes to left,right.

The Verge reviewed some styli for the iPad.

Scores and verdict:
Wacom Bamboo Stylus 8.6/10
Pogo Sketch Plus (1st generation) 5/10
Studio Neat Cosmonaut 8.3/10
AmazonBasics Stylus 6.7/10
JustMobile AluPen 8.4/10
Kensington Virtuoso Stylus/Pen 8/10
SGP Kuel H10 8.3/10
Adonit Jot Pro 8.5/10
Griffin GC16040 6.4/10

The Verdict

If you're purchasing a stylus so you can write notes on your iPad, you're going to be disappointed. None of the styli I tested had narrow enough tips to provide the agility to scrawl anything but quick notes, doodles, and scribbles. But, if you're interested in drawing with apps like Paper, you can't go wrong with a few of these options. The Wacom Bamboo Stylus, with its combination of sleek looks, small tip, and great responsiveness is our winner for everyday use. If you're serious about writing on your iPad, the Adonit Jot Pro is the clear choice, while you'll have to be pretty careful with it. If you break the plastic disc on your Adonit, you'll have to wait for a replacement. The Kuel H10 is a fantastic and tiny won't-mind-if-you-lose-it stylus, while the Cosmonaut is unbeatable for diagramming or writing flash cards. These styli will do you just fine — at least until the Blue Tiger comes out.

Writing: adonit jot pro
diagramming: studio neat cosmonaut
Quick scribbling: SGP Kuel h10
All-around: wacom bamboo
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i know everyone was saying no no don't get the 64 but honestly i'm glad i did. and i don't even plan on putting much video or any music on it

I didn't even consider getting anything less than the 64GB version and I'm glad I did. It is easy to start filling it up when you have video, apps, games, music, and photos.

I'm picking up my replacement iPad tonight from the Apple Store. Battery issues continue to confound me, dropping 8-10% over night while on standby. Hoping this will solve the issue. I'll report back when I've had a chance to test.

effzee

I am not sure where this question goes but I am having some trouble with using my IPAD2 to read an e-book I downloaded to my Kindle Cloud account.

I can access it on my laptop (not a mac) but I can't seem to find it on the IPAD. I downloaded the Amazon and Kindle apps, signed into my account, but still don't see it.

HELP!

Downloaded all the apps I found that looked interesting and I've only used 1GB. I think the 16GB plenty for me. Hope that doesn't change going forward.

Enco

I am not sure where this question goes but I am having some trouble with using my IPAD2 to read an e-book I downloaded to my Kindle Cloud account.

I can access it on my laptop (not a mac) but I can't seem to find it on the IPAD. I downloaded the Amazon and Kindle apps, signed into my account, but still don't see it.

HELP!
Should be a 'Cloud' option on the bottom left. Click that and you can download your books form the cloud.

The kindle app is amazing. Especially with the page sync feature. Too bad the page turning animation is slow as fuck.

In other news, the iPad is going great. It won't replace anything I have but it complements my iPhone, MB Air, desktop and Kindle well. The 5 things that I hold very close to me.

LCfiner

The Verge reviewed some styli for the iPad.

Scores and verdict:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

I know this is going to sound stupid but I just use my finger and hold my thumb under my index finger as if I was holding a pen in between (of zero thickness, of course). I find that this slight thumb bracing brace is enough for me to believe I’m using a pen or marker with my index finger and I get enough fidelity on the ipad screen to keep doing this.

My handwriting looks and flows like my normal handwriting by doing this. and my little doodles look about the same as they would if i were using a medium tipped pen

maybe everyone does this but whenever I see videos of people using their fingers to write or sketch, it never shows the thumb in position, mimicking the pen grip. when I just use my index finger alone, it feels weird and my writing/ sketching never looks or feels right.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone use the HDMI adapter with the new iPad? What resolution does it display? How do you see the main OS menu and etc, at what resolution?

AEREC

Ive got a question about hooking my new iPad up to my computer via bluetooth for sound.

Basically...is this possible?

I have a bluetooth receiver that I have on my PC and Ive paired the iPad with it but Im not really sure what to do next in regards to audio.

plc268

I know this is going to sound stupid but I just use my finger and hold my thumb under my index finger as if I was holding a pen in between (of zero thickness, of course). I find that this slight thumb bracing brace is enough for me to believe I’m using a pen or marker with my index finger and I get enough fidelity on the ipad screen to keep doing this.

My handwriting looks and flows like my normal handwriting by doing this. and my little doodles look about the same as they would if i were using a medium tipped pen

maybe everyone does this but whenever I see videos of people using their fingers to write or sketch, it never shows the thumb in position, mimicking the pen grip. when I just use my index finger alone, it feels weird and my writing/ sketching never looks or feels right.

Lol, why the hell have I never thought of this? I feel like an idiot now trying to write with a single index finger.

Top Bottom