• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Patriots7

iPad-GAF,

Do I just not understand the allure of tablets? I bought an iPad a few months ago, and unfortunately I am contemplating selling it already. I love the hardware and the idea of a tablet, but just couldn't really find a use for it. I initially used it for July and Netflix, but have gone back to using my MacBook instead. Google Play Books is typically easier to use on either my MacBook when sitting down, or my phone when traveling.

I'm leaving Android soon for an iPhone 5, so I'll still have access to the wonderful Apple ecosystem.

I guess I'm just wondering if there are any others who are struggling to find a use for a tablet in their life? (Actually debating getting a chrome book or an ultra book as a replacement)

Whelp, my wife was at Target yesterday, and told me they had that $40 gift card deal on the new iPad, so I told her to pick one up for me. I didn't want to wait any longer for that better screen, and the additional tweaks to the 4th gen model were just enough to push me over the edge.

I had some second guessing before I opened it this morning, but the moment I saw that screen again my doubts where gone. Having a screen with the same quality as my iPhone but at 10 inches is just amazing. Once you get used to this sharpness you just can't go back.

iPad-GAF,

Do I just not understand the allure of tablets? I bought an iPad a few months ago, and unfortunately I am contemplating selling it already. I love the hardware and the idea of a tablet, but just couldn't really find a use for it. I initially used it for July and Netflix, but have gone back to using my MacBook instead. Google Play Books is typically easier to use on either my MacBook when sitting down, or my phone when traveling.

I'm leaving Android soon for an iPhone 5, so I'll still have access to the wonderful Apple ecosystem.

I guess I'm just wondering if there are any others who are struggling to find a use for a tablet in their life? (Actually debating getting a chrome book or an ultra book as a replacement)

To me the allure of a tablet has always been a lightweight, non heat dispersing, no noisy fan having, great battery life, internet browsing device. Basically all the things a laptop does that I don't like, when I just want to sit on the couch, or in bed and browse the internet or emails. It's also great for the occasional game.

Owzers

iPad-GAF,

comic reading
bathroom
couch browsing nba/nfl gaf while watching nba/nfl games.

EDIT: Ipad 4 question: On my ipad 3, when swiping to change pages backwards on comixology i often get a blurry page that has to load instead of a clear page right away, is that still the case on ipad 4 and just a problem with comixology and not ipad 3's processor power?

Tobor

iPad-GAF,

Reading books on a laptop? Yikes.

comic reading
bathroom
couch browsing nba/nfl gaf while watching nba/nfl games.

EDIT: Ipad 4 question: On my ipad 3, when swiping to change pages backwards on comixology i often get a blurry page that has to load instead of a clear page right away, is that still the case on ipad 4 and just a problem with comixology and not ipad 3's processor power?

I don't remember ever having issue with the iPad 3 let alone iPad 4

Crap!

It looks like Apple has finally locked out the original version of the VLC multi-format media player. I nabbed it before it was pulled and use it all the time. It does not run on the iPad 4 (worked on the 3 no problem).

Crap.

Owzers

I don't remember ever having issue with the iPad 3 let alone iPad 4

it's like texture loading for Gears of War/other games. When in single page view and swiping to go backwards, the page has to load, whereas swiping forward it doesn't. I've seen this every now and again on my touchpad, especially when viewing photos, but not to this extent with comixology comics.

like this:

GEDC0007-1.jpg
[/IMG]

NYR

What da....

Ordered my new iPad 4 at 1:30 AM last Friday morning and I won't get it until next Tuesday. Very lame.

I LIED!

Got my iPad 4 last night. Wasn't all good, my iTunes backup was corrupt, even though I literally just made it from my 3 moments before I plugged in my 4. Tried multple times, ended up temp-bricking my 4 to where it had to be plugged into iTunes for a factory restore.

Decided to enter the 21st century and used iCloud for the first time to restore a iDevice. HOLY SHIT, was flawless. Didn't install apps off the App Store like VLC, but luckily, I had local backups of the apps I was missing and was able to install them! Score!

Only thing that sucks is re-downloading all those apps - 10 GIGs, took forever.

Crap!

It looks like Apple has finally locked out the original version of the VLC multi-format media player. I nabbed it before it was pulled and use it all the time. It does not run on the iPad 4 (worked on the 3 no problem).

Crap.
It's not working? Mine is, the app loads and everything - I haven't loaded any media yet, though. And it's not Apple, the app likely doesn't work anymore for the new device and software.

There are other multi-format video players.

Such as? What is the best?

got myself the ipad 4..my first ipad. love it.

is there an ipad app recommendations thread? i couldnt find it. i bought some kids books and also downloaded flipboard. looking for more visual stuff to add to my ipad.

theres also some life sciences app i see all the time on ipad advertisements but i cant figure out what it is. anyone have an idea? i remember seeing a screenshot of a dinosaur with text and also had a video embedded in the layout.

it's like texture loading for Gears of War/other games. When in single page view and swiping to go backwards, the page has to load, whereas swiping forward it doesn't. I've seen this every now and again on my touchpad, especially when viewing photos, but not to this extent with comixology comics.

like this:

GEDC0007-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I see what your saying, I can say I seen any issue with that as everything loads almost instantly

Owzers

I see what your saying, I can say I seen any issue with that as everything loads almost instantly

For one last nit-picky question: It takes about half a second or less for the comic to load when going backwards, and instantly going forward. When you say almost instantly...is that about the same for you? It's a minor annoyance/jarring to my eyes to flip back a page and have it be out of focus even if it's just half a second, it's easier to tell from that picture i took since i was dragging the pages backwards and holding it there instead of a quick swipe in which it would then focus in about half a sec.

Thanks for the answers btw!

JDeluis

got myself the ipad 4..my first ipad. love it.

is there an ipad app recommendations thread? i couldnt find it. i bought some kids books and also downloaded flipboard. looking for more visual stuff to add to my ipad.

theres also some life sciences app i see all the time on ipad advertisements but i cant figure out what it is. anyone have an idea? i remember seeing a screenshot of a dinosaur with text and also had a video embedded in the layout.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448523

bob page

I have some accessories for sale if anyone's interested:

-Official Apple VGA connector cable - $14
-Official Apple smart cover (gray poly) - $18
-Belkin iPad Sleeve (black, has inner padding + outside pocket) - $10

You can buy these with purchase of any other accessories:
-1x Front screen protector (unused) - $2
-1x Front Invisible Shield (unused) - $5
-Hard plastic shell back case (black) - $6

Ive had one issue with my ipad 4 that I didnt have with the 3. Sometimes my wifi goes out and have to turn it off then on, on the ipad to get it working again. The lightning connector is tiny but charges pretty fast, its charged 50% in an hour, ill see what it takes to get to a full 100% though.

dwebo

Ive had one issue with my ipad 4 that I didnt have with the 3. Sometimes my wifi goes out and have to turn it off then on, on the ipad to get it working again. The lightning connector is tiny but charges pretty fast, its charged 50% in an hour, ill see what it takes to get to a full 100% though.

yeah my wifi went out once randomly on the first day while browsing. reconnected within a few seconds though, so I didn't have to do anything. might just need a patch like with the iphone5

also, no idea how yours charged 50% in an hour, as that's still ~20whr to fill with a 12w charger. I charged from 50% on friday and it was going up maybe ~15-20% an hour, though I didn't keep a close eye on it

edit: I'm actually back down to around 50% with 9hr usage (web browsing, video) and 1d8hr of standby. most of that was spent with the auto brightness at the default setting of around 25%, and the initial drop from 100 to 99 took about an hour, but still - quite pleased with the battery life so far

edit2: after thinking those numbers were abnormally high, I found out the network file browser app I'd been using keeps ticking usage time after putting the ipad into sleep (up to ~10min), so disregard the previous

dwebo

is nobody else seeing this adaptive contrast thing? was just watching the snl skit linked on the verge in full screen, and this was the first time I really noticed it actively happening to the video, and not just the interface elements afterwards

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/4/3598302/snl-social-media-twitter-facebook-obama-romney

watch it in full screen. there's a very (imo) noticeable contrast shift on seth's face as it kicks in within a few seconds. back out to the home screen after it does and you should see the overblown interface as well. it can't be an issue with my specific unit, as it's happening in far too controlled and repeatable of a manner. at least give me a fucking toggle for it, apple

is nobody else seeing this adaptive contrast thing? was just watching the snl skit linked on the verge in full screen, and this was the first time I really noticed it actively happening to the video, and not just the interface elements afterwards

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/4/3598302/snl-social-media-twitter-facebook-obama-romney

watch it in full screen. there's a very (imo) noticeable contrast shift on seth's face as it kicks in within a few seconds. back out to the home screen after it does and you should see the overblown interface as well. it can't be an issue with my specific unit, as it's happening in far too controlled and repeatable of a manner. at least give me a fucking toggle for it, apple

I'm not seeing anything like you describe. The screen on my 4 seems to behave just like my 2, just a whole lot sharper.

I didn't get what you described

dwebo

yeah, I can't get it now either. the video is much lower res than earlier when I could trigger it without fail, so maybe that had something to do with it. or I'm just going fucking crazy

whatever! don't mind my ramblings

yeah my wifi went out once randomly on the first day while browsing. reconnected within a few seconds though, so I didn't have to do anything. might just need a patch like with the iphone5

also, no idea how yours charged 50% in an hour, as that's still ~20whr to fill with a 12w charger. I charged from 50% on friday and it was going up maybe ~15-20% an hour, though I didn't keep a close eye on it

edit: I'm actually back down to around 50% with 9hr usage (web browsing, video) and 1d8hr of standby. most of that was spent with the auto brightness at the default setting of around 25%, and the initial drop from 100 to 99 took about an hour, but still - quite pleased with the battery life so far

edit2: after thinking those numbers were abnormally high, I found out the network file browser app I'd been using keeps ticking usage time after putting the ipad into sleep (up to ~10min), so disregard the previous

My girlfriend also got her 4 on Friday and she hasn't even taken the charger out of the box, she's used it on and off all weekend, mostly reading books and web surfing. Hers is still at 23%, I believe her brightness is at 25% though. I leave my brightness at almost max and still get around 6 hours with heavy gaming, video, and web surfing. Would turning the brightness down save a lot of battery or just a little?

dwebo

a lot. a whole hell of a lot. the retina display is the largest power draw by far, especially now with the more efficient a6x

It feels so good to be back in retina land.

E: also, SO FAST. Sure, everything would feel fast after coming from an OG iPad, but it's still so good!

I can't wait for a jailbreak. It's crazy how much of a difference a disabled lock screen makes. It's so incredibly useless on the iPad and they don't even give you the option to disable it.

Is the charging plug supposed to get really warm when charging the 4th gen iPad?

I've never noted this while charging my iPad 2, but I just touched the plug after it's been charging my 4 for a couple hours and it's very warm. Nearly hot.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Against my better judgement, I installed iOS 6. Goddamn it sucks. I thought, well, the Youtube app sucks anyway, Jasmine can't be any worse. Oh, wait, it is way worse.

Seriously, no way to have the video play while looking at comments or related videos or more videos?

The iPhone youtube app is terrible on an iPad too. This sucks.

Against my better judgement, I installed iOS 6. Goddamn it sucks. I thought, well, the Youtube app sucks anyway, Jasmine can't be any worse. Oh, wait, it is way worse.

Seriously, no way to have the video play while looking at comments or related videos or more videos?

The iPhone youtube app is terrible on an iPad too. This sucks.

theres also mctube which is pretty good though youll have to pay to get the "pro" one with 1080p

i use jasmine when i want to watch a long video and the other one for videos im not concerned about the resolution

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
theres also mctube which is pretty good though youll have to pay to get the "pro" one with 1080p

i use jasmine when i want to watch a long video and the other one for videos im not concerned about the resolution

Ok mctube seems cool. Thanks for the recommendation.

Owzers

are the black levels on the ipad generally considered good? Playing around with my ipad refurb, they seem pretty poor compared to my touchpad. The colors are great though. Getting a small amount of light bleed on the sides of the screen too.

Talon

are the black levels on the ipad generally considered good? Playing around with my ipad refurb, they seem pretty poor compared to my touchpad. The colors are great though. Getting a small amount of light bleed on the sides of the screen too.
Light bleed is not normal at all.

Talon

Quite common on iPads actually. as long as you're not using it for much video watching you can learn to ignore it.
Really? I must be lucky for once! I watch a ton of video on mine in the dark, and I've never noticed it on mine.

And I'm the jackass that got my iPhone 4 replaced for light "lamping" on the edge. That was replacement...2 of 4.

Top Bottom