• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

SuperPac

Anyone else's iPad still hasn't shipped...? Starting to get worried here...

I haven't gotten a shipping email but that'll probably come by morning. They've already shipped anyway - if you search by reference number and put in the phone number on your account you should find it.

Izick

Wow, you almost described my situation exactly.

I was rocking a smartphone, laptop, and Nexus 7 along with my gaming desktop and obviously I didn't have a need for all of it.

Already sold the Nexus 7 (before the price drop :)) and just sold my laptop. Now I'll have a 64gb iPad 4 and my gaming desktop. Really looking forward to the consolidation.

Now Friday needs to get here!

I would very much like to hear your impressions of it when it does.

Reave

I'm still very torn on whether to save some cash by buying a 3rd gen refurb for $379 or cave in and get the 4th gen.

It'll be my first tablet, so I guess I wouldn't really notice the leap in speed if I got the new one, and I'd love to save the extra money if I could. But on the flip side, if I'm gonna dive in, I should go all in... right?

Izick

I'm still very torn on whether to save some cash by buying a 3rd gen refurb for $379 or cave in and get the 4th gen.

It'll be my first tablet, so I guess I wouldn't really notice the leap in speed if I got the new one, and I'd love to save the extra money if I could. But on the flip side, if I'm gonna dive in, I should go all in... right?

One of the bonuses of getting an Apple product, at least for me, is the high resale value. The 3's resale has already taken a hit, and it will only get worse. You might as well get the 4 in my opinion.
-------------------------

Also, so this has no flash right? Is there any way that I could watch videos on sites like spoonyexperiment.com or redlettermedia.com?

One of the bonuses of getting an Apple product, at least for me, is the high resale value. The 3's resale has already taken a hit, and it will only get worse. You might as well get the 4 in my opinion.

Also, so this has no flash right? Is there any way that I could watch videos on sites like spoonyexperiment.com or redlettermedia.com?
Never heard of spoonyexperiment, but you don't need flash for redlettermedia. They use YouTube and YT plays just fine in HTML5.

Fox Mulder

I sold my apple refurbished 32GB wifi ipad 2 for $385 shipped on ebay this week.

Apple stuff holds insane value, and I'm probably going to go with a 3rd gen refurb for $469. I'm okay with being a gen behind on the ipad.

Izick

They still link YouTube mirrors. I'm watching the latest episode of HITB on my iPad right now.

Could you do me a favor and check SpoonyExperiment.com? It used to use Blip, which I think has an iPad app, but now it uses Springboard, so I don't know if you can't watch it or what.

They still link YouTube mirrors. I'm watching the latest episode of HITB on my iPad right now.

I think the Youtube mirror part is new since I don't recall seeing it until the most recent episodes, but the regular embedded Flash videos have been viewable on iOS for ages. They must be in some other container or file format.

smr00

Banned
So IPAD 3 16gb is $450 now and i decided to blow my "non-essentials" budget and pick one up later today.

Anything i need to know in advance? Free APP suggestions? Suggestions on the best comic reader for CBR/CBZ?

th3dude

So IPAD 3 16gb is $450 now and i decided to blow my monthly "non-essentials" budget and pick one up later today.

Anything i need to know in advance? Free APP suggestions? Suggestions on the best comic reader for CBR/CBZ?

Any reason you didn't drop an extra $50 on the 4th gen tomorrow instead?

Addnan

My ipad 4 is supposed to get here on Tuesday, but its been at processing order since Sunday. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

Was tempted to go down to Apple store, but then remembered the mini launches too. Its going to be crazy.

smr00

Banned
Yes.

Same design, same display, same battery life.
Better camera and twice as fast CPU.
So there isn't a huge reason to get it?

I don't want to get the 4th and in 8-12 months the 5th comes that has significant chances like 3 was to 1-2. I mean the CPU seems fast enough and i have a really good Canon DSLR camera, i will never use the ipad to take pictures. I feel like i would rather just get this and use that extra $50 to get a cover and/or itunes card and upgrade when 4th gen comes around because from the sounds of it the differences are significant enough to warrant me spending money because i am already spending what is a lot of money to me, so much so i won't be buying any games, movies or anything other then food for the next 3 paydays which is every 2 weeks.

Even $50 is a decent amount of money to me. This destroys my black friday fund if i want to go socialize for the month lol so i would rather just use that $50 on something else.

So there isn't a huge reason to get it?

I don't want to get the 4th and in 8-12 months the 5th comes that has significant chances like 3 was to 1-2. I mean the CPU seems fast enough and i have a really good Canon DSLR camera, i will never use the ipad to take pictures. I feel like i would rather just get this and use that extra $50 to get a cover and/or itunes card and upgrade when 4th gen comes around because from the sounds of it the differences are significant enough to warrant me spending money because i am already spending what is a lot of money to me, so much so i won't be buying any games, movies or anything other then food for the next 3 paydays which is every 2 weeks.

Even $50 is a decent amount of money to me. This destroys my black friday fund if i want to go socialize for the month lol so i would rather just use that $50 on something else.

Apple is selling the 16 GB iPad 3 (refurbished) for $379.

Fox Mulder

bestbuy.com

$50 price drop.

Honestly, I wouldn't have bought it at that price.

You could have got a 32GB ipad 3 refurbished off Apple's website for $469 with free shipping. Apple refurbs have been great to me, and they're under a year warranty. Mine looked absolutely brand new, and they give them new shells and batteries regardless.

So IPAD 3 16gb is $450 now and i decided to blow my "non-essentials" budget and pick one up later today.

Take it back, get the new one, and get ComicGlass for the CBR/CBZ reader.

Dorpheus

Neo Member
Honestly, I wouldn't have bought it at that price.

You could have got a 32GB ipad 3 refurbished off Apple's website for $469 with free shipping. Apple refurbs have been great to me, and they're under a year warranty.

Minecraft looked absolutely brand new, and they give them new shells and batteries regardless.

I jumped on this deal yesterday. I'm really excited for it to show up next week.

Is there a list somewhere of "must have" apps for iPad? This is my first venture into iOS, so I'll be trying anything and everything. I'll be primarily using it for web browsing, comics, and notetaking.

I jumped on this deal yesterday. I'm really excited for it to show up next week.

Is there a list somewhere of "must have" apps for iPad? This is my first venture into iOS, so I'll be trying anything and everything. I'll be primarily using it for web browsing, comics, and notetaking.

Browser: I prefer the Dolphin UI over Safari.
Comics: Well, Manga, actually. If you're into that, get Manga Rock 2.

Got nothing on notetaking, sorry.

NYR

What da....

Ordered my new iPad 4 at 1:30 AM last Friday morning and I won't get it until next Tuesday. Very lame.

All you guys pre ordering from apple, is there no best buy around you guys? They usually have plenty in stock and you will get it at 8am if you show up at store opening

Just reset both my 3rd gen ipads, just got them a couple weeks ago. Girlfriend is going to bestbuy at 8 am to return them and hopefully snag 2 4th gen models. There isnt a limit 1 per costumer or anything is there?

Reave

Ended up buying a 3rd gen iPad off of eBay today for a shade under $400 shipped. First time tablet buyer.

I guess the thing that tipped the scale for me was app-wise, I don't see any immediate need to upgrade right away -- I'm assuming that devs are going to make sure their apps will run well on the mini, so in terms of processing I think the 3rd gen will be just fine.

I'm not so concerned about the performance boost I'm missing. I figure I won't notice much since this is my first iPad.

Of course a part of me is kinda wishing I could have the current hardware, but I'm fine with trading away seconds of loading times and whatnot for an extra hundred bucks.

Just thought I'd share.

Addnan

All you guys pre ordering from apple, is there no best buy around you guys? They usually have plenty in stock and you will get it at 8am if you show up at store opening
Would love to have, but I am in the UK and have no idea what stores other than Apple stocks on release date. Plus my bank seems to hate any charges over £400, need to go through so many phone call :/

I pre-ordered about half an hour after they opened them.

Ordered On Oct 26, 2012
Processing Items Available to ship: 1 week Delivers 08 Nov, 2012

Ordered On 28-Oct-2012
Processing Items Dispatched: 1 week Delivers 06 Nov, 2012

I don't even know how they plan to dispatch mine in 1 week and get it here in 4 days.

Izick

Target and Walmart will have them too.

0rg9W.gif

This changes everything...hmm....

Live update: just arrived at best buy as it opens in less then 15 minutes, only 3 people waiting in their cars as opposed to about 20 people in line for the iPad 3. Got love best buy

Live update: just arrived at best buy as it opens in less then 15 minutes, only 3 people waiting in their cars as opposed to about 20 people in line for the iPad 3. Got love best buy

I'm not sure what that has to do with it being a Best Buy. I would suspect it has more to do with people not being that excited about a slightly upgraded model being released. This is easily the least significant iPad update yet.

Bah. With the Best Buy sale ($599 CDN for the 32gb iPod down from $619) I decided to bite the bullet and get a new (new?) iPad.

Accounting for sales tax & the price I sold my 3 for, it was about $150 to upgrade to the next generation.

Hope it was worth it. I suspect we won't know until some more intensive apps hit.

I'm not sure what that has to do with it being a Best Buy. I would suspect it has more to do with people not being that excited about a slightly upgraded model being released. This is easily the least significant iPad update yet.
They were in line for the mini also,so thought the line would be a lot bigger

Typing from iPad 4, feels good man

Top Bottom