• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Had my iPad in standby for 2 days it was at 99%, started using it and it drained 15% quicker than normal. Is that common? I just feel like my 4's battery isn't as good as the 3 I had.

So I just ordered an iPad 4 to replace my 3 that's being given to my mother.

Edit:

This may be the wrong thread, but does anyone have any experience with external battery packs that work with iPhones and iPads? Which models are worth buying?

Addnan

After using it for a few days I have to say this is amazing. Browsing the internet feels so good. The battery is so much better than I expeted (especially after using iPhone).

This including quite a bit of video watching too.
TMbVP.jpg

I'm still looking for a rubberized back cover. Any ideas?

I was very hesitant to try the official Apple Smart Case, but I'm really glad I got it. It's got a slightly tacky texture so it won't slip, but it also doesn't change the form factor of the device as much as some cases.

Some people have complained that it doesn't seem to "fit" properly...which is partially true. There appears to be some room for movement within the case (a very small amount) but because of the nature of the material, it simply doesn't move.

I like it better than the generic folio I bought for my 3rd gen.

After using it for a few days I have to say this is amazing. Browsing the internet feels so good. The battery is so much better than I expeted (especially after using iPhone).

This including quite a bit of video watching too.

the battery always amazes me on this thing, I don't I have ever needed to charge the iPad after one day use

I was very hesitant to try the official Apple Smart Case, but I'm really glad I got it. It's got a slightly tacky texture so it won't slip, but it also doesn't change the form factor of the device as much as some cases.

Some people have complained that it doesn't seem to "fit" properly...which is partially true. There appears to be some room for movement within the case (a very small amount) but because of the nature of the material, it simply doesn't move.

I like it better than the generic folio I bought for my 3rd gen.

I almost bought the full cover when I pre-ordered the 4, but decided against it. I'm not really interested in a smart cover for now. A black, grippy and smart cover compatible back cover would be sufficient. But everyone seems to be busy making artsy, ironic and clever cases.

I almost bought the full cover when I pre-ordered the 4, but decided against it. I'm not really interested in a smart cover for now. A black, grippy and smart cover compatible back cover would be sufficient. But everyone seems to be busy making artsy, ironic and clever cases.

If the Puma cases didn't have the Puma logo on them I'd have probably gone in that direction. I like the design.

I have been very happy with this 4th gen iPad coming from the 2.

Battery life seems the same (and possibly even better), which is great after hearing the 3rd might have lost a little, and everything seems even faster than the 2. But of course, the real star here is the screen, which is just awesome. I've had the iPhone 4, and recently the 5, so I already loved that amazingly high res screen, but even still, changing to this new iPad screen is a revelation.

Maybe it's the enormous size compared to the phone, but it feels like it has an even bigger impact compared to the phone. Browsing the internet on my new iPad, which is the majority of what I do on it, it just looks pristine. Text is perfect, etc, etc. Color is also noticeably improved. It has a depth to it, and you can tell it shows more colors than the old screen. Shades are all there, and certain things almost look a touch different because of it, but also more "true". Playing games is also fantastic at this resolution. They look so much better.

The only negative is the slight weight gain compared to the 2, but it's really a non issue when you're using the device. It's just something you might notice initially if you're coming from a 2.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm probably going to be buying a new iPad. I have a 2, so this is a big upgrade (even though my fiancee will likely be using the new one more than me). Is the newest iPad worth the upgrade?

Vyer

I'm probably going to be buying a new iPad. I have a 2, so this is a big upgrade (even though my fiancee will likely be using the new one more than me). Is the newest iPad worth the upgrade?

To the 4th gen? If the size/weight doesn't bother you, then I would say yes.

I've had an iPad for about a month now and I have to say that this is my favorite device I've purchased in years. I was worried about the web browser but everything seems to play and support the iPad. Really happy with my purchase. Girlfriend loves hers also.

Ugh, I hate to sound like a whiner, I dropped my (naked) iPad the other day, say 30 inch or so drop holding it in my hand, it bounced off my bare foot and screen first, it slid on my hardwood floor. It wasn't particularly a hard drop, and my foot kind of cushioned the fall, but I was very dissapointed to see a nice semi-deep scratch about 1/4 of an inch long on the centre-right of the screen, I have no idea how it happened, maybe a tiny pebble/particle grinded against it during impact.

I'm just bummed out, it's constantly there and an eye sore against the retina display, I swear I thought these screens are suppose to be tougher. I've dropped my iPhone 4 countless times on cement (screen first) on asphalt but not a thing, guess the iPad's bigger screen is more vulnerable. Wish I bought a screen guard from day 1.

Anyway, any good advice? It is still under manufactures one year warranty, (No Apple care unfortunatley :( ) was purchased in March. But doubt the Genius bar would be helpful in this matter. I'm also on a tight budget. Don't want to spend hundred and over for replacement.

Would appreciate any good advice thanks.

Vyer

Ugh, I hate to sound like a whiner, I dropped my (naked) iPad the other day, say 30 inch or so drop holding it in my hand, it bounced off my bare foot and screen first, it slid on my hardwood floor. It wasn't particularly a hard drop, and my foot kind of cushioned the fall, but I was very dissapointed to see a nice semi-deep scratch about 1/4of an inch long on the centre-right of the screen, I have no idea how it happened, maybe a tiny pebble/particle grinded against it, during impact.

I'm just bummed out, it's constantly there and an eye sore against the retina display, I swear I thought these screens are suppose to be tougher. I've dropped my iPhone 4 countless times on cement (screen first) on asphalt but not a thing, guess IPads bigger screen is more vulnerable. Wish I bought a screen guard from day 1.

Anyway, any good advice? It is still under manufactures one year warranty, (No Appke care unfortunatley :( ) was purchased in March. But doubt the Genius bar would be helpful in this matter. I'm also on a tight budget. Don't want to spend hundred and over for replacement.

Would appreciate any good advice thanks.

Eh, it's a big 10" piece of glass slding along hardwood floor. Probably would have been more surprised if it had been untouched.

If you've got an Apple Store near you, it might be worth it to make an appointment and take it in to see what they tell you. Just tell them you have a scratch on the surface and see how much it would cost to fix/replace. You might get lucky and they replace it anyway for free.

Would appreciate some help regarding the iPad 2. For some reason, whenever I connect it to my PC, which is running XP, it doesn't show up in My Computer as a disk drive, while it does on a friend's laptop which is running Vista. Other USB devices, such as my external hard drive, work perfectly fine. As a result, I've got no way of transferring stuff from my camera roll. Anyone know how to fix this, please?

is it possible to download something from an app store from another country?

im in the US but theres an app thats only available in the indian app store. can i switch back and forth or i have to just pick one?

numble

is it possible to download something from an app store from another country?

im in the US but theres an app thats only available in the indian app store. can i switch back and forth or i have to just pick one?
You can switch back and forth, but you will need separate iTunes accounts for each country store.

You can switch back and forth, but you will need separate iTunes accounts for each country store.

Yep

All things considered its fairly flexible, but I guess it has to be since Apple cannot and will not port your account over to a new country. (If you switch to a new account you will also need either a CC from that country or iTunes cards/gifts for that country.)

Yep

All things considered its fairly flexible, but I guess it has to be since Apple cannot and will not port your account over to a new country. (If you switch to a new account you will also need either a CC from that country or iTunes cards/gifts for that country.)

ah okay, thanks! so do i need a CC for free app downloads? i dont remember since ive had my regular account for a few years now.

Picked up a 4th gen iPad. Fantastic. Typing on it right now. Really like it a lot. Plan to use it for school, etc. seems pretty good for taking notes on and such. I just have to find a good app for writing, etc.

kr2t0s

Picked up a 4th gen iPad. Fantastic. Typing on it right now. Really like it a lot. Plan to use it for school, etc. seems pretty good for taking notes on and such. I just have to find a good app for writing, etc.

IA Writer / Byword if you like plain text and or markdown. Pages if you wanna do more complicated docs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Any special precautions to take when selling an iPad? Just back up and restore and I'm good, right: there's no way the guy can hack it and see my nudie pics?

Any special precautions to take when selling an iPad? Just back up and restore and I'm good, right: there's no way the guy can hack it and see my nudie pics?

Use the iTunes "restore" as a new device. I did that when I sold my 3rd gen. When I turned it back on it went through the whole "welcome to iOS" process so I think it worked.

Oh god I hope that worked

Danneee

Thought I would try to use my iPad 3 exclusively for a while now and sell of my laptop. So I went and bought a BT keyboard for it which, altough a bit small, seem to work excellent (got to get used to the smaller size of the keyboard though).
Now the real challenge lies in trying to write my masters thesis with it later. Pages works alright but do anyone have any suggestions of any other apps that could be useful? Pages feels a bit barebones and a nice app to keep track of references would be nice, any way to enable auto correct when using a BT keyboard without jailbraking the device?
Right now I have, and use, Dropbox, iAnnotate, Pages and iCabMobile (for uploading essays).

d00d3n

Anyone who is considering buying an ipad for video playback of their backups should know of the recent developments on the appstore. Basically, local video playback does no longer work on an ipad (or iphone). Apple has decided to ban unofficial use of the audio codecs from dolby that are the industry standard in most commercially released video. These codecs are widely supported and taken for granted on pc in obviously immoral and criminal applications like vlc and media player classic. Video players supporting dolby have been disappearing from the appstore or "updated" with crippled versions unable to reproduce sound during the last couple of weeks. At this point no good player with dolby support remains. There is no indication that dolby has any intention to license their codecs to ios developers under reasonable terms.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anyone who is considering buying an ipad for video playback of their backups should know of the recent developments on the appstore. Basically, local video playback does no longer work on an ipad (or iphone). Apple has decided to ban unofficial use of the audio codecs from dolby that are the industry standard in most commercially released video. These codecs are widely supported and taken for granted on pc in obviously immoral and criminal applications like vlc and media player classic. Video players supporting dolby have been disappearing from the appstore or "updated" with crippled versions unable to reproduce sound during the last couple of weeks. At this point no good player with dolby support remains. There is no indication that dolby has any intention to license their codecs to ios developers under reasonable terms.
AC-3(A52), E-AC-3 and TrueHD(MLP) codecs afaik, doesn't affect everything. Personally none of my videos have been affected at all.

d00d3n

AC-3(A52), E-AC-3 and TrueHD(MLP) codecs afaik, doesn't affect everything. Personally none of my videos have been affected at all.

What video player are you using? Have you updated to a new version? For me some rare random stuff is still working, but most files have no sound (using for example the updated version of buzz media player). Old versions still work ofc. "It's playing" 3.7.1 is a great player if you have access to the old version. New customers and people who updated without making backups are affected (obviously important information if you are buying a new tablet).

dwebo

What video player are you using? Have you updated to a new version? For me some rare random stuff is still working, but most files have no sound (using for example the updated version of buzz media player). Old versions still work ofc. "It's playing" 3.7.1 is a great player if you have access to the old version. New customers and people who updated without making backups are affected (obviously important information if you are buying a new tablet).

it's funny that you should mention it's playing, because I was just looking into that app a week or two ago. it seems the recent 3.8 update which removed ac3 playback also finally added hardware acceleration for network streams, which was my most wanted feature (because who wants to copy every file locally?)

might actually get the app now. it's not really surprising that apple is still trying to make it as hard as possible to watch video not bought from itunes, but there are still plenty of workarounds

edit: it's playing kind of sucks. do not recommend

I love the speed of this device, but the random wifi drops are annoying. In one moment I have an okay connection with 2 bars and in the next moment it completely drops my network and can't even find it.

Looks like I should get a wifi repeater.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love the speed of this device, but the random wifi drops are annoying. In one moment I have an okay connection with 2 bars and in the next moment it completely drops my network and can't even find it.

I thought this happened to me because I have an old ass iPad 2. I can't use my iPad in the master bedroom. Which is annoying, because my phone, laptop and 3ds all grab WiFi in that room, albeit with one bar.

I had a repeater, but that was annoying too because it would act up and sometimes my devices would have trouble deciding which signal to grab. It eventually just crapped out on me and I haven't replaced it. I figure the next tablet I get better have a good WiFi chip, and I'm surprised the new iPads haven't improved in that area.

bob page

Sounds like your router settings. Try updating your router firmware or upgrade to DDWRT or Tomato.

mhayze

Thought I would try to use my iPad 3 exclusively for a while now and sell of my laptop. So I went and bought a BT keyboard for it which, altough a bit small, seem to work excellent (got to get used to the smaller size of the keyboard though).
Now the real challenge lies in trying to write my masters thesis with it later. Pages works alright but do anyone have any suggestions of any other apps that could be useful? Pages feels a bit barebones and a nice app to keep track of references would be nice, any way to enable auto correct when using a BT keyboard without jailbraking the device?
Right now I have, and use, Dropbox, iAnnotate, Pages and iCabMobile (for uploading essays).

The rumor is that there will be a Microsoft published Office suite for iPad soon. Might be worth investigating. I have tried several word processors on my 3rd gen, and a bt keyboard, but find it pretty poor compared to 'a real laptop'. I look forward to trying an official Word app.

ChanHuk

Banned
So I'm at a crossroad. Just bought a iPad Mini but Best Buy has a deal I cannot pass up on. 16GB iPad 4 for $419. I think I might go for the iPad 4 and return this mini.

Addnan

Is there a way to continue videos from where you left it? My videos keep restarting if I quit out.

In the settings it's set to where left off, but it's still starting from the beginning.

kharma45

Picked up one of these tonight to get my mum for Xmas between myself and my brother, Currys were doing it for £359 and whilst it wasn't as good as Ebuyer's £299 deal it's probably the best we'll do.

Anyone know if Autofill will ever come back to iOS? Just saw tonight that it had been removed from it.

mooooose

Mini, iPad 3, or iPad 4? Money is an issue but the top two COULD be afforded if needed. Mini price is ideal.

Want to use it for email, webbrowsing, netflix, watching tv, listening to music, following along with slides in class, and maybe writing some quick stuff or doing homework with an external keyboard.

I don't like the iPad 2 because of the shitty cameras, no Siri, and I think it will lack support for as long as the Mini.

Top Bottom