• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next airline trend could be narrower seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

The next airline trend could be narrower seats

To squeeze more profits from each plane, the airline industry in the last few years has begun to install extra rows of seats, leading to a crunch in legroom that has sparked tiffs and feuds among frustrated passengers.

Now, the squeeze may be on passenger hip room.

United Airlines is considering introducing an economy section on its long-haul Boeing 777-200 with rows of ten seats abreast-instead of the current rows of nine, according to Aviation Week, an industry trade magazine.

The new configuration would allow the airline to add up to 100 extra seats to each plane, depending on the current seat configuration.

In a statement, United declined to confirm the report, saying only, "We evaluate lots of options across our fleet and haven't made any further announcements specific to the 777 fleet."

Passengers sitting in United's current nine-seat economy configuration get a seat width of 18 inches. On European and Middle Eastern airlines that fly the 777-200, which uses ten seats abreast, the seat width is only 17 inches.

American Airlines is now the only other major U.S. carrier with the ten-seat per row configuration, according to SeatGuru.com, a website that compares airline seat features.

If the trend of squeezing seat width continues, it could clash with another unfortunate U.S. trend: More than one-third of American adults are obese, a rate that has been on the rise since the 1970s, according to federal health statistics.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have already been on a flight with those seats. They aren't bad and even have a power plug built in.

That is if the article is actually talking about the seats in this image:

9kfdaDP.jpg

can we arrange passengers by attractiveness? I don't want the quality of my flight tarnished by an uggo, and the price should reflect that if it happens.

They're getting to the point where they have to start implementing a "You must be this thin to fly in our seat" policy.

Maybe measure people's waists with a metal ring like they do with suitcases.

"Sorry sir. You're too fat to board our aircraft with only one seat ticket. Please purchase another ticket at the check-in desk."

That would go over marvelously with the burgeoning population~

potam

Banned
It won't. It'll affect those sitting next to them.

worst flight of my life was coming back from Iraq. Stuck in the middle section, middle seat in between two fatass fucking contractors. Couldn't even use the fucking armrests the entire flight. Fuck them

watershed

Banned
I have already been on a flight with those seats. They aren't bad and even have a power plug built in.

9kfdaDP.jpg
Your picture only shows a 7 seat per row configuration. The article is talking about a 10 seat configuration so I think it will be much worse than your experience.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Strange title when 10 across in a 777 is already the norm on so many airlines.

I've flown it with Air France and it's noticeably narrow even for a skinny guy.

shira

9kfdaDP.jpg

That is 7(2-3-2) abreast, why did they add this pic - those flights are fine

this is 10(3-4-3)
SohqLVX.jpg

this is 9(3-3-3)
CQ4gIgm.jpg

Sloane

Banned
Strange title when 10 across in a 777 is already the norm on so many airlines.

I've flown it with Air France and it's noticeably narrow even for a skinny guy.
Worst thing are the aisles though; they're so small they can barely push the food cart through them. Seems pretty dangerous in case of an emergency evacuation but whatever.

Doesn't personally affect me but I wish I had more leg room... as a taller than average person I hate flying because of it. I'd rather stand during a domestic flight than sit.

I'm glad I don't care all that much about comfort. I just wanna get where I'm going for cheap.

I still think its amazing in less than a day I can be in Australia.

Apt101

I'm six feet tall, not overly-broad shoulders, average weight, and the current seating is already a bit cramped. Many of the people I've sat next to for flights heading to the southern US were literally squeezed into those seats - spilling over into my area. No idea how they could even wedge themselves into something a few inches more narrow.

Seriously, I would fly an airline that gave you bunk beds instead of seats. Who the fuck really wants to sit for many hours? If I'm stuck doing nothing, I want to lay down.

jts

...hate me...
The geniuses that bring new born babies on these kind of flights are just . . . . . eurghhh.

The pain a baby must go through getting their ears to pop must be excruciating.

Flew around 20 times, never had my ears popping. Never even thought or felt anything about them *shrug*

Seriously, I would fly an airline that gave you bunk beds instead of seats. Who the fuck really wants to sit for many hours? If I'm stuck doing nothing, I want to lay down.

I've always said this. Make them sleepers for international flights. With a TV with headphones directly above you. Mile high club though... that would probably be a problem for the airlines.

I've always said this. Make them sleepers for international flights. With a TV with headphones directly above you. Mile high club though... that would probably be a problem for the airlines.

Nah. Make them pubic and very narrow so you have no room to screw.

The problem is getting people into the the upper bunks. What if you have a bunch of old farts that can't climb up to an upper bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom