• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next airline trend could be narrower seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

MOeX2Uz.png

Wouldn't mind stacked beds

This is ideal imo. I get into a pod and get knocked out for the trip? Sign me up.

Wouldnt even care if the plane crashed because I wouldnt even know about it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have already been on a flight with those seats. They aren't bad and even have a power plug built in.

That is if the article is actually talking about the seats in this image:

9kfdaDP.jpg
That is quite standard and has been for a long time. I'm guessing they're talking about a 3-3-3 or 2-4-2 arrangement in a cabin size that has traditionally been 2-3-2.

I have a hard enough time getting comfortable in an airplane seat for long periods of time. This would seriously piss me off if it became standard practice.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw the picture of 3-4-3 seating. GOD NO.

Actually, I've been on flights with 3-4-3 seating now that I think about it. But the seats didn't look so narrow? Maybe I just didn't notice or it was a larger plane?

EDIT2: Actually, I think they may have been 3-3-3 seats.

I dunno anymore.

So they want to cram more people on the plane, but with no increase in carry on space. Great. Between that and the pricks who bring multiple bags then rush onto the plane so they can put them all in the overhead, my luggage is always going to end up being checked.

Sloane

Banned
Actually, I've been on flights with 3-4-3 seating now that I think about it. But the seats didn't look so narrow? Maybe I just didn't notice or it was a larger plane?
Could have been an A380 or a 747, those things were built for 3-4-3. The 777 was not.

ShamePain

Banned
Zeppelins need to make a goddamn comeback, sure it takes longer, but at least you get a proper room. Helium should be cheap enough by now, no?

Savitar

Making seats more narrow is a good way to cause more in flight rage incidents. People are already cramped and get riled easily enough.

Airlines that go against this trend and advertise the fact can score points over their competitors.

Seanspeed

Banned
Could have been an A380 or a 747, those things were built for 3-4-3. The 777 was not.
Ok, then I haven't. Never been on one of those planes. Must have been 3-3-3. Definitely know I've been on flights with 3-wide rows on the side, though.

Flew in one of these 3-4-3 configurations from Rio to Paris a month back. It was very uncomfortable, and I'm of a slight build and only about 5"9 - and my friend was sitting to my right. Can't imagine how tough it would be for taller/larger people.

Can't complain too much cos I got the emergency exit seats by the wings on a couple of flights on the trip with like 2x the leg room, so good. And on one flight there were only 19 of us in a 30 aisle plane, that was fun.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Due to recent medical problems and overeating during Christmas holidays, I found myself barely able to squeeze into a recent flight (Scoot) from Taipei > Singapore > Gold Coast. But this excess weight will be gone within a few months.

But I hate how airlines can just continually nickel & dime customers with no repercussions. But they're unchallengeable unless we magically discover a new way of intercontinental transportation.

The pain a baby must go through getting their ears to pop must be excruciating.

This is why I don't get angry at babies screaming during takeoff and landing. They can't verbalise their "what the fuck is happening?!" feelings outside of crying. That and the babies can tell that something is "off" during taking off and landing, which are both sheer technological miracles that most people take for granted and don't think about.

Do US airlines charge premiums for seats within economy?

European airlines have started doing this now.

As someone who is 6'5" (195cm) and suffers from blood clots, the idea that I need to pay extra for the emergency exit seats pisses me off to no end. Especially when some asshole who didn't pay for them decides to change seats and sit in one of them during the flight.

China Airlines is decent in this aspect. They've given me lengthier seats for no extra charge when I've explained and proven my medical condition.

Violet_0

Banned
Meh. Emirates is doing this already, for example, and it sucks.

Emirates (economy class) is the best airline experience I've had and I didn't really get the feeling that the seats were too narrow, I'm 6' tall if that matters. Ryanair, on the other hand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom