• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Plus, he was still high, which is the whole reason he was detained to begin with. People keep forgetting that he wasn't in his right state of mind both from shock and all the drugs he took.

Yup. I had a law professor who was a former police officer and he would tell us at least once every class to never say anything to the police if we were ever stopped or arrested.

Yup if he never took any of those drugs it would be a different story. Naz is in a tough spot right now. I can honestly see this show ending with him getting locked up and never getting out. John Stone getting fame out of it and getting decent money finally.

One thing I noticed though last episode was the two people that Stone defended. The white guy got off and the black guy did not. So race will be a huge factor in this case.

I hope the inhaler is a big part of the evidence. Seeing it focused on and not having a spec of blood on it at all really bothers me if it was only used so Box could try and get something out of Naz.

I am assuming they got all the info they needed on it. Hence why they focused on it for a good couple of seconds showing it was marked. I can see his asthma coming into play though.

The detective is so damn tricky. I am not a fan of it but I admire just how many steps ahead he is with manipulating Naz and his parents. Dude is a tactician.

duckroll

Finally finished off Better Call Saul S2, so I can sink into this now. Good shit. Glad to see HBO do another miniseries with a single director (except for one episode I think?) and writer. The consistency in the two episodes so far is pretty great.

You know, I got into this thinking it was a murder mystery, but it really isn't. It's a crime drama that obviously wants to portray a single case, and how even though the guy seems innocent, there's a process to go through, and he has royally fucked himself by making a series of bad decisions. To be honest, I don't even know if the show really wants us to believe there was a real killer. It seems like the girl was looking to end her life, and picked one hell of a way to do it. Sucks for him, but under all that influence, I think he probably just did what she asked and doesn't remember any of it. It's very likely there's no bad guy here waiting to be caught.

It's pretty refreshing to watch a crime series with less emphasis on the whodunit and instead focus on people being people, doing their jobs, and the tensions that arise from that. I'm curious where they plan on going with John Stone though. He's portrayed as a somewhat opportunistic lawyer who tends to deal with simpler cases, and everyone who knows him thinks this is out of his league. Is he actually not so great a lawyer? Will that show itself in the story? That would be interesting even if he has the best of intentions to actually help his clients. The rundown lawyer who simply hasn't had his big break to prove himself yet is a boring trope in comparison.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fantastic first two episodes, I'm hooked.

[edit]

Wonder what was up with Bodie's buddy, obviously they want you to think he was the killer with the way he looked at Naz, but why did Bodie lie about being with him? Bodie's character doesn't seem like the killer type but they have had to have been up to something that night.

Finally watched the first episode. Really, really good stuff. It did such a good job of ratcheting up the tension and having this sickening feeling of inevitability to everything. I'd absolutely hate to be in Naz's place

I think this could have easily been at least an episode shorter if they're legitimately focusing this much time on the lawyer's feet.

cLOUDo

so...
Naz really kiled that girl?
because we pass the 3rd episode and there is no other suspect or evidence in naz's favor

Jocund

This show isn't a whodunit. I wouldn't expect massive amounts of evidence to be discovered on an episode-to-episode basis.

uncblue

I know the show isn't a whodunit, but the line from the DA about the number of stab wounds is interesting. I'm not sure how you could use it to defend Naz but the fact the number is the same as her age makes me think it was someone who knew her. Seems to much of a coincidence.

Arkeband

Banned
I think this could have easily been at least an episode shorter if they're legitimately focusing this much time on the lawyer's feet.

Yeah, I feel like the show is spinning its wheels to be honest. Stone isn't that interesting, his affliction doesn't have any metaphorical value, and wtf was the scene where he's at some AA meeting for people with eczema?! Is that even a thing?

Man this show is so fucking bleak, that monologue about veal, only to transition into a scene about the poor cat going to it's very own prison. Show's all about displaying the worst of humanity it seems.

I know the show isn't a whodunit, but the line from the DA about the number of stab wounds is interesting. I'm not sure how you could use it to defend Naz but the fact the number is the same as her age makes me think it was someone who knew her. Seems to much of a coincidence.

Good point.

This show is a damning look at the criminal justice system. Innocent or guilty your life is practically ruined if you're put into the system and don't have the means to dance around it.

Big Brett

I am just floored by how good this show is. The pacing is terrific. It's a totally different look at the justice system. For those finding it boring and slow, just remember that's how the criminals feel. I think it's kind of the point, to sort of realize that the criminals are just being filed in like it's the judge's morning paperwork before lunch.

This is part of the justice system where suspects are "innocent until proven guilty" even though Nas is now in an extremely dangerous crime for which he doesn't even know if he did or not really.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Damn, Omar is gonna fuck up Nas' whole shit up.

What do you guys think the feet represent? I assume they're there for a dynamic reason but I can't put my finger on it.
So why does the woman lawyer want to take the case for "free'? Is it because she can get a lot of attention from the case?

That's what it feels like, seems like she likes to take high profile cases.
so...
Naz really kiled that girl?
because we pass the 3rd episode and there is no other suspect or evidence in naz's favor

Like I said in an earlier episode, the guy who looked at Nas in episode one has to be brought up sooner or later since the guy who talked to the cops about Nas lied about being with him.

Maybe he isn't the killer but there's something there or he wouldn't have said he was alone.

Bitanator

I love the pacing of the show so far it gets no complaints from me, this type of show needs and deserves it. Better Call Saul has a similar slow burn that allows it to shines in other areas. I'm completely enthralled with the characters, John Turturro is fantastic

This show is awesome. When the cello started playing at the end of the show, unbelievable.

So my theory is now:

Stone, even though off the case, is still thinking about it and following the trail.

During the trial, Naz brings up that he walked into the room and saw the cat. The girl put the cat outside and the lawyer who is interrogating him asks why, Naz answers "because Im allergic to cats".

This rings alarm bells in Shaw's mind. Remembering the cat, Stone goes back to the scene and looks around.

Instead of looking up at the window, like he did in this episode, for some reason he looks at the other side of the street. Im thinking either the first eye witness is looking at him or the witness is a bit of a voyeur or there is a security camera.

Stone gets the tape from the night in question and watches it. He sees Naz entering the place and the cat later being put outside, leaving the gate open. Then fasts forward further and see someone entering the gate later that night. The killer.

Im thinking that the killer is now the hearse guy from the petrol station. Its a recognizable car and when the public is shown the footage from the CCTV of the car in question. The petrol station attendant recognises it and can show the video of the hearse guy and the girl interacting, given the motive. The reason I think its this guy is how the CCTV camera of the petrol station focused on Naz leaving and then the hearse guy straight after for a bit.

I'm thinking that Stone saves the cat just before it gets killed, in 10 days time, and the final scene is the cat walking between Stone's clean feet while Stone is watching tv interview of Naz walking free.

Jeels

This show is awesome. When the cello started playing at the end of the show, unbelievable.

So my theory is now:

Stone, even though off the case, is still thinking about it and following the trail.

During the trial, Naz brings up that he walked into the room and saw the cat. The girl put the cat outside and the lawyer who is interrogating him asks why, Naz answers "because Im allergic to cats".

This rings alarm bells in Shaw's mind. Remembering the cat, Stone goes back to the scene and looks around.

Instead of looking up at the window, like he did in this episode, for some reason he looks at the other side of the street. Im thinking either the first eye witness is looking at him or the witness is a bit of a voyeur or there is a security camera.

Stone gets the tape from the night in question and watches it. He sees Naz entering the place and the cat later being put outside, leaving the gate open. Then fasts forward further and see someone entering the gate later that night. The killer.

Im thinking that the killer is now the hearse guy from the petrol station. Its a recognizable car and when the public is shown the footage from the CCTV of the car in question. The petrol station attendant recognises it and can show the video of the hearse guy and the girl interacting, given the motive. The reason I think its this guy is how the CCTV camera of the petrol station focused on Naz leaving and then the hearse guy straight after for a bit.

I'm thinking that Stone saves the cat just before it gets killed, in 10 days time, and the final scene is the cat walking between Stone's clean feet while Stone is watching tv interview of Naz walking free.

But why does that guy have any motive to kill her...because she flicked a cigarette? that doesn't sound very plausible

So why does the woman lawyer want to take the case for "free'? Is it because she can get a lot of attention from the case?

There's usually a few reasons. One would be media attention. She and her business will get a lot of media attention from a high profile case which means more clients in the future = $$$

Another is that her and her company typically need to do pro bono cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_bono#United_States

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
But why does that guy have any motive to kill her...because she flicked a cigarette? that doesn't sound very plausible

There's usually a few reasons. One would be media attention. She and her business will get a lot of media attention from a high profile case which means more clients in the future = $$$

Another is that her and her company typically need to do pro bono cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_bono#United_States

Don't think he had anything to do with it. The scene was just showing she didn't give a fuck anymore.

Good episode. No idea Omar was gonna be in this. Would be nice to see both teams of lawyers team up. Don't think that will happen though sadly but I can see Stone getting a call from the other two owners of the cab.

duckroll

I think that if there IS another killer...
it could be somewhat occult related. I still think that she planned on killing herself that night. But either she had some help (fellow culty?), or someone else beat her to it (maybe she left a cult? or pissed someone off?), or Naz helped her and didn't remember because drugz (less likely because he had no blood on him).

Who cares about the mystery though? MICHAEL K FUCKING WILLIAMS!!!!!

- Decider: Queue and A: 'The Night Of' Composer Reveals the Key to Creating a Chillingly Haunting Scene
DECIDER: What scenes are the most challenging for you to work on?

JR: It’s interesting, you know, finding the point in any show that has earned the right, emotionally, to utilize music in a meaningful way is always a difficult choice, because it’s such a subjective issue. At what point does a narrative really earn the right to have music happen and then have this resolution or this release that happens when you put music in? So, it’s not necessarily a scene or a type of scene, it’s more of a general issue. It’s like, trying to figure out how and where to put music, I think, is the biggest challenge for any composer with any narrative. I feel like finding the balance between different emotions is always the hardest part. Like, if there’s a tense moment, but there’s also an emotional component — riding that line is really always the most complicated and most complex thing to try to figure out.
More via the link.

MK Williams on Fresh Air today:

- No Longer Omar: Actor Michael K. Williams On Lucky Breaks And Letting Go
On playing Freddy, a powerful Rikers Island inmate in The Night Of

I'm so familiar with people like Freddy from my childhood, from my personal life. I have family members that remind me of Freddy. You know, just all this potential, all this raw potential that just got misguided and led to bad decisions, and those bad decisions came with consequences. I know that all too well. So it wasn't something where I needed to do research to understand that world. I still visit my family that's incarcerated and I see the good days, I see the bad days, I see the growth. I see what they lost by being incarcerated, and I see the gains. So I just dove into that.
Audio interview via the link.

Nothus

Man, those prison scenes were tense as fuck. Every time Nas suddenly found himself alone - both when he was showering and when he went for a piss - I was just waiting for someone to sneak up on him.

Also the cat being carried off in the cage was heartbreaking! I really hope Stone has a change of heart and goes back for it!

I think that if there IS another killer...
it could be somewhat occult related. I still think that she planned on killing herself that night. But either she had some help (fellow culty?), or someone else beat her to it (maybe she left a cult? or pissed someone off?), or Naz helped her and didn't remember because drugz (less likely because he had no blood on him).

Who cares about the mystery though? MICHAEL K FUCKING WILLIAMS!!!!!

Someone's theory from the first episode is still sticking with me and you're in the same ballpark
That yes, the girl was suicidal but couldn't do it herself, so she's convinced someone else to do it for her, but only if they find someone to frame it on, the way she clearly wanted Naz to stab her is just too bizzare to chalk up to eccentricity

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wouldn't Naz have to sign something to make Crowe his lawyer? I mean, isn't that a separate question from payment? I'm a little baffled by him being left out of that decision.

So my theory is now:

I don't think Stone is going to find a security camera that the police missed. That seems silly.

Just caught up on last night's episode. So good! This show was tailor made for me. I'll post some scattered thoughts below:

1. I have to think that Stone stays as Nasir's lawyer somehow. He has to play a big role in some form going forward with how much screen time and thematic emphasis they have afforded him.

2. Not really any movements in terms of the actual murder plot this episode other than that they are clearly laying a foundation for the cat to be a revelation or turning point in the defense case.

3. It will be interesting how they start introducing other suspects and possibilities into the mix because they have not been quick to play that angle and they only have five more parts to go. I think they will start to drip feed some prospects starting next episode. My bold prediction at this point is that they will not conclusively figure out what happened.

4. There is a lot of menace in how they have been handling the prison scenes. I find many shows and movies tend to overdo the prison atmosphere by shoving it into your face, but the mounting tension and the lingering shots seem way more effective to me.

5. The diversity in the show is refreshing, it doesn't feel picked out and perfectly distributed. It feels natural.

6. This show is perfectly suited for weekly format. I think binging something like this would be a disservice to it.

Top Bottom