• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

But why does that guy have any motive to kill her...because she flicked a cigarette? that doesn't sound very plausible

The guy didn't like her and was just standing outside his car waiting for Naz to drive off and he left straight after and in the same direction.

If its not him, I am thinking it is the step father. He was clear to point out that he hadn't spoken to her in a while and also lived on the other side of town. Also, didn't he say something about her being with a muslim, like something mildly racist (I cant remember but it was in the coffee shop with Box). He could have had an argument with her, she left, he went to her place to wait for her, saw her go inside with another man and decided to kill her and frame Naz.

Wouldn't Naz have to sign something to make Crowe his lawyer? I mean, isn't that a separate question from payment? I'm a little baffled by him being left out of that decision.

I don't think Stone is going to find a security camera that the police missed. That seems silly.

It does seem silly, but I was trying to figure out how the cat plays a part in the show. The fact the show has been clear to show her putting it out, both Naz and Stone are allergic, it potentially running across the street in the first episode, and then the screen time it got in the third leads me to believe it will play a part in it. The shot before Stone finds the cat, he is outside the building looking up, hence I think he will go back to that place and realise he was looking in the wrong direction.

Maybe its not a camera, but its not that hard to think the police have not done their due diligence when, to them, it looks like Naz killed her.

Latest episode was great. Naz needs to take that deal and get some protection. I don't think he'll last otherwise. Anyway, this show is tense as hell. There are moments when I want to look away from the TV because I think something bad is about to go down, but I can't because it's so good. And the acting is legit too. The actor playing Naz is really convincing.

Also, the animal pound or whatever seemed like an intentional parallel to Naz's situation? The cat was put in a cage, surrounded by a bunch of dogs ready to rip it a new one.

NYR

This show is fucking terrifying. The definititive "don't talk to the police. Ever." show. So good, a real hidden gem.

Wow, the last episode was GOOD. Better than the pilot for me. The measured, highly realistic pace that the show's going for is really drawing me in.

duckroll

Looks like next episode is the only one not directed by the showrunner. James Marsh is doing it. He made Man on Wire and Theory of Everything. Curious if it'll look a little different.

Bearthgar

Banned
Really love the way this is shot. When Naz walked around the prison, he kept walking around the corner from the camera and it created a great sense of dread. As a viewer you worry about him and don't want him to get out of your sight. Pretty cool effect.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
3. It will be interesting how they start introducing other suspects and possibilities into the mix because they have not been quick to play that angle and they only have five more parts to go. I think they will start to drip feed some prospects starting next episode. My bold prediction at this point is that they will not conclusively figure out what happened.

according to imdb there are 9 episodes planned.

Someone's theory from the first episode is still sticking with me and you're in the same ballpark
That yes, the girl was suicidal but couldn't do it herself, so she's convinced someone else to do it for her, but only if they find someone to frame it on, the way she clearly wanted Naz to stab her is just too bizzare to chalk up to eccentricity

Besides, what kind of
drug did she give him? Maybe it made him more willing to listen to instruction?

So is Omar (Freddie?) actually trying to help Naz (scaring him with the fire, not necessarily hurting him), or is he just some king of the jungle looking to buy some favour from people like Naz and his family?

Not sure what he could want from Naz. He seemed more concerned about him, but maybe that was a decoy.

Also, there's no way that the killer is the
hearse driver. That seems more like an alibi/set up for a witness for the stand.

It makes zero sense for him to drop everything about whatever he was doing that night and chase some girl to menacingly kill her.

So is Omar (Freddie?) actually trying to help Naz (scaring him with the fire, not necessarily hurting him), or is he just some king of the jungle looking to buy some favour from people like Naz and his family?

Not sure what he could want from Naz. He seemed more concerned about him, but maybe that was a decoy.

hearse driver. That seems more like an alibi/set up for a witness for the stand.

It makes zero sense for him to drop everything about whatever he was doing that night and chase some girl to menacingly kill her.

I think Omar is just trying to do what most prison kingpins do; extort money from him.

Dmented

Banned

Personally, I think Omar could have something to do with the murder itself. Of course not him specifically but people he knows. Maybe it was a hit for an unpaid drug tab, or something like that. Maybe it's one of the reasons she didn't want to be alone that night? Though that part doesn't really add up, so it's just me tossing things out there.

Remember the part when Naz is going into Andrea's apartment and that one dude and Bodie passing by, making racist comments? How the other dude just stares at them for awhile, silently, and the camera focuses on him specifically. I think he has a part in this. Maybe one of Omar's hitmen?

I mean it's all just guess work, of course. And it could just be basic jail-house shit, extortion, etc. But I don't see Omar's role being that small in the grand scheme of things. And I don't see any reason for him to help Naz at all. I'm sure he hates rapists as much as any other dude. So why single him out if not for something he wants out of him, like to keep an eye on him, make sure he goes down for the crime, or something to that effect?

And he definitely ordered the fire. They already wanted to fuck him up/kill him earlier, why set a fire on his shit when they had a GOLDEN opportunity to do what they wanted to in the first place. It was just to scare him into Omar's hands for sure.

[/SPOILER]

He wants Naz to owe him, thus making Naz his bitch.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
He wants Naz to owe him, thus making Naz his bitch.

Definitely. I kept saying to myself that this dude ain't doing things out if the goodness of his heart, or maybe he is? That's the scary thing. It was smart of Naz not to take up his offer but it looks like he has no choice. Have a feeling he's going to turn Naz into a mule for his protection.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah, I definitely agree that he wants to do it so Naz owns him and I'm sure he's the one that told someone to burn his bed but I'm wondering WHY he wants Naz under his control.

What could he possibly gain from it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What could he possibly gain from it?

Episode introduces the character having an exchange with his CO about not being able to smuggle in stuff due to a new scanner. Later in you see what Naz's mom has to endure just to get in. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Naz try to convince his parents to try to smuggle something in for protection

It made me uncomfortable how Freddie was stroking that veal. I'm not sure if that's where they're going with his character since he has a sexual outlet with the prison guard, but that's how that scene came across to me. Very sexually threatening.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It made me uncomfortable how Freddie was stroking that veal. I'm not sure if that's where they're going with his character since he has a sexual outlet with the prison guard, but that's how that scene came across to me. Very sexually threatening.

I think Naz is scared to death that everyone there wants to rape him, wouldn't surprise me if that scene had rape-y undertones on purpose.
Episode introduces the character having an exchange with his CO about not being able to smuggle in stuff due to a new scanner. Later in you see what Naz's mom has to endure just to get in. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Naz try to convince his parents to try to smuggle something in for protection

Hmm, yeah, I guess that's a possibility.

Poor Naz is being ripped apart by vultures from inside and outside of the prison.

Corpekata

Banned
I do hope it's not a sexual thing simply because I think at a certain point the awfulness happening to Naz would approach masochism. And I think given the relative slow pace and attention to detail, that seems like an awful fast thing to approach. It's been like what, 48 hours?

I kind of wonder if he's like Stone and Box in that he knows like they do that he probably didn't do the crime like Stone suggested to Box and maybe he wants someone that may get out soon that's unaffiliated to do something since he would be owed a favor. Though that's pretty convoluted. If we had seen that Naz's parents were given light treatment at search because of their relative naivete I could see the smuggle approach being correct, but given they were thorough with them, it would seem to weird to go for the nervous kid with the parents that would also be inexperienced to do it.

Personally, I think Omar could have something to do with the murder itself.
Have a feeling he's going to turn Naz into a mule for his protection.

Have you guys watched the English series this was based upon? If not, don't read the following
I have never watched that series but I read the wiki and an if this series follows the English version, both of those things could be correct

yeah I was expecting Freddy to flop his chop out and get Naz to feel that with his eyes closed.

duckroll

Crossing my fingers for a blu-ray release

We never got the original Game of Thrones pilot which was completely different. I don't see HBO putting the pilot for this out when it is supposedly very similar. Maybe they'll have the one scene Gandolfini shot as an extra though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
We never got the original Game of Thrones pilot which was completely different. I don't see HBO putting the pilot for this out when it is supposedly very similar. Maybe they'll have the one scene Gandolfini shot as an extra though.
I suppose, but Gandolfini was such a big presence for HBO and a big reason why television evolved the way that it did. I could see them using it as a big selling point for a blu-ray release as well from a marketing stand point.

duckroll

I suppose, but Gandolfini was such a big presence for HBO and a big reason why television evolved the way that it did. I could see them using it as a big selling point for a blu-ray release as well from a marketing stand point.

He's only in one small scene in the pilot - the one where he sees Naz, leaves the police station, then turns around. They could just include that scene as a bonus.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
He's only in one small scene in the pilot - the one where he sees Naz, leaves the police station, then turns around. They could just include that scene as a bonus.
Oh I thought it was a whole thing. Hmmm.

The guy didn't like her and was just standing outside his car waiting for Naz to drive off and he left straight after and in the same direction.

If its not him, I am thinking it is the step father. He was clear to point out that he hadn't spoken to her in a while and also lived on the other side of town. Also, didn't he say something about her being with a muslim, like something mildly racist (I cant remember but it was in the coffee shop with Box). He could have had an argument with her, she left, he went to her place to wait for her, saw her go inside with another man and decided to kill her and frame Naz.
Let's not forget that she was
stabbed same time as her age. And who knew her age? Her stepfather. So stepfather being one of the suspects is a high possibility.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Caught up on Episodes 2 and 3. This show really fucks with my nerves. All the prison scenes have been especially tense.

BeeDog

Watched the third episode last night. Damn, this has to be one of the most oppressive shows I've watched in ages. Even simple scenes such as the Khan parents' visit to jail made me squirm, and all the prison stuff so far is excellent and so gloomy. I hope the show manages to keep up the amazing atmosphere.

HBO had a TCA panel for The Night Of today. A few highlights/recaps:

- Deadline: ‘The Night Of’ Explores Islamophobia And Eczema – TCA
One TV critic pounced, saying he wanted to talk – a lot – about eczema as a plot device, as a symbol, and as comic relief. Zaillian jumped in to say the character’s condition was in the original British series, but expanded upon in the U.S. version after they “did a lot of research on it and it became more and more interesting.”

Price jumped in to explain UK series creator Peter Moffat had suffered with eczema for decades. “He wrote me an email saying it went away in the last few years but, guess what, it came back. When you have a malady that is so personal, it becomes part of who you are. I always put asthma sprays in what I write, because I have asthma.” Price, addressing the eczema-enthused critic, noted approvingly that TV critics have “picked up on it as a metaphor for the frustrations of finding a solution and the entire judicial system.”

Asked why the main character was made to be Muslim in the US version, when he was not in the Brit original, Price said that in London “you’re going to have white cab drivers but in NY you’re not going to have lot of American Caucasian cab drivers.”

“It’s an entry level job…packed with South Asians, people from the Middle East and from West Africa. To make him Pakistani, to me, was the most comfortable of options,” he continued. “Once you have a Muslim character,” Price acknowledged, ‘it adds a layer in terms of the fallout to an atrocious headline-grabbing crime. But, he insisted, “this was not designed to get into post 9/11 ISIS, anti-Muslim xenophobia.”

- LA Times: 'The Night Of' sizes up potential for a second season on HBO
Though only three episodes of HBO’s critically acclaimed limited series “The Night Of” have aired, there’s already been talk of how a second season could be crafted from a story that ostensibly has a definitive end.

“This was designed as a stand-alone piece,” Steve Zaillian, said when asked about the potential for a second season. “That being said, there are ways of taking what [the show] feels like and what it’s about and doing another season on another subject. We’re talking about it.”

- Yahoo: 'The Night Of' EP: "We're Talking About" a Possible Second Season
"It's the antithesis of Law and Order," executive producer Richard Price said of the series. "Its not like, put it in the microwave, hit 60 seconds and serve."

Turturro replaced James Gandolfini, who was first attached to star and exec-produce in the project when it was picked up to pilot in 2012. His sudden death the following year put the project in flux. First, Robert De Niro took over the role before Turturro stepped in. Gandolfini is still listed as an exec producer, along with Zaillian, Price, Jane Tranter and Garrett Basch.

"It was toughest for me on a personal level because I was friends with James," Zaillian said of his death.

However, there was never a question about whether the series would move forward. "He was indeed a great champion of it," Zaillian said of Gandolfini's involvement. "The character is the character. We didn't rewrite anything for John. This character is the character and so we just went forward with it."

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I personally think that the moose head mounted on the wall will play a pivotal role in the show. Too much emphasis has placed on it during scenes that revisit the murder scene. I think that there may be a surveillance camera hidden behind one of the eyes, it's just been featured in too many lingering or focal shots to be a coincidence. I also think the black dude that remained silent during Naz's brief spat with the other guy that made the racial comment is the true culprit. He watched intentlg as Naz and Andrea went inside as the friend who was actually involved in the minor confrontation walked away, thinking nothing of it. I think that coupled with the fact that the one who identified Naz claimed to to have been there to witness them go I Andrea's house alone is telling of the friends involvement. I know "the streets" have a no switching code but it just doesn't seem right. Just my theory so far.

Also maybe Andrea was being beaten or sexual abused by her stepfather and was either contemplating suicide or knew her life would've been in danger were she to go home alone. I think her "I can't be alone tonight" may have more meaning than she's just a lonely, depressed and lost individual

Turin

Banned
Checked it out this morning and I was glued to the tv until I finished episode 3. Great stuff. Can't wait for tonight.

Latest episode was great. Naz needs to take that deal and get some protection. I don't think he'll last otherwise. Anyway, this show is tense as hell. There are moments when I want to look away from the TV because I think something bad is about to go down, but I can't because it's so good. And the acting is legit too. The actor playing Naz is really convincing.

Also, the animal pound or whatever seemed like an intentional parallel to Naz's situation? The cat was put in a cage, surrounded by a bunch of dogs ready to rip it a new one.

This. So well said. It does a really really good job of ratcheting up the tension and really pulling you in. Even the opening section of the third epsiode where
they're showing the prison
seems ominous and foreboding. And the cast are great, and the show seems really realistic too.

I just watched the last episode though and would like a bit of clarification:
he goes to use the toilet, then he comes back and a bunch of people are burning his bed? Or someone else's? Is it an overt threat or a coincidental mini-riot, or maybe a ploy from Freddy to "convince" Naz to accept? I'm thinking that perhaps the guy who made the knife across neck gesture perhaps doesn't like him but the others who were near him don't care, but I'm not sure if that is accurate or not?

I'm also wondering
what exactly it is that Freddy will want in return for protecting Naz

catbrush

Remember the part when Naz is going into Andrea's apartment and that one dude and Bodie passing by, making racist comments? How the other dude just stares at them for awhile, silently, and the camera focuses on him specifically. I think he has a part in this. Maybe one of Omar's hitmen?

When Bodie is later questioned by the police, they ask him if anyone else was with him. He lies, saying he was alone. Very suspicious.

Man, I'm actually dreading watching tonight's episode....and I mean that in the best way possible. This show is doing an incredible job of building anxiety and a sense of impending doom.

BkMogul

Man, I hope nothing "Oz-like" happens to Naz.

I do hope we get more info on the investigation, like some backstory on the girl's family (sans her step-father).

Top Bottom