• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

Sanjuro

Ben is going to get his boy out of prison!

Lev9VrX.jpg

milkham

The question I took away from this episode... is baby oil napalm for real?!
The wait between episodes is getting more and more unbearable.

Helmholtz

Another great episode. This series is really well done and I've been recommending it to people often.
I do hope there is some more investigation into the actual crime.

It just feels like all the suspects are just too obvious and dont matter.

Why did Baby Oil guy do that to Naz? Didn't he believe him? He was so helpful.

And I cant make heads or tail of Freddie... Naz made a mistake going to him for help, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if you never find out who the real killer is. Seems to be more about how fucked up the justice system and prison are. I think Naz will eventually be found guilty anyway.

And I cant make heads or tail of Freddie... Naz made a mistake going to him for help, right?

I bet Freddie has that guy in his pocket too. Told him to do that knowing that would bring Naz back around to wanting his "protection".

Man this show is sooo good. Watching Naz slowly become alpha is a treat. I wanted him to be under Freddy's protection since the start. Seeing prison dramas and movies, I know that's the first thing I'd do lol. I don't understand why that guy threw napalm at him though. I get it, he thinks Naz is guilty and a rapist and he hates people like him because of his niece. But it's such a petty, stupid thing to do after "bonding" for a while.

Stuff outside the prison is interesting too. The blonde lawyer lady is no one's friend. She just wanted a quick slam dunk plea bargain deal from the start. No work, no toil, free publicity. One thing the show does splendidly well is to show how the cogs turn in the Criminal Justice Machine. Everyone is a robot. Like, everyone knows what to do, what's good and what isn't. They haggle the years on this kid like they're buying vegetables from a bazaar. Even Stone is a cog. He's just too worn out from daily life in the meat grinder to give a shit about anything. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a punchline.

Chandra seems more into the profession. Hopefully she gets some fire under Stone's ass about it and they team up. And Stone man, poor guy. That feet shit is gross af. But you gotta feel for the guy. Life is full of lemons for him. I don't understand why his eczema is such a central part of the narrative. His eczema, his allergies and the orange cat somehow have something to do with each other.

The obvious suspects are the step-dad and the guy he was arguing with. Also Box' relationship with the step-dad is concerning too.

Klocker

Really good episode to me.

Loved the prison scenes, the courtroom and the young lawyer realizing he was innocent

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

He never believed him. He told him not to change either.

Dalek

This show is insanely good. We're watching the start of something amazing. I'm enthralled by every aspect of this.

This show is ridiculously good and definitely the breakout of the year. The photography during the courtroom scene was top notch stuff and it had me filled with dread despite knowing exactly what was going to happen

I really wish we could cancel the next 6 days and it could be Sunday again.

Clipjoint

I think the stuff with John's eczema is meant to mirror Naz's situation. It's John's version of prison. It completely consumes and dominates his life. The doctor (system) gives him nothing but bad choices, where the cure may be worse than the illness. And either way, it's going to cost him a shitload of money with no guarantee of results. Everyone has an opinion of what he should do, but each choice he makes he has to live with. Even the people who sympathize with him look at him with the suspicion he's contagious, the way everyone looks at Naz as if he's guilty. He has no idea if he'll be cured (set free) or if this is a life sentence, which he wouldn't be able to live with - he'd rather commit suicide.

In the end I suspect there will be some joint action that sets Naz free and helps cure John's eczema. Perhaps it's the cat that will set them both free.

120v

feet are foreshadowing... foot, murder in brooklyn, foot clan. it was shredder

anyway i found it hilarious how fast things went south with the lady lawyer. i thought she was in it solely for publicity and would rough it through a jury trial with Stone playing shadow defense on the sideline. glad to see her go

Arkeband

Banned
Man this show is sooo good. Watching Naz slowly become alpha is a treat. I wanted him to be under Freddy's protection since the start. Seeing prison dramas and movies, I know that's the first thing I'd do lol. I don't understand why that guy threw napalm at him though. I get it, he thinks Naz is guilty and a rapist and he hates people like him because of his niece. But it's such a petty, stupid thing to do after "bonding" for a while.

I got the feeling that the show did a reveal when he handed Nas the picture of the girl and it was a shot of her dead body. The guy is a latent psychopath. So I saw the baby oil scene as the guy having a manic episode spurred on by his own delusions that he's innocent.

He looked more than a little concerned when Nas decided to go straight to Freddy after that. I think he thought he was going to report him to the guards as an act of defiance, but Nas decided to become deeper involved (and indebted) to a dangerous criminal instead.

AlexMogil

I have been in absolute love with Glenn Headley since she was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels in the late 80's. It always make me happy to see her working even when she is playing this type of character.

holygeesus

Banned
Nice cameo from cousin Turturro that episode. Also who was the chemist? He looks infinitely recognisable but I can't quite place him.

duckroll

Good episode. I wonder if there's a chance now that Chandra and Stone will work together for Naz. He still seems pretty fucked though. Hate to say it, but he should have taken the deal. We still don't know for sure if he actually did anything, and he doesn't either!

Top Bottom