• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Jamix012

Reading more... so component is basically just HD-capable S-Video...

Somewhat, it seperates everything a little more than S-Video and is thus a little better. In theory RGB should give you a better picture for non-HD pictures but in practice it's really difficult to tell. Hell, go into the RGB/upscaler thread and look at the upscaler link in the OP. The guy is super into picture quality and does reviews of dozens of upscalers, but even he can't tell the differentce between RGB and YPbPr.

I am seeing that most clearly here with the ALTTP comparisons.

WTF man how is it such a huge jump? I remember doing component for Wii and the difference was pretty big. Here it seems barely any different from S-Video.

You have to read the fine print of that comparison. The RGB one is running on a RGB monitor whereas all the other ones are running on a CRT so there are going to be huge differences. As for why the RGB to YUV loses out a little to S-video, I'd blame the converter or the CRT's ability to process component, there's no way component should lose to S-video.

The N64 multiplayer games that defined the system.

3Nintendogames.jpg

cacildo

Any good place where i could get the Project 64 emulator? The official home page download option isnt working....

I wish i could get my old N64 from my ex girlfriend... i even had Pilotwings!

It's funny how the Pokemon Stadium games defined the N64 era for some people.

DSCN0924_zpsd3604ed5.jpg

Pokemon Stadium 2 is actually a pretty impressive game as it supports the Expansion Pak for sharper graphics and it also supports Dolby Pro Logic II for an even more immersive feeling.

Kainazzo

It's funny how the Pokemon Stadium games defined the N64 era for some people.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is actually a pretty impressive game as it supports the Expansion Pak for sharper graphics and it also supports Dolby Pro Logic II for an even more immersive feeling.

I always thought it was strange how Pokemon Stadium had that little name box on the label. I don't remember any other game having that.

-KRS-

Hey guys. I rebought an N64 recently, along with some gamecube component cables. As a result I graduated my Gamecube S-video cable to the N64, and I was under the impression that they were cross compatitable. However I'm getting this horrible crosshatching effect. I've looked it up, but no one seems to have a good answer. It's especially weird since the cables did wonders for my 'cube but seem to be failing me when it comes to the N64. Anyone know a solution?

Hmm, is it a PAL unit? The s-video cables I've tried on my PAL unit has looked worse than composite.

Peagles

S-vid is a good improvement over composite but really the N64 has pretty bad picture quality all up compared to other systems. It'd probably still look pretty bad on your LCD in s-vid but it'll look substantially better on a CRT. That cable sounds like a good investment to me whether you stick with LCD or go CRT. It also looks like an easy mod though too so if you are that way inclined that could be a fun mod.

Edit: also consider if your LCD even has an s-video input, not many do these days.

Wayne Gretzky, eh? I should look into getting those. I absolutely LOVE the rest of Midway's sports games. I also need a copy of NFL Blitz. I've been trying to find one for a while around here, but I always only see NFL Blitz 2000. I can't find the original.
I played the series for a bit before, and I really liked it. I'm not a fan of football in real life, so I'm always confused by other games. I prefer the simplicity of Blitz. I did like the NFL 2K series a bit, though.

Anyway, here's my Midway sports collection so far:

NBA Hangtime for the N64 might just be my favorite. It used to be the Genesis version of NBA Jam, but the arcade perfect N64 port of NBA Hangtime managed to beat my favorite basketball game since childhood. It's just absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone with an N64.

Maxrunner

S-vid is a good improvement over composite but really the N64 has pretty bad picture quality all up compared to other systems. It'd probably still look pretty bad on your LCD in s-vid but it'll look substantially better on a CRT. That cable sounds like a good investment to me whether you stick with LCD or go CRT. It also looks like an easy mod though too so if you are that way inclined that could be a fun mod.

Edit: also consider if your LCD even has an s-video input, not many do these days.

Hi that cable is not a mod, there's a store in uk that sells them:

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

Rich!

Sigh...first thing my idiot brother does when he sees my room is flip his shit because apparently the transparent blue N64 is his, and I sold it to him at some point.

I don't remember doing that, but hey ho. My RGB modded console is now back in it's drab black casing. Ah well.

Peagles

Sigh...first thing my idiot brother does when he sees my room is flip his shit because apparently the transparent blue N64 is his, and I sold it to him at some point.

I don't remember doing that, but hey ho. My RGB modded console is now back in it's drab black casing. Ah well.

I think it's okay to double post to say that is some lame shit. Brothers suck sometimes. Offer to buy it off him for $20, lol.

Rich!

I think it's okay to double post to say that is some lame shit. Brothers suck sometimes. Offer to buy it off him for $20, lol.

Nah, I sold it to him for £80 years back apparently, and he literally hates me as a person...so yeah.

Ah well. Can't wait to get this framemeister and see how my RGB N64 looks on it.

Peagles

Nah, I sold it to him for £80 years back apparently, and he literally hates me as a person...so yeah.

Ah well. Can't wait to get this framemeister and see how my RGB N64 looks on it.

Ah well. As long as you got your sweet RGB mod outta there. It's what's on the inside that counts :)

Riky

$MSFT
I remember importing an NTSC machine into the UK before the PAL launch because I was desperate to play Mario 64 and Killer Instinct, glad I did when I saw the 50hz bordered Pal versions when it arrived.

Still got all my games and several consoles including at least three of those Pikachu editions in my loft, I'll get some photos and load them up.

tipoo

Banned
I haven't read much of this thread, but is it possible to let n64 games run at a higher framerate than designed for without everything starting to move/talk super fast?

boyshine

First 9 just arrived!

35 007 The World is not Enough
36 Spacestation Silicon Valley
37 Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
38 Star Wars Rogue Squadron
39 Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
40 Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
41 Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
42 Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
43 Turok Rage Wars

quest64part145rf4.jpg

Vexxan

Started bidding on some N64 stuff today, mainly looking to get a copy of Japanese Super Smash Bros. and perhaps another Hori controller if I can find one that doesn't cost me $90 like the last one.

Damn you customs!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I want to play Sin and Punishment on my US system. What's the best way for me to do this without breaking anything on the system or cartridge?

boyshine

Huh. Shadows of the Empire controls a lot better than I remembered it. This might've been a case of playing a game while not yet quite comfortable with 3D and analog. I love these discoveries.

Peagles

I want to play Sin and Punishment on my US system. What's the best way for me to do this without breaking anything on the system or cartridge?

You could get rid of the tabs inside but that does involve physical damage. It's not visible from the outside though. Or get something like this which acts as a passthrough...

The easiest way is to buy a gamebit screwdriver (the larger size, for the system), take the N64 apart, and remove the plastic piece around the cart connection inside and the doors that cover it. If you ever cut out the two tabs from it you can then put it back together and get doors over the port again, but otherwise it's not too bad if you just keep a game in the system...

A passthrough cart like a Gameshark is an option too, but that doesn't look as nice and N64 Gamesharks aren't entirely reliable, so I wouldn't want to always have to have that plugged in for import games to work.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
A GameShark should work, too. Or any cheat cartridge, really. Same goes for the SNES and Genesis.

Yeah I was thinking a pass through cart of some kind would be my favored approach. I wasn't sure if there were any carts that were better than others like this. It looked like there are several options, didn't know which ones were the best.

I'm just going by what I've seen mentioned online. I don't own any Japanese N64 games, and I don't own any cheat devices besides a Game Genie for the Genesis and an Action Replay for the Saturn...both of which I bought just to play import games. Hah.

I do have Sin & Punishment on the Wii Virtual Console, though, as well as Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Both are fantastic games.

I got some N64 import games last year, and I did as I said: got the gamebit and removed the plastic part with the tabs on it. If I ever get those tabs cut out, I'll put it and the doors back in the system.

Either my Gameshark was too old, or it wasn't working right, but I'm pretty sure you need a newer version of the Gameshark to play Sin and Punishment.

Gamesharks are unreliable. Don't trust them to always work, or to work with all games.

Rich!

Use the melted pen method to remove the screws holding the back of the Sin & Punishment cartridge so it'll fit in to a North American N64. You can put it back together after you're finished. Here's a video showing the melted pen method of removing Nintendo proprietary screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKfGxEL19o

I would heavy recommend against using the melted pen method unless you want gunk all over your console.

A gamebit screwdriver is only a quid on eBay, no need for anyone to not buy one.

Just got a Gameshark 3.3 + Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, and after two solid days of entering translation codes/renaming every wrestler, I am now in AKI heaven. Can't wait to dig into the CAW options this weekend and recreate some modern wrestlers.

Anyone who collects AKI N64 games: how hard is it to find a fixed copy of No Mercy? I've been looking for months, and outside of this one dude charging $75 for a sealed copy, none have shown up. I'm tempted to pick up a glitched copy at my local pawn for $6 but I really don't want to lose my progress/CAWs after a few years.

Top Bottom