• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

JP version of MarioKart is totally worth it just for the "proper" advertising boards around the tracks.
Mario Kart is my favorite video game franchise so I purchased a Japanese copy of MK64 too.

MK64Japanese.jpg

I've modded the cartridge so that it'll play in my North American Nintendo 64 console. It would have been nice if Nintendo had released a "Shindou" version with Rumble Pak support like they did with Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64.

Mario Kart 64 is a brilliant game with so much nostalgia. I absolutely love it and still play it often on my Wii when friends come over.

I remember a local import store getting the JP MarioKart 64 in, it was the bundle package with the controller and I paid £120 for it!!!! That is around $196 - I must have been nuts. But for my money it is still the best MarioKart out there. I don't have much time for Karts that grow wings or can go underwater....spoils the purity of racing for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Speaking of Shindou, is Mario 64 rumble version worth it? I mean does it just feel tacked on?

Now that I have a rumble pack (yay starfox) I'll have to test out how mario64 handles it. Besides that it's got all the added voice samples and optimizations from the international version, so I'd say it's worth it if you only have the original.

Teknoman

It's good.

Now that I have a rumble pack (yay starfox) I'll have to test out how mario64 handles it. Besides that it's got all the added voice samples and optimizations from the international version, so I'd say it's worth it if you only have the original.

Yeah all i've got is the NA release, but I just saw a video about Rumble Pak updated games the other day. One the one hand, its not content different, but on the other hand... RUMBLE.

Sakujou

Banned
Mario Kart is my favorite video game franchise so I purchased a Japanese copy of MK64 too.

MK64Japanese.jpg

I've modded the cartridge so that it'll play in my North American Nintendo 64 console. It would have been nice if Nintendo had released a "Shindou" version with Rumble Pak support like they did with Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64.

Mario Kart 64 is a brilliant game with so much nostalgia. I absolutely love it and still play it often on my Wii when friends come over.

tell me more about modding a cartridge!?!!? what to do to play a japanese cart on a PAL or US machine???

i want to import some US goodness to PAL, but i dont want to buy another system...

was last week in japan and was considering buying some n64 games... but then again... i cant read shit, and i mostly buy shoot em ups or games with next to no language-barriers to play them in germany.

Teknoman

Take a gamebit screwdriver, unscrew some random N64 cart from your region, replace the back of the JP cart with that back.

Game time.

EDIT: Right, this only works when playing a JP cart on NA hardware.

Peagles

tell me more about modding a cartridge!?!!? what to do to play a japanese cart on a PAL or US machine???

i want to import some US goodness to PAL, but i dont want to buy another system...

was last week in japan and was considering buying some n64 games... but then again... i cant read shit, and i mostly buy shoot em ups or games with next to no language-barriers to play them in germany.

No can do. You need an NTSC system to play NTSC games unless you want to use some kind of converter. JP and NA are interchangeable though.

Sakujou

Banned
oh damn... i see... i thought they are with a trick region free... almost had a heart attack.

i want to play snowboard kids 2 and fighters destiny 2. i drooled so much back then over these two in magazines only to realize, that they got canned for germany.

i found out a few years ago, there was a pal release for snowboard kids 2, but only in australia. and these cartridges are rare as fuck and get auctioned for more then 150 dollars.

no way, that iam going to such expensive shit. :(

edit:

i have another question: how good does the controller-support with usb work on a computer?

i consider right now to buy this retrode thing to play my stuff with an emulator... except snes and md, i never played any good emulated games. can someone show me pics of the setups and maybe comparisons?
btw. iam right now mobile...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

MK64Japanese.jpg

I've also got a JPN Mario Kart and a modded US N64 console. I really do need to get it down from the loft and give it a play from time to time.

can someone show me pics of the setups and maybe comparisons?

I'm interested in this too as I'm seriously considering building a PC just to play N64 emulated games and putting all my cartridges in storage to keep them minty. Besides, I'd like to play some Super Smash Bros. on-line to see how I measure up. The videos I've seen of others playing on-line are amazing. Maybe I'll even run in to Isai. : )

Raw64life

I'm in the process of backing up all my video game saves to my computer and boy has the N64 been a nightmare in this regard. I used this video to get my saves onto my computer but the Dex Drive only puts your shit in .n64 format. I tried doing what is shown in this video but I couldn't get any of them to work, likely because all the games I tried kept the saves internally and not actually on the memory pak. So basically I just wasted a lot of time and money. I want to keep looking for a solution but it looks like I might just be stuck waiting until the N64 Retrode add on supports save backups, which isn't looking very promising at all seeing as they're not even working on a solution at the moment.

I know part of the reason that the Wii Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. is so popular is because you never have to worry about the battery dying and losing the characters you've unlocked. Sadly, SSB is one of those games that uses an internal battery to save one's progress and stats.

-KRS-

As does Ocarina of Time and (I think but I'm not completely sure) Majora's Mask as well. And Mario 64. It's a shame Nintendo didn't switch to battery-less saves in the beginning of the gen. Later games like Perfect Dark don't use batteries.

Rich!

I'm interested in this too as I'm seriously considering building a PC just to play N64 emulated games and putting all my cartridges in storage to keep them minty. Besides, I'd like to play some Super Smash Bros. on-line to see how I measure up. The videos I've seen of others playing on-line are amazing. Maybe I'll even run in to Isai. : )

You don't need to build a PC to play N64 games. A £30 raspberry pi is enough to play most of them heh

illadelph

Dude I work with randomly makes Banjo-Kazooie "BREEEEE!!!" noises

Reminds me I never got past the second level of Tooie

Anth0ny

This thread has been a terrible influence.

Seriously. I see stuff like this:

MK64Japanese.jpg

And now I just want to import a bunch of Japanese N64 games CIB ; _ ;

Drainer

Banned
The Mupen emulator on OUYA is a bit hit and miss.

Mario Tennis and Yoshis Story are write offs. FIFA 99 is hilariously glitchy.

Mario Kart and Marion64 seem the most consistent thus far.

I wish ALL my carts worked so I never feel tempted to pull out my 64. My NES, SNES, Master System and Megadrive emulators are flawless on OUYA.

I downloaded Nostalgia for $1 which bundles the emulators together, downloads box art for my games and lets me pick what I play. It's fantastic.

I never need to pull my old consoles out again.

Grizzo

oh damn... i see... i thought they are with a trick region free... almost had a heart attack.

i want to play snowboard kids 2 and fighters destiny 2. i drooled so much back then over these two in magazines only to realize, that they got canned for germany.

i found out a few years ago, there was a pal release for snowboard kids 2, but only in australia. and these cartridges are rare as fuck and get auctioned for more then 150 dollars.

Same as you. Snowboard Kids 2 and Harvest Moon 64 are the two games I'd like to play the most :(

Also Dr Mario 64, if only for that 4-player mode.

Seriously. I see stuff like this:

And now I just want to import a bunch of Japanese N64 games CIB ; _ ;
The Japanese people, in general, take amazing care of their games. Every Japanese game I've ever ordered is always in better shape than the seller describes.

Take a look at my Shindou version of Wave Race 64.

Everythingbutthegame.jpg

IntheN64.jpg

This game is undeniably a masterpiece with brilliant wave physics that are made even more real with Rumble Pak support.

Anth0ny

The Japanese people, in general, take amazing care of their games. Every Japanese game I've ever ordered is always in better shape than the seller describes.

It's true. My Japanese CIB games are:

Super Metroid
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Crystal

And they're damn near mint condition. It's unreal.

I need more. But wallet screams no, but my heart screams yes.

My second favorite game on the N64 is probably Super Smash Bros. so I ordered the Japanese version because it has slightly different sound effects for the punches and beam sword.

Envelope.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

Look how nicely the Japanese seller packaged it to makes sure it arrived in as pristine condition as when he shipped it. I LOVE the Japanese people and I hope to visit that strange and mysterious land of the rising sun some day.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Yeah I went on a trip to Japan a couple summers ago, and went to the Nipponbashi district in Osaka. It's like the Akihabara of Osaka. There were several used games stores there, and I was just amazed how much better the games looked compared to going to your typical GameStop or something. It was even pretty easy to get stuff like GBA games CIB.

-KRS-

It's true. My Japanese CIB games are:

Super Metroid
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Crystal

And they're damn near mint condition. It's unreal.

I need more. But wallet screams no, but my heart screams yes.

Well at least since they do take care of their games better, it's also cheaper to buy Japanese games CIB because there are more of them! :)

You don't need to build a PC to play N64 games. A £30 raspberry pi is enough to play most of them heh
I'd like to have a PC connected to my HDTV that'll emulate both N64 and GameCube software.

Sometimes I'm amazed by how popular N64 software still is. Sure, the hardware itself is getting a little long in the tooth but much of the console's software is timeless. Case in point, many people are still playing Super Smash Bros. competitively despite the fact that two sequels have been released on more powerful systems.

During the holiday season of 1997 my local Blockbuster Video had replaced Super Mario 64 in the promotional kiosk with Mario Kart 64. As some of you may be aware, MK64 is my favorite game on the N64 having spent literally hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it with friends. I was in Blockbuster browsing around Christmas time because N64 games were still rather pricey back then so I tended to rent before committing to a purchase.

There was a hardcore gamer looking guy of about 19 years old playing Mario Kart 64 and I could tell he had some skills because he was pulling off mini-turbos around just about every corner. He must have noticed me watching him because he arrogantly mentioned that MK64 was also a multiplayer game and would I like to race against him. I hesitated for just a brief moment but instinct got the better of me and before I knew it I had controller number 2 clutched tightly in my hands, and I was counter-picking Wario to his choice of Donkey Kong. I guess in the heady moments leading up to our race I reckoned he'd try to bump me off the track if I picked a lighter yet more forgiving character like Toad or Yoshi. I let him pick the track and engine size for our versus bout and he showed absolutely no mercy by picking Royal Raceway and 150cc so immediately I knew this guy meant business.

We both got the turbo at the start of the race which seemed to take my opponent by surprise and I felt him hesitate ever so slightly as we approached the first turn. He compounded his error further by not getting a full mini-turbo which allowed me to pull ahead as we made our way down to the edge of the lake which rests tranquilly at the center of the track. As luck would have it, I had picked up a single banana as my item and I opted to gamble by dropping it at the bend rather than dragging it behind me. My gambit paid off as I heard DK squeal in distress as he spun out of control and in to the lake. Within ten seconds of the start of the race my opponent standing next to me was already grumbling under his breath. He was far too skilled and hardened a warrior to admit defeat so early as he knew that Mario Kart 64 offers up a wicked level of handicap advantage to those who fall behind, and sure enough his next trip through an item box rewarded him with a deadly red shell. By this point I had also been granted a practical implement, given the fact that I was in first place, in the form of a green shell and this time I wisely chose to drag it behind me for defense. Yeah, this guy was quite the tactician as he showed the patience to wait until I was on the other side of the ramp and in the S-turn before launching his homing shell but to no avail as it harmlessly hit the green shell I had in tow.

By this point a small crowd had gathered behind us to take in the spectacle. I never dared look back at them as I knew a victory would take every ounce of concentration I could muster but I was aware of the spectators at a near subconscious level. Besides, they occasionally made their presence known by their guttural gasps whenever they sensed a possible lead change.

Royal Raceway is a very long track and we did jockey for position several times as the slightest error on either of our behalves would cost us the lead. It became apparent that the winner of this race wasn't going to be the person with the better driving ability but the challenger with the sharper mind and an edge in luck. Much luck was needed too as versus also ramps up the excitement by placing yellow bombs on the track which can be, and often are, game-changers if one errantly collides with them.

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did - the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping forward to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Rich!

The moment I remember most about the N64 was back in 1996 when Toys R Us first set up a demo of Mario 64. Console wasn't out for another 6 months here in the UK

it blew my fucking mind

guy in front of me said it was fucking awesome

I said "YES, THIS IS FUCKING GOOD"

my parents heard, had a go at me, and then my dad saw how amazing it was and said "yeah that's bloody amazing, but don't swear"

I still remember when I got GoldenEye and I would come home each day from school only to find my dad playing on it and refusing to let me have a go. And guess what, now I'm back living at his house for the time being, the exact same thing happens when I come back from work. bastard!

Coreda

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did - the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping forward to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Tpjrg.gif

Zalman

My friend just found his old Nintendo 64 and decided to hook it up, but the colors were way too bright. I took a look at it and I noticed his AV cables weren't Nintendo branded. Is this a widely known issue? Would he have to track down some official cables or is there a fix?

So, i'm not man enough to attempt an RGB mod for the N64, i'll have to settle for S Video.

How do i go about finding good S-Video cables that aren't just taking the composite signal and routing it to svideo like most of the cheap ebay and 3rd party cables do?

I play on a CRT so S-Video still is a huge improvement over composite. I do have RGB for SNES and genesis, but i think a little blur isn't so bad for N64.

Noob question here. I have an North America region N64 and a collection of 30 games, but had to get rid of my CRT last year. I'd like to play on the original hardware and I'm fine with composite output, but I don't have space for a CRT. Are there any standalone SD monitors that I could hook up to my N64 through composite? Just a monitor by itself would be fine with my space limitations, but a CRT would be too much.

Rich!

Noob question here. I have an North America region N64 and a collection of 30 games, but had to get rid of my CRT last year. I'd like to play on the original hardware and I'm fine with composite output, but I don't have space for a CRT. Are there any standalone SD monitors that I could hook up to my N64 through composite? Just a monitor by itself would be fine with my space limitations, but a CRT would be too much.

Monitors? Not unless you get a PVM.

Regardless, either an SD monitor or a PVM will take up exactly the same space as a CRT.

Monitors? Not unless you get a PVM.

Regardless, either an SD monitor or a PVM will take up exactly the same space as a CRT.

Alright, looks like I'm stuck with RGB modding and importing an XRGB Framemeister. Was trying to see if there was some other way without emulating or paying the same cost as a new console to play my old games. But if that's the only way, then cool.

Rich!

Alright, looks like I'm stuck with RGB modding and importing an XRGB Framemeister. Was trying to see if there was some other way without emulating or paying the same cost as a new console to play my old games. But if that's the only way, then cool.

I guess so, yeah. Most if not all TV sets in the UK have native RGB support through SCART, but you'd still need a modded console even for that.

Regardless, I do have to say that the N64's 3D graphics in most cases look TERRIBLE, even through an XRGB or RGB CRT. 2D sprites (Mario 64, Yoshi's Story, GoldenEye menus, Pokemon Puzzle League) look fucking fantastic as do the majority of the HUDs in games. The 3D graphics however are a fucking jaggy low res shitty mess.

dhonk

Does anyone just visit the various collecting threads and are all "OH FUCK OFF, WELL NOW I WANT THAT".

I can't collect for all systems, but I come in here and start drooling. The branding of the N64 sets of my nostalgia so baaaaaaaaaaaad. I love that logo, I love it all.

Top Bottom