• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

IrishNinja

I'm still waiting for my everdrive64 that I ordered on Black Friday so you're not alone

ah, did you get a shipping confirmation though? i didn't for nearly a week, emailed them & had it within hours. mine arrived last week, and it works great! the SNES one had to be sent back, but man the ED64 loads like a champ

God knows what he's doing on the other end of the phone while random people growl. Some people have weird fetishes.

true, but look at those boxes! ive prolly done more for less, all things considered

ah, did you get a shipping confirmation though? i didn't for nearly a week, emailed them & had it within hours. mine arrived last week, and it works great! the SNES one had to be sent back, but man the ED64 loads like a champ

Mine came today!

I just spent the past few hours playing with it. Works more or less how my mega everdrive does so I knew what to expect. Fantastic device.

There is a real lack of quality captured footage for some of these n64 games on Youtube. I have the stuff to capture in high quality. I'm tempted to start throwing some stuff up.

Timu

There is a real lack of quality captured footage for some of these n64 games on Youtube. I have the stuff to capture in high quality. I'm tempted to start throwing some stuff up.
Yep, and I have a capture card that I can record them in high quality as well, starting in 2016 I'll get high quality N64 footage on my channel.

Finally got a set of N64 emulators setup. It literally took me 2 days to collect and work out how to configure all the plugins and I have to keep an x86 build of Project64 around since only a handful of plugins have 64 bit versions. It does get a little early when you realize HatCat has approximately 40 000 usernames though. How do people deal with this ? Especially when it comes to keeping plugins up to date.

Also I can't help but be mildly amused that the best PC emulation for some games is running them as VC games through Dolphin.

onken

Just sharing this in case no-one else knew, but I just found out there was a modified version of 1964 released that had a hardware overclock feature. Goldeneye at 60+ fps native is now possible and damn it's so good, have been playing it all afternoon! The default plugins it come with suck but you can use Rice/Jabo/Nrage ones from PJ64 etc. and they work great! Apparently works with Perfect Dark too, going to try that next.

http://www.emulation64.com/files/info/944/1964-ultrafast.html/

-KRS-

Are there some games that don't run on ED64? Looking to grab one.

Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini used to have problems on flashcarts in the past since they use the 6105 lockout chip, but I think both games have been patched to work now. I definitely remember there being some news about Banjo Tooie receiving a patch a while back. I also remember something about Donkey Kong 64 having issues with saves not working but there's a patch for that as well. Other than that there shouldn't be any issues with any other games. Actually I think I read somewhere the ED64 might even apply the patches itself, but I could be wrong about that. I have a 64drive myself.

Saven

Banned
Hey guys, there seems to be someone in the Spanish community that has figured out how to disassemble the polygons on the N64:

Goldeneye AI

Smash Bros Hit Detection

PSX and N64 comparison (RE2, MK4, etc.)

There is a lot more interesting stuff from the same user on these pages here showing off different polygons and stuff:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Conker:
7X2avZ1.png

Turok 2 (from the intro, and it appears to be 3000 polys):
fgj38jq.gif

Wave Race 64:
FgaY7FB.gif

Zpt0MBF.gif

Don't know too much Spanish myself, but this is very interesting!

Also:
cxuwJ5K.gif

SKINNER!

Banned
Happy new year everyone.

During the holiday period, I took my everdrive 64 to my friend's house and his PAL n64 is hooked up to a LED Monitor using a AV to HDMI adapter. Found it to look a bit ugly but it was still playable. One thing we noticed though was that while PAL games looked fine on it. NTSC games looked pretty bad. Blurry picture and it didn't even fit the screen proper. The left side had a black/red border while the right side - we believe - is cropped.

I'm now thinking of doing a similar setup where I can conveniently hookup my N64 to my monitor without the need of carrying the CRT around the house. I've been looking at S-Video cables and I'm thinking of picking it up but I'm curious to know if I'll have problems playing NTSC games through my everdrive 64.

Anyone experienced this?

Happy new year everyone.

During the holiday period, I took my everdrive 64 to my friend's house and his PAL n64 is hooked up to a LED Monitor using a AV to HDMI adapter. Found it to look a bit ugly but it was still playable. One thing we noticed though was that while PAL games looked fine on it. NTSC games looked pretty bad. Blurry picture and it didn't even fit the screen proper. The left side had a black/red border while the right side - we believe - is cropped.

I'm now thinking of doing a similar setup where I can conveniently hookup my N64 to my monitor without the need of carrying the CRT around the house. I've been looking at S-Video cables and I'm thinking of picking it up but I'm curious to know if I'll have problems playing NTSC games through my everdrive 64.

Anyone experienced this?
I've played NTSC roms on my PAL n64 with no issues that I can recall. I've also used it with s-video on a Sony LCD TV which worked fine but s-video ports are much rarer on TVs now.

I did need to buy a PAL specific everdrive but IIRC that was just an option I selected at checkout.

IrishNinja

Are there some games that don't run on ED64? Looking to grab one.

Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini used to have problems on flashcarts in the past since they use the 6105 lockout chip, but I think both games have been patched to work now. I definitely remember there being some news about Banjo Tooie receiving a patch a while back. I also remember something about Donkey Kong 64 having issues with saves not working but there's a patch for that as well. Other than that there shouldn't be any issues with any other games. Actually I think I read somewhere the ED64 might even apply the patches itself, but I could be wrong about that. I have a 64drive myself.

yeah, they're running fine on mine! i think animal crossing or stuff that used the clock was supposed to give you trouble? again, even 64DD games are being dumped recently too

IrishNinja

Incidentally, these showed up this past weekend. Never did get a tracking #, though.

i think he said you don't really get one, cause of ukraine post? but i did get something tha ti used through a link from his site, and really didn't tell me much of anything, honestly.

currently waiting to hear when he receives my return, communication seems pretty good for what seems like a small crew.

SKINNER!

Banned
I've played NTSC roms on my PAL n64 with no issues that I can recall. I've also used it with s-video on a Sony LCD TV which worked fine but s-video ports are much rarer on TVs now.

I did need to buy a PAL specific everdrive but IIRC that was just an option I selected at checkout.

Thanks for the response buddy :) I discovered it was the TV that was the issue. Case closed.

Yeah, if you got a V1 Everdrive 64 then you need to patch Banjo Tooie, JFG and DK64 in order to get them to work. Well, JFG will work without the patch but the controls are all messed up for anti piracy reasons. Everdrive V2 and V3 don't need the patches as the roms are patched automatically by the Everdrive when they're loaded I believe. Only games that are incompatible with V1 and V2 are Pokemon Stadium 2 and Animal Crossing. I've heard that Pokemon Stadium does load but it crashes when you try to save or enter the mini games section. Haven't tried that myself. V3 plays all games.

vocab

So if I want a new n64 controller what are my options? If someone can point me to a website or a specific seller that sells good ones pm me. The one I have are at the end of their lifespan with the analog stick. It makes playing games extremely hard.

D.Lo

Being a huge WipEout and Ridge Racer fan, I recently went back and played two entries I'd missed back in the 90's on the N64. You can check out my experience on my blog entry!
http://residentdante.blogspot.no/2016/01/64-is-new-sequel.html
(Not an experienced writer or anything, but I enjoy jotting down a bit of thoughts on titles I play through)
Nice write up!

Totally agree too. RR64 is very much an alternate universe Ridge Racer 3, and damn fun because of it. It and Rage Racer are my go-to RR games for classic arcade racing fun.

Is there any easy way to play Pal games on a NA or jp console?
Not really. You need a converter, and I'm not sure they made many that can handle that direction (most made for PAL to play NTSC).

Nice write up!

Totally agree too. RR64 is very much an alternate universe Ridge Racer 3, and damn fun because of it. It and Rage Racer are my go-to RR games for classic arcade racing fun.

Thanks! Yeah RR64 works surprisingly well with it's own sort of continuation of RR1 and RRR. Nice to hear there are other Rage Racer fans here too, that game has just stood out as one of my favourite arcade racers through the years! I did a write up on the RR series and especially Rage and R4 on my blog too, if you're interested!

D.Lo

R4 was the like 'oh crap we have to do Gran Turrismo now' and was also the weird period where Namco put stories in all their games. It has the fancy motion blur and more tracks though.

Whereas Rage (and 64) are in the original spirit of Ridge Racer - Sega Rally rip-offs. Solid, fun, simple arcade racers. One GOOD track is better than 20 boring ones. No goddamn car tweaking.

R4 was the like 'oh crap we have to do Gran Turrismo now' and was also the weird period where Namco put stories in all their games. It has the fancy motion blur and more tracks though.

Whereas Rage (and 64) are in the original spirit of Ridge Racer - Sega Rally rip-offs. Solid, fun, simple arcade racers. One GOOD track is better than 20 boring ones. No goddamn car tweaking.

I really missed the car upgrade system from Rage in R4. It was this really simple three-step upgrade system, I loved how the cars just looked even more bad ass for each upgrade too.

I like the N64 pad, but the analog stick becoming unusable over time is a huge flaw.

Mine was definitely loose before, but I thought it might be fine for use; however, actually trying it out on some games (like Tonic Trouble and Super Mario 64) last night, it seems to have serious issues maxing out the axes and generally feels all wrong (better in SM64, admittedly, but still not 100%). Bleh.

I did get those gears from Kitsch-Bent, I should see about installing them already. (I should probably just buy another controller, too, since I only have the one.)

What Lucky said.

What the? I love the Gamecube controller. I prefer it over the N64 pad when it comes to shooters...which I will get more of on N64.

Just to be clear, I'm not trolling, or trying to be funny, I just think it's one of the worst designed controllers. I hate the position of the Z-trigger, I don't like the shape and feel of the x & y buttons. I hate how the A button is much larger than the B button and can'tt stand that c-stick. And I think the position of the d-pad is much lower than it should be. N64 controller isn't perfect by any means, but I like the size and feel and enjoy FPS games on it.

D.Lo

Gamecube controller is the total boss. Best build quality of the era by far. Especially the vastly superior sticks. Confortable as hell.

Apart from Z button (it's not a trigger just because it's called Z), but it's basically just a 'select' button. Also the dpad is too small and not positioned well enough to use as a main input, but it's fine as a secondary (eg in Metroid Prime).

It has a central action button, with three surrounding buttons. The B button in smaller because it was originally a directional 'bean' shape like the other two, but since the thumb comes in from the bottom it is made smaller so you don't bump it. It's the only controller ever where a relatively new user can follow an on-screen visual command to hit a certain button without looking down (since X/Y/B are effectively directional action buttons). Much better than Sony's retarded shapes which take people months to learn. And Dreamcast and Xbox changing the letter positions of the SNES layout, freaking stupid.

C-stick is great. Works perfectly as a camera controller. It wasn't built for FPS originally but I kicked everyone's ass at timeslitters with it so never had any issues.

It was visionary for 3rd person 3D games, with a few bad choices.

It's not as versatile as, say, the Dual Shock, but that's because that's an SNES pad with N64 features cheaply grafted on by Sony's copycat hacks. It's a Frankensten.

Anyway, I use a Hori Mini pad, which is sort of Gamecube-like but with the N64 layout, which is perfect for N64 games which were built for the original layout.

TSM

I couldn't resist jumping on the HDMI upgrade. I got my console back from Bad Ass Consoles just after new year, and I finally got around to taking some screenshots. All shots are with sharp pixels and deblur on:

Conker's Bad Fur Day:
conkerbd2jrf.png

conkercockepj7h.png

conkerlogoedk59.png

conkerphoneanjdb.png

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:
ootganonaqkhu.png

ootintro7gk4a.png

ootkokiriva5k49.png

ootzeldanyjwp.png

Pokemon Puzzle League:
pplbattlenljxy.png

ppltitlej7ko1.png

Super Mario 64
smfireselect3qjxd.png

sminside7okyy.png

smslideentryawjo1.png

smstarselectrnjuw.png

Overall the video quality is fantastic and setup was a breeze. Highly recommended if you want to play the N64 with the vaseline filter turned off.

Timu

Gamecube controller is the total boss. Best build quality of the era by far. Especially the vastly superior sticks. Confortable as hell.

Apart from Z button (it's not a trigger just because it's called Z), but it's basically just a 'select' button. Also the dpad is too small and not positioned well enough to use as a main input, but it's fine as a secondary (eg in Metroid Prime).

It has a central action button, with three surrounding buttons. The B button in smaller because it was originally a directional 'bean' shape like the other two, but since the thumb comes in from the bottom it is made smaller so you don't bump it. It's the only controller ever where a relatively new user can follow an on-screen visual command to hit a certain button without looking down (since X/Y/B are effectively directional action buttons). Much better than Sony's retarded shapes which take people months to learn. And Dreamcast and Xbox changing the letter positions of the SNES layout, freaking stupid.

C-stick is great. Works perfectly as a camera controller. It wasn't built for FPS originally but I kicked everyone's ass at timeslitters with it so never had any issues.

It was visionary for 3rd person 3D games, with a few bad choices.

It's not as versatile as, say, the Dual Shock, but that's because that's an SNES pad with N64 features cheaply grafted on by Sony's copycat hacks. It's a Frankensten.

Anyway, I use a Hori Mini pad, which is sort of Gamecube-like but with the N64 layout, which is perfect for N64 games which were built for the original layout.
I agree with everything you said, well done.

I couldn't resist jumping on the HDMI upgrade. I got my console back from Bad Ass Consoles just after new year, and I finally got around to taking some screenshots. All shots are with sharp pixels and deblur on:

Overall the video quality is fantastic and setup was a breeze. Highly recommended if you want to play the N64 with the vaseline filter turned off.
Oh, wow, that looks awesome!

TSM

I also bought this gamecube to n64 adapter and have been playing using my wavebird. The adapter works flawlessly out of the box.

I'm also trying to resurrect 3 N64 controllers I have, but it's very frustrating. The analog design Nintendo chose is ridiculous and every controller is destined to fail miserably. I bought the replacement gears and am going to see how that goes.

Edit: Here's some shots "retro" mode on:

Rongolian

Banned
I also bought this gamecube to n64 adapter and have been playing using my wavebird. The adapter works flawlessly out of the box.

I'm also trying to resurrect 3 N64 controllers I have, but it's very frustrating. The analog design Nintendo chose is ridiculous and every controller is destined to fail miserably. I bought the replacement gears and am going to see how that goes.

Edit: Here's some shots "retro" mode on:

I wonder why the scanlines don't draw properly on the bright red colors? Is that some setting that you can adjust?

TSM

I wonder why the scanlines don't draw properly on the bright red colors? Is that some setting that you can adjust?

That's part of the retro effect. When cheaper CRTs overdrive the phosphurs the scanlines appear to vanish. You'll see that effect anytime you have fields of highly saturated colors.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I heard there was some lag with the HDMI mod, does that annoy you, or is it exaggerated?

Top Bottom