• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I also feel like the point of keeping these old consoles and games around, is to get a somewhat autentic experience, and Im not sure the Horipad would do that for me as much as the original and bulky N64-controller.

Lynd7

The Hori Mini is great, if you love your N64 I think its a good idea to have at least one. Sticks won't wear out.

I got used to the different feel pretty quick as well.

Peltz

I also feel like the point of keeping these old consoles and games around, is to get a somewhat autentic experience, and Im not sure the Horipad would do that for me as much as the original and bulky N64-controller.

I like your style. I feel the same way.

That's what I've wanted to know, because apparently all of the ones out for sale can't do the Zelda quick-slash (full circle then B) or Smash attacks in Smash Bros..

-KRS-

I bought those that look and work a bit like GC analog sticks, but I don't like them very much. I know there are third party sticks that are just like the originals though. One of my friends bought a bunch of those. I haven't tried them a lot though but they seem alright. I think he got them from aliexpress or something like that.

Morfeo

I honestly dont remember were I bought mine, but I am pretty happy with them. They feel like the originals. Have not tried to do that Smash-move Shadow Hog is talking about though :)

Anyone else get motion sickness playing Doom 64? I played through this at launch and had no problems. Now I can't get past the first level without feeling like I'm going to hurl.

Lynd7

don't those GCN style sticks suffer from dead zones and lack some directional sensitivity?

Yup, all the replacement sticks aren't that good. I don't know of one you can buy that is close to the original in terms of the correct ranges and sensitivity.

You can however get a custom PCB a guy named Micro created, insert that into one of the Cube style sticks, it gets it very close. However, he has sold out of his 3.0 batch and its unclear if he will do another order.

Advice needed here:

I frequent the super Nintendo retro thread, and I'm looking into getting into into 64 stuff.

The reason I got into super Nintendo collecting was because it was my favorite system, and the virtual console versions did not match up to my expectations. Also the selection was lacking. (Eg no Mario all stars, no Terranigma)

So... I'm at the same crossroads with respect to 64.

I have the opportunity to get a good condition N64, with Mario 64, both Banjos, Starfox, Wave Race, DK, and expansion pack for like $150 or so. I used to love all those games, except for banjo which I never played until recently.

BUT I already have an Xbox one with rare replay and a WiiU with Mario 64 and DK64.

Pointless to get an N64, right? I do notice input lag on the U though. So much so I don't enjoy Mario 64. And the classic controller is not the N64 controller :)

Rare replay (ie banjo) seems fine but it feels odd playing with an Xbox controller. The graphics are crazy good though.

So, is a real N64 hooked up with s-video going to give me a way better authentic experience than the VC?

My other question is, is a used Nintendo 64 controller still going to be decent? My 20 year old snes controllers are great (including an eBay SFC one). Not sure though if the analog sticks on the N64 have the same lasting strength.

Lynd7

Advice needed here:

I frequent the super Nintendo retro thread, and I'm looking into getting into into 64 stuff.

The reason I got into super Nintendo collecting was because it was my favorite system, and the virtual console versions did not match up to my expectations. Also the selection was lacking. (Eg no Mario all stars, no Terranigma)

So... I'm at the same crossroads with respect to 64.

I have the opportunity to get a good condition N64, with Mario 64, both Banjos, Starfox, Wave Race, DK, and expansion pack for like $150 or so. I used to love all those games, except for banjo which I never played until recently.

BUT I already have an Xbox one with rare replay and a WiiU with Mario 64 and DK64.

Pointless to get an N64, right? I do notice input lag on the U though. So much so I don't enjoy Mario 64. And the classic controller is not the N64 controller :)

Rare replay (ie banjo) seems fine but it feels odd playing with an Xbox controller. The graphics are crazy good though.

So, is a real N64 hooked up with s-video going to give me a way better authentic experience than the VC?

My other question is, is a used Nintendo 64 controller still going to be decent? My 20 year old snes controllers are great (including an eBay SFC one). Not sure though if the analog sticks on the N64 have the same lasting strength.

While S-Video hooked up directly to an HDTV will not compare that well to the emulated options visually, I'd still say it will be worth it to build a real N64 collection.The main problem is that a bunch of N64 games will never be available on any service most likely.

As for the controller, if you can find a like new control stick, using it lightly won't wear it down super fast. I still have my original controllers from back when I got my N64 in 99 and they are still very tight overall. A more long term option would be to invest in one of those Hori Mini controllers as they don't wear out.

If you have an XRGB, you could also look into getting the system modded for RGB output.

While S-Video hooked up directly to an HDTV will not compare that well to the emulated options visually, I'd still say it will be worth it to build a real N64 collection.The main problem is that a bunch of N64 games will never be available on any service most likely.

As for the controller, if you can find a like new control stick, using it lightly won't wear it down super fast. I still have my original controllers from back when I got my N64 in 99 and they are still very tight overall. A more long term option would be to invest in one of those Hori Mini controllers as they don't wear out.

If you have an XRGB, you could also look into getting the system modded for RGB output.

Thank you for the solid advice! My main concern is typically the controls. That's something that I have not been able to get used to with respect to virtual console options.

Lynd7

Thank you for the solid advice! My main concern is typically the controls. That's something that I have not been able to get used to with respect to virtual console options.

With the controllers, I found some people selling ones from Japan and they were all in pretty good condition. Although one guy was also an Australian and had come back with personally inspected ones.

There are also mods for the control sticks, but to have them be the best you need a custom PCB to replace what comes with the standard GameCube control replacement stick. Currently sold out though.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

This would be a good option if you must have the original controller feel. I think the Hori is really nice though once you adjust.

dhonk

Just a heads up, UltraHDMI is available at badassconsoles.com

The board cost to the installer is 130 each, so this install cost is incredibly generous. Watched the livestream of him installing and saw it working. Good stuff. I've got my order in! Sounds like I got the first order in too from what he said during the stream lol

Timu

The board cost to the installer is 130 each, so this install cost is incredibly generous. Watched the livestream of him installing and saw it working. Good stuff. I've got my order in! Sounds like I got the first order in too from what he said during the stream lol
Where does it say 130? Says 164 on my end.

Morfeo

Cool! Although, it sucks that he wont offer already modded consoles, will be unnecessary expensive for us euros to send a console over the sea when he can just get one from nearby and add in the cost.

AmyS

Edit: Found issue of EGM ( #52 November 1993 ) and here's a better scan.

Qd2AqgV.jpg

This is what really got me hyped for Nintendo Project Reality. Did not know at the time these were on SGI workstations.

Morfeo

Got in contact with BadAssconsoles, and seems he might be able to do finished mods, just a heads up for fellow europeans who dont want the hassle of first buying an american machine, then sending it back over the atlantic for him to work it.

I've actually been looking at all the various options for N64 stick repair, but it's like staring into the abyss.

There's at least two options for repairing the bowl - one involving metal putty and a 15mm iron ball, one involving Dremel tools and epoxy. On top of that, there's another route entirely that involves modifying the gears instead and putting a piece of a pen's barrel in on top of one of the gears, raising the stick up so it doesn't grind against the bowl in the first place. Then there's the gears themselves; the last of those three stick repair methods uses epoxy to repair the holes in the gears so the stick fits inside it like it's supposed to, but you can also buy newly-made gears from some place called Kitsch-Bent - although replacing the gears is only one part of many that can go wrong (two gears, with the bowl and the stick itself being two more, and apparently there's a fifth part to worry about although I'm not entirely sure which part that is).

So obviously, nobody can quite agree on how to fix the stick. So you should just get a replacement stick, right? Except they have sensitivity issues out the wazoo, meaning you might be able to head in certain directions at all, or head in those directions at certain speeds (eg: Mario can't tiptoe in SM64, he can only walk slowly and run full-tilt). And there's not even one kind of stick, and some are far more acceptable than others. IIRC the GC stick is the one to avoid, although now there's two revisions of it, and then there's the PCB that that one "micro" guy was making but isn't anymore that fixes many, but not all, of the first revision's problems. There's also an OEM-styled stick, and some potentiometer-based OEM-styled stick, and aaaaargh

Right now, I'm leaning toward doing the pen thing sometime, and greasing up the insides when I do so (because apparently Nintendo didn't lubricate the analog stick interiors at all or something?).

Lynd7

Yeah, there's no 100% easy fix or replacement for the N64 controls. Micro's V3 PCB would still be the best option I think though if you can get them.

My first options are close to new OG controllers that I'll grease up, then the Hori, then once I get around to it I'll try installing the Micro PCB.

Yeah, there's no 100% easy fix or replacement for the N64 controls. Micro's V3 PCB would still be the best option I think though if you can get them.
You can't. He's stopped making them and has publicly stated he has no intentions of continuing at this time.

I mean, the upside is that he says he'll release the schematics when he's 100% sure he'll never make them again, but that hasn't happened yet, so.

Lynd7

You can't. He's stopped making them and has publicly stated he has no intentions of continuing at this time.

I mean, the upside is that he says he'll release the schematics when he's 100% sure he'll never make them again, but that hasn't happened yet, so.

Yeah I know, there's hope more will come eventually.

It'd be great if someone made an exact replica out of new parts. It's kinda surprising there isn't one out there that's completely accurate yet.

Genesis always needs a boost whenever possible, so looking forward to that.

I just finished part 1, for summaries of the 28 Genesis games starting with letters A and B. I guess I should make a thread for it on GAF? Here's the version on my site: http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=245

I've actually been looking at all the various options for N64 stick repair, but it's like staring into the abyss.

There's at least two options for repairing the bowl - one involving metal putty and a 15mm iron ball, one involving Dremel tools and epoxy. On top of that, there's another route entirely that involves modifying the gears instead and putting a piece of a pen's barrel in on top of one of the gears, raising the stick up so it doesn't grind against the bowl in the first place. Then there's the gears themselves; the last of those three stick repair methods uses epoxy to repair the holes in the gears so the stick fits inside it like it's supposed to, but you can also buy newly-made gears from some place called Kitsch-Bent - although replacing the gears is only one part of many that can go wrong (two gears, with the bowl and the stick itself being two more, and apparently there's a fifth part to worry about although I'm not entirely sure which part that is).

So obviously, nobody can quite agree on how to fix the stick. So you should just get a replacement stick, right? Except they have sensitivity issues out the wazoo, meaning you might be able to head in certain directions at all, or head in those directions at certain speeds (eg: Mario can't tiptoe in SM64, he can only walk slowly and run full-tilt). And there's not even one kind of stick, and some are far more acceptable than others. IIRC the GC stick is the one to avoid, although now there's two revisions of it, and then there's the PCB that that one "micro" guy was making but isn't anymore that fixes many, but not all, of the first revision's problems. There's also an OEM-styled stick, and some potentiometer-based OEM-styled stick, and aaaaargh

Right now, I'm leaning toward doing the pen thing sometime, and greasing up the insides when I do so (because apparently Nintendo didn't lubricate the analog stick interiors at all or something?).

Yeah, I'll definitely need to do one of these things sometime, but so far I haven't, and just keep using the sticks I have even though most have started to fade...

IrishNinja

+1, totally do the same most times

pretty cool to see! lookin forward to impressions on this thread

robot

Recently got back in the N64 game with the following package coming next week:

N64 w/ 1 controller (JPN)

JPN Games (all complete)
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
Ocarina of Time
Starfox 64
Snowboard Kids 1
Snowboard Kids 2
Yoshi Story
1080 Snowboarding

Going to use S-video for now and upgrade to Ultra HDMI after the holidays. Do Snes and GC S-Video cables work for N64? Any recommendations or just stick with the official ones?

-KRS-

Yes

Official 1st-party or Monster GCN S-Video cables are generally recommended in this thread

Although if it's a PAL N64 you'll need a specially made S-Video cable for it. Though I'm guessing from what you wrote that you have a JPN N64? If so, or a US one, carry on. :)

I've got one for you guys, I have a 64 from launch and I recently added the setup to my entertainment center, except I haven't been able to get picture or sound from it. I checked the cables and power, the system powers up, but there is nothing coming out. I'm going to get another set of a/v cables to double check, is there anything I can troubleshoot in the meantime?

BTails

I've got one for you guys, I have a 64 from launch and I recently added the setup to my entertainment center, except I haven't been able to get picture or sound from it. I checked the cables and power, the system powers up, but there is nothing coming out. I'm going to get another set of a/v cables to double check, is there anything I can troubleshoot in the meantime?

Have you tried multiple games? And have you cleaned the games and the cartridge input on the machine? I had a game that was dirty that caused the exact same issue: N64 booted up, but no picture or sound. Cracked that cart open, cleaned the contacts, and voila, no issues.

I actually have a copy of Tonic Trouble for which that didn't work.

I only noticed this weekend that the PCB might actually be cracked, which would certainly explain a lot. It's a bit faint, but you can see it roughly where the thin part of the PCB near the pins expands to the full width. Some pictures: 1 (crack is on the lower-left), 2 (lower-right).

I have to assume this is breaking some connection, so the pins aren't actually reading what they're supposed to. At this point, I might just buy another copy of the game; it'd actually be cheaper (at ~$8) than what this copy cost ($10).

Timu

The Cirka N64 controller is the worst N64 controller I've used, the joystick is ridiculously stiff as it's hard to move it even slightly.o_O

Top Bottom