• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ace Combat 6 thread of narrative bloat and online joy

Does anyone know the deal with the Japanese versions of the game? I couldn't find anything about them on the site.

I went to bic camera a few days ago and tried to reserve the bundle but they told me they couldn't reserve it because they didn't know how many they were getting. I went back after checking a few more places and decided to just reserve the game and then the guy said i could reserve the stick together with the game.

Are they selling the Japanese stick seperately? or was the guy just confused(as most japanese store clerks are).

RiskyChris said:
This game just got really awesome after a few missions.

I here ya.. first handful of missions seem way too easy and sorta drab but man this game gets super intense after a little bit. The visuals and sound are freak'n awsome.

Now with that said, this fall and winter season is flowing with some really nice games. COD4 next for me...

EGM92

Ok a BIG WTF with this game. I played for about 45 minutes, got to the Bartolomeo Fortress I turned off the console and had a snack. I came back 5 hrs later and I try loading up the save file, it literally took 7minutes at the blue screen "Accessing Storage Device blah blah blah" before the blade with the HDD popped up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Pakman

EGM92 said:
Ok a BIG WTF with this game. I played for about 45 minutes, got to the Bartolomeo Fortress I turned off the console and had a snack. I came back 5 hrs later and I try loading up the save file, it literally took 7minutes at the blue screen "Accessing Storage Device blah blah blah" before the blade with the HDD popped up. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't had issues with that in the game. It's probably that your HDD is not attached to your console firmly. Remove it and firmly reattach it. I had problems with my HDD when I first got my 360. A few times when I was trying to access it, the 360 couldn't find it. And another time it gave me a 1 red ring error - which was fixed by removing and reattaching the HDD.

EGM92

Pakman said:
I haven't had issues with that in the game. It's probably that your HDD is not attached to your console firmly. Remove it and firmly reattach it. I had problems with my HDD when I first got my 360. A few times when I was trying to access it, the 360 couldn't find it. And another time it gave me a 1 red ring error - which was fixed by removing and reattaching the HDD.

HDD is attached fine, Lost Planet finds the HDD less then 10sec. This isn't happening with my other games. Saving isn't an issue just the initial finding the Storage device.

Gowans007 said:
damn it! the games not region free BAH! month wait for me.
A month? I was thinking it was 2 weeks tops but then I was going by the play.com date (that was not a friday date so I should have known)

Saiyu

Xapati said:
Region lock is so last gen, I wish MS had just done what Sony did and gotten rid of it altogether. And I haven't heard anything about the flight stick here in Europe, so I doubt we'll get it.

Seriously. This was definetly one I was hoping not to be locked.

unomas

Banned
Finished the night top 10 in the world on Map #1. Not bad for a rocky start, but only 1,100 people are ranked at the moment so I'm a bit sketch about the sales of the game on day one. Map #5 is complete trash and Map #4 has a terrible spawn point that can be camped in a small game. The gameplay has improved from my first few hours online, but I'm still up in the air on keeping it or not. I would imagine if you were a fan before you will love this game, and I haven't touched the co-op or single player yet so who knows. Hope to see the rest of you online.

hoos30

I'm a total noob playing AC for the first time so I can't give any really useful impressions. I made it through the tutorial and the first mission before playing target practice for some heavily accented spanish speaking guys in "Battle Royale" (FFA). The game is beautiful and the dialog is CRAZY bloated.

Question: Is there something you can do to keep from getting locked-on every three seconds? I spend all of my time avoid missles and rarely get to put any offense into effect.

glaurung

hoos30 said:
Question: Is there something you can do to keep from getting locked-on every three seconds? I spend all of my time avoid missles and rarely get to put any offense into effect.

Alternate your flying all the time - speed, movement, altitude. But the enemies are good anyhow.

hoos30 said:

Well you're almost always going to be getting spiked by radar. You just need to know the difference between that, when a missile has been fired at you, and when a missile actually has a chance of hitting you. Pay attention to the different audible alerts and you use your radar and the right analog stick to look behind you. You'll come to realize that you're actually not in any real danger a lot of the time (i.e. missiles being really far behind you and not heading at a vector that poses any real danger).

hoos30

Valkyr Junkie said:
Well you're almost always going to be getting spiked by radar. You just need to know the difference between that, when a missile has been fired at you, and when a missile actually has a chance of hitting you. Pay attention to the different audible alerts and you use your radar and the right analog stick to look behind you. You'll come to realize that you're actually not in any real danger a lot of the time (i.e. missiles being really far behind you and not heading at a vector that poses any real danger).

Thanks. I'll give your tips a try.

gkryhewy

unomas said:
1,100 people are ranked at the moment so I'm a bit sketch about the sales of the game on day one.

Distribution seems a little iffy. I've read that a bunch of stores don't expect to receive their stock until Friday.

gkryhewy

Dyne said:
Can you get the faceplate without getting the arcade stick pack?

If you'd preordered from EB/Gamestop, you would have received one of four other faceplates (different designs from the stick bundle faceplate). I've updated the OP with an image. Local stores may have received more faceplates than pre-orders, so you may be able to snag one with your copy if you call around.

EDIT: whoops, double post. Sorry.

Enron

Banned
hoos30 said:
Thanks. I'll give your tips a try.

Also: never go at an approaching enemy HEAD ON. This is a good way to die for sure. Although, it is great fun to see how quickly you can get a lock, fire off missles, and avoid their incoming fire :)

Enron said:
Also: never go at an approaching enemy HEAD ON. This is a good way to die for sure. Although, it is great fun to see how quickly you can get a lock, fire off missles, and avoid their incoming fire :)

It's almost a surefire hit on a missile if you can do it though.

I picked it up yesterday and played the first mission and a touch of the tutorial. Like the gameplay alot, hate the cinematics only for the awful narration. It actually feels embarassing to watch them. You could cut 90% of what is said and the point would come across. This alone is going to kill sales of the game.

"I post on...at the place of Neo Gaf which is a forum for dialouge about events and concerns in the world of video gaming. Video gaming, that is a hobby I and others enjoy in this world of Earth. We watch intently as review scores for the latest video games are released and then discuss violently their impact on the various video game consoles they place the video games. When I play video games I like to call the motions with my hands "Two Fighting Spiders". I call it "Two Fighting Spiders" because that is what my hands look like as they are moving the control sticks and pressing the buttons on the game pad that I hold that is hooked up to the video game console that plays the video games."

I saw a guy buying this the other day, I was surprised to say the least (just cause I've never actually witnessed anyone buy a flying game)

Is Toys R Us not even getting the game or something? It's not even listed on their site, and when I went to a B&M store yesterday they didn't have it :/

NeOak

Pics of the stick. Sorry for the blurriness, my N75 was all i had on hand atm.

10252007133.jpg

10252007136.jpg

10252007137.jpg

watership

Eurogamer has their review up. They seem to really liked it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85449

"In fact, despite the unpromising setup, Ace Combat 6 finally delivers what long-suffering fans of the series have been waiting for since Ace Combat 04 - change, innovation, and a welcome refresh of some tired features that have been growing increasingly long in the tooth."

Edit: Note that all their section titles are songs from the Top Gun soundtrack. Cheeky bastards.

gkryhewy

My game and faceplate came early. WOOO!

Single player impressions (haven't tried MP yet):

1. Framerate confirmed 30 FPS. HOWEVER, there's a nice motion blur that wasn't present in the demo, and is most apparent during camera panning.
2. Graphics and sound effects are spectacular.
3. Replays are sweet - you can pan and zoom the camera within any of the available angles.
4. Cutscenes and dialog aren't terribly cheesy at all. If you liked the AC4 story elements, you'll like these. Presentation and music are top notch.
5. It's clear that the DLC planes aren't on the disc - each plane is a 7 MB download.

Very impressed so far - I can tell this will be one to savor.

LJ11

gkrykewy said:
My game and faceplate came early. WOOO!

Single player impressions (haven't tried MP yet):

1. Framerate confirmed 30 FPS. HOWEVER, there's a nice motion blur that wasn't present in the demo, and is most apparent during camera panning.
2. Graphics and sound effects are spectacular.
3. Replays are sweet - you can pan and zoom the camera within any of the available angles.
4. Cutscenes and dialog aren't terribly cheesy at all. If you liked the AC4 story elements, you'll like these. Presentation and music are top notch.
5. It's clear that the DLC planes aren't on the disc - each plane is a 7 MB download.

Very impressed so far - I can tell this will be one to savor.

Do the controls feel a bit tighter than they did in the demo? I recall you and I having this discussion in the past, and we chalked it up to framerate. I'm curious nonetheless.

gkryhewy

LJ11 said:
Do the controls feel a bit tighter than they did in the demo? I recall you and I having this discussion in the past, and we chalked it up to framerate. I'm curious nonetheless.

Somehow, it feels more like the PS2 games than the demo did. Part of it is the motion blur somewhat ameliorating the 30-fps-suck(tm) during camera pans.

voltron

Those sticks are fucking huge! Are they really appropriate for an arcade flying game?(they do look awesome I admit)

I don't understand the pixilization that you see in the distance on missile trails. Don't get how that can even happen.

I think the audio mix is different from the demo. Demo felt fuller / louder.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
watership said:

"In fact, despite the unpromising setup, Ace Combat 6 finally delivers what long-suffering fans of the series have been waiting for since Ace Combat 04 - change, innovation, and a welcome refresh of some tired features that have been growing increasingly long in the tooth."

Edit: Note that all their section titles are songs from the Top Gun soundtrack. Cheeky bastards.

The reviewer should be ashamed of himself.

Eurogamer said:
The simulation mode, on the other hand, is a very competent stab at emulating the flight controls of real aircraft - not exactly easy on an Xbox pad, admittedly, but the game doesn't do a bad job all the same. It's somewhat intimidating, frankly, and while we appreciate the solid job the team has done of making it realistic, we suspect most players will give up and go back to arcade controls after crashing into buildings upside-down a few times.

:rolleyes

Schafer said:
Yea what he refers to as "simulation" is the "Normal" option in the game.

Well, it's better than Air Force Delta Strike (Konami's go at shamelessly ripping off emulating Ace Combat): the manual has three setups, Novice, Pro, and Expert. "Novice" and "Pro" equate to the "Beginner" and "Normal" AC control types, i.e. adding yaw. So what does Konami's hardcore, simulation-level "Expert" control add?

A single button for an air brake.

gkryhewy

Liabe Brave said:
Well, it's better than Air Force Delta Strike (Konami's go at shamelessly ripping off emulating Ace Combat)

The original Air Force Delta for Dreamcast was the shit - helped me bide time until AC4.

kammy

Banned
watership said:

i dont know if i should trust that review. they recommend the 'tard control setup as if its standard.

kammy

Banned
gkrykewy said:
The original Air Force Delta for Dreamcast was the shit - helped me bide time until AC4.

loved the dc version. delta had some original missions though, but didnt feel as polished as ac

EGM92

HDD problem seems to be fixed when not connected to XBL or the console is standing vertical which is weird but the game is pretty nice.

I have a slight problem though, there are just too many targets! Holy crap it's like the Rocket launch mission from AC4 when there was a giant dogfight between the two opposing forces, trying to defend the launch but now it's in every mission with both ground and air units.

gkrykewy said:

Even the PS2 Strike version has its charms (wider selection of rides from prop planes through spaceships, cheesy dialogue and visual-novel melodrama, etc.), but 30fps and badly tiled textures hold up poorly against the polished sheen of Namco's PS2 Ace Combats. It just feels very low-rent in comparison.

I'm in training right now, and I can't figure out what constitutes "low-speed' flying. I have tried all different low speeds, and nothing seems to work.

I feel like an idiot.

MechDX

snack said:
I'm in training right now, and I can't figure out what constitutes "low-speed' flying. I have tried all different low speeds, and nothing seems to work.

I feel like an idiot.

Just hold the brake in and youll stall but should get "mission complete" before you crash.

Top Bottom