• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ace Combat 6 thread of narrative bloat and online joy

Avellon

Is there a complete list of what fighters are in the game? I realize there are less than the last two games, but the jet collections are one of my favorite parts of the game. Is the F-35 in?

gkryhewy

Avellon said:
Is there a complete list of what fighters are in the game? I realize there are less than the last two games, but the jet collections are one of my favorite parts of the game. Is the F-35 in?

Here's the list that's floating around:

F-16C
-Missiles 99
-xMA4 40
-UGB 30
-RCL 20

Mirage 2000-5
-Missles 110
-LASM 15
-XMAA 20
-GPB 20
-SFFS 12

A-10A Thunderbolt II
-Missles 200
-RCL 25
-FAEB 25
-XAGM 56

Tornado GR.4
-Missles 150
-BDSP 25
-LASM 20
-ECMP 20

F/A-18F SuperHornet
-Missles 140
-SAAM 18
-SOD 15
-XAGM 32
-ECMP 20

F-2A
-Missles 110
-LASM 28
-QAAM 20
-XMA4 52
-UGB 40

F-14D Super Tomcat
-Missles 150
-XLAA 40
-SAAM 25
-GPB 30

Su-33 Flanker
-Missles 160
-QAAM 25
-XMA4 56
-RCL 30

F-15E Strike Eagle
-Missles 180
-XMA6 60 (these actually shoot 6 air targets at once.)
-UGB 60
-SFFS 30
-XAGM 64

Rafale M
-Missles 160
-SOD 40
-SAAM 35
-XMA6 54
-LASM 40

F-117A Nighthawk
-Missles 130
-GPB 65
-QAAM 15
-LASM 35

Typhoon
-Missles 230
-XLAA 48
-XAGM 66
-RCL 32

Su-47 Berkut
-Missles 270
-QAAM 40
-SAAM 40
-UGB 70

F-22A Raptor
-Missles 250
-XMA6 72
-QAAM 40
-SOD 55

CFA-44 Nosferatu (This is the last aircraft. You must beat the game in hard mode for it to show up in your hanger. Also it cost $229,500)
-Missles 300
-ADMM 18 These can take out up to 10 targets at one time
-EMl 24
-ECMP 36

Less planes, more weapon load options per plane. I would imagine more could be coming via DLC.

voltron said:
Those sticks are fucking huge! Are they really appropriate for an arcade flying game?(they do look awesome I admit)

Yeah, actually. Speed control is pretty important, especially on air-to-ground, and a throttle makes a lot more sense than two shoulder buttons.

I have to say a couple of things about the stick though...

-Rumble is great, it's not directional FF or anything but hey, I'm fine with that.

-Maybe it's just me, but the Xbox button looks really cheap. :lol

-I'm kinda pissed Namco cheaped out and didn't do button assignment options. Because they did all of the button setup for the 360 controller, that means the entire button setup for the stick has changed _again_, and I am not a fan of the reassignment.

-Throttle start button is now map toggle
-Target assignment is now joystick left-button
-Weapons toggle is now joystick right-button (the one that really bugs me, I guess. Made a hell of a lot more sense on the back of the joystick.)
-Start button is now the back of the joystick button
-Usual large assortment of unused buttons and toggles

The options menu lets you swap map toggle and target assignment. Really? The difference between two control schemes is a two function swap? Bleh.

I'll get used to it eventually. The game is great so far. Some steps backward from five but some interesting new stuff as well. The script in the cutscenes is almost unbelievably bad though. There was one line early on, roughly saying "the castle's treasure was the pride of the castle". In voiced dialogue. -_-

(and as irritating as the DLC cost is, I am using the DLC planes a bit so far...)

Is it just me or did anyone else find Mission 9
the one with the Manta ray like aircraft carriers
really painful?

I just cleared it after multiple tries and with barely enough ammo left and my plane all red. It's like the difficulty just spiked at this mission.

EGM92

gettergooey said:
Is it just me or did anyone else find Mission 9
the one with the Manta ray like aircraft carriers
really painful?

I just cleared it after multiple tries and with barely enough ammo left and my plane all red. It's like the difficulty just spiked at this mission.

I keep getting shot down by the large carrier, it's a fucking pain, what plane were you using? I just unlocked the S33 which I'm using for that mission.

EGM92 said:
I keep getting shot down by the large carrier, it's a fucking pain, what plane were you using? I just unlocked the S33 which I'm using for that mission.

This seems to work for me:
I afterburner'd from behind the carrier and as soon as I lock on to the engines, I let 2 missiles loose and *immediately* climb 90 degrees straight up. The real painful part were the buttload of missiles that the carrier shoots at you as soon as you get into lockable distance. After about 10 secs, I nose dived straight down again and I'll be on the back of the carrier.

I used one of the DLC plane (the one with the red/blue stripes from AC2) It's a great plane with fast turning which is helpful against the carrier for the above reasons. I tried the S33 too but didn't have much luck.

D3MO

Banned
DLC already? WTF? didn't the game come out like a week ago?

FUCK man...this is such BS...all those DLC's could have been in the game...WHAT THE FUCK...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Whats the deal? No room on DVD? The need to nickle and dime the fucking fanbase?

EGM92

D3MO said:
DLC already? WTF? didn't the game come out like a week ago?

FUCK man...this is such BS...all those DLC's could have been in the game...WHAT THE FUCK...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Whats the deal? No room on DVD? The need to nickle and dime the fucking fanbase?

A week ago? It officially came out on OCT 23rd. The DLC was up on the 24th.

EGM92

D3MO said:
Fucking bullshit.

I'm sick of this. What the fuck is their excuse?

Stupid people are willing to pay for planes that should have been included in the game at no cost, it reinforces their (Namco's) investment in the game giving them extra capital on top of the nice chunk they get out of your 59.99$.

EGM92

gettergooey said:
This seems to work for me:
I afterburner'd from behind the carrier and as soon as I lock on to the engines, I let 2 missiles loose and *immediately* climb 90 degrees straight up. The real painful part were the buttload of missiles that the carrier shoots at you as soon as you get into lockable distance. After about 10 secs, I nose dived straight down again and I'll be on the back of the carrier.

I used one of the DLC plane (the one with the red/blue stripes from AC2) It's a great plane with fast turning which is helpful against the carrier for the above reasons. I tried the S33 too but didn't have much luck.

Was the plane you used the Free DLC plane? I downloaded a plane but I don't know how to make it show up on my list. I tried rebooting the console etc no luck. I don't download much DLC is there something I'm missing?

AND THOSE FUCKING PLANES KEEP SHOOTING ME DOWN. They dodge nearly every missile I launch and the only real way to kill them is pure luck if you have the guns going off and they so happen to fly into your machine guns firing path.

gkryhewy

EGM92 said:
Was the plane you used the Free DLC plane? I downloaded a plane but I don't know how to make it show up on my list. I tried rebooting the console etc no luck. I don't download much DLC is there something I'm missing?

It doesn't show up under HANGAR. When you start a mission and it's time to select your plane, you should be able to hit the d-pad or a-stick right to select the alternate color scheme. There are spaces for 3-4 color schemes (and corresponding stat sets) per plane, some of which will be unlockable and some of which DLC, no doubt.

By the way, I can't complain about how the DLC shouldhavebeenonthediscOMGWTFBBQ! These are odd or fanservice color schemes (i.e. Ace Combat 2 color schemes), which I don't think anyone would reasonably expect to be available in the game at all - they weren't available in previous games.

EGM92 said:

AND THOSE FUCKING PLANES KEEP SHOOTING ME DOWN. They dodge nearly every missile I launch and the only real way to kill them is pure luck if you have the guns going off and they so happen to fly into your machine guns firing path.

It's the F15E Active Stripes - hey it's only 200 points and I just like to collect them all anyway. :)

And yeah, those Strigon planes take forever to kill. My strategy for them:

1. First and foremost, destroy all the radar jammers.

2. The key strategy for me is to keep switching targets. Don't concentrate on a single Strigon for long, their plane is just so much better than yours and you'll just keep doing endless loops and rolls. If you keep chasing one, you're just setting yourself up as a target for the other Strigons to chase and shoot you. I keep switching target, lock on, fire missiles, don't wait to see if I hit it and and switch to another plane asap. I must have pressed Y every 3 seconds or so when fighting them.

3. Fly close and slowly behind the giant carrier when you hear about them taking off. Their speed is still slower then and it's a good time to shoot missiles at them. You can probably hit (not kill) a few of them this way.

4. When you do chase a Strigon, very soon others will be on your tail - quickly do a Hard G turn, switch targeting asap and let fly the missiles. It's a lot easier when the planes are going straight to your direction instead of the crazy loops. Oh, and as soon as you fired your missiles, do a climb or whatever to evade because chances are, they also just fired their missiles at you.

5. If you're lucky, you can get them flying in a swarm in the earlier part, and I let fly all the six long-range multiple missiles and keep switching between them and regular 2 shots missiles and pray they hit.

6. Strength in numbers. Sometimes your teammates get pre-occupied with the carriers and you end up in spots where it's only you and Garuda 2. I'd usually lure a bunch of Strigons back to where the majority of my teammates were.

Now that I think about it, I think the S33 might work just as well. Although I find that the S33 stalls faster when doing a Hard G turn. I guess I lost my patience and decided to switch to the F15E before finding out.

EGM92

gettergooey said:
It's the F15E Active Stripes - hey it's only 200 points and I just like to collect them all anyway. :)

And yeah, those Strigon planes take forever to kill. My strategy for them:

1. First and foremost, destroy all the radar jammers.

2. The key strategy for me is to keep switching targets. Don't concentrate on a single Strigon for long, their plane is just so much better than yours and you'll just keep doing endless loops and rolls. If you keep chasing one, you're just setting yourself up as a target for the other Strigons to chase and shoot you. I keep switching target, lock on, fire missiles, don't wait to see if I hit it and and switch to another plane asap. I must have pressed Y every 3 seconds or so when fighting them.

3. Fly close and slowly behind the giant carrier when you hear about them taking off. Their speed is still slower then and it's a good time to shoot missiles at them. You can probably hit (not kill) a few of them this way.

4. When you do chase a Strigon, very soon others will be on your tail - quickly do a Hard G turn, switch targeting asap and let fly the missiles. It's a lot easier when the planes are going straight to your direction instead of the crazy loops. Oh, and as soon as you fired your missiles, do a climb or whatever to evade because chances are, they also just fired their missiles at you.

5. If you're lucky, you can get them flying in a swarm in the earlier part, and I let fly all the six long-range multiple missiles and keep switching between them and regular 2 shots missiles and pray they hit.

6. Strength in numbers. Sometimes your teammates get pre-occupied with the carriers and you end up in spots where it's only you and Garuda 2. I'd usually lure a bunch of Strigons back to where the majority of my teammates were.

Now that I think about it, I think the S33 might work just as well. Although I find that the S33 stalls faster when doing a Hard G turn. I guess I lost my patience and decided to switch to the F15E before finding out.

Thanks for the tips I'll try them out. It's getting very frustrating.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
voltron said:
Those sticks are fucking huge! Are they really appropriate for an arcade flying game?(they do look awesome I admit)
The box was actually smaller than I expected, tbh. :lol
Actually, I just thought of this. Wouldn't the flightstick be good for Rez XBLA? I mean, the trigger is mapped to the A button, so use that to lock-on/shoot and the B button for the overdrive bombs. It would be so awesome if it works. :D

gkryhewy

What does everyone think of the online? I've only tried the team battles, but I'm fairly blown away, to be honest. So many missile trails, and some really nice combat zones (are they maps? I guess). Getting the hang of the high-g turn (hold both triggers) is a must when avoiding missiles from non-AI pilots.

Can't wait to try coop, but I hate using the headset. I will be playing the shit out of this over the weekend.

goldenpp72

hey guys my cell phone costed like 80 bucks and when I turned it on I realized the ringtones on it costed extra.. BULLSHIT IT SHOULD COME ON THE FUCKIN PHONE (true story)

For content like extra skins on a plane or something I don't see the issue with the nickle and dime method, for stuff like full levels (I think katamari does this :( ) it's a lot worse.

Flo_Evans

Is there a counter-strike like online deathmatch mode? Where when you die you are out till the next round?

I think it would be interesting to set up a GAF match where some people are jamming some are long range and short instead of everyone just flying around spamming QAAM missiles :lol

careksims

So far I love the graphics but the story... Gah I wish it was the AC 5 story with AC 6 graphics. I feel like I never get to feel for my wingman, but i love the huge battles.

careksims said:
So far I love the graphics but the story... Gah I wish it was the AC 5 story with AC 6 graphics. I feel like I never get to feel for my wingman, but i love the huge battles.

Agreed. So far the idea of progressing the storyline through the 3 NPCs hasn't really done it for me. Plus there's zero attachment to your wingman. I'd even take annoying ass PJ back.

Tzeentch

GODDAMN MISSION 9. My screen was pretty much bright red the entire mission, it seems every single Strigon guns straight for you on that one.

Most painful mission so far.

SarBear

"If he was serious enough, and I was a woman, I'd probably fall for him myself."

Good God, Namco, what the hell?:lol

Pakman

Tzeentch said:
GODDAMN MISSION 9. My screen was pretty much bright red the entire mission, it seems every single Strigon guns straight for you on that one.

Most painful mission so far.

Just use your allied attack/cover on those strigons. I don't know how so many of you guys are struggling with the Strigons (just beat it on hard). I barely even noticed they were there. I use the flightstick but I doubt that's it. All my deaths from that mission was because I was an impatient SOB. I kept colliding with the larger aircraft
since the 2 that aren't equiped with the EGM do a pretty good job banking away from you when you try to gun for their cockpits. I would get impatient after looping around a few times, so I would just gun and yaw in the direction of the cockpits and I'd often wait a little too long to pull out of my attack.

Also I'm a bit bummed out at the lack of people on live. I got on this morning and I was only able to find 2 rooms in team battle (nothing else).

EGM92 said:
A week ago? It officially came out on OCT 23rd. The DLC was up on the 24th.

The DLC was up at least on the 23rd, if not before. I was able to access it before the game came out.

Wario64 said:
Just rented this today.

Buy the game punk!
If you like it

SarBear said:
"If he was serious enough, and I was a woman, I'd probably fall for him myself."

Good God, Namco, what the hell?:lol

I just said, "Wow" when I heard that line. There was nothing else to say.

EGM92

Pakman said:
The DLC was up at least on the 23rd, if not before. I was able to access it before the game came out.

Was just going by my experience, I bought the game on the 23rd but the DLC wasn't up for me, started to show up on the 24th. It being out on the 23rd just makes the situation worse :p

gkrykewy said:
Less planes, more weapon load options per plane.

Not just more options but more weapons period. Looks like they more than doubled the missile loadouts! I assume that's because they can cram a lot more targets in there now, but it makes the weapon loads look even more ridiculously arcadey.

zeroshiki

I just saw the Ace Combat commercial and the cutscenes were in English. In Japan. I don't think they're even trying anymore.

EGM92

Just beat mission 9 man what a bitch that was. I found that if I went normal speed under the main ship right below the wings and I destroy all the AA turrets the Strigons will actually speed up ahead of me and just stay there ready for my fire, I killed like 6 of them like that.

zeroshiki said:
I just saw the Ace Combat commercial and the cutscenes were in English. In Japan. I don't think they're even trying anymore.

All the cutscenes in AC Zero were in English too. Or did you mean something else. . . ?

deadbeef

Screw Mission 4, for real. I keep having to restart at the last checkpoint, and they send two fighters after me at this horrible freaking angle and I can never get turned around on them. It's not even part of the stinking Mission (not a TGT). ARgghhh1!!!!!

Pakman

EGM92 said:
Just beat mission 9 man what a bitch that was. I found that if I went normal speed under the main ship right below the wings and I destroy all the AA turrets the Strigons will actually speed up ahead of me and just stay there ready for my fire, I killed like 6 of them like that.

Wait till you fight
strigon leader (can't remember his name)
. Frustrated me the most of all the missions. Took me at least 5 tries since I kept running out of time (there was about 20 mins for me to take him down I think). But when I took him down it was during the first 5 minutes of the engagement. I still don't know how/why I was able to kill him so fast that time. I'm dreading the fight with him that will come up when I play on expert.

zeroshiki

Liabe Brave said:
All the cutscenes in AC Zero were in English too. Or did you mean something else. . . ?

I'm not a particularly big AC fan so I apologize for not knowing that. However, the game is probably not gonna sell a whole lot in Japan because of the 360, so the least they could have done was to localize the damn thing.

Just beat the game on Normal Mode. And yeah like Jonsoncao said, the final mission was
AC4 deja vu galore.

Final game time was around 5:20 hours, which was pretty disappointing. I expected it to be a lot longer.

Still a good game but overall, I like AC4 a lot better, and I think many people here will agree. I'd still score it a nice 7.5/10.

gkryhewy

watership said:

I remember J. Davidson seemed really bored about it on the podcast: 'yeah, it's just another Ace Combat. Ace Combat nuts will love it, but no one else will care, and I don't' (paraphrase).

rod furlong said:
different reviewers, different times. How about a hard one next.

Not so much different times. BA2 was just reviewed on 10/2. EGM is nothing if not consistent though - 7.0 avg. in the magazine, 6.5 on 1up. These are the two lowest scores on gamerankings.

Pakman said:
Also I'm a bit bummed out at the lack of people on live. I got on this morning and I was only able to find 2 rooms in team battle (nothing else).

I imagine this will improve considerably after the Japanese and Euro launches. Early on a Saturday morning, there's not going to be much action when the game is only available in NA. Last night there were tons of games.

EDIT: "A lot of good agents lost their lives getting us this intel" :lol :lol :lol Must have been bothans.

Top Bottom