• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Mar

Shit. I forgot all about this. I was going to pick up a points card this morning on my way to work. Guess I'll try and find a shop open tonight.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
So I hadn't played burnout in a few months. I played a bit last night with Maggot and noticed that my online Timed Challenges all reset to zero. WTF! I had about 75% of them completed. Weird thing is - my Freeburn Challenges are showing up properly completed. Anyone experience this? Am I just screwed? PS3 BD version fwiw.

Love the details on the new skins. Inferno Van's load bangs when shifting gears are the little touches of details that makes Criterion awesomes.

Puck

Banned
While cops and robbers looks cool, and i'm sure it is fun to play for a limited time, its overly expensive for me.
15 fucking dollars for DLC that adds some cars and an online multiplayer mode that i will only play for an hour or two at most?

Jesus christ, i paid $4.95 for pixel junk eden encore and that has given me a lot of playtime, this is just a pretty, overly expensive throwaway mode.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, I mean I love Burnout but $15 for a online mode that requires other people to be playing it for me to get any value from it? That's way too much. I could by Outrun Online for that much and have a fully featured single and multiplayer game.

Edit: It's $15 in Australia.

rc213

It is $9.99

Should have added the Cops N Robbers mode for free but charged like $5.99 for the Cop cars. I'm going to wait for the Island before purchasing anything else, I get enough fun out of what the game has already.

rc213 said:
It is $9.99

Should have added the Cops N Robbers mode for free but charged like $5.99 for the Cop cars. I'm going to wait for the Island before purchasing anything else, I get enough fun out of what the game has already.

Wait, so without the cars what is the point? So technically it would be $15?

rc213

LovingSteam said:
Ok, I love Burnout and have purchased all of the DLC up to this point but $15 for this? No thanks.

It's only $9.99 for both the Cops N Robbers mode plus the Cop Cars.

Willeth said:
Oh, really? What are they? I imagine they're trying to save the gamerscore quota for the island, maybe?

How many achievements are there after all patches? New achievements limits have gone up. They can add more later if they want to. New limit is max 80 achievements and score of 1750.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1178-The-Current-Achievement-Rules-Explained.html | http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-changes-gamerscore-limit-to-1750

The specific rules are that a boxed game must offer between five and 50 Achievements for a total of 1000 gamerscore, while up to 30 Achievements can be offered via downloadable content for a maximum of 750 gamerscore.

Gazunta

So at the risk of sounding stupid, how am I meant to access cops and robbers mode? I am driving a cop car around...quick match? freeburn...? huh?

crispyben

Gazunta said:
So at the risk of sounding stupid, how am I meant to access cops and robbers mode? I am driving a cop car around...quick match? freeburn...? huh?
No need to drive one, host a Freeburn room, create Freeburn event (C&R) adjust settings, star event.

Gazunta

Tried hosting a freeburn room, but it didn't give me an option to start cops and robbers. Just race.

Then I joined someone else's game but they weren't playing cops and robbers. Then I got disconnected from LIVE so hard my modem reset itself.

Then I reset my machine and restarted the game and joined a race sessions that was supposed to be starting cops and robbers and the 360 crashed so hard I had to unplug the machine from the power supply just to be able to get it back.

And now I'm looking at the NXE thinking I'd rather be playing Banjo instead. Awesome new game mode, well worth the 800 points!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gazunta said:
Tried hosting a freeburn room, but it didn't give me an option to start cops and robbers. Just race.

Then I joined someone else's game but they weren't playing cops and robbers. Then I got disconnected from LIVE so hard my modem reset itself.

Then I reset my machine and restarted the game and joined a race sessions that was supposed to be starting cops and robbers and the 360 crashed so hard I had to unplug the machine from the power supply just to be able to get it back.

And now I'm looking at the NXE thinking I'd rather be playing Banjo instead. Awesome new game mode, well worth the 800 points!

I think you need at least another guy around to be able to choose the C&R option (or anything besides Race).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So the new mode is fun and I like the amount of skins and limited customization to some of the cars but a little pricey. And the trophies are so easy to get. Took around 28 minutes to get all 8 trophies. And that was while messing around and accidentally having to restart some of the rounds since a couple of trophies require a 5 round match. Anyone else notice that some of the scenery changed or is just me? I swear some things are more vibrant and there are flags and that tower that has the moving billboard on it by the entrance of the tunnel? And that's just the inner city area exploring. I haven't even headed out to the country since the gold was conveniently located in town for my trophy runs.

TTP said:
I think you need at least another guy around to be able to choose the C&R option (or anything besides Race).
Yes indeed.

crispyben

LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone else notice that some of the scenery changed or is just me? I swear some things are more vibrant and there are flags and that tower that has the moving billboard on it by the entrance of the tunnel? And that's just the inner city area exploring. I haven't even headed out to the country since the gold was conveniently located in town for my trophy runs.
I was wondering the same scene, it seems they've somehow upgraded Paradise City, with more details... Is that even possible? Are they still optimizing the engine?

BTW, those who purchased C&R get new profile pictures for the CGN... There are now only two unlocked (for me anyway).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nli10 said:
OK - I'm being an idiot n00b here...

How do I use custom soundtracks on the 360 version?
If it's like the PS3 then you hit right on the d-pad on scroll down to soundtrack.

crispyben said:
I was wondering the same scene, it seems they've somehow upgraded Paradise City, with more details... Is that even possible? Are they still optimizing the engine?

BTW, those who purchased C&R get new profile pictures for the CGN... There are now only two unlocked (for me anyway).
Upgraded of just made some things pop. Or you could be right as I swear the game looks even cleaner. Almost looks like a 1080p game, it looks that sharp. Was that big guitar thing near the tunnel there too? I think they may have put more color on things since I'm looking all around and many things are catching my eye.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
very fun mode, how does the team balancing work? One time I ended up 1 on 8 versus cops. Still was a good time though.

crispyben

levious said:
very fun mode, how does the team balancing work? One time I ended up 1 on 8 versus cops. Still was a good time though.
It works two ways: the host can shuffle the teams as he sees fit while he prepares the game, and each participant can change teams before the game starts. But there's no guarantee for balance, and 7 cops in Takedown 4x4 againt a Hawker is a bit harsh :lol

MirageDwarf said:
How many achievements are there after all patches? New achievements limits have gone up. They can add more later if they want to. New limit is max 80 achievements and score of 1750.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1178-The-Current-Achievement-Rules-Explained.html | http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-changes-gamerscore-limit-to-1750
It's the new limit, but no idea whether Criterion can retroactively add this back in. That might be the problem.

Pizza Luigi said:
Is it safe to delete the Cagney and Bike updates as well for me?
Yes. Delete it all. All you need is your save game, any DLC pack you downloaded, and 1.8.

nli10 said:
OK - I'm being an idiot n00b here...

How do I use custom soundtracks on the 360 version?
Just like any other 360 custom soundtrack, you set it up on the dashboard on the 360.

crispyben said:
It works two ways: the host can shuffle the teams as he sees fit while he prepares the game, and each participant can change teams before the game starts. But there's no guarantee for balance, and 7 cops in Takedown 4x4 againt a Hawker is a bit harsh :lol
All the games I've joined had cars set by the host, which made it much more interesting. Inferno Van 3 on 3 was like a great case of bumper cars, until I started using hidden routes in the city to distract people.

Returners

My first C&R game was with the Oval Racer. Gosh that car sucks at handling.

This mode will be played again and again, good one criterion.

crispyben

How come there's no thread for this game in the Online forum? There used to be one... I'm looking to add any GAFers who want to play this on PS3.

BeeDog

crispyben said:
How come there's no thread for this game in the Online forum? There used to be one... I'm looking to add any GAFers who want to play this on PS3.

I bought C&R earlier today, and I'll be up for Burnout games any time I'm on the PS3. Add me (same PSN nick as my GAF name).

Alidar

Neo Member
Oh man the Cops and Robbers mode is a riot. Was engaged in some really close matches last night, with great mugshots and all. Definitely the best of the paid DLC content, and the most sanely-priced as well. I may be on off and on this weekend as I juggle games, but feel free to add me on PSN (same as GAF name) if you want.

Agent X

Beatbox said:
So I hadn't played burnout in a few months. I played a bit last night with Maggot and noticed that my online Timed Challenges all reset to zero. WTF! I had about 75% of them completed. Weird thing is - my Freeburn Challenges are showing up properly completed. Anyone experience this? Am I just screwed? PS3 BD version fwiw.

I haven't experienced this problem. I just got a replacement PS3 from repair a few days ago, and transferred my old save file from March 1 over to this system. Virtually all my accomplishments survived the transition, including progress on both freeburn and timed challenges. (I also lost one Road Rule on Nelson Way, which I believe I got after March 1.)

Where does it look like you lost your timed challenges? I've only checked the status of timed challenges on the pause screen, not on Easy Drive, and I haven't played online with anyone yet.

I did notice my online rivals and races won got reset to zero at some point a few months ago (I think around the time of the 1.7 update, still while using my first PS3), but that's about the only major issue I've had that still hasn't resolved itself. I remember some Road Rules reverted to older scores a few months before that, but my guess is that was a server side problem, as a few weeks later it eventually updated back to the newer scores.

Agent X

Some new PS3 trophies were recently added:

Drive through 20 Island Smash Gate (Bronze)
Awarded when you drive through your 20th set of Orange Island Smash Gates

Smash 15 Island Billboards (Silver)
Awarded when you smash through your 15th pristine Island Billboard

Land 5 Island Mega Jumps (Bronze)
Awarded when you successfully land your 5th Island Mega Jump

Jump through Deese's Donut (Bronze)
Successfully land the Island Mega Jump throught Deese's Donut

4.5 seconds of Crash TV Air Time (Bronze)
Successfully land the Island Mega Jump from the Crash TV Ski Jump and get at least 4.5 seconds of Air Time

Complete a 750 yard drift inside the Inspiral Car Park (Bronze)
Awarded when you complete a continuous 750 yard drift inside the Inspiral Car Park

Complete your first Island Tour (Bronze)
Awarded when you successfully complete your first Island Tour

Find all Island Events (Bronze)
Awarded when you find all 15 events on Big Surf Island

Complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges (Silver)
Awarded when you successfully complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges. These can be completed by 2 - 8 players

Smash all 45 Island Billboards (Silver)
Awarded when you've smashed through all 45 Island Billboards

Judging from the trophy descriptions, it looks like they're going to pack plenty of gameplay into the Island pack.

BeeDog

Agent X said:
Some new PS3 trophies were recently added:

Drive through 20 Island Smash Gate (Bronze)
Awarded when you drive through your 20th set of Orange Island Smash Gates

Smash 15 Island Billboards (Silver)
Awarded when you smash through your 15th pristine Island Billboard

Land 5 Island Mega Jumps (Bronze)
Awarded when you successfully land your 5th Island Mega Jump

Jump through Deese's Donut (Bronze)
Successfully land the Island Mega Jump throught Deese's Donut

4.5 seconds of Crash TV Air Time (Bronze)
Successfully land the Island Mega Jump from the Crash TV Ski Jump and get at least 4.5 seconds of Air Time

Complete a 750 yard drift inside the Inspiral Car Park (Bronze)
Awarded when you complete a continuous 750 yard drift inside the Inspiral Car Park

Complete your first Island Tour (Bronze)
Awarded when you successfully complete your first Island Tour

Find all Island Events (Bronze)
Awarded when you find all 15 events on Big Surf Island

Complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges (Silver)
Awarded when you successfully complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges. These can be completed by 2 - 8 players

Smash all 45 Island Billboards (Silver)
Awarded when you've smashed through all 45 Island Billboards

Judging from the trophy descriptions, it looks like they're going to pack plenty of gameplay into the Island pack.

Awesome!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Agent X said:
I haven't experienced this problem. I just got a replacement PS3 from repair a few days ago, and transferred my old save file from March 1 over to this system. Virtually all my accomplishments survived the transition, including progress on both freeburn and timed challenges. (I also lost one Road Rule on Nelson Way, which I believe I got after March 1.)

Where does it look like you lost your timed challenges? I've only checked the status of timed challenges on the pause screen, not on Easy Drive, and I haven't played online with anyone yet.

I did notice my online rivals and races won got reset to zero at some point a few months ago (I think around the time of the 1.7 update, still while using my first PS3), but that's about the only major issue I've had that still hasn't resolved itself. I remember some Road Rules reverted to older scores a few months before that, but my guess is that was a server side problem, as a few weeks later it eventually updated back to the newer scores.

I first noticed that my total challenges were increasing when I was playing with Maggot a few weeks ago - challenges I was CERTAIN I had completed (as in all the 2 Player Timed Challenges). I checked my stats on the pause screen and I had my 75% or so of the Freeburn Challanges showing up as being completed - but the only Timed Challenges I had credit for were the ones me and Maggot just did.

Now that you mention the dead PS3 thing - maybe swapping saves had something to do with it. I initially beat the game 101% and then started a new game when the trophy patch came out. I believe that most of my Timed/Freeburn challenges were completed pre-trophy patch. So I got all the tropies, deleted that save and reloaded my original 101% save. Was the Burnout Save broken down into parts - as in one for the offline game, one for Timed Challenged and one for Freeburn Challenges (and perhaps I didn't back up or load one) or was it all together in one save file? Also somewhere inbetween that stuff I did have my PS3 die and get replaced.

Anyways, I just thought it was weird that I have my Freeburn Challenges but not my Timed Challenges.

a Master Ninja said:
The restart patch got me back into this game. Just got my Burnout license. Good times.

me too, barely touched it before. I just got my A license....pretty much been blazing through this since last weekend. Good times indeed.

crispyben

BeeDog said:
How come I wasn't told about this??? :p No Gold trophy, too... Trophies for C&R appeared 4 weeks before release, could we be looking at a mid-June trop to the Island? :D

Looks like there will be a PCPD station on Big Surf Island, look at the filename in the Takedown 4x4 pic for today's post...

1241776984-14x4-on-island.png

dkeane

Any hints as to when the Island will be released? I've been wanting it since last July when they said it would be out in the fall. Just launch it!

dkeane said:
Any hints as to when the Island will be released? I've been wanting it since last July when they said it would be out in the fall. Just launch it!

I'm very excited for this as well! The last I heard was "summertime" so hopefully it's not too far off.

Top Bottom