• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

big_z

im excited for the island. i just 100% the game and i still play it online when listening to podcasts. the island looks nice but it's a lot smaller than i was expecting. imo the dlc shouldnt be more than $10 but im sure it will be $20 based on the fact that the other dlc is greatly overpriced.

speaking of online for those with the 360 version how many games do you typically see online? everytime i play i only see maybe 14 games with at most 50 people split across them.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I just got this game and started playing today,I have NO idea how this online works. I must be stupid, but how do you do "Challenges" online when you are in Freeburner mode? I mean, I was driving around and had no fking clue what the online thing was all about.

Someone care to explain it to my dumbass? I think I'll just stick with playing offline... :(

Agent X

crispyben said:
How dare they give this info while I'm away? And they release BSI two days before I get married... Woo :D

It's Criterion's early wedding gift to you!

Adam Prime said:
So I just got this game and started playing today,I have NO idea how this online works. I must be stupid, but how do you do "Challenges" online when you are in Freeburner mode? I mean, I was driving around and had no fking clue what the online thing was all about.

Someone care to explain it to my dumbass? I think I'll just stick with playing offline... :(

Only the host of the session has the ability to initiate a challenge. If you're hosting, then you can do this from the Easy Drive menu. If you're not hosting, then you can ask the host if he would like to start a challenge.

If I recall correctly, when you're joining an existing online game session, it will tell you the last game type that was being played. You can see if people are doing races, stunt runs, challenges, and so on. If the people in that session were just doing challenges, then there's a good chance that they'll continue to do more challenges when you join their game.

Mar

crispyben said:
How dare they give this info while I'm away? And they release BSI two days before I get married... Woo :D

Congrats dude! In similar news, it's a few days before my 10 year wedding anniversary. That's on the 16th.

In regards to the island. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't played the game in months (since I fired up the party pack to get the crappy achievements), even though I did try and play it the other week but canceled due to the cops and robbers pack being far too big (I'm close to getting my internet capped this month so I'm going easy on the downloads).

Once this month ticks over I'm going to go hardcore on burnout again. I want to clear all the achievements in cops and robbers before the island hits, and then when it does I'm going to complete everything I can as fast as I can. From previous experience I know that it gets harder to finish all the online content the longer you wait. As people become less adventurous and just stick to what they enjoy.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
Congrats dude! In similar news, it's a few days before my 10 year wedding anniversary. That's on the 16th.
Nice! Now that's two reasons to take the 12th off...

Mar_ said:
Once this month ticks over I'm going to go hardcore on burnout again. I want to clear all the achievements in cops and robbers before the island hits, and then when it does I'm going to complete everything I can as fast as I can. From previous experience I know that it gets harder to finish all the online content the longer you wait. As people become less adventurous and just stick to what they enjoy.
C&R trophies can be had in under an hour if you're lucky, so I guess achievements will take even less time... I know I'll be trying to "complete" the Island as fast as possible too :D

Ashour

traynuvthawt said:
fourteen us dollars and ninety-nine us cents is the right price for this island.

Yes please, especially since you can get the full game for $20.

Mar_ said:
it's a few days before my 10 year wedding anniversary. That's on the 16th.

Nice congrats, I wish you many more good years.

crispyben said:
I know I'll be trying to "complete" the Island as fast as possible too :D

Since I really miss playing offline I'm gona take my sweet time finishing the island, any game released in that time frame will be put on hold until I'm done.

Adam Prime said:

Don't give up on it. I'm sure there's plenty of us here on either system that won't mind jumping in on challenges.

This is one of those games that you should try to find a good group to run through the early parts of the game.

big_z said:
im excited for the island. i just 100% the game and i still play it online when listening to podcasts. the island looks nice but it's a lot smaller than i was expecting. imo the dlc shouldnt be more than $10 but im sure it will be $20 based on the fact that the other dlc is greatly overpriced.

speaking of online for those with the 360 version how many games do you typically see online? everytime i play i only see maybe 14 games with at most 50 people split across them.
Really? During the first week of Cops and Robbers, I'm usually seeing 50+ games, with more than half having 6+ players. I was checking between the hours of 8-10 EST.

crispyben

BSI thread there, and new Carson Dust Storm (aka Dirt King) pics here:

Island_DirtKing_01.png
Island_DirtKing_02.png

Island_DirtKing_03.png
Island_DirtKing_04.png

Island_DirtKing_05.png
Island_DirtKing_06.png

Island_DirtKing_07.png

Ramenman

Ashour said:
Yes please, especially since you can get the full game for $20.

I understand this line of thinking, but if Criterion releases all this :

crispyben said:
15 new offline events,10 new online Freeburn challenges

9 new cars including the Carson Dust Storm, the Carson Annihilator Extreme (name TBC) and the Hunter Olympus Camo (name TBC, previously online-only)

15 Mega Jumps, 45 Billboards, 100 Smashes

A stunt-dedicated area roughly the size of Downtown Paradise, featuring a sewer system, a construction site, a lighthouse, loads of shortcuts... If you can see it, you can drive it.

For only 15 bucks I'll burn a part of myself. I mean the useless party pack and the anecdotical cops and robbers pack were $10 each.

Then again they could pull an awesome stunt with some kind of masterplan such as overpricing "bonus" DLC (ie cars, party pack, cops and robbers; those are stuff that aren't mandatory) in order to sell the real upgrade that is the Island at a discounted price.

Anyway I'd totally pay $20 for the Island pack considering that it's not only an Island.

FerranMG

Quick question: is it worth to get the Ultimate box?

I never played Paradise itself. So, is it worth getting the Ultimate box for an extra 10-15 €?

Willeth

FerranMG said:

I never played Paradise itself. So, is it worth getting the Ultimate box for an extra 10-15 €?
The only difference with the Ultimate Box and the vanilla one is the Party Pack, because all the other stuff on the Ultimate Box disc is a free download. If you want the Party Pack and the price difference is smaller than what it costs on XBLM/PSN, then yes. If not, no.

crispyben

Here's a rundown of the new gameplay info garnered from CrashTV 33:

> Big Surf Island is selected from the main menu (alongside Enter Paradise City, Start a Party and Burnout Store), which has new colors (orange and blue) like the title screen

> The Vehicle Select screen has an added line at the bottom, Big Surf Island Cars (no bikes, sorry)

> The Carson Dust Storm has a Stunt Boost type, where Speed = 3, Strength = 4 and Boost = 4. It's available right from the start, in any Junkyard.

> You drive to Big Surf Island via the Paradise Keys Bridge, with the left-hand side being the racing route, and the right-hand side being the stunt route.

> New street names: Jacobs St., Lipscomb Way, Daniell Way, Shires Drive, Griffin Boulevard, Huntley Boulevard, McDonald Road, Maguire Road, Glover Way, Pitt Avenue...

> Areas on Big Surf Island: Midtown, North Beach, South Coast, Perren's Point

> 75 Smashes, 45 Billboards, 15 Mega Jumps

> Island License for the offline progression with 15 events: 3 Island Tours? (marked with a white palm tree, like the white star of the Burning Routes), 3 Stunt Runs, 4 Races, 2 Marked Mans and 3 Road Rages

> Discoverables : 1 Junkyard, 1 Repair Shop, 1 Paint Shop and 2 Gas Stations

> Construction site is awesome, with the bowl and the sewers emerging in the middle

CrashTV 34 will have more info on the new vehicles, the license, etc.

KillJade

Banned
crispyben said:
Here's a rundown of the new gameplay info garnered from CrashTV 33:

> Big Surf Island is selected from the main menu (alongside Enter Paradise City, Start a Party and Burnout Store), which has new colors (orange and blue) like the title screen

> The Vehicle Select screen has an added line at the bottom, Big Surf Island Cars (no bikes, sorry)

> The Carson Dust Storm has a Stunt Boost type, where Speed = 3, Strength = 4 and Boost = 4. It's available right from the start, in any Junkyard.

> You drive to Big Surf Island via the Paradise Keys Bridge, with the left-hand side being the racing route, and the right-hand side being the stunt route.

> New street names: Jacobs St., Lipscomb Way, Daniell Way, Shires Drive, Griffin Boulevard, Huntley Boulevard, McDonald Road, Maguire Road, Glover Way, Pitt Avenue...

> Areas on Big Surf Island: Midtown, North Beach, South Coast, Perren's Point

> 75 Smashes, 45 Billboards, 15 Mega Jumps

> Island License for the offline progression with 15 events: 2 Burning Routes (one being the Island Tour at Lispcomb & Shire), 3 Stunt Runs, 4 Races, 3 Marked Mans and 3 Road Rages

> Construction site is awesome, with the bowl and the sewers emerging in the middle

CrashTV 34 will have more info on the new vehicles, the license, etc.

I'm confused. So you can't just drive from the existing Burnout map onto the new one? :(

crispyben

KillJade said:
I'm confused. So you can't just drive from the existing Burnout map onto the new one? :(
Yes you can, look at the 4th item in the list... I guess that's how they'll make a difference between those who have it and those who don't.

KillJade

Banned
Hmm, still a bit befuddled on this one, forgive me. lol

So there's an option at the Start menu, where you choose whether you want to go into Paradise or Big Surf Island.

If you choose Paradise, will you still be able to go to BSI without going back to the Start menu? If so, what's the point of having the option in the menu at all?

crispyben

KillJade said:
Hmm, still a bit befuddled on this one, forgive me. lol

So there's an option at the Start menu, where you choose whether you want to go into Paradise or Big Surf Island.

If you choose Paradise, will you still be able to go to BSI without going back to the Start menu? If so, what's the point of having the option in the menu at all?
I agree it's not quite clear! Here's my guess: if you choose "Enter Paradise City", the bridge remains closed, as it will for those who don't buy the Island. If you choose "Big Surf Island", you can go into and out of BSI from Paradise City. But this choice will decide who you can play online with... Again, my theory based on what we've seen so far.

edgefusion

There have been videos of them driving from the main island to the new island though right? So it's probably just a way of breaking up the online community. I'm really surprised though, this is one thing Criterion said they didn't want to. It's kind of disappointing, here's hoping everyone buys the island and the community remains strong!

crispyben

edgefusion said:
There have been videos of them driving from the main island to the new island though right? So it's probably just a way of breaking up the online community. I'm really surprised though, this is one thing Criterion said they didn't want to. It's kind of disappointing, here's hoping everyone buys the island and the community remains strong!
Select "Enter Paradise City" > you can play with everyone, but cannot go on BSI
Select "Big Surf Island" > you can play with those who selected it, anywhere in PC and on BSI

dkeane

Wow just watched the video podcast. The island is so jam packed with content. I really can't wait. The construction and beach areas look great.

Mar

crispyben said:
I agree it's not quite clear! Here's my guess: if you choose "Enter Paradise City", the bridge remains closed, as it will for those who don't buy the Island. If you choose "Big Surf Island", you can go into and out of BSI from Paradise City. But this choice will decide who you can play online with... Again, my theory based on what we've seen so far.

Hmm... I hope so. If they split the island away from Paradise City and you can't drive freely between them, they'd officially lose my support.

dkeane

Mar_ said:
Hmm... I hope so. If they split the island away from Paradise City and you can't drive freely between them, they'd officially lose my support.
You can drive between them freely. They show it in the latest podcast.

Shearie

Mar_ said:

dkeane said:
You can drive between them freely. They show it in the latest podcast.

Sadly, the online community is going to be split since it seems you choose to play either with or without the island accessible. I can't imagine how horrible this would be if they ever decide to do a second island.

Gazunta

Er, it's just a 'quick' way of getting straight to the new island instead of having to drive there from potentially the other side of the city. Nothing is closed.

Shearie

[quote="Gazunta]Er, it's just a 'quick' way of getting straight to the new island instead of having to drive there from potentially the other side of the city. Nothing is closed.[/quote]

I got no indication from that in the video.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey I'm online right now, anyone want to do some Timed Challenges I'll be online for the next hour, shoot me a message. My PSN is: adam_prime

Chris R

Jtwo said:
^If there is I would be very interested in it.
The slowmo crashes are cool for like the first 10 hours, but after like 40 or 50 it's just like "cooooommmmeeee oooonnnnnn get back to the game."
I turned off rumble in my controller for this reason alone. So stupid.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
Yeah just watched it. It looks fucking incredible. I'd pay almost retail price for this.
Me too, but I think our views are biased by the long wait :lol Man, I was really expecting to find dozens of enthusiastic posts when I got to the office, but no... I just watched CrashTV 33 again, and I didn't even know where to start making screencaps! The sheer density of BSI makes it impossible to convey its awesomeness through anything else than moving pictures :D I will however post this, as a complement to the events and discoveries lists:

2lkvfd3.jpg

> Island License for the offline progression with 15 events: 2 Island Tours (marked with a white palm tree), 1 Burning Route, 4 Races, 3 Stunt Runs, 3 Road Rages and 2 Marked Mans

Gazunta said:
Er, it's just a 'quick' way of getting straight to the new island instead of having to drive there from potentially the other side of the city. Nothing is closed.
I beg to disagree... They spawned at the Big Surf Coast Guards HQ Junkyard because they were playing off a fresh save (they only drove and repaired the Cavalry beforehand, leading to the three discovered events on the mainland).

For the rest, I'll repost my theory: if you choose "Enter Paradise City", the bridge remains closed, as it will for those who don't buy the Island. If you choose "Big Surf Island", you can go into and out of BSI from Paradise City. But this choice will decide who you can play online with... Select "Enter Paradise City", and you can play with everyone, but cannot go on BSI. Select "Big Surf Island", and you can play with those who selected it, anywhere in PC and on BSI.

However, that does raise the question of userbase fragmentation, with at least for separate Freeburn lists: BSI+Cars, BSI+Bikes, PC+Cars, PC+Bikes. In order to not split it any further, the preview shots of CrashTV 34 show they will use a tiny badge next to the BSI owners' names in online Freeburn, exactly like they did for C&R owners, so that you can tell at a glance who bought it and who didn't.

This is intriguing: why would we need to know if somebody bought BSI? If they're in a room with us on BSI, that's rather self-explanatory. Unless Criterion pull a MC:LA and make us pay for the events and cars, while making the island itself free... which would mean the badges are here to tell us if people will be able to contribute to the challenges, like they tell us if people can play C&R!!!

What do you think? Where's the flaw in my logic? Could be in the postulate at the start...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Really interested in this new Island, can't wait! I just got the Platinum Trophy tonight thanks to some good online players helping me get those Freeburn and Time Challenges! :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
UnluckyKate said:
It happens only when you perform Super Jumps at certains location. The Slow Mo is disable if you playonline... So you can just create a lobby for yourself when you're cruising if you really don't like slow mo.

thanks. By the way how is the force feedback in the game when using a steering wheel?

crispyben

***WARNING*** BSI SPOILERS INCOMING ***WARNING***

There's a new CGN post about (what else) Big Surf Island, which confirms all I previously posted and reveals the number of roads to rule on BSI. There are 12 of them, and we already have 11 names: Paradise Keys Bridge, Jacobs Street, Lipscomb Way, Daniell Way, Shires Drive, Griffin Boulevard, Huntley Boulevard, McDonald Road, Maguire Road, Glover Way, Pitt Avenue.
What's the final mystery road?

Island_World_02.png
Island_World_03.png
Island_World_04.png

Island_World_05.png
Island_World_06.png
Island_World_07.png

Island_World_08.png
Island_World_09.png
Island_World_010.png

Island_World_011.png
Island_World_012.png
Island_World_013.png

Island_World_014.png
Island_World_016.png
Island_World_017.png

Island_World_018.png
Island_World_019.png
Island_World_020.png

Island_World_021.png
Island_World_022.png
Island_World_023.png

Island_World_024.png
Island_World_025.png
Island_World_026.png

Island_World_027.png
Island_World_028.png

I'm a little out of touch on the DLC for this... can anyone give me a quick rundown of what's out there?

Last I saw, they released the party pack, and there was word of some special cars (like the Back to the Future Delorean) and toy cars. Are they out? What are the packs currently available? What about that cops n robbers thing?

crispyben

Philanthropist said:
I guess there won't be an airport in the end. Too bad :(
It was scrapped during the development of the main game, at some point in the game's progress the DJ mentions it sunk. But there's plenty left to have fun, just look at the video :D

Ramenman

What would a spoiler tag about Burnout contain ?

I'm confused.

Edit : That podcast looks far more of a spoiler than anything could contain. No way I'm discovering everything with someone else playing. I'm already sold on this island anyway :D

Wow... some of the cars look fun. How are they to drive?

I wonder if they'll make an all in one pack at some point with better value. I'd hate to buy stuff individually and end up paying far more.

FerranMG said:

I had no way to download like a gig of patches because my Live connection was shit for the last 2 years at uni so Ultimate Box gave me all I needed, but now I need the new patch for toy cars and stuff it's made the ultimate box the pointless box which is £15 more expensive new. So grab what you prefer the box art for.

Originally I thought the 4 special cars were in the pack along with the first 2 main patches and the party mode but I was fooled, oh well.

As for the island dlc, now that I have fully read what to expect from the island I think it's worth the money as long as it's not more then 1600, anything over that is really really terrible and off putting. I still not brought any of the other paradise DLC yet because it's way over priced.

crispyben

Psychotext said:
Wow... some of the cars look fun. How are they to drive?

I wonder if they'll make an all in one pack at some point with better value. I'd hate to buy stuff individually and end up paying far more.
They're fun and add variety, but I find myself going back to the originals... P12 and Hawker FTW! As for the All-in-one pack, it should happen, but maybe during the summer?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Philanthropist said:
I'm still hoping for $10 at most, but my fear is $15. They can't possibly reach $20, that's what the full game is now.
Look at all the work that went into it though. I've been prepped for as much as 20 for a while.

Ramenman

Philanthropist said:
I'm still hoping for $10 at most, but my fear is $15. They can't possibly reach $20, that's what the full game is now.

10 won't happen dude. Look at all the work put into it. Your best hope is 15, and I'd personally call it whisful thinking.

If people could pay $20 for the useless party pack + the ultra light cops and robbers, then 20 bucks for 75 smashes, 45 billboards, 15 mega-jumps, 15 events, an awesome stunt playground and 9 new cars is an awesome deal.

Yes the full game is 20, but it's one year and a half old. For a new user, $40 for BP + free DLC + Island is a great deal too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The map is a lot bigger than the layouts show. Seeing the hud I can feel comfortable in spending my monies. It's pretty damn big.

big_z

just watched the video, looks awesome.

i wonder if they will do another expansion maybe add the massive part of land that was cut off on the bottom of the original map.

Wizpig

I think i have 100% on "shops" [or drive thrus] but i haven't unlocked the Shopaholic achievement... are car parks you found listed in-game or not?
I don't think the achievement is glitched, guess i still have to find something...

Top Bottom