• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Haeleos

The Party Pack looks really underwhelming. I can pass the controller to my friends in single player already. So basically Criterion want me to spend money on a flashy menu system and their half ass implentation of local multiplayer?

Brandon F said:
Bleh. Just started playing bikes mode last night on 360. Lame they didn't add achievements for that mode, yet PS3 has trophies for it. Shame too, bikes are pretty fun and handle well. I guess free content does have a downside.

Also, the PS3 trophies look amazingly easier to earn than the 360 achievements, like a lot of the challenges were dumbed down instead of just copy/pasting them over. Weird.
PS3 Trophies are not locked to the cap of 50 trophies, unlike the 360 version. Also, before the introduction of trophies, Burnout on PS3 had their own system of in game trophies (still does?), which is why it seems like there is more.

From the way they've added trophies on the 360 version (Including the party pack only brings it to 1050 points), there's probably going to be more updates, right up until it fills up to 1250 (MS's own imposed limit on available points per game).

Haeleos said:
The Party Pack looks really underwhelming. I can pass the controller to my friends in single player already. So basically Criterion want me to spend money on a flashy menu system and their half ass implentation of local multiplayer?
That's the nice thing about PDLC. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I know I most likely won't for the party pack.

Unless you really want those trophies. :lol

Returners

AlphaTwo00 said:
PS3 Trophies are not locked to the cap of 50 trophies, unlike the 360 version. Also, before the introduction of trophies, Burnout on PS3 had their own system of in game trophies (still does?), which is why it seems like there is more.

From the way they've added trophies on the 360 version (Including the party pack only brings it to 1050 points), there's probably going to be more updates, right up until it fills up to 1250 (MS's own imposed limit on available points per game).

PS3 awards are still there. The main reason why the 360 version is harder is because the achievements are directly tied to the awards. So when you get an award you get an achievement. PS3 on the other hand, is definitely easier in the trophies side, but the awards still require some heavy commitment.

And also I guess MS doesn't like companies giving away DLC achievements for free. So i'm assuming the last 200 points would be tied to all the car packs and the island (which are paid).

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Awesome.

What's the icon next to the shield (4th from left)?
It's the Burnout Time Savers Pack (aka the NFS/EA pack):
Burnout Store said:
Pressed for time? Love the cars? Want to have them all NOW? This one's for you.

Brandon F said:
Also, the PS3 trophies look amazingly easier to earn than the 360 achievements, like a lot of the challenges were dumbed down instead of just copy/pasting them over. Weird.
That's because the Trophy patch came very late in the life's game and wasn't retroactive, so easier Trophies meant more incentive to restart the game from scratch, because you can get most of them in around 10 hours.

Returners said:
PS3 awards are still there. The main reason why the 360 version is harder is because the achievements are directly tied to the awards. So when you get an award you get an achievement. PS3 on the other hand, is definitely easier in the trophies side, but the awards still require some heavy commitment.

And also I guess MS doesn't like companies giving away DLC achievements for free. So i'm assuming the last 200 points would be tied to all the car packs and the island (which are paid).
Not true.
The original in game awards for PS3 had 60+. There was one for every class you went up in game. This wasn't in the 360 version. When the trophies patch went through, they added more and different ones than the 360 version.

Achievements, according to MS, can be given away for free, if the developers desired. Bioshock gave away the first 100 in an update, IIRC. The only requirement is that the base 1000 points must be available to all as part of disk (or free updates).

crispyben

Between not learning the map because of restarts and not knowing how the handle the cars because they were bought, this will produce some terrible online players...

crispyben said:
Between not learning the map because of restarts and not knowing how the handle the cars because they were bought, this will produce some terrible online players...
Which will allow a lot of us to rack up the Mugshot achievement faster.

I'm only 10 wins away from my Burnout License! :D

Question: For showtimes, is it better to use stunt or aggression class, or will any car perform pretty much the same as any other?

Negatronic said:

Question: For showtimes, is it better to use stunt or aggression class, or will any car perform pretty much the same as any other?
I'd assume aggression cars might be better, but I did it all with Hawker Solo.

The bigger the car, the better it works. And, finding a way to chain the buses will be the most important.

Aladuf

Banned
Negatronic said:

I found it way easier to do with an aggression car, they seem to have more boost than the other classes so that helps.

Returners

Negatronic said:

I used the 4x4 or the Carson Inferno Van. Mainly for their size.

crispyben said:
The trailer for the Ultimate Box (watch in HD) has two more tantalizing hints... The in-game store shows content represented by a PCPD shield that wasn't there in CrashTV 21, could it be the rumoured Cops & Robbers mode? It also shows the Hawker Mech (part of the Boost Specials DLC pack, revealed through trophies) for the first time!

10rps7a.jpg

29bdegg.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
what would you guys say is the better racing game between this and grid?

Templar Wizard said:
GRID is a...sim?

have you even played GRID?

I played the demo and I didn't like it :p

I guess it's arcade-y to some extent like Dirt, but it had some realistic components I'm not interested in, so I guess I labeled it as sim-ish to myself.

Surfheart

I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the burnout dload from the PSN?
Also it's getting a pricedrop soon? Is that in all territories?

Returners

Surfheart said:

29.99 NA store.

Will be getting a price drop very soon (rumored before or on Feb 5th to coincide with the release of the Party Pack)

Surfheart said:

I believe it was 3.2 GB but the game installed is like 3.4 GB. The February 5 update is likely to make it bigger.

the download doesn't include any of the previous updates so that increases the file size. though I was wondering if the "OG" download has a spot to input sponsor codes since Criterion supposedly removed that feature in one of the updates, 1.5 I think.

bune duggy said:
the download doesn't include any of the previous updates so that increases the file size. though I was wondering if the "OG" download has a spot to input sponsor codes since Criterion supposedly removed that feature in one of the updates, 1.5 I think.
Are you sure? I remember seeing this in the pause menu just yesterday, and I have all of the updates. (Not that I know that's there's been any use for it.)

DMeisterJ

Banned
So, I just bought Burnout Paradise! I was at the store, and it was only 20 bucks, so I dove in. Are you proud of me? :)

Haven't played it just yet, but I'll get around to it in a few minutes.

Probably gonna go and buy this for 360 if they have it used at Gamestop. There's a 20% off used game coupon this week + 10% off with edge card probably brings it down to like $12 or $13 [didn't do the math]. Someone was nice enough to game share this game with me on PSN but I haven't played too much and almost everyone I know does their gaming on 360, unfortunately.

crispyben

blackMamba1187 said:
Probably gonna go and buy this for 360 if they have it used at Gamestop. There's a 20% off used game coupon this week + 10% off with edge card probably brings it down to like $12 or $13 [didn't do the math].
Would you consider spending a few more dollars so that Criterion Games benefit from your buying the game? Maybe you will buy all the DLC :D

itxaka

Defeatist
whoa...cops and robbers?

I got disconnected from this game like 5 months ago and I'm planning to start playing it again and I found is gonna be already another awesome update?

I'm glad I spent 65€ on this game, all that money pales in comparation with other developers support after the game is launched. Criterion deserves it.

Oh, if anywant wants to hook me up on PSN to do some challenges or freeburns: itxaka

crispyben

blackMamba1187 said:
I thought the dlc was free. If not I will buy it when it is available.
All GCC (Game-Changing Content) released throughout 2008 is free: Cagney Pack (2 new cars, 3 new online modes, 70 new challenges), Bikes Pack (4 bikes, 70 new challenges, 2 new licences, I don't know how many events), day/night cycle, weather... This is downloaded to your console when your first boot the game or will be available in the Ultimate Box. The UB also contains the Party Pack, the first in a series of paid DLC: Party Pack, Toy Cars, Boost Specials, Legendary Cars, Big Surf Island, mystery PCPD pack... To prepare for all this, a free update (including the restart option) will be available next Thursday and in the Ultimate Box.

Is that clearer?

itxaka said:
whoa...cops and robbers?

I got disconnected from this game like 5 months ago and I'm planning to start playing it again and I found is gonna be already another awesome update?
This is a rumor for now, and the update is next week. Welcome back :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I had a $10 best buy reward zone certificate... picked this puppy up on the PS3 for $13 and some change.... sweet.

crispyben

I'm thrilled to see so many people picking up this game a year later. To all new players, do yourselves a favor and try not to use the upcoming" retry" option too much, or only late in the game, you'll get to know Paradise City much more easily and quickly if you drive back to your starting point. Otherwise, how are you going to find the hidden shortcuts/smashes/billboards? :D

Strike

I'm thinking about finally dipping in now that Burnout Paradise is really cheap and DLC is readily available, but I want to know what's going on with the Ultimate Box?

PatzCU

Strike said:
I'm thinking about finally dipping in now that Burnout Paradise is really cheap and DLC is readily available, but I want to know what's going on with the Ultimate Box?

Same here, I need an arcade racer. I have Forza 2, but I just don't think I have as much fun with sims. Also, it seems like BP is just a more complete package than MC:LA.

So for Strike and I; should we wait for the Ultimate Box or just pull the trigger on the $20 current box? Is the update with the 'restart' option going to be available to all for free?

I am definitely amazed at how this game has been getting media attention and talked about so much for now a full year. Their free DLC really made them one of the most talked about games of the year.

I was a big fan of the first few Burnouts but then they started wearing thin. I tried the demo when it came out but wasn't blown away by it so kind of let it be at first. After all the talk though, and the low price point, I ended up picking it up in September and loved it. The most fun I have is just driving around and looking for all the secret passages and all the billboards, it's addictive trying to find them all.

Definitely a worthy purchase for anyone like me who was getting a bit tired of the series.

Daigoro

wow, another awesome update.

i cant believe they actually put in RESTART. thats pretty cool. now everyone can stop bitching. ill try to avoid using it for the most part until i get up to the later events if i feel i need it.

im going to buy that DLC too. i dont feel like i paid enough for this game buying it at $20 a few months back.

Criterion is awesome.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, this game is fan-fucking tabulous. And the 20 price point is perfect. I've already unlocked like nine trophies in like 1.5 hours of play, and I really enjoy it much more than revenge.

One question, How do I do crash/showtime mode?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DMeisterJ said:
Wow, this game is fan-fucking tabulous. And the 20 price point is perfect. I've already unlocked like nine trophies in like 1.5 hours of play, and I really enjoy it much more than revenge.

In the X360 version, it was pressing the top bumper buttons together at the same time. For PS3, I'm assuming it's L1+R1.

isamu said:
what would you guys say is the better racing game between this and grid?

Very different games. GRID is a traditional racer, Burnout Paradise is more of an arcadey free roaming/stunt game. I had more mileage out of Burnout Paradise.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DMeisterJ said:

Hold L1+R1 while going

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DMeisterJ said:
Thanks! I'll try that later.

Is it really as bad as some people say it is?

I didn't think it was that bad. But I'm not one of the people who cried over the lack of old crash mode from previous Burnouts. They weren't my favorite mode in the previous games so I had no problem with it.

Top Bottom