• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Before you get into buying filters check out your lens. If, like me, you have the kit 18-55 and/or the EF-S 55-250, on both of these lenses the front element rotates, which makes it a bit of a bugger getting the filters the right way up (at least that goes for graduated filters and linear polarisers).

Danoss

captive said:
this is not correct. You can get what is called Graduated Nueatral Density filters in lots of flavors(2 stop, 4 stop, 6 stop etc) that decrease the a scenes dynamic range.
Heh. Check the sentence below what you quoted. ;)

Unfotunately, GND filters don't always apply due to design, they are very situational. If you have a Cokin setup and can easily rotate it or are able to hand-hold it at an angles position, that's handy for when the area you want to stop down isn't perfectly horizontal.

Note that a polarising filter doesn't solve the problem either. A polarising filter is designed to cut reflections, a by-product of this is that it increases colour saturation of objects at a 90 degree angle to the sun.

Don't let this stop you though, a polarising filter and a plain neutral density filter are well worth having in your photographic kit.

There is a considerable difference in quality with filters, not necessarily brands but there are tiers of quality within brands. The most well regarded and expensive brand is B+W. Cokin have a great filter system, the only downside is if you're moving around quite a bit, then it can be quite cumbersome; if you're not, it is the cheapest way to go as the filters are literally just sheets of glass costing a fraction of the screw-in equivalent. Then of course there are Kenko/Hoya which are one and the same, though you will find Hoya branded filters are more expensive for absolutely no reason.

My personal choice was to grab a Kenko Pro 1 D circular polariser and a Kenko Pro 1 D ND8 (though the shop was out of stock of said ND8 so they swapped it for the superior Kenko Zeta ND8 at no extra charge :)). Their Zeta range is very good, so if it's not much more than the Pro 1 D equivalent where you shop, go for it. Some money saving advice would be grab the largest size filter to fit your biggest lens diameter eg. 77mm and then buy step-up rings if necessary to fit smaller lenses.

One piece of equipment that would be good for you to add that is beyond helpful is a light meter. They're quite reasonably priced if you get an analog style unit, pretty small to so you can pop one in your pocket. They are much more accurate than the in-camera meters as they can measure incident lighting (light falling on a subject or scene) rather than reflective lighting (the light reflected from an object) as your camera does. Both have their uses but incident lighting is a better measurement on most occasions. Just a passing thought, feel free to ignore it.

I've rambled on long enough and have probably worn out my welcome in the thread also, I shall depart now.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Timedog said:
I don't like the idea of a ND Grad. If there's an abrupt change, that seems to force your hand composition-wise. A tapered change seems like you're gonna get forced vignetting. How would a ND grad have worked in my train shot where the sky isn't taking up the entire screen horizontally? The top of the train would have had a weird vignette looking thing.

Thats definitely one of the things about ND filters. They work swell for horizons that sweep across the frame or maybe some objects that peak over it but in the your train photo the upper right of the image would have been much darker than below. I think in that case the blown out sky would have been preferable to a train that goes from dark to normal weirdly.

Another suggestion would be to convert the photo to black and white. Its not really a fix if you want the image to stay in color or even remedy the problem of blown out skies but I've found that a scene with a large Dynamic Range (and something is gonna get clipped) comes off looking better in Black and White.

Mengy said:
Seems like most everyone in here likes SLR's and DSLR's. How do you all feel about bridge cameras? A week ago I bought a Fujifilm HS20EXR and am really loving it.

fuji_finepix_hs20exr.jpg

It has great controls and modes, a 24mm to 720mm range (30X), takes both RAW and JPG, and is relatively small and lightweight. The pictures are fantastic as long as you aren't a pixel peeper or do alot of intense cropping and zooming in. And honestly, the RAW data does allow you to do that. The JPG's are meant to print as shot though for the most part, which is fine for a hobbyist like me. The versatility of this camera is worth the trade off for me. It's also exceptionally good in low light and high ISO situations, which is a pleasant change for me.
reasons i wouldn't consider a bridge camera at this point are the general speed of operation and the way the sensor size affects low-light sensitivity and depth of field control. however, that camera costs less than half as much as it would take to cover the same focal length range with lenses for my SLR, so i can see why other people would find one useful.

Does anyone have a Canon EF 24-70 mm F/2.8 L Lens? I'm seriously considering dropping the grand on this badboy (Not just for photography but video as well)

tino

Banned
ND Grad can easily be duplicated in Photoshop and its much more flexible in Photoshop. I would only suggest a Circular Polarized filter to darken and sky/bring out the detail of the cloud a little bit more.

If your frame doesn't have sky in it, you can't really blame a modern DSLR sensor for not having enough dynamic range. I suggest you play with HDR software and technique. Photoshop CS5 has fake HDR called "HDR toning" or some such that's pretty handy btw.

Or you can always upgrade to a D700.

Alucrid

Banned
I screwed up when I bought my Rebel XS. I should have waited a bit longer and got something better...with video too. So, since I'm an idiot, I'm probably going to upgrade shortly. Hows the new Rebel T3i?

MRORANGE

Alucrid said:
I screwed up when I bought my Rebel XS. I should have waited a bit longer and got something better...with video too. So, since I'm an idiot, I'm probably going to upgrade shortly. Hows the new Rebel T3i?

it's just a 550d with a flip screen, but it's still a very good camera. (it also has a few features from the 60d)

DCX

DCX
Try to gauge a price for my Nikon D90, with carrying case, 16GB SD card and 18-105mm lens. What you think i can get for it?

DCX

Alucrid

Banned
MRORANGE said:
it's just a 550d with a flip screen, but it's still a very good camera. (it also has a few features from the 60d)

Yeah. Apparently the T3i...well okay, not apparently, but the T3i is the successor and I think there's about a ~$100 price difference so I'm wondering if the upgrades it has are worth it.

The 18 mpeg CMOS will be way better than the 10.1 MPEGs I have now, right?

MRORANGE

Alucrid said:

should be a lot better (although I never really used a 1000D )

mclaren777 said:
I just found this lens in my old desk. Does it have any meaningful value?

t18CX.jpg

there pretty cheap on ebay, around £50/$80 if you tried to sell it on there.

mclaren777

Alucrid said:
Yeah. Apparently the T3i...well okay, not apparently, but the T3i is the successor and I think there's about a ~$100 price difference so I'm wondering if the upgrades it has are worth it.

I have a T2i and I think it's amazing. Here is another discussion of the T2i vs T3i debate...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&message=38317955

Fireye

Alucrid said:

What's wrong with the XS? It isn't a STELLAR camera, but getting that is far from screwing up (unless you paid a high price for it). Decent sensor, lots of options, only thing I found lacking on mine was no spot metering and the limited iso settings. Good enough for a beginner/learners camera.

I picked up a 50d after my XS got stolen, since I wanted lens MFA. T3i is great if you want to wirelessly control flashes or really want that fold-out screen. Otherwise, T2 is fine.

Alucrid

Banned
Fireye said:
What's wrong with the XS? It isn't a STELLAR camera, but getting that is far from screwing up (unless you paid a high price for it). Decent sensor, lots of options, only thing I found lacking on mine was no spot metering and the limited iso settings. Good enough for a beginner/learners camera.

I picked up a 50d after my XS got stolen, since I wanted lens MFA. T3i is great if you want to wirelessly control flashes or really want that fold-out screen. Otherwise, T2 is fine.

By screw up I mean buying something now to have it rather than wait a bit and get something with the features I wanted at the time.

mclaren777 said:
I have a T2i and I think it's amazing. Here is another discussion of the T2i vs T3i debate...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&message=38317955

Thanks, reading through this now.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
mclaren777 said:
Lens Rentals

I was toying around with the idea of renting my dream lens before actually buying it and I was surprised by how cheap these services can be. Have any of you done anything like this before? What are some things to watch out for (apart from insurance)?

$33 for 3 days plus $26 shipping
$37 for 4 days plus $29 shipping

dzyEbl.jpg

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for a short film I'm shooting next weekend from Borrowlenses.com, so I'll be able to give you a review after next weekend on whether it's good or not. I got insurance on everything.

Gabyskra

Banned
I'm looking for a wide lens with a nice F number... It seems like nothing compares to the Tamron 17 50 2.8 when it comes to price/quality. Am I wrong? I there's a nice lens able to do around 18mm at F2 or F1.8, under 500$, I'd consider it (Canon user). Or a 18mm f2.8... It does not have to be a fixed focal.

BlueTsunami

Gabyskra said:
I'm looking for a wide lens with a nice F number... It seems like nothing compares to the Tamron 17 50 2.8 when it comes to price/quality. Am I wrong? I there's a nice lens able to do around 18mm at F2 or F1.8, under 500$, I'd consider it (Canon user). Or a 18mm f2.8... It does not have to be a fixed focal.

The fast zoom lenses at this focal range will be at f/2.8 as a baseline aperture. As far as primes goes you won't find extremely fast super wide lenses beyond 20mm but there is a fast 20mm lens from Sigma (the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 that seems to go for around $500). If you want wider there's the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 that is supposed to be extremely good Here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VSGQPG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its a manual focus and aperture lens though. Its also very wide on a Full Frame camera (and around a 22mm lenses Field of View on a crop camera).

Then you've got the super wide zooms from Tokina, Sigma and Canon that go from 10mm to 17 or 20mm. Not sure about the prices on these lenses though but if you need wide, these are some good lenses. The Tokina 11mm to 16mm f/2.8 has quite a reputation for being very good but it goes for around $700.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
killertofu said:
Does anyone have a Canon EF 24-70 mm F/2.8 L Lens? I'm seriously considering dropping the grand on this badboy (Not just for photography but video as well)

I have it, it is FREAKING awesome. The only problem with this lens is that I should have bought this before I got the 28-135mm. I ended up giving the 28-135 to my little brother.

Here are some of my cosplay shots with this bad boy
Anime Expo 2010
Anime Los Angeles 2011
Anime Los Angeles 2011 2nd pic

sneaky77

I bought the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 which is a bit cheaper, cause I couldn't afford the Canon and I am very happy with it as well

BlueTsunami

Got my Domke F-5XB yesterday...

5709482721_87c03fea15_b.jpg

Its one of their smaller bags. Its able to hold 3 mid sized lenses or 1 DSLR with lens and another lens (I've also been able to fit 2 of my manual lenses and my small 50mm attached to the DSLR in the bag).

Before I got the bag I'd stuff my lenses in random pockets, random bulges here in there. Using the bag in the field this morning I can reach in without looking and pull out lenses rather easily. It also went through the drizzly weather like a champ (the exterior is canvas). Very happy about this purchase.

Stalfos

BlueTsunami said:
Got my Domke F-5XB yesterday...

Its one of their smaller bags. Its able to hold 3 mid sized lenses or 1 DSLR with lens and another lens (I've also been able to fit 2 of my manual lenses and my small 50mm attached to the DSLR in the bag).

Before I got the bag I'd stuff my lenses in random pockets, random bulges here in there. Using the bag in the field this morning I can reach in without looking and pull out lenses rather easily. It also went through the drizzly weather like a champ (the exterior is canvas). Very happy about this purchase.
Thats a very nice looking bag.

Halvie

Banned
Looking to sell this lens. Outside of return window. Barley used. New condition.

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM.

$370 shipped USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation.

11uhno5.jpg

Guys I have a question I need answered ASAP.

I am going to Greece for two weeks.

My current equipment set is

Rebel XS
EX430 II Flash

50mm f/1.8
70-200mm F/4L
18-55 IS (kit)

I will not be able to go again for some time.

I have enough money for the following.

24-105mm IS F/4L

or

Rebel T3i
+
17-40mm f/4L.

I really would freaking love to take video. However, the walkaround would be fantastic. I need thoughts within the next 30 minutes. Thank you!

Danoss

Pick neither lens and grab a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC). It's a great walkaround at that focal range and with a constant f/2.8, you're better suited for most lighting conditions. The money you have saved can go to accessories, future lenses or an even better body.

luoapp

Danoss said:
Pick neither lens and grab a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC). It's a great walkaround at that focal range and with a constant f/2.8, you're better suited for most lighting conditions. The money you have saved can go to accessories, future lenses or an even better body.

I guess you didn't notice he already has a 70-200mm F/4L. Once you have an "L", there is no turning back.

I will definitely say Rebel T3i + 17-40mm f/4L. (1) video, (2) wide lens is essential when shooting landscape.

tino

Banned
I would just get the 17-40 f/4 to compliment the 70-200 f4. Both lenses are great overall packages. I wish Nikon offer something in the same price range. The Nikon 16-35 f4 vr is a over engineered and over weighted design.

tino said:
I would just get the 17-40 f/4 to compliment the 70-200 f4. Both lenses are great overall packages. I wish Nikon offer something in the same price range. The Nikon 16-35 f4 vr is a over engineered and over weighted design.

Is the lesser cost of the 17-40 at a signifcant cost versus the 24-105

Danoss

luoapp said:
I guess you didn't notice he already has a 70-200mm F/4L. Once you have an "L", there is no turning back..
Well, that put me in my place didn't it? I have 2 "L"'s: 70-200 IS f/4L and 24-105 IS f/4L; I ordered a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 after owning both. It's an excellent lens that can be overlooked if you only pay attention to the L range, which the closest it offers to the 17-50 range with 2.8 is 16-35 which is hardly ideal for a walk-around lens (and costs about 4x as much).

The_Inquisitor said:
Thanks. I also do not have filters for any of my lenses. Any recommendations for a good polarizer for my 70-200mm and 50mm?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391183-REG/Hoya_XD67CRPL_67mm_Circular_Polarizing_Pro.html

Look for this or the Kenko equivalent, obviously not at that price. They're becoming a bit harder to find (or pricey if you do) with the recent Japan disasters. If you grab a 67mm, it will fit on your 70-200 and the Tamron 17-50 should you choose it. Of course, grab the 52mm equivalent filter for your 50mm or grab a step-up ring if you want to save some money, since I'm sure you don't use it with a hood.

Danoss said:
Well, that put me in my place didn't it? I have 2 "L"'s: 70-200 IS f/4L and 24-105 IS f/4L; I ordered a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 after owning both. It's an excellent lens that can be overlooked if you only pay attention to the L range, which the closest it offers to the 17-50 range with 2.8 is 16-35 which is hardly ideal for a walk-around lens (and costs about 4x as much).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391183-REG/Hoya_XD67CRPL_67mm_Circular_Polarizing_Pro.html

Look for this or the Kenko equivalent, obviously not at that price. They're becoming a bit harder to find (or pricey if you do) with the recent Japan disasters. If you grab a 67mm, it will fit on your 70-200 and the Tamron 17-50 should you choose it. Of course, grab the 52mm equivalent filter for your 50mm or grab a step-up ring if you want to save some money, since I'm sure you don't use it with a hood.

I'm sorry, there are quite a few versions of the lens. Which one am I specifically looking for?

Edit: If it's equivalent in terms of IQ to the 17-40 from Canon, I can afford it in addition to my 60D I am going to get. So you haven't been disappointed by the image quality at all versus your L lenses?

Danoss

The_Inquisitor said:
I'm sorry, there are quite a few versions of the lens. Which one am I specifically looking for?

Amazon

B & H Photo

Edit: Is the IQ on the Canon's in question better? Of course. In the case of the 17-50 vs the 17-40, is it worth almost double the price to gain this difference (and lose a stop in the process)? No.

I see the 17-40 f/4L as a nice, value landscape lens for a full-frame camera.

Having the 17-50 being a stop faster is a great advantage also, especially as a walk-around lens. It will save you either bumping up the ISO or even missing a shot. This is why I have it on top of the 24-105, the 2.8 on 17-50 allows me more versatility as the extra stop makes available light less of a concern. The only time I will ever replace the 17-50 is if I go to a 5D and will want the 24-70 f/2.8L.

tokkun

I'm wondering if it is worth buying a 50mm f1.7 prime if I already own a 50mm f2.8 macro. How much practical advantage is there between f1.7 and f2.8?

Danoss

The_Inquisitor said:
This is the non-IS right? I read the non-IS has better IQ.
Correct, the non-IS (or non-VC in Tamron terminology) has better IQ. IS/VC isn't really required in the 17-50 focal range either, especially with f/2.8 at your disposal.

Danoss said:
Correct, the non-IS (or non-VC in Tamron terminology) has better IQ. IS/VC isn't really required in the 17-50 focal range either, especially with f/2.8 at your disposal.

Okay. Time to go blow some last minute graduation cash. I'll post my photos in the thread when I get back. I have gotten off track in my photography as of late. Time to get back into the game.

So I am looking to sell my XS now. What do you think a reasonable price to sell it with the kit lens is? I was thinking 350 with my crappy first camera case and the box with most of the manuals and cable.

alphaNoid

Banned
Alucrid said:
T3i is very good but, check the Canon Loyalty Program, trade in your XS for credit towards a 60D and walk way happy.

alphaNoid

Banned
Halvie said:
Looking to sell this lens. Outside of return window. Barley used. New condition.

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM.

$370 shipped USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation.

11uhno5.jpg
This will be my next and last lens, will compliment my 24-70 2.8L

BlueTsunami

tokkun said:
I'm wondering if it is worth buying a 50mm f1.7 prime if I already own a 50mm f2.8 macro. How much practical advantage is there between f1.7 and f2.8?

Its about a stop and I think 1/3rd of light, which is quite a good amount.

mrkgoo

Danoss said:
Amazon

B & H Photo

Edit: Is the IQ on the Canon's in question better? Of course. In the case of the 17-50 vs the 17-40, is it worth almost double the price to gain this difference (and lose a stop in the process)? No.

I see the 17-40 f/4L as a nice, value landscape lens for a full-frame camera.

Having the 17-50 being a stop faster is a great advantage also, especially as a walk-around lens. It will save you either bumping up the ISO or even missing a shot. This is why I have it on top of the 24-105, the 2.8 on 17-50 allows me more versatility as the extra stop makes available light less of a concern. The only time I will ever replace the 17-50 is if I go to a 5D and will want the 24-70 f/2.8L.

I have both the canon efs 17-55 f2.8 is and the canon ef 17-40f4l.

Something to keep in ind about lenses is the build quality. People love to rave about how image quality is the most important thing, but in my experience the diminishing returns of high end camera gear exceeds my own ability anyway, to the point the minor improvements matter little.

That said, I use my 17-40 f4l a lot more, because it's lighter, doesn't extend, has better weather protection, and not prone to breaking on me (i've had a bad history with the 17-55).

I've relegated the 17-55 to my second body, which my wife uses. It's infinitely more versatile, but I'm just not comfortable using it. I'd say the 17-55 is hands down sharper, especially at the corners, has better distortion properties, but the 17-40 perhaps has slightly better colour.

The iq difference to me isn't as important as the other features.

I know you're referring to a different lens, just thought i'd weigh in on some of my thoughts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The_Inquisitor said:
Guys I have a question I need answered ASAP.

I am going to Greece for two weeks.

My current equipment set is

Rebel XS
EX430 II Flash

50mm f/1.8
70-200mm F/4L
18-55 IS (kit)

I will not be able to go again for some time.

I have enough money for the following.

24-105mm IS F/4L

or

Rebel T3i
+
17-40mm f/4L.

I really would freaking love to take video. However, the walkaround would be fantastic. I need thoughts within the next 30 minutes. Thank you!

how much indoors Vs outdoors? Its Greece, you aren't going to need to worry about light, so an f4 lens will be more than enough. Have you shot with either of those lenses before? Some people say the 24-105 is not wide enough on a crop body, but I loved mine - it was my walkaround lens. I didn't miss the wideness but always felt the 18-55 range was too limited for me.

Two step program for you:
1) Buy a t3i, its a great camera and a nice upgrade. Use your existing lenses set to 24mm or higher and see how you get on with it. Only you will know if you need wider.

2) If 24mm is fine, rent a 24-105 for the trip. If you miss the width, rent a 17-40/15-85IS/17-55IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom