• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrkgoo said:
I'm going tO just reiterate how awesome the efs 60 mm macro is. Such awesome colour and sharPness. It had slightly scratchy hokey but nothing to be really concerned about. Oh, it had slight light fall off at wide oPen apertures, but again, typical and not worth fretting over.

I just loved the focal length. I like 50-80ish on croP anyway, so it was just perfect for me. I love the compactness and general versatility of the lens, because unlike the 100, it's a short tele, making it kind of a 50 mm replacement.

Some of the best shots I've ever taken was with my macro, and it would he my most missed lens in the efs line up. That is if it weren't already stolen by aviation 'security'.

One last thing about macro is that the light decreases at macro distances. There's a reason for it, like the image circle increases as you get closer or something, making the same amont of light having to be spread over more area and thus being 'darker'. It just means you will require longer shutter for correct exposure. But don't worry your lght meter knows and comPensates.

Good to hear more positiveness about the lens. I bought one yesterday and hope it's to me by Monday. :D

Milpool said:
I decided to bite on that kit too since it's on sale on Amazon uk at £588 down from £649, only had it a day but I'm liking it so far. Bearing in mind my last camera was an S3 IS.

While I understand technology always moves forward and one needs to decide to jump in at one point otherwise they'd never buy anything, I'm not sure it was smart on your part. E-P2, even marked down, is a bit pricey still. And the rumored successor is supposed to be just around the corner. That new model might turn out to be just a slight upgrade, but at least, you'd still have the possibility top get an even cheaper E-P2 by then.

That is of course assuming you wanted a higher-end model like the E-P2 and the lower-end E-PL1 (or the new E-PL2) wouldn't quite meet your needs.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
instigator, they bought the EPL2, according to the first post about buying the kit.

There's not much difference between any of them at any rate.

Milpool

Instigator said:
While I understand technology always moves forward and one needs to decide to jump in at one point otherwise they'd never buy anything, I'm not sure it was smart on your part. E-P2, even marked down, is a bit pricey still. And the rumored successor is supposed to be just around the corner. That new model might turn out to be just a slight upgrade, but at least, you'd still have the possibility top get an even cheaper E-P2 by then.

That is of course assuming you wanted a higher-end model like the E-P2 and the lower-end E-PL1 (or the new E-PL2) wouldn't quite meet your needs.

It was the the E-PL2 which just came out that I got, not the E-P2. The E-P's are a bit out of my price range.

I noticed a black dot on a 1:1 image today, I'll have to do some investigating to see if the sensor has a dead pixel. Is it worth sending it back just for one pixel if it does happen to have one, or is there anything that can be done?

captive

Milpool said:
It was the the E-PL2 which just came out that I got, not the E-P2. The E-P's are a bit out of my price range.

I noticed a black dot on a 1:1 image today, I'll have to do some investigating to see if the sensor has a dead pixel. Is it worth sending it back just for one pixel if it does happen to have one, or is there anything that can be done?
olympus cameras offer pixel mapping, not sure if the EPL2 has it though.

Milpool

captive said:
olympus cameras offer pixel mapping, not sure if the EPL2 has it though.

It does, found it in one of the hidden menus I hadn't checked through yet, cheers. Hopefully it works.

tino

Banned
Plasmid said:
A girl i graduated with is selling this for 100$.
She said it's been used twice, manuals etc, anyone able to identify what kind it is? or if it's worth 100$?

205785_1635766415891_1288620034_31388255_755861_n.jpg

If both lens are zoom is not worth it.

The body is worth only 20. And you can a very new ZX-7 for 30 on ebay anyway.

Any zoom lens that is f4.5-5.6 don't worth anything.

You can get a used digital Canon (or Pentax if that's your thing) for around 200.

MRORANGE

what would be the effect of using a full frame lens on a micro 4/3 body? usually a full frame lens placed on a cropped slr gives a longer focal range, does the same apply for a micro 4/3 body?

captive

MRORANGE said:
what would be the effect of using a full frame lens on a micro 4/3 body? usually a full frame lens placed on a cropped slr gives a longer focal range, does the same apply for a micro 4/3 body?
It doesn't give you a longer focal length. What it does is give you double the field of view. So if you have a 200mm lens it will give you a similar field of view to a 400mm lens on a full frame sensor. It crops the center of the lens and projects that on to the sensor, so the lens should perform better, IE there shouldn't be any vignetting and it should be sharp across the frame.

It also gives double the depth of field, this can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you want to do.

mrkgoo

captive said:
It doesn't give you a longer focal length. What it does is give you double the field of view. So if you have a 200mm lens it will give you a similar field of view to a 400mm lens on a full frame sensor. It crops the center of the lens and projects that on to the sensor, so the lens should perform better, IE there shouldn't be any vignetting and it should be sharp across the frame.

It also gives double the depth of field, this can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you want to do.

To clarify, nothing actually happens to a lens when you stick it on a smaller sensor body ( think about a lens focuses light - nothing you wave about in the back will change that).

What actually changes is what you record. The image projected from any lens is a a circle. Since you're using a smaller sensor, you're capturing a smaller part of that image circle as compared to a larger sensor body, thus the decrease in field of view.

As for depth of field, since your image is smaller, more things will 'appear in focus', thus the wider depth of field. It's unintuitive, I know, but it,s kinda like how a smaller image appears 'sharper' than a bigger one, or how viewing an image from further away makes a blurry image appear sharper. To fully understand it, you have to understand the concept behind 'circles of confusion' (a very apt name, since I don't even fully get it yet).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just bought an Extension Tubes kit. Its the Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit. Its all metal and has no electric connectivity (so basically a set of dummy tubes). It works well for me though since I shoot purely with Manual Lenses (Aperture and Focus). So the lack of connectivity really comes through in the cost (only $11!). Can't wait to get them, especially with flowers starting to bloom.

Stalfos

BlueTsunami said:
Just bought an Extension Tubes kit. Its the Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit. Its all metal and has no electric connectivity (so basically a set of dummy tubes). It works well for me though since I shoot purely with Manual Lenses (Aperture and Focus). So the lack of connectivity really comes through in the cost (only $11!). Can't wait to get them, especially with flowers starting to bloom.
I've been thinking about getting something like that for a cheap introduction into macro photography. I don't have any manual lenses though so I'd either have to get the more expensive Kenko tubes, get a manual lens, or take the lens off after pressing aperture preview before starting a macro session.

Arcipello

Can anyone recommend a good lens that roughly fits these specs? 18-80 3.5/5.6 IS and with a canon fit??? id say i have a budget of £250 but could stretch if i find "the one"

Danoss

Arcipello said:
Can anyone recommend a good lens that roughly fits these specs? 18-80 3.5/5.6 IS and with a canon fit??? id say i have a budget of £250 but could stretch if i find "the one"
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-IS equivalent) is quite well regarded.

BlueTsunami

Stalfos said:
I've been thinking about getting something like that for a cheap introduction into macro photography. I don't have any manual lenses though so I'd either have to get the more expensive Kenko tubes, get a manual lens, or take the lens off after pressing aperture preview before starting a macro session.

You could probably buy a cheap manual Macro Takumar on keh.com for the price of a set of Kenko tubes.

Looking at the site I'm seeing a 100/4 Super Takumar Macro for $200 (which is kind of pricey) but I'm sure the optics are fantastic. I also see an Olympus 50/3.5 Macro for $90.

Another option would be to get a cheap manual 50mm lens, the set of tubes I bought and you'd be in the same setup I plan on shooting.

Arcipello

Danoss said:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-IS equivalent) is quite well regarded.

apart from the F number there isnt a whole lot of difference between that and the kit lense i got with my 550D :( im really wanting something with a bit more zoom.

tino

Banned
Arcipello said:
apart from the F number there isnt a whole lot of difference between that and the kit lense i got with my 550D :( im really wanting something with a bit more zoom.
There isn't much different berween 50 and 80mm either. Why dont you just crop the photo. 2.8 let you handheld at night and indoor, think about it.

Danoss

Arcipello said:
The Tamron is optically superior to the kit lens, by a large margin, the "F number" is a bigger deal than you think, especially indoors, but I understand your issues with the limit of the focal length. Do note that the effective range of the lens I recommended is actually 27-80mm on your crop body. You're honestly missing out on a great lens.

Anyway, if that's not your cup of tea, perhaps the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is more to your liking.

BlueTsunami

Arcipello said:

You won't find a lot of lenses that encompass that range of focal length for crop cameras (all the way to 80mm). Canon does have one but its a consumer zoom and I'm not too sure of its quality...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-s-17-85mm-f-4-5.6-is-usm-lens-review.aspx

Generally people keep the kit zoom and end up getting the Canon 70-200mm f/4 when they need more reach.

Canon also has a super zooms that isn't quite up to snuff IQ wise as a lens that has a tighter focal range but gives you a large zoom range...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET6QFY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I agree though, with Danoss about the Tamron. Its has fantastic IQ (up there with Canon's own $1,000 18-50/2.8 IS). But if you want something longer, you need something longer.

JackEtc

I'm posting in here barely knowing anything about cameras, but I've always been interested in film and video production, and have done a few short films with friends. I'm also considering going to school and dabbling in a few video production classes.

What's the best DSLR for video that a high school student could possibly afford? I've done a little bit of research, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the T3i / 600D is the best for the buck (especially since it just dropped 80 dollars on Amazon).

Anyone else have an answer or comments on the T3i?

JackEtc

Danoss said:
Hi JackEtc, this may be a better question suited for the guys in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398058

For value for money, I'd lean towards a 60D if you want a swivel screen. It's a bit more solid to hold too.
Thanks for the link.

While I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone have experience with the T2i or T3i with image quality. Is the 60D better as far as shooting stills go? I'd probably end up getting into photography if I got a DSLR anyway.

RisingZan

Neo Member
CameraGAF assemble!

I've been flirting with taking the DSLR plunge for a while now, and a number of scheduled trips this year have convinced me to take the plunge. Problem is, I know if I get something too bulky I'll never use it. I like the looks and image quality of the Sony nex-5 and the Nikon 3100, and while I don't see myself making films, the option for 1080p is a nice one. Though I do like the pocket wonder of the Canon s95 too! If anyone has any pointers or other recommendations, I'd love to know.

VNZ

JackEtc said:
What's the best DSLR for video that a high school student could possibly afford? I've done a little bit of research, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the T3i / 600D is the best for the buck (especially since it just dropped 80 dollars on Amazon).

Anyone else have an answer or comments on the T3i?
The 600D is an awesome deal, especially for film making. The Panasonic GH2 could be an alternative, a lot of people swear by it for video.

Battersea Power Station said:
Not optical equipment, but this is really useful for a frequent snapper:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04/eyefi-mobile-x2

It's one of those Wi-Fi enabled SD cards, but with apps that automatically send photos to your Android phone / iPhone.
This 8GB version might be a little too steep for me at $80, but I think I'd give it a try with their Connect X2 smaller 4GB version at $40 since firmware upgrades for mobile phone connection/'direct mode' will be available for all X2 cards.

This would be great to use on my Nikon D7000's dual SD card slots...the first slot can store the RAW pic on a high-capacity SD card, and the second slot can store a lower-res JPG version on a low-capacity Eye-Fi that can be transferred to my iPhone to quickly text/e-mail/facebook/etc if needed. A 4GB Eye-Fi Connect X2 with firmware upgrade should be way more than enough space to store and transfer a ton of lower-res JPGs.

Friggin' nice...!

Chairhome

I don't exactly need a new flash, but this was pretty tempting, supposed to come out soon. Canon 320EX, a Speedlite with an LED on the front to be used as a modeling light or as a video light. Anyone have any insight on a release date for it?

41TyYY8StJL.jpg

bionic77

RisingZan said:
CameraGAF assemble!

I've been flirting with taking the DSLR plunge for a while now, and a number of scheduled trips this year have convinced me to take the plunge. Problem is, I know if I get something too bulky I'll never use it. I like the looks and image quality of the Sony nex-5 and the Nikon 3100, and while I don't see myself making films, the option for 1080p is a nice one. Though I do like the pocket wonder of the Canon s95 too! If anyone has any pointers or other recommendations, I'd love to know.
As a beginner I love everything about my 3100, but I wouldn't consider it a serious video camera. Too much blurring and it doesn't seem to focus too quickly. I imagine the higher end DSLRs will better suit your needs if you want video.

But as for stills, I really think the 3100 is a good deal (they are always having great deals on it at Amazon and Newegg), it isn't that bad to carry around, and has enough options to keep a novice busy for a while (but is also great in AF when you are too lazy to diddle around).

MRORANGE

New 50mm f1.8 was leaked online for Nikon (FX), this one will have AF-S motor built in so will autofocus on D40, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100

eyPG6.png

Might have to pick this up to compliment my 35mm f1.8 :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a former Canon dslr owner, and now I have a nex5. I love the portability and the tilt screen lets me play with angles in landscape mode (I do wish it would swivel though, its limiting in portrait). But i find the reach of the kit 18-55 limiting, the 'compact' 16mm is too wide for me as a walkaround, and the 18-200 is expensive and massive compared to the camera.

So I'm considering getting another Canon. Now, i had a 40 and 50D, and a 550d, and while i liked the size of the 550d, i much preferred the twin dial layout of the 50D. But I'm nit sure i can justify a 60D just for that reason, and i know I'd be eyeing a 7D for the better AF. So should i look at the 600d? I know from the nex5 that the articulating screen is much more than a gimmick, but how practical is it on a Canon? It means using live view which is pretty slow - is the quicker live view mode fast enough for general use?

I think i can probably live with the single dial considering i managed with the nex5

is anyone using a dslr and a mirrorless? I'm thinking maybe to keep the nex 5 as something i can more easily take anywhere with me.

yeah, exactly like that - basically i use my NEX for taking to bars and times when i don't have a bag and stuff, and my a55 for when i actually go out to shoot. the upshot is i almost always have a good quality camera on me now.

i don't know about canon (is it just that you still have a bunch of canon equipment?), but i think what you're thinking about makes sense in principle - the NEX is a way better secondary camera than primary.

Zyzyxxz

MRORANGE said:
New 50mm f1.8 was leaked online for Nikon (FX), this one will have AF-S motor built in so will autofocus on D40, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100

eyPG6.png

Nice, but part of me wants to pick up the older 1.4 so that it will work with my NIkon FG too.

captive

bionic77 said:
As a beginner I love everything about my 3100, but I wouldn't consider it a serious video camera. Too much blurring and it doesn't seem to focus too quickly. I imagine the higher end DSLRs will better suit your needs if you want video.

But as for stills, I really think the 3100 is a good deal (they are always having great deals on it at Amazon and Newegg), it isn't that bad to carry around, and has enough options to keep a novice busy for a while (but is also great in AF when you are too lazy to diddle around).
if you're really into video your probably better off manually focusing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
yeah, exactly like that - basically i use my NEX for taking to bars and times when i don't have a bag and stuff, and my a55 for when i actually go out to shoot. the upshot is i almost always have a good quality camera on me now.

i don't know about canon (is it just that you still have a bunch of canon equipment?), but i think what you're thinking about makes sense in principle - the NEX is a way better secondary camera than primary.

Don't have any current Canon gear, other than some old FD lenses for my NEX. But I used to own Canon dslrs and so I'm familiar with them, and like their lenses.

Although.. If I got a Sony dslr, I could possibly use a-mount lenses with an adapter on the nex.. I remember the A55 being pretty compact and I was impressed by the hybrid focus thing they have going on. Is the Sony lens lineup well fleshed out? (NEC is very weak here)

MRORANGE said:

eyPG6.png

I'm kinda looking around for a used Nikon 85mm f/1.8D for a decent price...but just my luck, I bet Nikon will announce a brand-spankin'-new AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G version once I get one =P

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
captive said:
if you're really into video your probably better off manually focusing.

You should be manually focusing. Unless maybe you're shooting interviews. I don't understand how anyone would want to run auto focus in video.

InnerFu

Neo Member
Hey Gaf, camera noob reporting in.

Basically i take a lot of pictures indoors and at night, but also dabble quite a bit with the outdoors. I'm looking for a basic point and shoot somewhere in the $200 range. A lot of people on the first page suggested the Fuji F30 but those posts were from 4 years ago so i'm not sure how relevant they are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Just picked up an Olympus E-PL2. I had before it an E-PL1. In my opinion there's a huge difference between the two models. The E-PL2 feels light years faster than the E-PL1 with the kit lens. The AF locks on fast, and accurately now. The grip feels much more comfortable for my hands, and the LCD is fantastic.

Picked up a 30.00 adapter off amazon and a Zuiko OM 50mm f1.8 lens on craigs for about 27 bucks. For 60 bucks, can't complain on the combo. Some results below:

5620620955_a37b974024_b.jpg

5620617623_630374325c_b.jpg

5621206964_448a9f4fc8_b.jpg

Now I'm just trying to find a decently small camera bag, that will allow for me to keep a couple extra lenses, and battery.

InnerFu said:

Basically i take a lot of pictures indoors and at night, but also dabble quite a bit with the outdoors. I'm looking for a basic point and shoot somewhere in the $200 range. A lot of people on the first page suggested the Fuji F30 but those posts were from 4 years ago so i'm not sure how relevant they are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd take a look at the Sony HX5V or Panasonic ZS7. Seen both land as low as 219.00 or so on popular websites.

Both cameras take fairly good low light shots, etc. Both support a nice zoom distance. Etc.

tino

Banned
InnerFu said:

F30/F31 is over priced. You can buy its successor F100fd for $100 ish used.

You can buy

F100fd
F200ext
LX3
Canon s90

in increasingly higher used price. Avoid any p&s that has smaller than 1/1.7" sensors.

If you are a cheap bastard, the F20 used the sensor as the F30.

Basically don't expect too much from the budget you have. Night photography aint cheap.

VNZ

Unlimited4s said:
How is Aperture for editing photos? Is it worth 62 euros?
It's a steal at the new price. I find it a bit too demanding on system resources though... Although now the competition is increasingly more CPU intensive as well so the performance difference between the various RAW developing programs isn't that large.

EricHasNoPull said:
Photography GAF Which SLR to buy?

Nikon D5000-KIT or Canon t1i 3818B005 ??? And Why?

Buy a D5000 if you want a bit more performance and features for photos. Buy the Canon if you want a slightly better movie mode.

BlueTsunami

Got my Fotodiox tubes. Its definitely not bad (aluminum build). Fiddling with different tube configurations (to achieve different levels of magnification) is definitely cumbersome though. That aside, here's an example of the magnifacation one can achieve with their 50mm lens (I used my Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 for this comparison which actually has a longer Minimum Focus Distance than the Canon 50/1.4)...

5625736962_96e936309f_b.jpg

And here's a photo with a typical subject at Macro distances (with my Zeiss 50/1.7)...

5625737032_402bea8df0_b.jpg

Can't wait to play with this some more

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Got my Fotodiox tubes. Its definitely not bad (aluminum build). Fiddling with different tube configurations (to achieve different levels of magnification) is definitely cumbersome though. That aside, here's an example of the magnifacation one can achieve with their 50mm lens (I used my Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 for this comparison which actually has a longer Minimum Focus Distance than the Canon 50/1.4)...

Can't wait to play with this some more

That last pic is dreamy gorgeous.

mrklaw said:
Don't have any current Canon gear, other than some old FD lenses for my NEX. But I used to own Canon dslrs and so I'm familiar with them, and like their lenses.

Although.. If I got a Sony dslr, I could possibly use a-mount lenses with an adapter on the nex.. I remember the A55 being pretty compact and I was impressed by the hybrid focus thing they have going on. Is the Sony lens lineup well fleshed out? (NEC is very weak here)
yeah, that's what i was thinking because it's nice to have a cross-compatible system! i don't think the sony lens lineup is missing much really. www.kurtmunger.com has good information and reviews of pretty much every alpha lens, plus minolta stuff and tamron/sigma lenses available in a-mount. i really like my a55 and would recommend it to anyone not invested in another system - especially as a nex complement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom