• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So I got a D40 a couple months ago and want to get a good zoom lens for it. Is this lens a good bang for the buck? I would really like something with AF so I don't have to mess with it myself as I plan on initially doing mostly point-and-shootish stuff with it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zesty said:
So I got a D40 a couple months ago and want to get a good zoom lens for it. Is this lens a good bang for the buck? I would really like something with AF so I don't have to mess with it myself as I plan on initially doing mostly point-and-shootish stuff with it.
It's pretty good during the day. Just don't expect it to work great at night without bumping up the ISO on the camera or really slowing down the shutter speed. Also, you'd best pack a flash when shooting in a dimly lit indoor area.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
zesty said:

This and the 35mm are the lens I usually bring with me all the time. I only use the zoom lens during daylight outside or at sport events (baseball games). But it's a good cheap zoom lens. Ouch at the current price though, I remember it was $170 from Amazon back in December when I got it.

Here's a sample pic I took on Sunday from the Giants vs A's game at AT&T Park, sitting in the bleachers. Fully zoomed at 200mm, processed in Lightroom

9biq6x.jpg

Full size: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5320/dsc7840.jpg

27ysufm.jpg

Full size: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8103/dsc7883x.jpg

snacknuts

we all knew her
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm not planning on doing much night shooting with it; mostly taking pictures of my nephews at sporting events or nature photography. Lens get!

Kawaii

Does anyone have any experience with the filters from the brand "Massa"?

Dealextreme had some cheap filters:

Polarizer: Cick
UV: Click

Anyone know how they are?

On an other note;

I'm buying a 50mm 1.8 prime lens this weekend :D Around 92 Euros. The shop said a lens hood is recommended, any opinions on that?

Gantz

Banned
Kawaii said:
Does anyone have any experience with the filters from the brand "Massa"?

Dealextreme had some cheap filters:

Polarizer: Cick
UV: Click

Anyone know how they are?

On an other note;

I'm buying a 50mm 1.8 prime lens this weekend :D Around 92 Euros. The shop said a lens hood is recommended, any opinions on that?

No clue but I say this, don't skimp on filters. I recommend B+W filters. They're the best. I would go for the 50mm 1.4 myself. The 1.8 feels like a toy and the AF sucks.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
IMG00053-20090618-1441.jpg

Came in today.
Olympus e30.
Decided to upgrade from the 510 for a multitude of reasons, more AF points, better sensor, swivel screen, more ISO options, same battery as 510.

Kawaii

Gantz said:
No clue but I say this, don't skimp on filters. I recommend B+W filters. They're the best. I would go for the 50mm 1.4 myself. The 1.8 feels like a toy and the AF sucks.
Dude, i'm a student i can't afford a damn 300 euros lens.

But thanks for you opinion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't even bother with a filter for my Canon and Nikon 50mm 1.8s. They were like 80 bucks, who gives a crap, I'll just buy another one.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Rentahamster said:
I don't even bother with a filter for my Canon and Nikon 50mm 1.8s. They were like 80 bucks, who gives a crap, I'll just buy another one.

Plus the front element is so damn deep that you'd have to TRY to damage it.

Plus spending more on a filter than the lens is silly, and buying a cheap filter = ugh.

neoism

OK, Gaf I need help, I'm sure this isn't the right thread, but I figured not to make my own thread for this. My birthday is the 23th, and I'm seriously getting a camera, I've been thinking of doing so for like a year or two! I want a really great SLR camera ! I don't really favor any particular brand, the ONLY important thing is that it's not over $650! So, please help me find something that's not shit, I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff, I'm definitely going to learn though! Anything Canon, or Nikon I guess! Also I'll more than likely getting it online, Amazon, Newegg those places. Please, any advice or recommendations would be awesome!

neoism said:
OK, Gaf I need help, I'm sure this isn't the right thread, but I figured not to make my own thread for this. My birthday is the 23th, and I'm seriously getting a camera, I've been thinking of doing so for like a year or two! I want a really great SLR camera ! I don't really favor any particular brand, the ONLY important thing is that it's not over $650! So, please help me find something that's not shit, I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff, I'm definitely going to learn though! Anything Canon, or Nikon I guess! Also I'll more than likely getting it online, Amazon, Newegg those places. Please, any advice or recommendations would be awesome!
Either a Nikon or a Canon DSLR in your price range will suit you fine. Stay away from sites that offer a camera much lower than you find on Amazon or Newegg as they probably will try to screw you on a package that includes overpriced shit you don't need, and will push the lines of legality in doing so.

neoism

Squirrel Killer said:
Either a Nikon or a Canon DSLR in your price range will suit you fine. Stay away from sites that offer a camera much lower than you find on Amazon or Newegg as they probably will try to screw you on a package that includes overpriced shit you don't need, and will push the lines of legality in doing so.
Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
$418.89
Is this good!

neoism

Lowepro Topload Zoom 1 Camera Bag (Black)
$20.33 -
SanDisk SDSDB-4096-A11 4GB SDHC Memory Card (Blue)
$9.99 -
Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
$418.89 -
Order Total: $465.14
shitty deal!???

Been thinking of what to get next for my D40...I might sell my 55-200 VR lens which I barely use and using the money from it towards one of the following primes:

- Sigma 50mm 1.4
- Nikon 50mm 1.4
- Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX - the 'budget' option

Anyone tried both the Sigma and Nikon 50mm 1.4s? Which one do you prefer?

neoism

neoism said:
So has anyone bought or heard WWW.buyinshopping .com Anything good, I just don't believe their prices they have a D60 for 320 0_o
Never mind, to good to be true I guess, I read some pretty suspicious shit! That and they the fucking most retarded shipping ever! "Best way" lol Guess it's ol trusty amazon, but I'll have to spend 100 more! :(

fart

Savant
GamePnoy74 said:
Been thinking of what to get next for my D40...I might sell my 55-200 VR lens which I barely use and using the money from it towards one of the following primes:

- Sigma 50mm 1.4
- Nikon 50mm 1.4
- Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX - the 'budget' option

Anyone tried both the Sigma and Nikon 50mm 1.4s? Which one do you prefer?
the last is not the budget option. 35 to 50 is a pretty significant difference in FOV. if you're looking for a normal, the 35 is the _only_ option. if you want a short portrait, a 50 is actually the budget option.* better portrait options: cosina voigtlander 58/1.4, nikon 60mm micro (the AF-S has better performance at distance, but the AF/D is no slouch either except at infinity where it's somewhat weak), nikon 85 either

* ok there are actually two other options
sigma 30/1.4
cosina voigtlander 40/2

fart

Savant
in case anyone's considering or has considered it, the ultrapod isn't stable at anywhere near its max load (4.5lbs) and the little ballhead is ridiculously finicky (ie, impossible to center, not stable, etc). also, all your shots will be horizontal from the ground.

Borman

Camera came today, waiting on the 8gb memory stick to come though, only have my measly 128mb one from my Wii, for all of 15 or 16 Fine JPEG shots.

IMG_0005.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fuckin' balls...my SB900 died. What the hell. Could it have been thermally related? I wasn't using it nearly as hard as I used my SB800s.

Dammit, I'd just buy more SB800s if I could...

fart

Savant
the sb900 seems to get really really hot at full blast. were you regularly hitting the thermal cutout?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, it would give me the thermal warning a lot. The SB800s took waaaay more abuse and I've never had a problem with them, though. Bah, at least I still got my warranty.

I'm gonna have to put the SB900 into carebear status.

That Lumopro $120 flash, however, is quite a trooper.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, the Olympus E-P1 looks really delicious. I'm a prime lens photographer, and I've been looking for the rangefinder of the digital age. I think this is it.

It's so freaking tiny, it has no mirror, it has nice lenses, it has kickass specs and a ton of just plain fun features. It's kind of expensive but you have to realize there are no competitors. The closest comparison is an M8 and that's $5k.

I could take it anywhere and get high quality photos without drawing attention. I'm so excited.

Dice

Aside from my AE-1 I've been using a Fuji E900 (worthless viewfinder) the last few years. I know about LCD screens outdoors. I can handle it.

Besides, if you're shooting in that blindingly bright of light, you're probably not going to be getting your best photos as it is.

fart

Savant
it's worth nothing that if it's crazy slow, the screen is horrid and the firmware is kind of shite then a sigma dp1 is smaller, has nearly the same SNR and resolution handheld and is a lot cheaper

Zyzyxxz

Dice said:
Oh man, the Olympus E-P1 looks really delicious. I'm a prime lens photographer, and I've been looking for the rangefinder of the digital age. I think this is it.

It's so freaking tiny, it has no mirror, it has nice lenses, it has kickass specs and a ton of just plain fun features. It's kind of expensive but you have to realize there are no competitors. The closest comparison is an M8 and that's $5k.

I could take it anywhere and get high quality photos without drawing attention. I'm so excited.

same, its so damn small and even records in 720P.

I think $800 is not a bad price.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
fart said:
it's worth nothing that if it's crazy slow, the screen is horrid and the firmware is kind of shite then a sigma dp1 is smaller, has nearly the same SNR and resolution handheld and is a lot cheaper
fart dogging something 4/3rds, shocking.

Where's the place to look at buying a Canon Mark II? Also, I am going to start doing more research myself... but for video use of the Mark II, what is a good all around lens?

Dice said:

It's tempting, but the lens selection is limited. With absolutely nothing planned before spring 2010, and whatever new lens at that point could very well be just for the standard 4/3 line so one would have to make due with the two lenses currently available. From every photo sample I've seen, the 14-42 zoom lens appear sharper than the 17mm pancake.

There's always the possibility of buying the lens mounts and have access to the 4/3 lenses from Olympus and the other m4/3 lenses by Panasonic, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having the E-P1. I can't imagine using this camera with the 70-300mm lens.

I hear a lot of bitching about a lack of a bonafide viewfinder built-in (electronic, and not like the separate, optical VF that only works with the pancake lens), but the lack of a built-in flash is more annoying, IMHO. By compact camera standards, those flashes are never that great, but they can be useful for some extra lighting on a sunny day.

Otherwise, ISO performance and the built-in IS are said to be impressive.

mrkgoo

Karma Kramer said:
Where's the place to look at buying a Canon Mark II? Also, I am going to start doing more research myself... but for video use of the Mark II, what is a good all around lens?

There's no good all round lens for video, really. The whole point of what makes the 5D mkII appealing from a video point of view is the use of narrow apertures in a video, as well as different effects from interchangeable lenses. To limit to one lens, you may as well get a dedicated camcorder.

Then again I know little of videocams.

On that note, a good allround focal length would be the 24-105 f4LIS.

Best Buy now sells this kit for $3299, last I checked. A little earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread), I contemplated putting down the cash with a 10% discount, and Oregon = no sales tax = super bargain. But I resisted. I wonder why - it was a good deal.

mrkgoo

B!TCH said:
Is this a good camera for a beginner?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

It's my first DSLR. I'm open to spend a lot on it if it will last me a long time (technically and in terms of durability).

It's a great camera for a beginner. Actually, a great camera for an expert too. Loads of room to grow. Trust me, there's little that this camera can do that any other SLR can't. The differences become incremental compared to cost from here on out. I started with the Rebel Xt equivalent, and it doesn't have loads of features the T1i does.

Of course, the next level up (XXD series) offers a metal body and better controls, but not much else that you would notice. Thing is, you may want to move there in future - but the best advice is to get what you're looking at now, and if you really need to upgrade from that, at that time, something super will be out.

mrkgoo said:
There's no good all round lens for video, really. The whole point of what makes the 5D mkII appealing from a video point of view is the use of narrow apertures in a video, as well as different effects from interchangeable lenses. To limit to one lens, you may as well get a dedicated camcorder.

Then again I know little of videocams.

On that note, a good allround focal length would be the 24-105 f4LIS.

Best Buy now sells this kit for $3299, last I checked. A little earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread), I contemplated putting down the cash with a 10% discount, and Oregon = no sales tax = super bargain. But I resisted. I wonder why - it was a good deal.

Thank you.... I'll look into this deal... also yeah I didn't mean I'd only use one lens, but I can't afford more then one for now, so I was more asking what's the best lens all around.

Dice

Instigator said:
It's tempting, but the lens selection is limited. With absolutely nothing planned before spring 2010, and whatever new lens at that point could very well be just for the standard 4/3 line so one would have to make due with the two lenses currently available. From every photo sample I've seen, the 14-42 zoom lens appear sharper than the 17mm pancake.
I haven't found any shots that are really comparable. Most shots I've seen from the 17mm were at really low apertures so they were soft because of that. I saw a couple at 8 but there weren't any similar shots from the 14-42 to compare them with. However, they did look pretty sharp, so my guess for the discrepancy is a misuse of apertures.

There's always the possibility of buying the lens mounts and have access to the 4/3 lenses from Olympus and the other m4/3 lenses by Panasonic, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having the E-P1. I can't imagine using this camera with the 70-300mm lens.
Long zoom isn't the purpose of this camera. It's obviously being targeted to fans of rangefinders and that whole style of shooting. Right now it does seem a bit bleak, but Olympus has supported their other cameras well enough and if this kicks off well enough I'm sure they'll make it worthwhile in the long run.

I hear a lot of bitching about a lack of a bonafide viewfinder built-in (electronic, and not like the separate, optical VF that only works with the pancake lens), but the lack of a built-in flash is more annoying, IMHO. By compact camera standards, those flashes are never that great, but they can be useful for some extra lighting on a sunny day.
I'm more bothered by the fact the flash they're making for it doesn't have bounce capabilities.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
mrkgoo said:
It's a great camera for a beginner. Actually, a great camera for an expert too. Loads of room to grow. Trust me, there's little that this camera can do that any other SLR can't. The differences become incremental compared to cost from here on out. I started with the Rebel Xt equivalent, and it doesn't have loads of features the T1i does.

Of course, the next level up (XXD series) offers a metal body and better controls, but not much else that you would notice. Thing is, you may want to move there in future - but the best advice is to get what you're looking at now, and if you really need to upgrade from that, at that time, something super will be out.

Thank you! That's the kind of advice I was looking for.

fart

Savant
get an XS or wait for an XSi instead. for stills the rebels are nearly functionally identical, so just get the cheapest

Shiggie

Im thinking of getting this for my mom, what do you guys think?
http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/dig...al-Camera/m63868359.html/st=product/sv=title#

Also I m looking for a flash for my Pentax. Something with comparable specks to
Pentax AF-360FGZ Dedicated Shoe Mount Zoom Flash, Guide Number of 119, ISO 100.
PXAF360FGZ.jpg

Code:
Specifications
Type	Shoe Mount
Guide Number	119' (ISO 100 at 85mm)
69' (ISO 100 at 24mm)
Zoom Range	24-85mm
Bounce Capability	Vertical bounce possible, click stops provided (-10�, 0�, 45�, 60�, 75�, 90�), lock provided at 0�
Swivel Capability	None
Auto Settings	With wireless slave: [1/1, 2/3, 1 / 2, 1 / 3].
Manual: [1/1, 1 / 2, 1 / 4, 1 / 8, 1 / 16, 1 / 32].
Flash Modes: P-TTL auto, TTL auto, auto, manual.
Angle of Coverage	60� to 23� (24 to 85mm in 35mm format)
85� with included wide angle adapter
Recycle Time	Recycling time Approx. 6 sec. (manual at full)
Number of flashes 250 with alkaline batteries
Power Source	Four 1.5V LR6 (AA-type ),
Dimensions (W x H x D)	2.8"x4.3"x4.5"
Weight	(without batteries) 9.6 oz.
Notes & Special Features	Flash Sync Mode: Leading-shutter-curtain sync, Trailingshutter- curtain sync, Contrast-control-sync, High-speed-sync, modeling flash.
Wireless Flash
Modeling Flash
but cheaper. I shoot a lot of indoor party/club and theater stuff I also do some portraits.

artist

Banned
Just bought a A300 with 17-50mm & 55-200mm for $500 flat. :D I'm thinking of selling the 55-200mm and get something else. Which one would you suggest? Thanks.

Borman

B!TCH said:
Is this a good camera for a beginner?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

It's my first DSLR. I'm open to spend a lot on it if it will last me a long time (technically and in terms of durability).

Look up a few posts, and youll see I just bought one as a first DSLR too :p

And of course there is a deal after I already bought one. Oh well, I paid 850ish for the camera, lens, memory card, and protector thing for the lens. Cant win em all :p

fart

Savant
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom