• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Let us know how it goes Flo! I have the money to buy the body today - but am holding off untill I see review and impressions. I also need to sell my two remaining canon lenses (sold off 2 already!)

Especially let us know about the video low-light performance.

Apparently it has the same problem as D7000 - you can't change the aperture in live view mode. FFFFUUUU nikon, why?

Still not too much of a biggy - I am investing in the samyang manual lenses (with aperture rings) for video anyway so I can still control it through them.

THAT would piss me off.

I have plenty of D lenses with aperture rings, but still.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Noticed that the panny gf3 with kit zoom is 300 new on amazon. Makes a nice gift, I think, now that regular small sensor point and shoots are nearly useless. Picked one up for my mom as an easy travel camera.

Apparently it has the same problem as D7000 - you can't change the aperture in live view mode. FFFFUUUU nikon, why?

I read this morning that you can in fact adjust the aperture on the D7000 in live-view with G/CPU lenses using the EV comp button.

I don't have a D7000, but will let you know when I get my D600.

Flo_Evans

I read this morning that you can in fact adjust the aperture on the D7000 in live-view with G/CPU lenses using the EV comp button.

I don't have a D7000, but will let you know when I get my D600.

I doubt it. More than likely that is using ISO shifting.

Edit: yeah I just played with it. Whoever said that is full of shit/doesn't know what they are talking about.

The ONLY way to get live view aperture control on the D7000 is to fit a lens with an aperture ring, and enable custom setting f6 > customize command dials > aperture setting > aperture ring.

As you can imagine this is a PITA due to nikons menu system. Thank god for the user modes on the command dial!

I just watched a video review of the 600 and it looks like it uses the same aperture control system as the 7000. Disappointing to say the least. I was hoping this could take over the 7D for video shooting, but this is a major flaw.

dmshaposv

You were so disappointed in the 6D you sold (or are in the process of selling) all of your glass?

I only had 4 lenses, of which two are already sold. They were EF-S/Crop sensor third party lenses so they wouldn't have worked on a full frame body as they are meant to.

Besides, it makes sense to invest in EF/or nikon equivalent full frame glass. We are headed in that direction anyway...

I still would like a 5DmKIII, but as I'm more of an enthusiast who mostly uses the video features (and occasionally the stills - especially timelapse) I can't see myself justifying the investment (besides not having the money for it atm).

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I only had 4 lenses, of which two are already sold. They were EF-S/Crop sensor third party lenses so they wouldn't have worked on a full frame body as they are meant to.

Besides, it makes sense to invest in EF/or nikon equivalent full frame glass. We are headed in that direction anyway...

I still would like a 5DmKIII, but as I'm more of an enthusiast who mostly uses the video features (and occasionally the stills - especially timelapse) I can't see myself justifying the investment (besides not having the money for it atm).

I am surprised you are not considering a Mk II, seems like a good balance of price vs. what you want.

dmshaposv

I am surprised you are not considering a Mk II, seems like a good balance of price vs. what you want.

No headphone jack. BIG omission. To me that is the single most annoying thing canon did - even more so than the no aperture control over d600 in live view.

Heck if 6D had only that, I'd consider it. Canon just cheaped out by trying to protect their cinema and flagship line. I dont care too much about the autofocus system, unclean HDMI stuff. But not knowing what you are recording in terms of audio really sucks when the competition provides that feature.

MKII is probably good - but since the 6D isnt out till december the MKII prices are still in the $1700 - $1900 region (in my country, dont show me US deals that are out of my grasp). \i'm not paying that much for a 4 year old camera. Even if it is one of the best. And at the same price point you have a more modern 6D. Plus I really want a camera where I can check up on my audio.

Thraktor

No headphone jack. BIG omission. To me that is the single most annoying thing canon did - even more so than the no aperture control over d600 in live view.

Heck if 6D had only that, I'd consider it. Canon just cheaped out by trying to protect their cinema and flagship line. I dont care too much about the autofocus system, unclean HDMI stuff. But not knowing what you are recording in terms of audio really sucks when the competition provides that feature.

MKII is probably good - but since the 6D isnt out till december the MKII prices are still in the $1700 - $1900 region (in my country, dont show me US deals that are out of my grasp). i'm not paying that much for a 4 year old camera. Even if it is one of the best. And at the same price point you have a more modern 6D. Plus I really want a camera where I can check up on my audio.

Get a Zoom H4N for audio, it'll give you much better audio than you'll get on-camera on any DSLR anyway. If the 6D's video quality is anywhere near that of the 5D MkIII (particularly on high ISOs), then I can see the 6D & H4N combo being the best deal for anyone looking to shoot video in that price range.

In either case, best wait for in-depth reviews of the video capabilities of each before committing yourself.

NEX users - what do you use for a Macro lens? I know Sony has a 30mm e-mount, but I'd like something longer.

I'm not much of a manual focus guy for general purpose stuff, but I almost always use manual for macro, so a manual lens + adapter ring would be just fine.

Something in the sub $500 range would be a bonus too. :D

I doubt it. More than likely that is using ISO shifting.

Edit: yeah I just played with it. Whoever said that is full of shit/doesn't know what they are talking about.

The ONLY way to get live view aperture control on the D7000 is to fit a lens with an aperture ring, and enable custom setting f6 > customize command dials > aperture setting > aperture ring.

Huh. Here is the discussion on dpreview.com. I only have a D90 and have only shot video with a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S on it.

D600 is at the store though. Tonight.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Noticed that the panny gf3 with kit zoom is 300 new on amazon. Makes a nice gift, I think, now that regular small sensor point and shoots are nearly useless. Picked one up for my mom as an easy travel camera.

I love the camera. I'm new to photography, but I think I got some pretty good shots with it from Vegas.

Flo_Evans

Huh. Here is the discussion on dpreview.com. I only have a D90 and have only shot video with a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S on it.

D600 is at the store though. Tonight.

Yeah that guy is flat out wrong. The exposure compensation in live view shifts the ISO to give you a preview of the exposure...

If you are in shutter priority mode the screen will say it is changing the f-stop, but it isn't. It will only change if you release the shutter to take a pic, or exit/re-enter live view.

Trust me. The design of the nikon mechanical aperture actuation doesn't allow this. They updated the lever in the D800/D4 ect but apparently left it the same (to save on cost is my guess) in the D600.

:(

tino

Banned
NEX users - what do you use for a Macro lens? I know Sony has a 30mm e-mount, but I'd like something longer.

I'm not much of a manual focus guy for general purpose stuff, but I almost always use manual for macro, so a manual lens + adapter ring would be just fine.

You rarely need AF for macro. The cheapest its probably various generations Tamron of 90/2.8. Do you have other DLR camera?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Possibly look into adapting a vintage macro lens? You'll probably b looking at $150 to $300 for a midrange to nice one. The focusing action for these manual lenses will make precision manual focusing that much easier at the macro level.

dmshaposv

Get a Zoom H4N for audio, it'll give you much better audio than you'll get on-camera on any DSLR anyway. If the 6D's video quality is anywhere near that of the 5D MkIII (particularly on high ISOs), then I can see the 6D & H4N combo being the best deal for anyone looking to shoot video in that price range.

In either case, best wait for in-depth reviews of the video capabilities of each before committing yourself.

I already have a Zoom H4n

So you suggest a 6D + H4n + Rode NTG setup?

Flo_Evans

my lenses are ready...

xjGrk.jpg

ugh but my stupid brother got the D600 delivered to his house instead of the office. Might not be here till 5 and I have to go pick up my kid!

Review/impressions might have to wait till tomorrow :(

Possibly look into adapting a vintage macro lens? You'll probably b looking at $150 to $300 for a midrange to nice one. The focusing action for these manual lenses will make precision manual focusing that much easier at the macro level.

I'd be down with that... what would you suggest? Something like a Canon FD lens vintage?

Thraktor

I already have a Zoom H4n

So you suggest a 6D + H4n + Rode NTG setup?

Well, I'd suggest waiting for reviews of both the 6D and the D600 before committing to either, but the 6D is potentially a great value camera for video for someone who's capturing audio off-camera.

Zyzyxxz

the kit lens is still sizable and the zoom range kinda sucks. But if you care about image quality you are right though, I have a GF2 with the 14mm pancake and it's crazy. I kind of want the power 14-42 pancake but not sure if convenience is worth the price.

tino

Banned
the kit lens is still sizable and the zoom range kinda sucks. But if you care about image quality you are right though, I have a GF2 with the 14mm pancake and it's crazy. I kind of want the power 14-42 pancake but not sure if convenience is worth the price.

IMO the pancake zoom is not worth the money. Look at the way Sony price its pancake zoom ($150 with camera or $250 without camera). Panosonic will drop the price soon to compete.

dmshaposv

Heh you haven't joined the team yet and you are already hard Nikon fan.

Nah, I'm just calling it like it is, in terms of specs. I'm sure there is more to cameras than spec sheets though - so as always lets wait for what professional reviewers have to say after actually using the two products.

Would still prefer a mkIII over a d800, though. Just havent got the green.

alterno69

Banned
Damn, so many FF choices. Taking my camera to my six year old son soccer practice yesterday was a HUGE mistake, i know want a camera with more than 9 freaking FP. Itook some decent action pics with my 60D yesterday but i would have liked better focusing at times.

Edit: yeah i use my 60D built in flash to trigger my 430 remotely, it is useful.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
About to purchase and get into the game- thinking a d7000 but now I hear about this full frame d600 -
As an amateur - should I go with the d600 ??

Zyzyxxz

IMO the pancake zoom is not worth the money. Look at the way Sony price its pancake zoom ($150 with camera or $250 without camera). Panosonic will drop the price soon to compete.

Yeah I'm only planning to keep the body as a backup camera, still trying to decide if I want to get NEX-6, Fuji XE-1, or GH3.

Love love love the D600. Here's my first upload (no RAW processing, just a bit on the JPEG): It's not a cat.

Schattenjäger;42323471 said:

Seems like an awfully big purchase for a new hobby. You certainly don't need one to learn photography or take great pictures.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Schattenjäger;42323471 said:
About to purchase and get into the game- thinking a d7000 but now I hear about this full frame d600 -

A D600 is overkill for your first camera. Don't spend $2k+ on a body if you are starting out, unless you are rich.

East Lake

I'd get an entry level body and a 35mm prime lens and wait until you're comfortable with the fundamental camera operations (Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and others) and post-processing. Photography can very time consuming and involved. It doesn't make sense to throw a lot of money into when you may not stick with it.

On the other hand my first camera was a Hasselblad.

Tonza

Anyone have experience from the Sigma 30mm 1.4? The reviews are pretty mixed. Some say its sharpness is pretty bad and some say its ok. Im a Pentaxian so there aren't many alternatives for a standard prime. The 35mm Pentax DA is only f2.4.

Pepto

Banned
Anyone have experience from the Sigma 30mm 1.4? The reviews are pretty mixed. Some say its sharpness is pretty bad and some say its ok. Im a Pentaxian so there aren't many alternatives for a standard prime. The 35mm Pentax DA is only f2.4.

I love my 30mm.

I once had a Sig 30 1.4 on Sony A, but I wasn't very happy with it. Sharpness was good only above 2.8 so I preferred the Sony 1.8 which was sharp from the beginning. The build was very fine though and AF was on the spot.

Tonza

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably go take a look on one. There's one used in a store for under 300 (euros). Too bad the Pentax FA 31mm f1.8 costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably go take a look on one. There's one used in a store for under 300 (euros). Too bad the Pentax FA 31mm f1.8 costs an arm and a leg.

If you buy one, make sure you can return it. The problem with the Sigma 30mm is quality control/sample variation. If you get a good sample, you'll be happy. If you don't, you'll want to exchange it for another one.

Chairhome

In case anyone cares, I just came back from my vacation and I rented the 8-15mm fisheye and the 16-35mm f/2.8L. I liked using them both, but didn't use the fisheye as much as I thought I would. Got a lot of compliments on the 16-35mm ("that's a nice lens!").

Some sample shots from each.

Was lots of fun. Might rent some again next time, cause I sure as heck can't afford those lenses, haha. I think my next purchase is a samyang 35mm 1.4

I'm thinking of buying a D7000 next week to replace my D40, which I grew out of a long time ago. Is Nikon expected to release the successor to D7000 soon or is it "safe" to buy it? I know the D600 just came out, but it's way too expensive for me.

Yoritomo

I'm thinking of buying a D7000 next week to replace my D40, which I grew out of a long time ago. Is Nikon expected to release the successor to D7000 soon or is it "safe" to buy it? I know the D600 just came out, but it's way too expensive for me.

Even if they released something new, it's unlikely to match the current sub 1k price of a d7000.

The d7000 sensor is still an amazing sensor. Will it's replacement be better? Sure. Either it will cost at least $200 more or lack features that the d7000 has in order to match price.

In February, Nikon Rumors said there would be three more DSLR bodies this year. So far we've had D600 and D3200. There have been no rumours that I've seen about the supposed third.

Nikon is a very leaky ship, I doubt very much you'll not hear about the D7000 replacement ahead of time.

tino

Banned
In February, Nikon Rumors said there would be three more DSLR bodies this year. So far we've had D600 and D3200. There have been no rumours that I've seen about the supposed third.

Nikon is a very leaky ship, I doubt very much you'll not hear about the D7000 replacement ahead of time.

By that logic there is no more Nikon DSLR this year. IMO D300s will get a refresh before D7000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom