• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

If the D600 is $2000 and D400 is $1600 no one will buy the D400. IMO both D400 and D7100 should go down market.

7D2 probably will go down market too.

IDK, some people still want a "full size" body with all the bells and whistles, and don't want to spend 3k.

A D300s new right now is $1700 on amazon.

tino

Banned
You can use the D600 as DX camera right? Unless D600 has worse AF than D300 I don't see a reason for Nikon to charge $1700 for a DX camera.

The D600 is only a 10mp DX. There is probably a demand for a 20-24mp DX body aimed at entgusiast sports and wildlife shooters, something akin to the role of the D2 at the time, but at D300 prices.

tino

Banned
Oh man Fuji is not dodging the subject and droped the bomb.

"Fujifilm technicians are seriously investigating the possible launch of a full-frame compact system camera (CSC) and are focusing on the sensor and processor that would be required.

Kawahara confirmed that the covering circle of Fuji's current X-series lenses is large enough to accommodate full frame. But he accepted that some current, wider, focal-length lenses would not be fully compatible with full-frame and that this risks alienating existing users."

If will be funny if Fuji make a FF body before Pentax does.

Flo_Evans

FUCK one of the viewfinder AF point LEDs is dead in my D600. Dat (lack of) Nikon quality control. :(

I was just starting to have fun with it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
7X42g.jpg

So will the RX1 be considered the shot heard around the photographic world? It seems like its made various companies take a long look at what they're offering at the upper end and the viability of FF in non-traditional bodies.

Flo_Evans

You can use the D600 as DX camera right? Unless D600 has worse AF than D300 I don't see a reason for Nikon to charge $1700 for a DX camera.

D300: higher FPS, more frame buffer, better AF (more points, more cross points), more powerfull AF motor, full magnesium body, more file types (tiff), more external controls, faster shutter speed, PC sync ports, higher flash sync, ect, ect.

It's a "pro" body vs. an "enthusiast" body. People that want or need these features will pay $1700 for it because its the cheapest body with all that crap on it.

Radec

Some pros buys a DX camera because of the 1.5x Crop. Partner it up with a 2x teleconverter and a Nikkor 500mm f/4 and you'll getting a 1500mm f/8 bazooka. And that's pretty long.

They even buy a Nikon 1 for more affordable reach.

East Lake

So will the RX1 be considered the shot heard around the photographic world? It seems like its made various companies take a long look at what they're offering at the upper end and the viability of FF in non-traditional bodies.
Yeah this is pretty great. I kinda felt like we were going the opposite direction with sensor size for a while there. Dark times!

centracore

FUCK one of the viewfinder AF point LEDs is dead in my D600. Dat (lack of) Nikon quality control. :(

I was just starting to have fun with it.

That sucks! At least you found the problem early and can get it fixed or replaced though.

Speaking of which.. I just got my D7000 on Tuesday, is there an easy way to check to make sure those are all working? Anything else I should be checking out too?

Flo_Evans

That sucks! At least you found the problem early and can get it fixed or replaced though.

Speaking of which.. I just got my D7000 on Tuesday, is there an easy way to check to make sure those are all working? Anything else I should be checking out too?

Put it in AF-A mode, cycle to D39 or 3D while looking through the finder. All of them should light up.

To be clear the AF point is working properly on my D600, it just doesn't highlight in the viewfinder like it should.

For the D7000 I would check AF calibration. Some early ones had bad back focus issues. It has an AF fine tune to account for different manufacting tolerances on lenses, but if you find you have to use it for every lens or you can't get it to focus right with it set +/- to the max value you should send it to Nikon or exchange it. I haven't heard of any being shipped recently with this problem but I haven't been paying attention after I determined mine was A-OK.

dmshaposv

Man who else thinks the red-orange "full frame 35mm cmos sensor" ring aroud the new full frame sonys looks super hot?

So for those who have been following the csc battle, what came out as the more interesting option

Sony nex 6 or fuji xe 1?

I have a bit of hands on time with some of Sony's new stuff later today. The RX1 and NEX6, I was thinking about getting the RX1, but having heard plans for a interchangeable lens version I might just wait it out.

The dream is for Sony to release the RX10 CSC (new R-Mount, E-mount works in crop mode) with the 35mm Zeiss, and Zeiss lenses in 16mm, 24mm, 50mm and 85mm ranges, with Sony G zoom lenses. It would take time to build up a collection of lenses at £800 per go and £2000 for the body, but I think it would be a hugely popular system. The RX1 has already sold out its initial allocation and the new Zeiss lenses are getting a lot of interest, it makes the NEX ecosystem look much more interesting to pro shooters.

Sony nex 6 or fuji xe 1?

They have the same sensor and EVF. It all depends on which lens ecosystem you prefer. Sony are really only missing a good 85mm now and a constant aperture f2.8 standard zoom. Fuji's line up is stronger IMO, but I think Sony have more resources and is a better long term bet and they have their long term deal with Zeiss which will produce superb lenses once every so often.

tino

Banned
They have the same sensor and EVF. It all depends on which lens ecosystem you prefer. Sony are really only missing a good 85mm now and a constant aperture f2.8 standard zoom. Fuji's line up is stronger IMO, but I think Sony have more resources and is a better long term bet and they have their long term deal with Zeiss which will produce superb lenses once every so often.

Really? Fuji IMO has better options in wide, standard, tele and standard zoom. The only thing NEX has better offering are tele zooms and superzooms.

NEX basically has no wide angle option and nothing coming on the roadmap. Zeiss lenses (no counting the E24) are coming to Fuji too.

Sony's mirrorless lineup is still weaker than Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji or even Samsung's. The only system they have an upper hand on is Nikon 1.

dmshaposv

They have the same sensor? Or you just mean the size being aps-c?

Wasnt fuji pimping some brand bew "x-trans" sensor on the xpro 1 which even xe1 is using?

Something about more film-like IQ and sharp pictures..better than full frame pics...or is it just marketing bs and sony is just as good?

tino

Banned
They have the same sensor? Or you just mean the size being aps-c?

Wasnt fuji pimping some brand bew "x-trans" sensor on the xpro 1 which even xe1 is using?

Something about more film-like IQ and sharp pictures..better than full frame pics...or is it just marketing bs and sony is just as good?

Its made by the same guy (Sony), but Fuji's version has different color sub-pixel mapping and do away with the lowpass filter. So basically 10-20% better effective resolution. Also, Fuji's own color and jpeg engine.

Much better dynamic range in low light IMO.

dmshaposv

Fuji's jpeg engine is really good.

I took some pics with a friend's x100 and most out-of-camera shots are really good. Much better than even some stuff out of standard entry-level DSLRs.

Don't know about sony. I know Sony makes (almost) everyone's sensors, and they have tremendous dynamic range (seen pics from d800 that put 5dmkIII to SHAME in terms of shadows/highlights detail) but I've always hated one thing about Sony - their goddamn UI/software.

All their user software is soo damn clunky, especially on their camcorders and cameras. I tried using a nex5n and it was frustrating changing most settings buried in their menu system. I also dislike the horrible time delay in switching off the LCD and turning on the EVF LCD on their nex7 when you bring your eye to it - hopefully that's not the case with the nex6!

How is fuji's software support? Sony's is goddamn awful - they give no fucks about firmware updates.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fuji has good support, but needs it. Their cameras can be extremely quirky performers at release. Fuji has updated the X100 firmware a bunch of times now though for huge steps forward in AF speed and accuracy, and provided additional customization options for mapping buttons to ND filter and ISO, etc. Feels like a different camera than at release. X-pro1 also has wildly improved AF speed with the latest firmware updates, I hear.

Hey guys I'm going on vacation soon and wanted to maybe use borrowlenses to have a better lens for the 3 days that I'm there. Right now I have a Canon 600D with the kit lens, nothing else. Budget is $50 and I guess I just want something that (might) blow me away and show me what the camera is capable of beyond the kit lens. My first instinct was to just get the 50mm 1.2, but these two lenses are pretty tempting too:

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Canon

I'm guessing that any lens is going to outperform the kit lens, but what do you guys think? My main concern is low light and portraits of my friends while we're walking around doing whatever. The lenses being 2.8 should create nice bokeh if I understand correctly and from what I've read they're supposed to be really sharp too.

dmshaposv

I recommend the Tamron 24-70mm VC.

2.8 aperture with VC will give you nice enough shots. Canon's 24-70mm "brick" is a very sharp lens, but is heavy and without VC you may get some blurry photos even at 2.8.
Tamron is much lighter too.

50mm on a cropped body will be tight. So it will be good for potraits but not so good if you want to get some wider shots (group photos, lets say). 50mm 1.2 will give you yummy photos filled with bokeh goodness and its lowlight capability will practically let you shoot in the dark.

I had a 600d and used that lens, and I can tell from experience it is damn near impossible to get a very sharp picture at f1.2. The Depth of field is razor thin and even the autofocus doesnt help. You'll have to stop down to f1.4 or f2.8.

I'd suggest getting both the tamron and canon 50mm f1.2 for fun and see what does what. But if it is only one you want, go with tamron.

Edit:

In fact a better focal range for you is tamron 17-50mm VC or canon 17-50mm IS. Same aperture (2.8) and more useful focal range for a cropped body. Effectively you'd be getting the "24-70" range as you would on a full frame.

Thanks for the write-up and good thing you mentioned those other lenses. I forgot about the crop factor and everything. Looked around their site and they have the Tamron 17-50 and the Canon EF-S 17-55. Judging from reviews, the canon would be the best way to go then. Everything i´ve seen looks really great anyway.

And as much as I´d love to get that 50mm too, I´m going to try spend as less as possible =P

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have to confirm that Sigma 19mm for Sony NEX is a badass lens while Sony's 16 mm is a piece of shit.

Flo_Evans

Man aperture has been quite shit for sometime...thinking of jumping ship to lightroom 4.

Been jumping ship a lot lately....

Yeah shit is nerve racking... I just tried it on a empty .lib file I made to load just for this purpose... and it fucking crashes trying to load that too.

all of my adjustments... :(

ugh anyone else having problems with aperture corrupting it's database?

Just installed the newest update

Haven't applied it yet. I haven't had corruption issues before, but just in case I have two nightly backups. So long as I do updates before a day's work and check before the next backup I'm OK.

D600 JPEGs made Aperture on my 2010 Mini@work choke. Had to get a photo uploaded for something and couldn't wait to get home and the 2006 Mac Pro.

Mobius 1

Thanks for the write-up and good thing you mentioned those other lenses. I forgot about the crop factor and everything. Looked around their site and they have the Tamron 17-50 and the Canon EF-S 17-55. Judging from reviews, the canon would be the best way to go then. Everything i´ve seen looks really great anyway.

And as much as I´d love to get that 50mm too, I´m going to try spend as less as possible =P

I just received the Canon 17-55mm on the mail (rented it).

My mind is blown by it. Fast, sharp, lovely range for a crop sensor camera. So happy I chose it for the vacation.

Radec

Sony's mirrorless lineup is still weaker than Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji or even Samsung's. The only system they have an upper hand on is Nikon 1.

And yet Nex's pretty much trumps all in reviews and comparisons.

Fuji's jpeg engine is really good.

I took some pics with a friend's x100 and most out-of-camera shots are really good. Much better than even some stuff out of standard entry-level DSLRs.

Don't know about sony. I know Sony makes (almost) everyone's sensors, and they have tremendous dynamic range (seen pics from d800 that put 5dmkIII to SHAME in terms of shadows/highlights detail) but I've always hated one thing about Sony - their goddamn UI/software.

All their user software is soo damn clunky, especially on their camcorders and cameras. I tried using a nex5n and it was frustrating changing most settings buried in their menu system. I also dislike the horrible time delay in switching off the LCD and turning on the EVF LCD on their nex7 when you bring your eye to it - hopefully that's not the case with the nex6!

How is fuji's software support? Sony's is goddamn awful - they give no fucks about firmware updates.

Fuji is awesome in firmware updates because their cameras need it so bad. Go google ver.1 of the x100 and xpro1. lol

mrkgoo

ugh anyone else having problems with aperture corrupting it's database?

Shit is not cool.

Just installed the newest update and *CRASH*

:(

Apparently this is pretty widespread. Enough so that I caught it before updating and I'm holding out for a fix. This is huge because I pretty much update everything as soon as I can.

Google aperture 3.4 and you get many hits about it crashing. Acuple big threads tpApple discussion.

I've read of two possible fixes:

1) trash your apple.com.aperture.plist (apparently 3.4 hates a Facebook setting)
2) reinstall aperture 3 from dic and upgrade immediately to 3.4 before opening. If you don't have a disc, I've heard you can also use the trial.

Flo_Evans

Apparently this is pretty widespread. Enough so that I caught it before updating and I'm holding out for a fix. This is huge because I pretty much update everything as soon as I can.

Google aperture 3.4 and you get many hits about it crashing. Acuple big threads tpApple discussion.

I've read of two possible fixes:

1) trash your apple.com.aperture.plist (apparently 3.4 hates a Facebook setting)
2) reinstall aperture 3 from dic and upgrade immediately to 3.4 before opening. If you don't have a disc, I've heard you can also use the trial.

I thought maybe the update contained sweet sweet D600 RAW support. :(

I am not looking forward to extracting and reorganizing all the images in my aperture library.

edit: w00t that did it!

Tried rebuilding the library a ton of times but forgot about that "trick" Thank you... can sleep easy this weekend.

Until the next time it fucks up.

mrkgoo

I thought maybe the update contained sweet sweet D600 RAW support. :(

I am not looking forward to extracting and reorganizing all the images in my aperture library.

edit: w00t that did it!

Tried rebuilding the library a ton of times but forgot about that "trick" Thank you... can sleep easy this weekend.

Until the next time it fucks up.

I know you're banned, but Apple has also posted some resolution if people are experiences crashes on startup of Aperture 3.4:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4412

It's basically reinstalling Aperture from disc.

edit: wrong link

tino

Banned
So the entry level version of the new Samsung mirrorless camera (NX1000) will run Android. Should I post it in the camera thread or the Android thread? I have no idea.

just want to keep it on my list in case China and Japan actually start a war I might have to stop buying Japanese and buy korean. Can't afford Leica body and german lens.

Radec

what good is "great pq" which i would argue isn't head and shoulders above anyone else, without lenses?

Lenses make a system.

Most of the time people who says that the NEX system have no lens haven't even hold a NEX yet nor have legacy lenses.

But hey, ignorance is bliss.

:)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My man. The fun way to shoot.

Talk about a learning curve. First decent camera ive owned with 50mm manual lens on a crop censor. I kept bumping into a lot of Parisians backing up in order to get enough distance to shoot lol. It's been fun learning about photography on the fly!

The kit lens easier to use but after shooting with a fixed lens I can't go back. Looking into the 30mm sigma or 35mm 1.8 from Sony that's coming soon.

Zyzyxxz

Most of the time people who says that the NEX system have no lens haven't even hold a NEX yet nor have legacy lenses.

But hey, ignorance is bliss.

:)

Sony is getting the 35mm 1.8, that focal length and aperature is enough to get me to buy the system.

I'm only an enthusiasts and can't afford the constant aperature zooms but the sensor and focus peaking are almost enough to get me to buy.

Honestly for me I don't need that man zooms, just get me a fast 35, a fast 85mm, and maybe a wide angle zoom.

Prez

Does anyone know a good program to edit black & white photos? I want to have a bunch of b&w photos printed on photo paper (by a photo printing service) and I want to make sure they'll look good on paper and avoid a green tint.

I have calibrated my monitor though but I can't get it entirely right. My monitor is a TN panel that doesn't have very good color accuracy and the tiniest change in vertical viewing angle looks different, so I can't even tell which is the correct viewing angle.

I guess the best thing I could do is to put a professional b&w photo right next to my own so I have a good reference?

Is anyone considering upgrading from a GH2 to the GH3? I bought a GH2 only a month ago ($700 w/ the 14-42 lens) and although after hacking it it'll be pretty comparable to the GH3 I'm still thinking about throwing a pre-order down. The price difference is quite significant but I'm almost envious enough of the official battery grip, 3.5mm mic input, dust/splash proof body, higher stock max bit rate, and numerous other improvements to not care. It releases on November 30th, how long is it likely to take before the price ($1,300 body only) drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom