• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
261 dollars to get my 50-200 f2.8 fixed. :(
Moral of the story dont let your lens fall out of your bag onto concrete.

teiresias

Well, it came in today!!

2n9kvmx.jpg

:D

Unfortunately I won't really have any time to mess with it for two weeks since I'm going out of town on Sunday and I won't be taking it with me (no bag yet - leaning toward a Domke F-6 - on top of still learning it). I need to find a good grip position for my left hand though, I'm currently at a loss for how to hold it on that side.

mrkgoo

teiresias said:
Well, it came in today!!

2n9kvmx.jpg

Unfortunately I won't really have any time to mess with it for two weeks since I'm going out of town on Sunday and I won't be taking it with me (no bag yet - leaning toward a Domke F-6 - on top of still learning it). I need to find a good grip position for my left hand though, I'm currently at a loss for how to hold it on that side.
Congrats!

Are you a left-hander?

teiresias

mrkgoo said:
Congrats!

Are you a left-hander?

No, right-handed, so I obviously know where my right hand goes, but I just can't figure out what to do with my left hand. I adjust the zoom obviously, but then I feel like I need to lay the zoom lens in my hand for steadiness, but my wrist is screwed up right now, so that's not exactly comfortable. I think once it's better that will be alright though.

I'm more wondering what happens when I put a smaller prime on it - like a 35mm or 50mm - that isn't long enough to just rest in the palm of my left hand.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
teiresias said:
I need to find a good grip position for my left hand though, I'm currently at a loss for how to hold it on that side.
Try having your left hand be palm side up.

Place the bottom of the camera on base of your palm, cushioned by the meaty parts of your hand.

Your thumb and forefinger will naturally curve up in a U-shape. Use that to adjust zoom and focus.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Try having your left hand be palm side up.

Place the bottom of the camera on base of your palm, cushioned by the meaty parts of your hand.

Your thumb and forefinger will naturally curve up in a U-shape. Use that to adjust zoom and focus.

Yup, I always cradle the camera and base of the lens (depending on how large it is) with my left hand palm up. There is good technique and bad technique, but whatever works for you best is the right one.

A hint: Don't 'press down' on the shutter, squeeze the camera. This can help prevent camera shake at low shutters. I've been refining my technique ever since I started, and I can achieve slightly slower shutterspeeds than recommended on a good day.

Also on this topic, how do you guys shoot portrait orientation? Right hand over head, or under? I used to shoot over, and never thought about it, until I saw an image somewhere that said the better technique is to shoo under, providing more support and less awkwardness. I switched, found this to be true and seldom shoot my old way.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrkgoo said:
Also on this topic, how do you guys shoot portrait orientation? Right hand over head, or under? I used to shoot over, and never thought about it, until I saw an image somewhere that said the better technique is to shoo under, providing more support and less awkwardness. I switched, found this to be true and seldom shoot my old way.

I shoot with my right hand on top (with the shutter button), left hand supporting the opposite side (or bottom when in Portrait orientation). Its still very awkward, especially with something as small as a Rebel.

A battery grip looks very appealing to me because of this.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
I shoot with my right hand on top (with the shutter button), left hand supporting the opposite side (or bottom when in Portrait orientation). Its still very awkward, especially with something as small as a Rebel.

A battery grip looks very appealing to me because of this.

Yeah, that's how I used to shoot. You should try shooting with your right hand on the bottom.

A grip would be nice, but I never liked the look of a 'square' camera. :lol Also, I don't like added weight, especially since I do mostly landscape orientation.

teiresias

Lord, the LCD on the back of this thing is gorgeous. Such a change from my Canon G9 LCD - though I still think that's a wonderful camera for a P&S, albeit a somewhat large one.

mrkgoo

teiresias said:
Lord, the LCD on the back of this thing is gorgeous. Such a change from my Canon G9 LCD - though I still think that's a wonderful camera for a P&S, albeit a somewhat large one.

What screen does the D90 have? the new 920,000 dots one?

Zyzyxxz

teiresias said:
Well, it came in today!!

2n9kvmx.jpg

Congrats on the purchase! I want one but if I did get it I would do body only, the kit lense doesn't seem that good.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Aaaaand, the D3s is here. New lens, too.

353_25466_D3S_24_70_front_l.jpg

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25466/D3S.html

$5,199.95

ISO performance: ISO 12800 as standard, expandable to ISO equivalent of 102400 (Hi 3)
Nikon FX-format CMOS image sensor with 12.1 effective megapixels
Improved D-Movie function including High-Sensitivity Movie mode and flicker reduction function
Nikon’s Integrated Dust Reduction System including Image Sensor Cleaning function
Incorporates Nikon’s original EXPEED digital image processing
Active D-Lighting with bracketing for up to 5 frames
Picture Control: Standard, Vivid, Neutral and Monochrome (Landscape and Portrait can be downloaded from Nikon website)
Quick response with approx. 0.12 seconds start-up time and approx. 0.04 seconds shutter-release time lag
9-frames-per-second shooting rate in FX format, 11 fps in DX crop (CIPA Guidelines)
Nikon’s original Scene Recognition System, utilizing 1,005-pixel RGB sensor, for more accurate autofocus, auto exposure, i-TTL flash control and auto white balance
Multi-CAM 3500FX AF sensor module featuring 51 AF points
Viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and approx. 0.7x magnification in FX format
Durable shutter unit proven by 300,000 cycles of testing on fully assembled camera
Intelligent power management that lets you shoot up to approx. 4,200 frames per charge (based on CIPA Standards)
Easy-to-access Live View modes with dedicated button
Quiet Shutter-release mode for nonintrusive shooting
High-definition (approx. 921k-dot), 170˚ viewing angle, 3-in. VGA LCD monitor with tempered glass

353_2190_AF-S-DX-Micro_NIKKOR-85mm-f35G-ED-VR_front.jpg

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon...AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-85mm-f%2F3.5G-ED-VR.html

Medium-telephoto 85mm Micro lens (picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 127.5mm in FX/35mm format)
Closest focusing distance of 0.286 m/0.9 ft. (1:1 life size)
The optical system featuring an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element is optimized for DX-format digital SLRs
Vibration Reduction (VR II) enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to four stops slower than would otherwise be possible
Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures fast, quiet AF operation
Two focus modes available — M/A and M
IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
The nine-blade rounded diaphragm opening gives out-of-focus elements a more natural appearance

captive

Instigator said:
I like the potential of it, but I didn't like my experience with the E-P1. Nice gadget, but I find it too big still. Very limited selection of lenses too (unless you want to use bulkier 4/3 lenses).

I'd rather stick with a small-ish DSLR with more lenses. Or something more compact like the LX3.
I'm curious as to what exactly you were expecting in the way of lenses? It's a brand new camera with a new mount that launched with two lenses. However, you can use all 4/3rds lenses with it.
And I dont think i've ever heard any of the non SHG Pro Oly lenses called "bulky" they are generally smaller in every respect to their canon and nikon counterparts. The 50-200 f2.8 is a full pound lighter than the canon equiv. Which I can handhold with my e30 all the way down to 1/100 shutter pretty consistently.

I think your going to be hard pressed to find a smaller DSLR than the 620 with IS built in.
620 + pancake is pocket-able.

captive said:
I'm curious as to what exactly you were expecting in the way of lenses? It's a brand new camera with a new mount that launched with two lenses. However, you can use all 4/3rds lenses with it.
And I dont think i've ever heard any of the non SHG Pro Oly lenses called "bulky" they are generally smaller in every respect to their canon and nikon counterparts. The 50-200 f2.8 is a full pound lighter than the canon equiv. Which I can handhold with my e30 all the way down to 1/100 shutter pretty consistently.

I think your going to be hard pressed to find a smaller DSLR than the 620 with IS built in.
620 + pancake is pocket-able.

First of all, I am not of those four-thirds haters. Quite the opposite. :D

Moreover, I am not a prime lens guy, yet it seems that, for the GF1 and E-P1 to make sense, these cameras need compact primes. It looks like exactly what excites people about those cameras.

On the other hand, I like fast zooms and I am willing to put up with a bit of bulk. The mid-range lens selection with Olympus is very appealing to me (12-60 and 50-200 in particular). but I wouldn't attach them to an E-P1. I'd prefer the balance and the full functionality of an E-620 or E-30 body for those lenses.

And no thanks on the 25mm pancake. Far from Olympus' finest lens!

teiresias

Zyzyxxz said:
Congrats on the purchase! I want one but if I did get it I would do body only, the kit lense doesn't seem that good.
B&H just put the D90 kit on sale for $994 - nearly $100 less than what I paid :lol oh well. That basically makes the kit lens only $100 given the body only price, but if you already have lenses you like the body only might still be worth it though I suspect you could probably sell the 18-105 kit lens for more than $100.

I've read good things about the kit lens though so it seems decent, but I'm honestly more interested in getting the 35mm f/1.8 prime and playing with that.

My new phone arrived!

sonyeric-c905a-att-closed_angle.jpg

How is this relevant you might ask?
sonyeric-c905a-att-hero_duo.jpg

Its my new backup camera!

"Boasting an impressive 8.1-megapixel camera and advanced features such as face detection, autofocus, xenon flash and geo-tagging,"

I plan on using it in those concert venues that actually enforce the retarded no camera policy.

captive

Instigator said:
First of all, I am not of those four-thirds haters. Quite the opposite. :D
I know your not. I was just curious what your reasoning was behind expecting more lenses.
I also think they need more lenses for M4/3, but it just came out, it takes time to develop lenses.
Moreover, I am not a prime lens guy, yet it seems that, for the GF1 and E-P1 to make sense, these cameras need compact primes. It looks like exactly what excites people about those cameras.

On the other hand, I like fast zooms and I am willing to put up with a bit of bulk. The mid-range lens selection with Olympus is very appealing to me (12-60 and 50-200 in particular). but I wouldn't attach them to an E-P1. I'd prefer the balance and the full functionality of an E-620 or E-30 body for those lenses.
I would attach them to an Ep1 or GF1 not only for the ridiculous factor, but because they are still great in the IQ department.
And no thanks on the 25mm pancake. Far from Olympus' finest lens!
No, its not.

Borman

I just want to send a big thanks to Futureman for the lens! Its an amazing little lens, especially for the price.

Used the new lens to take a picture of my old one, amazing what the f1.8 will do :p
IMG_0055-1.jpg

mrkgoo

Borman said:
I just want to send a big thanks to Futureman for the lens! Its an amazing little lens, especially for the price.

Used the new lens to take a picture of my old one, amazing what the f1.8 will do :p

That the one for $20? A steal! A must-have lens for any beginner. Futureman is a saint for for passing it on at such a good price.

BlueTsunami

Prime lust will corrupt you muahhahahahahahha

But seriously, enjoy the Depth of Field control and being able to shoot in lower light :D

borman said:
Any recommendations for a cheap-ish zoom lens for my Canon T1i? Cheap as in 200-300$.

EF-S 55-250 IS. It was handy when I was at the Treasure Island Music Fest yesterday.

mrkgoo said:
That the one for $20? A steal! A must-have lens for any beginner. Futureman is a saint for for passing it on at such a good price.

Wow, I wish I got in on that. I still use my kit lens...*slowly walks out of thread*

teiresias

So I've been reading some on different forums, and I've seen quite a bit of a discussion on how to store lenses and bodies. Basically, people debating keeping them in dedicated (and expensive as I know since I've procured some for work to store IC chips in) dry boxes or just sticking them in a drawer with a bunch of dessicant bags or small electric dehumidifiers. Does anyone here go through all of these measures when storing lenses and bodies? It seems like it all would be a tad bit excessive for a non-pro photographer.

BlueTsunami

teiresias said:
So I've been reading some on different forums, and I've seen quite a bit of a discussion on how to store lenses and bodies. Basically, people debating keeping them in dedicated (and expensive as I know since I've procured some for work to store IC chips in) dry boxes or just sticking them in a drawer with a bunch of dessicant bags or small electric dehumidifiers. Does anyone here go through all of these measures when storing lenses and bodies? It seems like it all would be a tad bit excessive for a non-pro photographer.

I put my camera on top of my PC, on the floor of my room or toss it on my bed if I'm really excited about a set of pictures (that I want to post process quickly). Maybe going through those measure squeezes some life out of the body near its end but I'm like... 5,000 to 10,000 shutter actuations in with my feeble Rebel XT and its still chugging away.

Zyzyxxz

teiresias said:
B&H just put the D90 kit on sale for $994 - nearly $100 less than what I paid :lol oh well. That basically makes the kit lens only $100 given the body only price, but if you already have lenses you like the body only might still be worth it though I suspect you could probably sell the 18-105 kit lens for more than $100.

I've read good things about the kit lens though so it seems decent, but I'm honestly more interested in getting the 35mm f/1.8 prime and playing with that.

Mine is finally coming in the mail tomorrow!

Can't wait to test it out with my D40!

mrkgoo

equap said:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19584

1d_markiv_586x225.jpg

icon_3inchlcdii_104x54.gif

Futureman said:
Canon 1D MarkIV info released at midnight EST here:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

!!!
Still keen for that 5DmkII, or thinking it won't drop in price? I know the 1D cameras aren't really in the same league, but a 1-year old camera in the face of two new cameras? How long did the 5DmkI hold its price? I guess you also have to keep in mind all the other full-frame competition out there now.

teiresias said:

I just throw my camera anywhere. Sometimes I keep it by my bed when I sleep. :p
Camera bodies are pretty tough - they will handle outdoors, so why not indoors? Well, unless your place is particularly damp or something, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep it covered from dust where possible.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
mrkgoo said:
Still keen for that 5DmkII, or thinking it won't drop in price? I know the 1D cameras aren't really in the same league, but a 1-year old camera in the face of two new cameras? How long did the 5DmkI hold its price? I guess you also have to keep in mind all the other full-frame competition out there now.
I can't really see it dropping, even with the 7D and new 1D4. It's still selling well and has a good price niche carved out for itself. I could see Canon sticking with the current price until they get the 5D3 out.

Futureman

mrkgoo said:

I'm definitely not getting a 1D IV, just thought it was exciting news to post.

I'm probably going to wait until January to get the 5DII. I'm in a studio lighting class right now and I'd rather not have any amount of time without a camera, as I'd have to sell my 5D and then purchase the 5DII. This will allow me to save a little more until January. I highly doubt there'll be a price drop anytime soon. Canon just announced they are releasing a 2nd firmware update for this thing in the first half of 2010 to add 24p/25p framerate options. With Canon adding value like this I don't see the price changing much... maybe down a few hundred sometime in 2010 but nothing worth waiting for.

I just signed up for Best Buy Reward Zone, hopefully I get a 10% off coupon soon which would net me ~$250 off (which would go straight to an 8 GB UDMA CF card and a 1 TB external HD for working with the huge video files from the 5DII).

golem

the video is pretty dang impressive

Not a single external light source was used / added. In other words I did not use a single flashlight, LightPanel, flood light - nothing. For one shot only I pulled out a silver reflector… just to say we did it really. And yes it worked (see the shot of the young girl.)

mrkgoo

XMonkey said:
I can't really see it dropping, even with the 7D and new 1D4. It's still selling well and has a good price niche carved out for itself. I could see Canon sticking with the current price until they get the 5D3 out.

Hmm. Possibly. True, the 1D and 7D are different beasts entirely, but the competition is much more stiff now. In the past year and a bit, Canon added two new lines to their DSLR range, filling gaps everywhere. The 5DmkII has already seen a drop of $100 in the past week I think (or atleast I heard it's now $2,599).

Anyway, as the megapixel wars draw to a close, a new battle (once in the background) comes into the spotlight - the ISO wars! We're seeing higher and higher iso capabilities as the processors improve. It has been a somewhat of a marketing potion for point and shoots (iso1600!), but they were always crap after iso400. It ink now, there might be a push to improve that and use it as a marketing point.

mrkgoo

Futureman said:

I'm probably going to wait until January to get the 5DII. I'm in a studio lighting class right now and I'd rather not have any amount of time without a camera, as I'd have to sell my 5D and then purchase the 5DII. This will allow me to save a little more until January. I highly doubt there'll be a price drop anytime soon. Canon just announced they are releasing a 2nd firmware update for this thing in the first half of 2010 to add 24p/25p framerate options. With Canon adding value like this I don't see the price changing much... maybe down a few hundred sometime in 2010 but nothing worth waiting for.

I just signed up for Best Buy Reward Zone, hopefully I get a 10% off coupon soon which would net me ~$250 off (which would go straight to an 8 GB UDMA CF card and a 1 TB external HD for working with the huge video files from the 5DII).

Yeah, I know - only the most richest of hardcore get into the 1D cameras (or professionals, of course).

That's what makes the 5D series so popular - it's actually within reach of us mere peons.

I'm hoping for a price drop, not because I plan on getting a 5DmkII. I settled for the 7D which was more my price ticket, and also meant I could still use my EF-S lenses - ironically, my main EF-S lens broke recently :/, not sure if I will have Canon repair it, as it has been the 6th time it has been sent in for service, and Canon have refused my wishes for trading it in or something. Anyway, I'm hoping for a price drop in the 5DmkII, because for some reasons, I really want you to get one more affordably.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futureman said:

I'm probably going to wait until January to get the 5DII. I'm in a studio lighting class right now and I'd rather not have any amount of time without a camera, as I'd have to sell my 5D and then purchase the 5DII. This will allow me to save a little more until January. I highly doubt there'll be a price drop anytime soon. Canon just announced they are releasing a 2nd firmware update for this thing in the first half of 2010 to add 24p/25p framerate options. With Canon adding value like this I don't see the price changing much... maybe down a few hundred sometime in 2010 but nothing worth waiting for..
Studio lighting class? Cool. What kind of lights are you guys using? Do you have any kind of textbook or anything? "Light Science and Magic", or something?

I never took a studio lighting class so I'm kinda curious as to how people formally learn this stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrkgoo said:
Hmm. Possibly. True, the 1D and 7D are different beasts entirely, but the competition is much more stiff now. In the past year and a bit, Canon added two new lines to their DSLR range, filling gaps everywhere. The 5DmkII has already seen a drop of $100 in the past week I think (or atleast I heard it's now $2,599).

Anyway, as the megapixel wars draw to a close, a new battle (once in the background) comes into the spotlight - the ISO wars! We're seeing higher and higher iso capabilities as the processors improve. It has been a somewhat of a marketing potion for point and shoots (iso1600!), but they were always crap after iso400. It ink now, there might be a push to improve that and use it as a marketing point.

5DII prices are just natural progression you see with other cameras, as stock levels build up and demand levels off.

5DII is really a semi-pro studio camera, and the 7D is the equivalent action sports.

1DMKIV is the pro action camera, so expect a 1DsMKIV soon as the pro studio camera.

It actually improves clarity and separation in the Canon range to have the 7D. I'd personally prefer the 1.6x and fps over the larger sensor in the 5D, so the 7D is more for me, but previously there was no 'semi pro' camera catering to me.

I wonder how that 1D fares with high ISO? Smaller sensor than the 5D, but larger than the 7D, and lower megapixels than both. It is crazy that we're looking at 12800 standard ISO which is crazy compared to film days

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrklaw said:
I wonder how that 1D fares with high ISO? Smaller sensor than the 5D, but larger than the 7D, and lower megapixels than both. It is crazy that we're looking at 12800 standard ISO which is crazy compared to film days
The samples on Canon's site look pretty good so far.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dm4/

But like the D3s and all other cameras, the shots on the company's website are always nice. I want to see some samples from some other reviewers.

teiresias

N2_ said:
finally got one
4028783656_60348bd6f8.jpg

Mine came in last week, but only like one day before I flew down to Florida, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it (didn't bring the camera because I don't have a good bag for carrying it around yet, much less packing it on an airplane).

I like it, and the 1.8 is great, but from the few test shots I took I know I'm going to have to be more conscious of how I'm holding the camera and how I steady it since I definitely could feel the lack of VR in some of the shots (granted these were really dark test shots, probably no conditions I'd regularly be photographing in unless I took it into a really dark bar or restaurant, which is possible I guess, just not the normal use case).

Futureman

Rentahamster said:
Studio lighting class? Cool. What kind of lights are you guys using? Do you have any kind of textbook or anything? "Light Science and Magic", or something?

I never took a studio lighting class so I'm kinda curious as to how people formally learn this stuff.

We have a Calumet pack and heads (here's the pack: http://www.4thtimearound.com/photos/caly.jpg), a White Lightning kit (two monoblocks), and another set-up that I haven't used (pack and head like the Calumet). Honestly though I'm trying to use my stuff as much as possible (Alien Bee unit and a Nikon speedlight) as it's what I have and what I'll be using after the class.

The piece of equipment that I REALLY like is the $5,000 printer my school has. Provide your own paper and you can make 17x22 prints for ~$2.50 (just gotta pay for the ink).

I'm in Studio Lighting 2 right now and we have no text book. 1 didn't have anything required either, but our professor suggested a few books. I just recently read McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries" which is great, and "Light Science and Magic" is on my to-read list.

My school is a small, local film/photo school and the tuition for the class is only $400. I'd definitely look into a class or workshop if you are interested in learning about studio lighting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futureman said:
We have a Calumet pack and heads (here's the pack: http://www.4thtimearound.com/photos/caly.jpg), a White Lightning kit (two monoblocks), and another set-up that I haven't used (pack and head like the Calumet). Honestly though I'm trying to use my stuff as much as possible (Alien Bee unit and a Nikon speedlight) as it's what I have and what I'll be using after the class.

The piece of equipment that I REALLY like is the $5,000 printer my school has. Provide your own paper and you can make 17x22 prints for ~$2.50 (just gotta pay for the ink).

I'm in Studio Lighting 2 right now and we have no text book. 1 didn't have anything required either, but our professor suggested a few books. I just recently read McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries" which is great, and "Light Science and Magic" is on my to-read list.

My school is a small, local film/photo school and the tuition for the class is only $400. I'd definitely look into a class or workshop if you are interested in learning about studio lighting.
Wow, $400, that's not too bad. What I meant was that I've learned about studio lighting, just not in a classroom setting. I'd always wondered if I should look at my local community college or something to see if I should take a class and whether that would help. I just gotta find the time.

I have a set of AlienBees too and think they're really great. I don't have much experience with other brands, though. Do you see any significant advantages the more expensive strobes have over the AlienBees, particularly in color temperature variability due to power level changes?

As for "Light Science and Magic", I highly recommend it. I first heard of that book over at the Strobist website. It's fairly cheap and packed full of all kinds of great info. I'd say it's been the most helpful book I've read so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom