• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Haha, I can physically open it. I just can't use it yet because I'm waiting to hear on this photo job that would give me enough money to pay for it. I like my chances, but it's no fun waiting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
XMonkey said:
Haha, I can physically open it. I just can't use it yet because I'm waiting to hear on this photo job that would give me enough money to pay for it. I like my chances, but it's no fun waiting.
So if you don't get the job, you gotta return it?

mrkgoo

XMonkey said:

Not to break your resolve, but the 7D is so awesome. It has such a great feature set that even higher end SLRs in the Canon range don't have. Sure, it doesn't have some super-pro features, but what it has is really great for the price.

Hopefully you do get the job, open it and we can be 7D buddies.

And you can show me how it's done ...:p

Futureman

Rentahamster said:
Wow, $400, that's not too bad. What I meant was that I've learned about studio lighting, just not in a classroom setting. I'd always wondered if I should look at my local community college or something to see if I should take a class and whether that would help. I just gotta find the time.

I have a set of AlienBees too and think they're really great. I don't have much experience with other brands, though. Do you see any significant advantages the more expensive strobes have over the AlienBees, particularly in color temperature variability due to power level changes?

As for "Light Science and Magic", I highly recommend it. I first heard of that book over at the Strobist website. It's fairly cheap and packed full of all kinds of great info. I'd say it's been the most helpful book I've read so far.

I've read about the power level color shifts, but honestly I don't think I know enough about lighting or do work that demands pinpoint color accuracy to even notice. Have you noticed the shifts at all? Apparently his new line coming out, the Einstein, does away with these shifts. Maybe I'll get one of these in the future as all I have right now is on AB800. I also just got a PCB high-output beauty dish and the 40 degree grid. Those come in tomorrow, excited to try them out.

I guess the reason you'd go with a more expensive brand is higher light output, no color shifts (though PCB claims many other brands suffer from this, even expensive ones), better/more durable construction, and compatibility with more/better modifiers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futureman said:
I've read about the power level color shifts, but honestly I don't think I know enough about lighting or do work that demands pinpoint color accuracy to even notice. Have you noticed the shifts at all?
Yeah, I've noticed the shifts. It's not terrible or anything - hardly noticeable. It's enough, however, to make me reshoot a gray card if I change the power levels a significant amount.
Futureman said:
I also just got a PCB high-output beauty dish and the 40 degree grid. Those come in tomorrow, excited to try them out.
The shots I've seen on flickr using the beauty dish look pretty good. I myself have the large octobox. Totally awesome. I don't have to bust out 5 speedlights to get the same look anymore.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Rentahamster said:
So if you don't get the job, you gotta return it?
Pretty much :( I've got it this early because I don't know how hard it will be to find one in the coming weeks and as soon as I hear on the job I want to be able to get familiar with it (the AF in particular) and not spend time looking for one.

mrkgoo said:
Not to break your resolve, but the 7D is so awesome. It has such a great feature set that even higher end SLRs in the Canon range don't have. Sure, it doesn't have some super-pro features, but what it has is really great for the price.

Hopefully you do get the job, open it and we can be 7D buddies.

And you can show me how it's done ...:p
I've basically read nothing but user reviews, information, and looked at sample photos for the past week. I've got my heart set on it now so I'd hate to have to give it back. If it doesn't work out I'll probably just get a used 40D/50D with some money I've got saved up.

I don't know about showing you how it's done, but I definitely would have more motivation to get out and shoot. My 300D has only got me so far.

On a side-note, does anyone have the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro? I haven't dabbled in macro photography, I'm more of a landscape/architecture shooter (if only the 5D2 wasn't so much...) but I'm blown away by the sharpness and some of the photos I've seen and I think I would actually use it for landscapes as much as I would shooting macros.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Hey guys, I was informed that B&H Photo may give away a D3s or 1DMKIV to fans of their Facebook profile (camera is dependent on winers preference). Here's the link

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Y...York-NY/BH-Photo-and-Video/43609830775?v=wall

I joined that shit quick as shit!

Holy crap! I wish I used facebook. Anyway, here's hoping you win. You would blow my mind with what you'd do with a $5,000 camera. Heck, you blow my mind now.

I've basically read nothing but user reviews, information, and looked at sample photos for the past week. I've got my heart set on it now so I'd hate to have to give it back. If it doesn't work out I'll probably just get a used 40D/50D with some money I've got saved up.

I don't know about showing you how it's done, but I definitely would have more motivation to get out and shoot. My 300D has only got me so far.

On a side-note, does anyone have the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro? I haven't dabbled in macro photography, I'm more of a landscape/architecture shooter (if only the 5D2 wasn't so much...) but I'm blown away by the sharpness and some of the photos I've seen and I think I would actually use it for landscapes as much as I would shooting macros.

I'm crossing my fingers for you. It's such a great camera. It possibly has slightly higher noise at 100%, but with twice as many pixels, a lot of that is smoothed out. I think like the 5D, it will be a milestone camera for years to come. A lot of what it can do is made capable by the dual processors. Heck, I believe it even has its own processor for the autofocus, but I could be wrong on that.

I think a few people have that lens. If you're sticking with crop, another alternative is the 60mm f/2.8, which makes for a great walkaround lens in addition. The 100 would make an excellent portraiture lens too.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
aidan said:
Only open for Americans?

Not exactly sure. I looked at their actual website and they ship Internationally and they didn't post any stipulations about who could win on Facebook (basically calling everyone to follow them on Facebook). So I would think anyone could be able to win.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
mrkgoo said:
I'm crossing my fingers for you. It's such a great camera. It possibly has slightly higher noise at 100%, but with twice as many pixels, a lot of that is smoothed out. I think like the 5D, it will be a milestone camera for years to come. A lot of what it can do is made capable by the dual processors. Heck, I believe it even has its own processor for the autofocus, but I could be wrong on that.

I think a few people have that lens. If you're sticking with crop, another alternative is the 60mm f/2.8, which makes for a great walkaround lens in addition. The 100 would make an excellent portraiture lens too.
Thanks :D I know what you mean about the 7D. When it was first announced I wasn't too keen on it, mainly because of the crop sensor (1.3x would have been so nice), but there's so many well-rounded features and improvements that it really seems like quite a steal.

I'll look into the 60mm, although I'd rather stick to EF lenses just because I'll be going FF at some point in the future. Guess I could always resell it, though.

edit - I should add I definitely would prefer the 60mm on a crop, as I'm a little worried the 100mm is gonna be a bit long.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
aidan said:
Only open for Americans?

Go for it, and if you win I'll go pick it up for you, being only a 30 minute minute train ride or so from them. I'll then mail it to you. I promise. Really. :p

Zyzyxxz

Wow a D3s giveaway?! I became a fan and if I do win I would probably sell it and buy a D90 and a Panasonic GF-1. I don't see the need for a full-frame for me.

Anyway I just got my Nikon DX 35mm F1.8 today!

The bokeh on this thing is so much superior to the kit lense for my D40 and it is sharp as hell.

Here are some sample shots.

4031438490_319b0e853c_b.jpg

4030682481_5d0940afa9_b.jpg

4031437584_ec442b92f4_b.jpg

This was all I really had time to take pictures of since I was at work peeling snow peas at the time.

nib95

Banned
Packing a new 5D Mk II with a 24-70L 2.8 lens, along with a 50mm 1.4 prime, a 430EX II speedlite flash and a Giottos tripod!

Taken with my mobile.

5DMkII.jpg

Taken with the new camera.

HDr1.jpg

10-1.jpg

c1bef97a-1.jpg

2-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

zombi

Futureman said:
I guess the reason you'd go with a more expensive brand is higher light output, no color shifts (though PCB claims many other brands suffer from this, even expensive ones), better/more durable construction, and compatibility with more/better modifiers.
Even more importantly, depending on what you do, speed of the flash. Portrait photography, if youre doing it for headshots and the like will be fine with whatever lights. High speed, action, etc, (stuff I LOVE) needs quicker strobes at least 2000th of a second. There really isnt a bad place to start. Most people seem to love AB

XMonkey said:

Canon has two 100mm 2.8 macros, one just came out with IS and L designation, that costs about $400 more than the other one. I'm trying to decide if the new one is worth the price premium or not.

mrkgoo

XMonkey said:
Thanks :D I know what you mean about the 7D. When it was first announced I wasn't too keen on it, mainly because of the crop sensor (1.3x would have been so nice), but there's so many well-rounded features and improvements that it really seems like quite a steal.

I'll look into the 60mm, although I'd rather stick to EF lenses just because I'll be going FF at some point in the future. Guess I could always resell it, though.

edit - I should add I definitely would prefer the 60mm on a crop, as I'm a little worried the 100mm is gonna be a bit long.

It really depends on how you shoot. 100mm gives yo more working distance to achieve 1:1 (you don't have to be right up against the lens). 60 vs. 100 is really up to you in regards to non-macro uses.

Personally, I originally bought the 60mm as a semi-replacement for a 50mm. It was short enough to use indoors, but I wanted to be able to take images focussing closer, but not necessarily to do macro images. I love this lens.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
chaostrophy said:
Canon has two 100mm 2.8 macros, one just came out with IS and L designation, that costs about $400 more than the other one. I'm trying to decide if the new one is worth the price premium or not.
Ya I've read about the new one and saw some photos, but I don't think it's really worth the price premium, at least image quality-wise. The IS is nice, but I figure most of my actual macro stuff would take place on a tripod and if I used it for street portraits or landscapes I wouldn't really need it. I could always bump the ISO a bit to get some extra shutter speed, it's not too bad with the 7D.

mrkgoo,

Good point about the 1:1. The further I could get from the subject for macros, the more things I could potentially shoot. Have you shot anything with the 7D and 60mm macro, yet?

mrkgoo

XMonkey said:
Ya I've read about the new one and saw some photos, but I don't think it's really worth the price premium, at least image quality-wise. The IS is nice, but I figure most of my actual macro stuff would take place on a tripod and if I used it for street portraits or landscapes I wouldn't really need it. I could always bump the ISO a bit to get some extra shutter speed, it's not too bad with the 7D.

mrkgoo,

Good point about the 1:1. The further I could get from the subject for macros, the more things I could potentially shoot. Have you shot anything with the 7D and 60mm macro, yet?

Yeah, some of my first shots were with the 60mm. These were originally posted in the Q4 thread, but I never pass up a chance to repost ;)

mrkgoo said:
Fooling about with my 7D some more:

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/125s, iso1600.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/125s, iso1600.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/320s, iso200.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/5.6, 1/100s, iso400.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/125s, iso800.

EF-S 60mm Macro, f5.6, 1/125s, iso1600.

Just reading about the Carl Zeiss canon mounts released last year. I think Forsete bought one? Namely, the 50 or 85mm f/1.4.

What do people think of them? BLueTsunami?

nib95: That's some serious gear in one go!

Also wanted to mention the Canon Fall rebates are go!:

http://www.photoprice.ca/us-rebates/

SnakeXs

Rentahamster said:
ISO 102,400

I said gawd-damn.

I'll echo that sentiment... I'd wager that black and whites would be totally usable, especially if you avoid any stretches of a singular tone and underexposing.

1:1 on the what I think are 12,800 ISO images (he's got some strange ISO number labels) look better than my D80 does at 800. ;_;

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
I'll echo that sentiment... I'd wager that black and whites would be totally usable, especially if you avoid any stretches of a singular tone and underexposing.

1:1 on the what I think are 12,800 ISO images (he's got some strange ISO number labels) look better than my D80 does at 800. ;_;

It is indeed pretty amazing that it still retains so much detail. I wonder how the 1DmkIV will stack up? As I understand, Canon still has a bit of a way to go to match Nikons high ISO. That said there are of course plenty other features to be wow at, like the video.

tomjr

I own the Canon 100 2.8 macro. Here's a shot taken with my 5D. It's a great lens. I think adding IS is a good idea, but I don't feel any need to get the update.

_MG_8724.jpg

_MG_8724f.jpg

100% crop

SnakeXs

mrkgoo said:
It is indeed pretty amazing that it still retains so much detail. I wonder how the 1DmkIV will stack up? As I understand, Canon still has a bit of a way to go to match Nikons high ISO. That said there are of course plenty other features to be wow at, like the video.

Even if that weren't true isn't that higher megapixels, and a smaller sensor? Not that I'm super familiar with Canon's zany model line up and naming schema. :p

So I really really reaaaally want the 7D, how do you guys pay for this kinda stuff? I'm still a lowly college student, but I just got another job so I should have some spare cash saving up...but that's too farrr. Is there anything I can do?

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
Even if that weren't true isn't that higher megapixels, and a smaller sensor? Not that I'm super familiar with Canon's zany model line up and naming schema. :p

Yeah, I believe so. It's 16MP on an APS-H. Of course, for a more true comparison, you'd downscale the 16MP to 12mp to judge noise then. Not that that would be enough to compete, though.

Do Nikon ever market their processors as many other camera manufacturers do now?

I wonder if its the dual processors allowing much higher bandwidth in calculations that allow HD processing (with high 14-bit colour - obviously P&S can do it), and such high MP counts? Keep in mind it has to process this stuff with all the other bells and whistles too.

mrkgoo

killertofu said:
So I really really reaaaally want the 7D, how do you guys pay for this kinda stuff? I'm still a lowly college student, but I just got another job so I should have some spare cash saving up...but that's too farrr. Is there anything I can do?

No debt, employed (but don't earn that much), no dependents, minimal cost of living (no car), don't drink or smoke, and live away from my girlfriend at the moment. I have no consoles with me, so pretty much all disposable income can go towards this stuff. I DO spend a bit much, though.

mrkgoo said:
No debt, employed (but don't earn that much), no dependents, minimal cost of living (no car), don't drink or smoke, and live away from my girlfriend at the moment. I have no consoles with me, so pretty much all disposable income can go towards this stuff. I DO spend a bit much, though.
So... you just saved up? Or did monthly payments? I'm new at these things :lol

Razorwind

I currently hold a Panasonic Lx-3 and the experience has been good.

Wide angle and very sharp pictures.

The issues I have are the very low optical zoom and shoddy night performance.

I been thinking to get a micro 4 thirds, a regular slr is just too bulky.

Gf1 looks good, but I feel I should wait for the format to mature first.

Should i just get a third party lens? Are four thirds cameras worth it? Or should I just bear the bulk and get a 500d?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Razorwind said:
I currently hold a Panasonic Lx-3 and the experience has been good.

Wide angle and very sharp pictures.

The issues I have are the very low optical zoom and shoddy night performance.

I been thinking to get a micro 4 thirds, a regular slr is just too bulky.

Gf1 looks good, but I feel I should wait for the format to mature first.

Should i just get a third party lens? Are four thirds cameras worth it? Or should I just bear the bulk and get a 500d?
4/3rds lenses are top quality.

Great lenses > great cameras.
Lenses last a lifetime, a great camera gets surpassed by the new hotness in a matter of a few years. And its features typically get passed down to less expensive cameras pretty quickly.

teiresias

killertofu said:
So... you just saved up? Or did monthly payments? I'm new at these things :lol

Is this a serious question? Can people actually make it to college without even cursory knowledge of finance and stuff nowadays?

For the love of all that is holy DO NOT finance a damn DSLR purchase!! Sure, put it on a credit card to get the points and then pay it off, but don't walk into Best Buy and do some ridiculous financing scheme, that would be ridiculous.

Note, this goes for consumer camera purchases - buying a new camera or even a new slew of cameras as part of business is another story.

Hi guys,

I am deciding between 4 camera, but in 2 different ranges:

Canon 450D vs Nikon D60

or

Canon 500D vs Nikon D90

I've been told, and used the D90, so I am liking that a lot. But I am going to be buying my first DSLR, after my Canon IXUS 70 let me down on holiday. I used the PnS camera a lot and it did good shots, but for long canal shots it was really lacking in terms of detail in distance. So i showed the pics to a few photographer friends of mine, and they suggested I take the step to a DSLR. One recommended the D60, the other the D90; but I've always liked my Canons!

I will be doing the following type of shots:

-Holidays (Towns with amazing architecture, scenery, etc)
-Sports (Football &cricket)
-People (At anime/game conventions, work parties, weddings, etc)
-"wildlife" so insects, gardens, fish
-Fashion, my shoe collections etc

That's like all the info I can give for now. The other info I need is about lenses, the ones I had been suggested are 18-55mm (standard) and 50mm f/1.8f, I've seen this lense in action and just love the effect it can give

So if anyone can give me some suggestions, please do!

cbox

Got my 7d :D

LOVE IT SO MUCH! I only have one lens so far other than the two that came with my xti a while back. I took a shot with my 50mm 1.8 at f4 and holy shit... so damn crisp for a $130 lens :lol

I'm thinking of a sigma 24-70, any thoughts? I'd like a really good walk around lens as I believe i'll be starting some wedding photoshoots in the near future.

noah111

Still Alive
Just wondering, but how easy (or obvious?) is it to be recording video using a Canon 5D Mk II while having it strapped onto your neck?

I'd just love to go walk around with it on my neck recording without anyone realizing it.

Sentry said:
Just wondering, but how easy (or obvious?) is it to be recording video using a Canon 5D Mk II while having it strapped onto your neck?

I'd just love to go walk around with it on my neck recording without anyone realizing it.

Not exactly an inconspicuous piece of hardware in any case.

Borman

Here's a question for you guys : Could you give any tips on how to focus on my black cat? Its a strange question, I know, but auto focus just won't work on his fur, and even manual focus can be difficult to get dialed in just right. Thanks :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
teiresias said:
Is this a serious question? Can people actually make it to college without even cursory knowledge of finance and stuff nowadays?
Where are they supposed to learn it? I went to private college prep school and no where were we taught anything that has to do with real life.
I imagine its probably much worse in public schools.

mrkgoo

captive said:
Where are they supposed to learn it? I went to private college prep school and no where were we taught anything that has to do with real life.
I imagine its probably much worse in public schools.

True, there's not much regarding teaching 'real life' skills, but there is just common sense as you get older.

killertofu: Don't finance something in a hobby. It's better to save up unless you really NEED it for something (like a job). If it's just an upgrade, it's better to save, imo. If it takes a while, then maybe it will drop in price by that time, or you might keep an eye on it and pick it up during a sale. Financing normally means you end up paying more on interest.

For the record, I sort of saved, I guess. My point was I have money saved up, because I don't really spend it on anything else that isn't me surviving. It was announced, I never planned on getting it (no preorder), but the hype during release had me walking into a store on Day 1, and they had only 1, so I nabbed it.

Borman said:
Here's a question for you guys : Could you give any tips on how to focus on my black cat? Its a strange question, I know, but auto focus just won't work on his fur, and even manual focus can be difficult to get dialed in just right. Thanks :)

The AF system needs lines of high contrast to focus on. Things that are all dark or all bright will be impossible. There's not much you can do except come up with techniques that sidestep having to do it - like focus on something at a similar distance and recompose (obviously tough on a moving cat, or when using a very wide aperture). I suggest, focusing on the eyes, anyway. If you're not, try using a single AF point so you can control the AF a bit better. Maybe BlueTsunami has some tips on manual focussing.

Sentry said:

You'd be better off finding a compact digicam with video recording and a neck strap to do that. 5DII's large sensor means its depth of field is very limited, chances are whoever you're trying to film won't be in focus.

mrkgoo

Sentry said:

A lot of people are falling in love with the idea of video on an SLR. HD, gorgeous lenses and so on, but if you have no idea about videography, it's just like moving from a P&S to a fully manual SLR. It can do what you want, but requires a lot of practice and a lot more than just pressing record.

For one, it does not have any auto focus. Sure, you can press the AF button for contrast focus (live view focus), but that is slow. You have to manual control your focus, and if you are using a wide aperture, that is a tough job to control what is in focus.

Another is no steady cam ability. Everything will be shaky cam.

And you will NEED a proper external mic. The mic is positioned not eh fro of the camera and will pick up every focus turn, zoom, and IS of the lens.

So in other news, with the Canon rebates active, I feel likes spending money. Not much, because I've spent a ton recently, but is it useful for me to get into Flash Photography? Prior to this, I've been a kind of ambient light guy, but kind of moving away from my horrible 17-55 IS 2.8 (so awesome for available light, but feels too fragile to me), I was considering more flash stuff. Maybe I'll practice with the built-in for a bit. But overall - looking at the 430exII.

Anyone here extensively use flash in their photography?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrkgoo said:
Just reading about the Carl Zeiss canon mounts released last year. I think Forsete bought one? Namely, the 50 or 85mm f/1.4.

What do people think of them? BLueTsunami?

I think Forsete bought the ZA lens (which is the Sony Alpha Mount) Carl Zeiss Zoom lens (forget the focal length 24-70mm?). Sony has actual business dealing with Carl Zeiss where they allow Zeiss lenses on their system with Auto Focus (instead of having to reverse engineer things, I believe).

Zeiss lenses (from what I've seen and I've been obsessive about looking for certain examples) are very good. They are expensive and purely manual focusing lenses though. The thing about dedicated Manual Focusing lenses though is that the focus ring has a lot of throw (or a lot of spin) from close focus to Infinity. This allows for very exact focusing (as apposed to lenses with Auto Focus where more torque is needed for the motor).

The exterior of most of their lenses (especially the new primes) are made of brass. Very high quality.

Now the optical quality is subjective in areas. I've found that a lot of their primes have a very neutral tonality. They also have very high micro contrast (which makes textures and objects in an image pop). They are also very comparable to Canon's "L" lenses (very rich colors, sharp wide open, extremely sharp stopped down). Bokeh is said to be harsh by some but it depends on the lenses (and Zeiss lenses tend to provide definition to objects Out of Focus thats sort of pleasant but not jittery).

I'm personally looking at the ZE (Canon Mount) 28mm f/2 lens they just announced (which was already out for Pentax and Nikon). I need a good wide prime and this one just looks soooo good. It has all the Zeiss characteristics and its optimized for Minimum Focus Distance and Infinity (so I can use it as a closeup lens and a landscape). Very versatile.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
So in other news, with the Canon rebates active, I feel likes spending money. Not much, because I've spent a ton recently, but is it useful for me to get into Flash Photography? Prior to this, I've been a kind of ambient light guy, but kind of moving away from my horrible 17-55 IS 2.8 (so awesome for available light, but feels too fragile to me), I was considering more flash stuff. Maybe I'll practice with the built-in for a bit. But overall - looking at the 430exII.

Anyone here extensively use flash in their photography?
Yes. Lots. Can't do indoor photography properly without a good flash.

I never tried the 430s, but the 580exII's are really good. Nice power and recycle time. Doesn't overheat like the newer Nikon SB900s. It's a bit expensive though.

To casual users, the 430 flash is fine, but what I recommend to students and enthusiasts is this $130 manual flash.

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12311.html
Info here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/03/manual-flashes-two-debuts-and-adoption.html

The built in optical slave is great, and it has all the connections you need to do off camera radio wireless lighting.

If you really want to learn the ins and outs of flash photography, going manual is a good way.

It won't be easy, though.

mrkgoo said:
Maybe I'll practice with the built-in for a bit.

Bounced flash when feasible looks many times better than direct flash. Can't bounce with the built in flash.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
I think Forsete bought the ZA lens (which is the Sony Alpha Mount) Carl Zeiss Zoom lens (forget the focal length 24-70mm?). Sony has actual business dealing with Carl Zeiss where they allow Zeiss lenses on their system with Auto Focus (instead of having to reverse engineer things, I believe).

Zeiss lenses (from what I've seen and I've been obsessive about looking for certain examples) are very good. They are expensive and purely manual focusing lenses though. The thing about dedicated Manual Focusing lenses though is that the focus ring has a lot of throw (or a lot of spin) from close focus to Infinity. This allows for very exact focusing (as apposed to lenses with Auto Focus where more torque is needed for the motor).

The exterior of most of their lenses (especially the new primes) are made of brass. Very high quality.

Now the optical quality is subjective in areas. I've found that a lot of their primes have a very neutral tonality. They also have very high micro contrast (which makes textures and objects in an image pop). They are also very comparable to Canon's "L" lenses (very rich colors, sharp wide open, extremely sharp stopped down). Bokeh is said to be harsh by some but it depends on the lenses (and Zeiss lenses tend to provide definition to objects Out of Focus thats sort of pleasant but not jittery).

I'm personally looking at the ZE (Canon Mount) 28mm f/2 lens they just announced (which was already out for Pentax and Nikon). I need a good wide prime and this one just looks soooo good. It has all the Zeiss characteristics and its optimized for Minimum Focus Distance and Infinity (so I can use it as a closeup lens and a landscape). Very versatile.

Thanks for the overview!

I really like my 85mm f/1.8, but kind of want something a bit more 'robust', but don't want to snag for the 1.2L. I'll probably end up just messing about with my 85mm f1.8, but wanted to know what was out there. I understand the EF Zeiss lenses will still give "AF confirmation", which I take to mean it will let you know when it is in focus by beeping/lighting up in the viewfinder. I might try manual focusing with all the af-points on. It seems the 7D is ideal for this, with a large array of af points.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Yes. Lots. Can't do indoor photography properly without a good flash.

I never tried the 430s, but the 580exII's are really good. Nice power and recycle time. Doesn't overheat like the newer Nikon SB900s. It's a bit expensive though.

To casual users, the 430 flash is fine, but what I recommend to students and enthusiasts is this $130 manual flash.

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12311.html
Info here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/03/manual-flashes-two-debuts-and-adoption.html

The built in optical slave is great, and it has all the connections you need to do off camera radio wireless lighting.

If you really want to learn the ins and outs of flash photography, going manual is a good way.

It won't be easy, though.

Bounced flash when feasible looks many times better than direct flash. Can't bounce with the built in flash.

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm. So slave is where you have a flash off the shoe, right? Do you normally hold it, or place it somewhere? I understand the 7D can act as a master, so I was wondering if I needed 'compatible' flashes. All this stuff is totally foreign to me! BUt I have some links - might go do some reading.

Doytch

Zyzyxxz, when you get a chance could you post how it does at night time? I'm trying to choose between getting a 55-200mm zoom lens or that 35mm prime, and if I'd be able to take night shots (with some light from street signs/etc) sans tripod, that'd be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom