• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Any suggestions on a consumer lens with high zoom in & out and preferrably a low aperture so I could get those cool shots with über bokeh? I have a Nikon D5100.

Doesn't exist. Fast zooms are expeeeeeensive and even then they're still quite slow.

Your best bet (for a cheap lens) would be a long and fairly fast old zoom like a 70-200 f4-ish. Tons of them were made in the 80s, but pretty much none of them will autofocus on your camera. If you want AF (and better image quality) I think the rather slow (5.6 at the longest) 55-200 and 55-300 would be your best bet. They still sort of blur the background if you get close enough.
Nik55200_gall3.jpg

Long lenses compress the background (so it looks blurrier even if it is quite detailed like the above) and make it easier to fill the frame. The latter is important for the background blur.

Doesn't exist. Fast zooms are expeeeeeensive and even then they're still quite slow.

Your best bet (for a cheap lens) would be a long and fairly fast old zoom like a 70-200 f4-ish. Tons of them were made in the 80s, but pretty much none of them will autofocus on your camera. If you want AF (and better image quality) I think the rather slow (5.6 at the longest) 55-200 and 55-300 would be your best bet. They still sort of blur the background if you get close enough.
Nik55200_gall3.jpg

Long lenses compress the background (so it looks blurrier even if it is quite detailed like the above) and make it easier to fill the frame. The latter is important for the background blur.

Thanks for the detailed response! I actually have a 18-55 and a 70-200(300?) but my dad is tired of switching them back and forth. I'll inform him of the bad news.

Ty4on

Thanks for the detailed response! I actually have a 18-55 and a 70-200(300?) but my dad is tired of switching them back and forth. I'll inform him of the bad news.

Most super zooms (like 18-300mm) lenses have the same aperture (f5.6) at the long end. f6.3 is a little slower and seen in some.

They can be a bit pricy though and I don't know which ones are the best value.

Most super zooms (like 18-300mm) lenses have the same aperture (f5.6) at the long end. f6.3 is a little slower and seen in some.

They can be a bit pricy though and I don't know which ones are the best value.

Alright. Its not an immediate necessity but I'll keep my eye out if anything new comes out of something. Thanks again!

Radec

I use a X100s and I love it most of the time. There are situations where I would like to have a camera with interchangeable lenses (and a camera that my gf would be able to use, she doesn't get along with the X100s).

So I'm thinking about getting a Nikon D3200, just because the body can be found really cheap. And I would buy probably buy a 50mm 1.8 with it.

What would I be missing with this entry level model? The sensor seems to be quite good? Better to look out for a used 5200?

check its comparison

also get the 50mm 1.8G so you can get auto focus.

1.8D won't on D5300 and below.

check its comparison

also get the 50mm 1.8G so you can get auto focus.

1.8D won't on D5300 and below.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I would definitely get the G version.

I'd say get the 35mm 1.8G instead, on APS-C I found the 50mm to be a bit limiting, depending on your shooting conditions.

Definitely, but I imagine the 50mm would make a good portrait lens on APS-C. That's something I miss with my x100s.

FStop7

Banned
You know what this thread needs? It needs bag posts. I want to see your camera bags. The bags themselves, and how you organize the contents thereof. Right now I am carrying a Domke FX-5B in olive drab. I like it a lot because it's small and low profile, but unfortunately I'm already running out of room...

I'm going to try the E-M1 body before bailing on Olympus and m4/3. It will be fantastic to have back button focus back, which was one of my main reasons for wanting to return to Canon. The ad-hoc wifi stuff is neat too, but not sure how much of that I'll use.

Are you sure only the E-M1 is the only Micro 4/3 camera that can focus using a back button? I thought you could adjust the AF/AE function to be AF only on any micro 4/3 Olympus camera.

Wreav

Banned
Are you sure only the E-M1 is the only Micro 4/3 camera that can focus using a back button? I thought you could adjust the AF/AE function to be AF only on any micro 4/3 Olympus camera.

On the E-M5, which I currently have, the available button to map it to is impossibly small for my big thumb to hit, as it's both tiny and right next to the playback button.

The E-M1 moved that Fn-1 button out to the far right edge all by itself for easy thumbing.

RuGalz

You know what this thread needs? It needs bag posts. I want to see your camera bags. The bags themselves, and how you organize the contents thereof. Right now I am carrying a Domke FX-5B in olive drab. I like it a lot because it's small and low profile, but unfortunately I'm already running out of room...

I used to have that bag but wanted something less velcro-y and just needed slightly more room. So I swapped to Acme Made Union Photo Messenger bag.

Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack when I go out on my day hikes.

Any other time, just an insert into whatever bag I'm taking with me.

Was a big fan of the Think Tank Retrospective line when I still owned a DSLR.

But they are a bit on the expensive side.

Retrospective-7-Pinestone-5.jpg

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx

Groof

All for this. I'm on the hunt for a camera backpack. One that actually looks alright and doesn't break the bank too bad.

RuGalz

All for this. I'm on the hunt for a camera backpack. One that actually looks alright and doesn't break the bank too bad.

If you already have a backpack you like just get an insert. The only reason I have one for day hike is if I am going to be carrying a tripod. It's much easier to find a backpack you like and add an insert than trying to find a camera backpack that fits all the requirements imo.

Groof

If you already have a backpack you like just get an insert. The only reason I have one for day hike is if I am going to be carrying a tripod. It's much easier to find a backpack you like and add an insert than trying to find a camera backpack that fits all the requirements imo.

Huh. I didn't even know that was a thing. Do you have any recommendations? Looking it up I'm not seeing much in stock in local stores.

RuGalz

Huh. I didn't even know that was a thing. Do you have any recommendations? Looking it up I'm not seeing much in stock in local stores.

I use something similar to this since I don't need the top covered: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...8_251_Pro_Digital_2_0_Photo.html/prm/alsVwDtl

There are a ton of choices out there if you just search for camera insert. Different sizes, different amount of padding, covered top vs not, water proofing, etc. Find something that works for your use case.

Groof

alterno69

Banned
I've tried different kind of camera bags, backpacks and such and this is my current setup Camera case by MOTUS_MX, on Flickr

I really like it but it's really fucking heavy, i can carry two bodies, my 4 lenses, one flash, two radios, one led light, batteries and other small items just fine, i can even make room for my Black Magic CC if i have to.

I'm getting this one next week for when i want to travel lighter, i want to carry a camera with me more often and this bag seems perfect for that, i'm also thinking about buying an iPhone 6+ and this will help me offload my pockets. [/URL]

The OM-D E-M5 Mark II looks like a really nice camera, but daaamn it's expensive. Body costs more here than a a7 body (not mk ii).

I've never used a m43 camera, but the lenses look really good and reasonably priced.

Wreav

Banned
The OM-D E-M5 Mark II looks like a really nice camera, but daaamn it's expensive. Body costs more here than a a7 body (not mk ii).

I've never used a m43 camera, but the lenses look really good and reasonably priced.

At first glance, nothing about the Mark II called to me over the E-M1, except the much more flexible back screen. It IS about 300 cheaper MSRP wise, I suppose, but still has the too small body of the Mark I.

The lens ecosystem is the reason I'm sticking with m4/3 for now.

Protip for the OM-D cameras...BUY USED. BUY EVERYTHING USED. I just saved $500 bucks on an E-M1 with 700 shutter count, and about to buy a 75 f/1.8 for $300 off that was used once. The "off the lot" depreciation of Olympus is insane.

At first glance, nothing about the Mark II called to me over the E-M1, except the much more flexible back screen. It IS about 300 cheaper MSRP wise, I suppose, but still has the too small body of the Mark I.

The lens ecosystem is the reason I'm sticking with m4/3 for now.

What are you using at the moment, the E-M1? Yeah I guess there's nothing interesting for you in the E-M5 II. The 40MP mode seems to be of very limited use.

With Sony, you get the a7 body fairly cheap, but the lens prices would kill me at the moment. And, of course, there's no comparison in size and weight.

Wreav

Banned
What are you using at the moment, the E-M1? Yeah I guess there's nothing interesting for you in the E-M5 II. The 40MP mode seems to be of very limited use.

With Sony, you get the a7 body fairly cheap, but the lens prices would kill me at the moment. And, of course, there's no comparison in size and weight.

My E-M1 comes today, and selling my E-M5. If you're interested in m4/3, starting with a used E-M5 is the best way to go IMO, only $400 bucks. I'll be selling mine this weekend if that interests you.

Layd Dly

Just found this thread and thought I'd post my new gear.

I just sold my Crop Cameras and currently selling my DX Lenses (18-140mm, 35mm, 55-300mm). I originally decided to go with the D610, but after Ordering it and did some more research and had a bit of regret I ultimately returned it and ended up with the D750 kit with the new 24-120mm f/4 and I also grabbed a 50mm f/1.8 prime as well.

16482431437_6a7fe87f77_b.jpg

16718583775_74a2e85240_b.jpg

16531160370_52b0ed1496_b.jpg

16692684676_5c0db41626_b.jpg

Wreav

Banned
What made you upgrade?

I'd mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'm a huge back button focus nut. Totally changed my shooting style on Canon's, and was a feature I've sorely missed on the E-M5. The E-M1 chassis moved the Fn-1 button out to the far right side of the back, making it the perfect spot for back button focusing. The smartphone controls are a pretty neat bonus too, along with the improved EVF.

Back focusing is really the main thing, though.

I'd mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'm a huge back button focus nut. Totally changed my shooting style on Canon's, and was a feature I've sorely missed on the E-M5. The E-M1 chassis moved the Fn-1 button out to the far right side of the back, making it the perfect spot for back button focusing. The smartphone controls are a pretty neat bonus too, along with the improved EVF.

Back focusing is really the main thing, though.

Interesting. Never tried back focusing. Do you have any experience with a E-M10? Seems to be the one most reasonably priced where I live (Europe).

alterno69

Banned
Just found this thread and thought I'd post my new gear.

I just sold my Crop Cameras and currently selling my DX Lenses (18-140mm, 35mm, 55-300mm). I originally decided to go with the D610, but after Ordering it and did some more research and had a bit of regret I ultimately returned it and ended up with the D750 kit with the new 24-120mm f/4 and I also grabbed a 50mm f/1.8 prime as well.

Enjoy man, awesome little camera.

Radec

Just bought a Nikkor 50mm 1.8G for like $133. Still looks great. Too hard to pass up the deal even though I don't use my Nikon anymore.

Gonna try it out on my old ass D300.

I'm drooling over Sony a7s. God that's one mighty camera.
Does anyone have it in here?

That's the camera I'm dreaming of buying this year. I hope Sony releases the A7S Mk II soon so the first one will go down. :)

This a7s review was fantastic: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2014/09/10/enjoy-the-light-love-the-dark-the-sony-a7s-full-review/

Layd Dly

Enjoy man, awesome little camera.

Absolutely loving it so far. The auto-focus and low light performance blow me away. I love shooting it with the 50mm, havent had much time with the 24-120 yet.

Hoping to pick up a 70-200mm by april if possible. Just not sure if i need the f/2.8 or settle on the f/4 for half the price.

yogloo

Just bought a Nikkor 50mm 1.8G for like $133. Still looks great. Too hard to pass up the deal even though I don't use my Nikon anymore.

Gonna try it out on my old ass D300.

That's the camera I'm dreaming of buying this year. I hope Sony releases the A7S Mk II soon so the first one will go down. :)

This a7s review was fantastic: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2014/09/10/enjoy-the-light-love-the-dark-the-sony-a7s-full-review/

This camera is something else. It would make lots of harsh condition that normally needs some planning before you can shoot becomes braindead point and shoot.
I am hoping for the price to come down a bit too. It is quite an expensive camera at $2500, though deservedly.

MuggerMD

Banned
Not sure if this is the best place for these questions but Ill give it a go;

Can I get some tips for getting the best color out of the GoPro? I am shooting video with a Hero 4, a iPhone 6, and a D90.

When I compare the color the Hero 4 always has a washed out feel. I have tried to play around with the 'Protune' options and haven't found the right set up.

Second question is removing the 'graininess' from shots, same cameras as above. I have lights set up and it seems like there is enough light.

Amateur photographer here looking to buy. Looked at Nikon D5300; looks like a good entry-level DSLR. Anything else I should consider in the price range or maybe a little higher?

I enjoy shooting nature and really want to get into night photography.

Zyzyxxz

I'm considering getting rid of my Fuji X100 and upgrading to a X100S.

Is it worth it or should I just save up money for the X100T?

hitsugi

that's such a hard call. i might be inclined to suggest the X100T simply for the future proof feeling and it is a pretty huge jump from the X100. I'm sure you've done the preliminary research on it with a site like this: http://www.fujivsfuji.com/x100t-vs-x100s-vs-x100/ or this http://alikgriffin.com/jan/18/fuji-x100t-vs-x100s-9-reasons-why-you-should-upgrade

Personally I would go for the T.. if I already had an S, I would wait.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Hey guys, I've been recently interesting in investing in an entry level DSLR camera. Was just wondering if wifi connectivity was a standard feature now for entry level cameras (thinking within the $600 range if possible), or if it's a gimmick that is not really worth the consideration considering the compromise. I also want to get one for good video recording quality. From my basic search, it seems like the Nikon D5300 fits this criteria, but if you guys have any suggestions i'm also open to them :D

it should be noted that the only reason I care about wifi connectivity is the ease of transferring files rather than plopping out the sd card.

looking a little further, it seems like lenses cost a lot, that kinda puts the camera I was looking at out of my range :(

Zyzyxxz

that's such a hard call. i might be inclined to suggest the X100T simply for the future proof feeling and it is a pretty huge jump from the X100. I'm sure you've done the preliminary research on it with a site like this: http://www.fujivsfuji.com/x100t-vs-x100s-vs-x100/ or this http://alikgriffin.com/jan/18/fuji-x100t-vs-x100s-9-reasons-why-you-should-upgrade

Personally I would go for the T.. if I already had an S, I would wait.

Yeah for me its mainly the autofocus that I want to be better.

A used X100s can be had for $750 while a new X100T is going for $1300 USD now. Which is over 70% price difference.

A used X100s can be had for $750 while a new X100T is going for $1300 USD now. Which is over 70% price difference.

I owned both the X100 and the X100s (which I'll sell this week). It's a tough decision. The autofocus on the S is better, but still not great. 16mp gives you a bit more room for cropping, but there's lot's of people who like the looks of the images from the beyer sensor better than the ones from the Xtrans.

I'll probably get a x100T, I really want that rangefinder-like viewfinder.

And damn why is it so expensive in the US? $1300?? Usually stuff is more expensive here in Europe. The X100T goes for $1000 tax included where I live.

tr4656

Go for the X100T. New hybrid viewfinder, faster AF, WiFi, and the tighter toggles are worth it. I upgraded from X100 -> X100T myself.

I owned both the X100 and the X100s (which I'll sell this week). It's a tough decision. The autofocus on the S is better, but still not great. 16mp gives you a bit more room for cropping, but there's lot's of people who like the looks of the images from the beyer sensor better than the ones from the Xtrans.

I'll probably get a x100T, I really want that rangefinder-like viewfinder.

And damn why is it so expensive in the US? $1300?? Usually stuff is more expensive here in Europe. The X100T goes for $1000 tax included where I live.

X100/X100S/X100T have all been 1300 here.

hitsugi

I've seen the used X100T go for $950-ish (but more commonly $1k on amazon and dpreview).. Since we both live in CA, tax is another factor. If I can buy it used from someone on a forum and save another $100, I will. It is still a fair price difference but I wouldn't go full price on the X100T unless I never had to look at my bank account >.>

If improved AF is really what you're after, it might be worth the extra money. A used X100T is most likely going to be in pretty damn good shape, too

Zyzyxxz

I've seen the used X100T go for $950-ish (but more commonly $1k on amazon and dpreview).. Since we both live in CA, tax is another factor. If I can buy it used from someone on a forum and save another $100, I will. It is still a fair price difference but I wouldn't go full price on the X100T unless I never had to look at my bank account >.>

If improved AF is really what you're after, it might be worth the extra money. A used X100T is most likely going to be in pretty damn good shape, too

Hmm yeah I guess I'll just save up. I was kinda hoping to get rid of my x100 before May when I go to Japan but I suppose I shouldn't rush just to get a new camera for a trip.

hitsugi

Hmm yeah I guess I'll just save up. I was kinda hoping to get rid of my x100 before May when I go to Japan but I suppose I shouldn't rush just to get a new camera for a trip.

Depending on how crazy you're willing to be, you may be able to swing a purchase on PayPal credit with no payments or interest on it for 6-12 months. Then sell your X100 and pay the X100T off at your leisure.

....I'm crazy like that. I've put together PCs with new parts as the old parts were shipped out in between.

Salamando

Is this the proper place for opinions on more generic type cameras? I'm going on vacation soon and could use an upgrade (current camera is less powerful than your average smartphone).

Looking at either the Sony DSC-RX100/B or Sony Alpha a5000. Currently undecided on how much I want to do regarding lens and such. The a5000 leaves the door open for that, but how much I do (if anything) will be determined by remaining budget come actual vacation time...

Radec

Is this the proper place for opinions on more generic type cameras? I'm going on vacation soon and could use an upgrade (current camera is less powerful than your average smartphone).

Looking at either the Sony DSC-RX100/B or Sony Alpha a5000. Currently undecided on how much I want to do regarding lens and such. The a5000 leaves the door open for that, but how much I do (if anything) will be determined by remaining budget come actual vacation time...

Try checking this for deals when you're ready to buy: http://slickdeals.net/deals/photo/

Newegg has the A5100 + 2 lenses for $499.

If you can shell out another $200, go for the much better camera A6000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom