• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and bought that Sigma 2.8 30mm for my A6000... since it's a native lens and will have AF, I popped the Kit lens back on my a6000 just to get a feel for what options that AF gives me. Apparently I can have a sort of half AF, half MF set up, and it's pretty cool. I plan on using the AF almost exclusively for real quick shots that I don't have time for MF, so it's nice to have it set up this way.

On another note, holy hell is the kit lens terribad. Can't wait for the Sigma to come in haha.

hitsugi

On another note, holy hell is the kit lens terribad. Can't wait for the Sigma to come in haha.

I loathe that kit lens. I've taken some decent shots with it, and yeah, it's small.. but I have to correct just about every aspect of it and it pales in comparison (like, horribly) to other kit lenses (I think it even pales in comparison to the older, non-powerzoom Nex kit).

Why they didn't do away with it with they moved beyond the NEX line is beyond me. Cost? Most likely.

I loathe that kit lens. I've taken some decent shots with it, and yeah, it's small.. but I have to correct just about every aspect of it and it pales in comparison (like, horribly) to other kit lenses (I think it even pales in comparison to the older, non-powerzoom Nex kit).

Why they didn't do away with it with they moved beyond the NEX line is beyond me. Cost? Most likely.

F5.0 at 30mm is laughable. It's soooo dark and grainy and just... crap.

I just got a E-M5 mark ii and Im pretty surprise on how small it actually is....

I also got a 12-14mm f2.8 pro.....which nullified the smallness of the camera.

What a good prime lens to get? Im a noob

Ty4on

all kit lens are bad.

probably except for those expensive Fuji XF 16-55 2.8-4
Nah. Sony's new 16-50 is quite a lot worse than most kit lenses. It's way worse than the Nikon 18-55.
http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/842-sony1650f3556oss?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/397-nikkor18553556vr?start=1

The Nikon lens actually covers full frame at longer focal lengths hence the good vignetting performance. Funnily enough it also distorts less than the Fuji :p

-griffy-

Banned
I just got a E-M5 mark ii and Im pretty surprise on how small it actually is....

I also got a 12-14mm f2.8 pro.....which nullified the smallness of the camera.

What a good prime lens to get? Im a noob

A fairly standard first prime is a 50mm equivalent, so for a micro 4/3 sensor that would be a 25mm lens.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is a very nice lens, though fairly expensive.

Olympus has their own 25mm, though it's f1.8 instead of 1.4, but also a bit cheaper.

Sigma has a 19mm f2.8 lens that's kind of a budget option at $199.

I have the Panasonic for my GH4 and I like it quite a bit.

50mm equivalent/25mm is a good start because it's close to how the human eye sees the world. It's good for general shooting, decent as a portrait lens, the better ones are fast enough for low light, small and easily portable, etc.

But depending on specifically what you want to shoot you might want to go wider or narrower. 12-20mm for wider landscape shots (you already have have that covered with your first lens sounds like), around 45-70mm for portraits.

sadly that's all I compare everything to D:

the A7 kit is pretty decent.. even when used on an a6000

Yeah I actually currently use it as my "go to" zoom lens on the A6000. I got it because it was really cheap and the only downside to it is that you can't use it for wide angle. But that's why I have my Samyang 12mm anyway :p

Also, I'm anticipating going full-frame next year following the inevitable announcement of the A7R successor, so I took the plunge and ordered the new 24-240mm. It's still very usable on the A6000 while I don't make the jump.

A fairly standard first prime is a 50mm equivalent, so for a micro 4/3 sensor that would be a 25mm lens.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is a very nice lens, though fairly expensive.

Olympus has their own 25mm, though it's f1.8 instead of 1.4, but also a bit cheaper.

Sigma has a 19mm f2.8 lens that's kind of a budget option at $199.

I have the Panasonic for my GH4 and I like it quite a bit.

50mm equivalent/25mm is a good start because it's close to how the human eye sees the world. It's good for general shooting, decent as a portrait lens, the better ones are fast enough for low light, small and easily portable, etc.

But depending on specifically what you want to shoot you might want to go wider or narrower. 12-20mm for wider landscape shots (you already have have that covered with your first lens sounds like), around 45-70mm for portraits.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

How you like the gh4?

I was going back and forth between getting the gh4 or em5 II....I wanted to do a mix of stills and videos.

I know the gh4 video is superior but I'm still a noob and I think the IBIS will benefit me more than the better video quality, I didn't want to spend more on a 3 axis gimbal or steady cam. Did I make the right decision?

Wreav

Banned
I'd personally recommend the Oly 17mm over the 25, I feel the 35mm range is far more versatile than 50mm. If you're wanting to smush some backgrounds, take a look at the 45mm 1.8, best bang for your buck with m4/3. The 75mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens too. Not a huge fan of zooms, if you can't tell.

-griffy-

Banned
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

How you like the gh4?

I was going back and forth between getting the gh4 or em5 II....I wanted to do a mix of stills and videos.

I know the gh4 video is superior but I'm still a noob and I think the IBIS will benefit me more than the better video quality, I didn't want to spend more on a 3 axis gimbal or steady cam. Did I make the right decision?

I love the GH4, but I'm primarily a video guy so the advanced, professional level features are a must. I think coming as an amateur the EM5 mii is great. Good photos and the video quality is nothing to sneeze at, just not as feature rich as the GH4 but perfectly fine for normal use, and the built in IS in the body is gonna be nice for sure.

Alright, so looking for some tips and ideas for a few photos I want to get this Friday.

There's a solar eclipse happening, and where I'm at it's a 96% coverage, which is awesome. Question is, how should I set up for such a scene?

I have a bunch of ND Grad filters that I could possibly stack... think that would help? Sky or ground?

Just thinking of ways I could get the best results!

Last year I bought a tripod which I've not even used once since then. I'm going to Rome soon and I'm not sure if I should take it with me or not.

In bright sunlight, when you can shoot with fast shutter speed without a problem, is there going to be a difference if I use a tripod or not?

I'll probably take it with me to do some shots at night, but is there any benefit during the day?

Flo_Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0muqIZTux0

Here are the results...

Youtube compression kind of kills it a bit, but its interesting (to me at least...) the differences between the cameras. I can see why people love the GH4 for video. I didn't really even get to most of the features and crap it can do. With some tweaking of the picture profiles it could be very nice.

I didn't attempt to compensate for DoF so I can pick out the D810 shots very easily. Hard to see after youtube mangles it but the GH4 definitely kills the internal .mp4 encoding nikon has. Of course I have an external recorder to get around this limitation. I would of liked to do some external captures out of the GH4 and the Nikon but I ran out of time (had to send GH4 back).

Gopro is gopro, everything was running AWB but the gropro was farthest off most of the time. You can see allot more noise on the indoor shots, way more distortion but for what it is... not bad!

My Sigma came in today! As my first modern lens, it's... kind of weird to me! Haha.

It's nice that the overall lens is very small compared to the vintage lens/adapters I had been using, but what's weird is how the front lens element is like, super tiny. Is that normal?

Messing around with AF, I've normally been really hesitant to say that AF had any real value, but after having setup my camera so that it only AF's when I press a button, it does seem to be a nice option. Definitely good for making a very quick focus setting. It'll be really useful when photographing at events.

Flo_Evans

Ha I was shooting with my old film nikon this weekend and I was thinking "man, AF is really a good invention"

esp. with film vs. digital. Funny to realize just how much I check focus/exposure on the rear screen.

Ha I was shooting with my old film nikon this weekend and I was thinking "man, AF is really a good invention"

esp. with film vs. digital. Funny to realize just how much I check focus/exposure on the rear screen.

But at least those old cameras had those fucking gigantic viewfinders. I was so floored when I found my old Minolta SRT101 and looked in it. (esp. since i only had a crop sensor camera at the time)

Ty4on

The Minolta 7 had a very nice way of checking exposure.
brightnessdisplay.jpg

It would show over and under exposure in stops for each segment so you would know if the sky would blow out. It also had a separate dial for flash exposure compensation.

I also love how film cameras did auto exposure with flashes. No preflash, what they instead did was read light reflected from the film and stop the flash when sufficient light had hit it. It wasn't as accurate with no multi segment reading, but I'd love to get rid of that preflash :p

Hmm I would look at used ones. You want it as solid as possible. I have a 701hdv and wish it was stronger once I get everything mounted on it.

err... thanks, but i said i'm looking for a full tripod, not the head alone. you're even the one who asked me what i meant lol

i think i'll ask again since i really didn't learn anything last time around.

folks, i have $150 to spend on a video tripod - not a tripod head, but a full unit. the whole thing. what specifically are my best options at this price point?

Flo_Evans

err... thanks, but i said i'm looking for a full tripod, not the head alone. you're even the one who asked me what i meant lol

folks, i have $150 to spend on a video tripod - not a tripod head, but a full unit. the whole thing. what specifically are my best options at this price point?

Sorry IDK, going to be hard to get a good fluid head and study legs at that price new.

I mean the only complete setup with a fluid head I could find for $150 is this magnus http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html I've never heard of or seen one in person so I can't really recommend it.

-griffy-

Banned

Found this Davis & Sanford system for $160, and this Magnus for $150. Both have a fluid head on ball mounts, which is really the one major thing you'd want for video. Have no personal experience with either, hadn't even heard of them before searching for this post. Have decent user reviews though.

Otherwise there just isn't really anything out there for head/legs combo in that price range that would be any good for video. Looking at more around $350-400 at the minimum to get a nice, well built system with a fluid head. I have this Libec, for example. Nice, smooth head on adjustable ball mount for quick leveling, quick release plate, easily adjustable legs, etc, in a well built unit that will last.

That Davis & Sanford or Magnus look like the closest you'd get without shelling out more money.

Wreav

Banned
The spoils of buying secondhand; saved $700 on this combo by buying used, and both are in mint condition. Lens was used once, and body has 700 actuations. Insane. I will say the E-M1 was a very worthy upgrade to the capable E-M5, couldn't be happier.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Olympus 75mm f1.8

16698417908_fc8d9d7d35_c.jpg

leng jai

The spoils of buying secondhand; saved $700 on this combo by buying used, and both are in mint condition. Lens was used once, and body has 700 actuations. Insane. I will say the E-M1 was a very worthy upgrade to the capable E-M5, couldn't be happier.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Olympus 75mm f1.8

16698417908_fc8d9d7d35_c.jpg

Yep, absolutely loving my E-M1 since getting it. Such a pleasure to use, and the 12-40mm lens complements it perfectly.

Wreav

Banned
The girl I bought the 75mm from is selling her equally mint 12-40 Pro for $725. Breaks my heart I can't swing it. Lusting hard for that glass.

leng jai

The girl I bought the 75mm from is selling her equally mint 12-40 Pro for $725. Breaks my heart I can't swing it. Lusting hard for that glass.

It's pretty expensive but I got it bundled the body itself for $1300 a few months ago so it wasn't so bad. It's a pretty good all round lens, I don't find myself needing wanting to switch much. The main issue is that it makes the camera slightly bulky and obviously far from compact.

I think I've fallen in love with the LX100. Is it really worth it.

Or should I save some money and just go for the G 7 X instead.

Note: I'm sorta an amateur photographer getting back into the hobby.

hitsugi

I think I've fallen in love with the LX100. Is it really worth it.

Or should I save some money and just go for the G 7 X instead.

Note: I'm sorta an amateur photographer getting back into the hobby.

I see the LX100 get seriously, seriously great marks and I question what it has over the X100S/T or the RX100 M3.. Maybe I need to do more reading on what makes that camera so amazing

-griffy-

Banned
I see the LX100 get seriously, seriously great marks and I question what it has over the X100S/T or the RX100 M3.. Maybe I need to do more reading on what makes that camera so amazing

Most obvious things I can think of are the 24-75mm (35mm equivalent) Leica zoom lens at f1.7-f2.8, which seems very fast for a built in zoom (Sony matches it there more or less), and internal 4k video.

This is one.

TS560x560

I'm trying so hard to justify getting a G7 X but every shot and video of the LX100 beats the crap out of it easy.

hitsugi

wow. at that point I wonder why it doesn't seem to be as popular as the RX100 or X100 lineups. I understand Fuji's jpeg processing is fantastic but still..

RayStorm

On that note... is it realistic to expect a RX100 Mark 4 sometime during May/June this year? When were the previous generations announced/first rumoured?

wow. at that point I wonder why it doesn't seem to be as popular as the RX100 or X100 lineups. I understand Fuji's jpeg processing is fantastic but still..

Perhaps size. When I read that the LX100 is not really pocketable anymore it becomes completely disinteresting to me. Whereas an RX100 still sort of fits into a pocket (I hope).

The RX100 is a lot more compact and actually fits in a pocket. It has a smaller sensor, so I guess image quality is slightly below a LX100.

The X100 line has an APS-C sensor with very good high ISO performance and a hybrid viewfinder.

I own a X100T, if I would get a second camera (which I'm actually thinking about for my gf) it would probably be a RX100 and not a LX100 just because of the size.

tr4656

The RX100 is a lot more compact and actually fits in a pocket. It has a smaller sensor, so I guess image quality is slightly below a LX100.

The X100 line has an APS-C sensor with very good high ISO performance and a hybrid viewfinder.

I own a X100T, if I would get a second camera (which I'm actually thinking about for my gf) it would probably be a RX100 and not a LX100 just because of the size.

This. I went with the X100 for similar reason, high ISO, Fuji JPG processing, and the viewfinder.

Zyzyxxz

Perhaps size. When I read that the LX100 is not really pocketable anymore it becomes completely disinteresting to me. Whereas an RX100 still sort of fits into a pocket (I hope).

The LX00 is more of an alternative to the Fuji X100(S/T) since it has a similar sized sensor (micro 4/3rds vs APS-C) whereas the Sony RX100 sports those compact sensors.

The LX00 is more of an alternative to the Fuji X100(S/T) since it has a similar sized sensor (micro 4/3rds vs APS-C) whereas the Sony RX100 sports those compact sensors.

I think the 4/3 sensor (225mm2) is closer to the 1" sensor (116mm2) of the RX100 than to the APS-C sensor (370mm2).

Ty4on

I think the 4/3 sensor (225mm2) is closer to the 1" sensor (116mm2) of the RX100 than to the APS-C sensor (370mm2).

In the middle I guess and remember that the actual sensor size is smaller than 4/3'.
neutral.png

It could partly be the in camera sharpening, but from DPreviews' test picture it looked sharper, especially when you stopped down as the RX100 got more diffraction (crop factor * aperture works for diffraction as well).

Peru

Anyone here own the Fuji X-T1? I'm thinking of picking it up.. but is the kit 18-55 lens a good pack in to go for as an allrounder?

Zyzyxxz

Anyone here own the Fuji X-T1? I'm thinking of picking it up.. but is the kit 18-55 lens a good pack in to go for as an allrounder?

I'm debating whether to buy that or upgrade to an X100T. I've used both and there are good reasons for me personally to own either one. The EVF on it is gorgeous though.

Tablo

Yes that lens is really fantastic, don't worry about its quality. It's gooood.
I'm debating whether to buy that or upgrade to an X100T. I've used both and there are good reasons for me personally to own either one. The EVF on it is gorgeous though.
I have the X100T, love it, obviously it is nor an ILC, so really decide on where and how you're going to use this.
They're very different tools, if you already have an ILC you're probably fine with the X100T, as for me I only have the X100T and I kind of want to eventually get a weathersealed ILC system to complement it, maybe Pentax or Olympus.

Zyzyxxz

I have the X100T, love it, obviously it is nor an ILC, so really decide on where and how you're going to use this.
They're very different tools, if you already have an ILC you're probably fine with the X100T, as for me I only have the X100T and I kind of want to eventually get a weathersealed ILC system to complement it, maybe Pentax or Olympus.

I'll prob end up getting an X100T first but I'm debating whether I should get a used Sony A7 (not MK2), or the XT-1.

The A7 can be had for less than $900 used which is very tempting for a mirrorless full frame camera.

I'll prob end up getting an X100T first but I'm debating whether I should get a used Sony A7 (not MK2), or the XT-1.

The A7 can be had for less than $900 used which is very tempting for a mirrorless full frame camera.

Oh don't tell me that. Please don't tell me that.

Tablo

Oh don't tell me that. Please don't tell me that.
dissuasion: it has a crazy loud shutter sound! :p
I think between the XT1/A7 it's still an issue of portability/priorities, do you need full frame IQ? Or something more practical day to day and that'll have the same output as the X100T? Is video important to any degree? Fuji=video NOPE for now

Peru

I've briefly thought about a7 as well but really it would have to be the a7s and that's definitely not as cheap. Feel like the xt-1 serves me better than the other a7s, plus those lovely control wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom