• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
zhenming said:
well boys and girls the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is here :D :D :D fat bonus check came early this year :D :D :D

oh and amazon prime ftmfw just in time for xmas.

Nice! Best wide angle zoom ever made :O

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zhenming said:
well boys and girls the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is here :D :D :D fat bonus check came early this year :D :D :D

oh and amazon prime ftmfw just in time for xmas.
Niiice. That is one sweet-ass lens. I love using it. For now I only rent it when I need it, but I've been considering buying it one of these days.

I'm looking for a nice, decent Point and Shoot to compliment my DSLR that's somewhat thin as well (those dern skinny jeans).

Does anyone have any reccomendations in the Canon camp? Or maybe I should look wider?

WJD

Got a Panasonic DMC-FT1 for Christmas, primarily because of my Snowboarding (seeing as it's shock and water proof).

Any tips for the best quality pictures with it?

mrkgoo

WJD said:
Got a Panasonic DMC-FT1 for Christmas, primarily because of my Snowboarding (seeing as it's shock and water proof).

Any tips for the best quality pictures with it?

I was eyeing that camera up for some time. Nice feature set for a P&S waterproof.

Tips - really depends on how much you want to learn about photography. First thing is to take lots of pictures and figure out for yourself the kinds of pictures that you like or dislike, what works compositionally etc. If you want to go deeper, learning the fundamentals of exposure and how an automatic camera achieves it will help you understand the limits of your gear and how you can exploit the settings for best effect.

slider

Thanks to mrkgoo, mr_nothin, BlueTsunami and Forsete for the tips on my now opened Christmas present... a Sony a380. Cos of my underprivileged upbringing I'm already thinking about an upgrade. Tragic.

Forsete you were right about the grip... it feels incredibly small in my hand.

First off I think I need to think about lense(s).

I've only snapped pics of my dog so far. Hoping to get involved in the pic threads soon though.

Forsete

slider said:
Thanks to mrkgoo, mr_nothin, BlueTsunami and Forsete for the tips on my now opened Christmas present... a Sony a380. Cos of my underprivileged upbringing I'm already thinking about an upgrade. Tragic.

I've only snapped pics of my dog so far. Hoping to get involved in the pic threads soon though.

Yeah the grip is tragic, but I can understand what they were trying to do, appeal more to the P&S folks with great looks and so on.
But like I already said, it has some other positive features, the friendly interface is great for people who are just getting started with DSLRs coming from almost fully automatic P&S cameras.

I think you should hold on to it for a while, picture-wise its not a bad camera at all, you can do some really creative stuff with any camera.

Oh and get a Flickr-account ASAP. :)

mrkgoo

slider said:

Yay! My post above yours is completely relevant to you as well.

Oh and about my previous comment about the gift-giver - I was trying to say that it says something about the gift giver if they are able to get a blind gift for someone and get upset when they exchange it appropriately. I would've thought that the sentiment of getting a camera is the point, so exchanging it for a different kind of camera is still the same thing. Although.... I guess, they could feel offended as if you were saying, "What kind of piece of crap camera is this?!", if you were to exchange it.

Regardless, as Forsete said, keep it and learn photography with it and maybe in a few years when you are ready to upgrade you can have a more informed decision then. I can see you sticking with the format, though. YOu can see exactly why the entry level DSLR is so important to all the companies. :D

MetalAlien

Banned
I don't have a picture camera but this is my HD video baby. Sony PMW-EX3. Even this photo was taken with a video camera. Sony SR11.

ex3_wes1.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I think that's fantastic price for a new Rebel XS.

That's good since I'm ABOUT to pull the trigger. However, would going with the XSi's 9 point auto focus be vastly superior than the XS 7 point auto focus? For $110 I might be willing to do that. Also, what else should I get along with the camera? I'm thinking just a bag and a card at the moment.

BlueTsunami

Alucrid said:
That's good since I'm ABOUT to pull the trigger. However, would going with the XSi's 9 point auto focus be vastly superior than the XS 7 point auto focus? For $110 I might be willing to do that. Also, what else should I get along with the camera? I'm thinking just a bag and a card at the moment.

I've been living with my Rebel XT's AF system for a while now and even though it feels long in the tooth, it still is perfectly capable. But honestly, most of the time (If not I'm shooting extremely thin Depth of Field), I focus with the center focus point and recompose (which can be a bad habit if done habitually).

As far as accessories, you'll definitely need a larger capacity card to go with it (I believe the cameras only come with a 32MB CF Card). A bag should come in handy but I mostly have the thing around my neck (and don't carry lots of lenses, usually just one). I think a bag is most useful for someone that has two or more lenses (besides one already on the body).

Alucrid

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've been living with my Rebel XT's AF system for a while now and even though it feels long in the tooth, it still is perfectly capable. But honestly, most of the time (If not I'm shooting extremely thin Depth of Field), I focus with the center focus point and recompose (which can be a bad habit if done habitually).

As far as accessories, you'll definitely need a larger capacity card to go with it (I believe the cameras only come with a 32MB CF Card). A bag should come in handy but I mostly have the thing around my neck (and don't carry lots of lenses, usually just one). I think a bag is most useful for someone that has two or more lenses (besides one already on the body).

Okay, thanks for that. I'm going with the XS. Would an 8 GB card be suitable?

teiresias

Nice, my dad surprised me with an SB-600 flash for Christmas!! :D

Granted, I'm trying to use my 35mm 1.8 without flash most of the time, but it can come in handy when I really need to use the kit zoom and just can't there with it. He also got me a Bamboo Pen & Touch which will be handy in Lightroom I suppose!

Alucrid said:

A bag is not necessary if you have only one zoom and the camera: the lens will stay on the camera and the bag might be a bit big for not so much to carry.

For the moment, just try a half-hard case just for the camera:
CANON2748B002.jpg

or even, just a sloppy tissu bag:
3343311377_acd5a2d5c7_o.jpg

Even if they don't look that sexy, it's very pratical and userfriendly over the days.

Invest in a real bag when you'll have enough accessories to carry all your stuff with you at once. It's very usefull: when you take your camera, you have all your accessories anytime so you can't miss a shot. Even at home or during travels, all your cables and shit are in the bag. Don't need anything, don't loose anything: everything photo-related is in the photo bag !

BlueTsunami

Alucrid said:
Okay, thanks for that. I'm going with the XS. Would an 8 GB card be suitable?

8GB card? Oh God yes. I've been using my 2GB card for two year :lol . The Rebel XS is 10 Megapixel camera and looking at a Memory Capacity chart, you'll be able to take a little over 1600 photographs (when shooting JPEG).

BlueTsunami said:
8GB card? Oh God yes. I've been using my 2GB card for two year :lol . The Rebel XS is 10 Megapixel camera and looking at a Memory Capacity chart, you'll be able to take a little over 1600 photographs (when shooting JPEG).

Agreed. I'm using 1gb card and I never felt restricted. My computer does, when shooting RAW though ! :lol

So I ended up getting the Nikon D90, and man is it sweet, loving it so far. But I need a little help getting things started, I've got a general idea of what a lot of the stuff does, but knowing what they do and how they can effect my pictures would be nice.

Is there a good starter guide out there somewhere? maybe some good videos on ideal initial setting or something?

Also, anyone have any recomendations on the first new lens I should get?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have a photography question, assuming that this is the right place to post it...

I wanted to take a picture of my Christmas tree with the tree lights on. What would be the best way to do this?

I tried turning the overhead lights off, then exposing the picture with a large aperture for a second. I also tried exposing it for about 4 seconds with a small aperture. For both results, the lights looked nice, but some ornaments were too dark. I decided to try using the flash while doing the above, and everything looked nice, but the whole picture had a little of a sepia tone.

Any hints or tips?

Nobiru said:
Also, anyone have any recomendations on the first new lens I should get?

35/1.8 DX. It gives you the versatile 50mm equivalent focal length and good low-light ability. Or the 50/1.8 if you don't mind the tele perspective and want to spend less than $200.

BlueTsunami

Why would you do that? said:
I have a photography question, assuming that this is the right place to post it...

I wanted to take a picture of my Christmas tree with the tree lights on. What would be the best way to do this?

I tried turning the overhead lights off, then exposing the picture with a large aperture for a second. I also tried exposing it for about 4 seconds with a small aperture. For both results, the lights looked nice, but some ornaments were too dark. I decided to try using the flash while doing the above, and everything looked nice, but the whole picture had a little of a sepia tone.

Any hints or tips?

Some sort of fill flash (or off camera lighting) is definitely needed (if you want everything exposed correctly). Without the help of another light source the lights on the tree will usually be exposed correctly with the ornaments and tree itself underexposed (which isn't too bad). If you expose for the areas that are underexposed, you'll probably blow out the lights on the tree.

And Sepia tone? That sounds like a white balance issue (which is correctable in post). You'll probably need to bring up the blues (but this is usually by feel when I correct white balance issues).

BlueTsunami said:
Some sort of fill flash (or off camera lighting) is definitely needed (if you want everything exposed correctly). Without the help of another light source the lights on the tree will usually be exposed correctly with the ornaments and tree itself underexposed (which isn't too bad). If you expose for the areas that are underexposed, you'll probably blow out the lights on the tree.

And Sepia tone? That sounds like a white balance issue (which is correctable in post). You'll probably need to bring up the blues (but this is usually by feel when I correct white balance issues).
Hm, an external light source... While it isn't the greatest source, I'll need to try it out with the ceiling light on to see if it'll look any different.

Post processing is something that I don't like to use (I feel like I'm "ruining" the image, cheating, or something) though I do understand its importance. However, I'll try using it in this case if the lights don't work.

Thanks for your help, though.

mrkgoo

the concept of post processing = cheating is a notion you have to get out of your mind. i know what you mean, and how you feel, but photographers have been processing their images long before digital has been around. Adjusting the way a picture turns out is very much another tool of the photographer's set of tricks. The camera does the same thing anyway, depending on your settings, there's really little difference.

it's very important to develop the skill to get it right in camera and not rely on post processing to save you, but using it to get the picture you actually want isn't cheating. DO learn about lighting and exposure - that's very important. Just don't needlessly limit your photography.

slider

I'm having a lot of fun with my a380 and I must say it's a great introduction to DSLRs. The "baby-steps" menu system is great for beginners. When you select a shooting mode the screen flashes up a description of what the mode is for. As I've said before I don't have much experience with cams but, based on my limited time with the Sony, I must say for noobs it works a treat.

Going up to a very pretty small town for New Year and am already thinking "I need a wide angle lense..."

: )

Futureman

UnluckyKate said:
A bag is not necessary if you have only one zoom and the camera: the lens will stay on the camera and the bag might be a bit big for not so much to carry.

For the moment, just try a half-hard case just for the camera:
CANON2748B002.jpg

or even, just a sloppy tissu bag:
3343311377_acd5a2d5c7_o.jpg

Even if they don't look that sexy, it's very pratical and userfriendly over the days.

Invest in a real bag when you'll have enough accessories to carry all your stuff with you at once. It's very usefull: when you take your camera, you have all your accessories anytime so you can't miss a shot. Even at home or during travels, all your cables and shit are in the bag. Don't need anything, don't loose anything: everything photo-related is in the photo bag !
I'll chime in and say "BAD ADVICE."

Get a bag. Silly not to. Even if you eventually get more gear and a larger bag, it's always good to have a smaller bag which can hold your camera plus one or two lenses plus some pockets for small accessories.

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
I'll chime in and say "BAD ADVICE."

Get a bag. Silly not to. Even if you eventually get more gear and a larger bag, it's always good to have a smaller bag which can hold your camera plus one or two lenses plus some pockets for small accessories.

Agreed. If there's one rhino a photographer can't get enough of, it's bags. I have several, each for different occasions. My latest is a 98% recycled PET bottle bag that doesn't afford much padding or protection, but perfect if all I want to carry is my camera and maybe one small spare lens. I'll take a shot of it later.

Pachimari

Hi all.

I really feel I'm barebones at this subject. I have had a beginner digital camera from Canon and Sony before and right now I got nothing. I'm going to Asia next year and is already planning trips to The Maldives, Greece, Venice and Spain but I want a camera.

Not just a beginners-only but a camera where I can play around with all kinds of settings to shoot beautiful shots of landscapes, views, people and capture the vibrant colors and really sharp pictures. I need one that has accessories (doesn't have to have a whole lot of stuff like the nikon/canon line-up has) and right now my choice would be an Olympus E-P2.

I saw one who bought this one earlier in the thread but can you guys recommend anything else I should take a look at? It got to be a camera I can be satisfied with for more than 2 years, one I want to investe money in. I'm willing to spend around $1100 US Dollars (i'm from europe/denmark mind you so i won't be buying from amazon.com) on the camera itself.

evanylee

I went to school for photography and make a living with it too.

Here's my camera progression:

Contax RTS (still own)
-35mm SLR, all manual with meter

Nikon F3 to
-35mm SLR, all mechanical with electromagnetic shutter

Canon EOS-1 to
-35mm SLR, autofocus, fully auto with motordrivr

Leica MP-4 to
-35mm rangefinder, all mechanical

Rolleiflex 6001 to
-medium format 6x6

Rolleiflex 6008 to
-medium format 6x6

Canon EOS 1Ds to
-35mm digital, full frame 11MP

Canon EOS 5D (still own)
-35mm digital full frame 12.8MP

Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID (still own)
-medium format 6x7, contacts for phase one and leaf digital backs

thinking about buying:
Canon 1D mk III (relatively affordable)

with all this money I've speant, I couldve bought a nice horse.

About the Lens Hood/UV filter discussion:
Always use a lens hood, never use a UV

Stabby89

Neo Member
I want to start experimenting with an SLR camera, but I'd like to spend as little as possible. I've found a Canon 300D with kit lens for €150. Is that a good start?

I just love toying with all the editing parameters by the way. Got my hand on an SLR for the first time a few days ago. It was a Nikon D60 with kit lens. Couldn't put it away :D I love the feeling of a big camera, it gives you a good grip and makes you feel like you're actually doing photography. Plus all the editing makes you feel like the picture is really yours.

Daigoro

its probably been addressed in this topic already, but i was hoping someone could suggest a free program to use for post processing photos?

i got my first ever digital camera this year (a cheap point and shoot Fuji) so im excited to start taking snaps of anything and everything. the software that came with it is crap and im probably just going to uninstall it.

also, anyone have any general tips for a beginner? tips on post processing effects, ISO/MP setting recommendations or just any helpful advice?

thanks.

Koshiba

Was told to try here so reposting my from other thread..

So.. I'm going to California next month and I realized it would be pretty cool to have a camera to take with me instead of always trying to use my phone camera.

My last camera was a Canon Powershot A510, but honestly, I hated it. No matter what setting i tried, the flash was always too bright and made people look like ghosts.. then it would generally be blurry if I tried to take a picture without the flash on. So I was hoping to find something that wasn't like that. I figured camera tech has probably changed since then so I assume there's something better.

I don't want to spend more than $200 (cheaper the better since I don't even really have the money to spend..~) Don't care so much about recording video. I'm not a photographer so UBER HIGH QUALITY isn't a must. Also if there's any good sales/deals going on right now let me know since I need to order one ASAP if I want to receive it in time.

So just looking for something that's good quality, not too expensive and takes nicer pictures than my old camera. Thanks for any help.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830122235 friend linked this one but I can't find a whole lot of reviews on it.

mrkgoo

Koshiba said:
Was told to try here so reposting my from other thread..

So.. I'm going to California next month and I realized it would be pretty cool to have a camera to take with me instead of always trying to use my phone camera.

My last camera was a Canon Powershot A510, but honestly, I hated it. No matter what setting i tried, the flash was always too bright and made people look like ghosts.. then it would generally be blurry if I tried to take a picture without the flash on. So I was hoping to find something that wasn't like that. I figured camera tech has probably changed since then so I assume there's something better.

I don't want to spend more than $200 (cheaper the better since I don't even really have the money to spend..~) Don't care so much about recording video. I'm not a photographer so UBER HIGH QUALITY isn't a must. Also if there's any good sales/deals going on right now let me know since I need to order one ASAP if I want to receive it in time.

So just looking for something that's good quality, not too expensive and takes nicer pictures than my old camera. Thanks for any help.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830122235 friend linked this one but I can't find a whole lot of reviews on it.

I think the A-series of cameras are pretty good. The bigger key is to understanding what causes the blur with flash off (camera chooses a longer shutter speed), and flashes will probably always have that effect on P&S. Once you understand what causes it, your technique can mitigate them (or you know which settings to manipulate to lessen them).

Camera tech has changed over the years, so most cameras now have IS so less flash is required (can't stop people moving, though). In conclusion a newer camera will certainly be an improvement, but a bit of know-how goes a long way too.

Koshiba

mrkgoo said:
I think the A-series of cameras are pretty good. The bigger key is to understanding what causes the blur with flash off (camera chooses a longer shutter speed), and flashes will probably always have that effect on P&S. Once you understand what causes it, your technique can mitigate them (or you know which settings to manipulate to lessen them).

Camera tech has changed over the years, so most cameras now have IS so less flash is required (can't stop people moving, though). In conclusion a newer camera will certainly be an improvement, but a bit of know-how goes a long way too.

I just know I'd try taking pictures of inside lighting things and it would always be dark and blurry no matter what setting I switched the camera to.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona510/
this was my previous/current camera.. I'm guessing since it's so old now pretty much anything would be better? Lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
to be honest, P&S haven't improved much in high ISO/low light shooting, and at your budget you'll have limited choice.

pretty much any P&S will take nice shots in good light - outdoors, landscapes etc.

But they are slow to focus and so shooting people can be tricky - especially kids. And they're shit in low light.

If you can get your people to sit still (or they do anyway), then try and find a camera with manual mode, or at least some decent scene modes that you can use to force the camera to do what you want.

For the flash, you can try diffusing it, or simply directing it away from faces so it bounces off the ceiling - a simple small piece of white card stuck onto the camera so it reflects the flash upwards should help a lot

Koshiba

Would it be worth even upgrading then? It's only 3.2.. but the damn thing I remember costing me like $180 or something when I got it. :lol People moving isn't too much of an issue.. I just had problems even taking a picture of myself sitting still. Anyway. should I try with my current camera or try an upgrade?

Cfh123

I've have the Panasonic ZS3 as my compact camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmczs3

It supplements my "big bertha" Nikon D300 (DSLR).

What sold me on the Panasonic is that it has high-def video and a 12X zoom. I have been very pleased with the ZS3. I was thinking of the Panasonic LX3 which gets excellent reviews, but it has a limited zoom (which doesn't work in video mode), and a lens cap which is inconvenient for a point and shoot.

I think the point and shoots have improved such that under good light conditions (outside, sunny, and non-moving subjects) they take as good photos as DSLR's, and are likely better for most people who don't want to climb the learning curve of DSLR's, or lug one around.

mrkgoo

Koshiba said:
Would it be worth even upgrading then? It's only 3.2.. but the damn thing I remember costing me like $180 or something when I got it. :lol People moving isn't too much of an issue.. I just had problems even taking a picture of myself sitting still. Anyway. should I try with my current camera or try an upgrade?
A 3.2 megapixel camera is fine for web images and small prints, but not so mug the camera itself, but the 3.2 mp is indicative of when you got your camera - maybe 5 years ago. IS wasn't as prevalent back then and that's one thng that can really help - it moves lens elements to compensate for your own shake, thus negating the need to go into high sensor sensitivity mode, resultig in cleaner images.

I say upgrade. Stick with the a series an you'll be fine. I know the older a-series use to be pretty good with offering manual modes, allowing you to adjust exposure settings yoursef and the newer ones not as many options. There should still be an exposure compensation setting, however.

I'm going to say camera that has improved, especially with the auto modes becoming better a detecting scenes. Indoor scenes are a weakness in all p&s camera due to the sensor size, but real advances have been made to them. You can get a lot of camera for $200 these days.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anastacio said:
Hi all.

I really feel I'm barebones at this subject. I have had a beginner digital camera from Canon and Sony before and right now I got nothing. I'm going to Asia next year and is already planning trips to The Maldives, Greece, Venice and Spain but I want a camera.

Not just a beginners-only but a camera where I can play around with all kinds of settings to shoot beautiful shots of landscapes, views, people and capture the vibrant colors and really sharp pictures. I need one that has accessories (doesn't have to have a whole lot of stuff like the nikon/canon line-up has) and right now my choice would be an Olympus E-P2.

I saw one who bought this one earlier in the thread but can you guys recommend anything else I should take a look at? It got to be a camera I can be satisfied with for more than 2 years, one I want to investe money in. I'm willing to spend around $1100 US Dollars (i'm from europe/denmark mind you so i won't be buying from amazon.com) on the camera itself.

Eehh... I don't know if playing with all kinds of settings is related to shooting beautiful shots, but right now for 999€ you can get a nikon d90 with a 18-55 and a 55-200.

Not top-notch glass, but good enough and with all bases covered. The camera is good and Nikon has plenty glass (not as much as Canon, truth be told) so from now on you can just drop money on lenses, flashes and assorted gadgetry.

Alucrid

Banned
I just got my Rebel XS from Amazon and I love it. It's incredible...I can't wait until I actually get a grasp on the functions, settings, etc. Thanks for helping my make the decision camera-gaf. :D

Alucrid said:
I just got my Rebel XS from Amazon and I love it. It's incredible...I can't wait until I actually get a grasp on the functions, settings, etc. Thanks for helping my make the decision camera-gaf. :D

I'm in love with my XSi, makes me wish I had started off with a DSLR instead of a point & shoot.

Grimlock

Daigoro said:
its probably been addressed in this topic already, but i was hoping someone could suggest a free program to use for post processing photos?

i got my first ever digital camera this year (a cheap point and shoot Fuji) so im excited to start taking snaps of anything and everything. the software that came with it is crap and im probably just going to uninstall it.

also, anyone have any general tips for a beginner? tips on post processing effects, ISO/MP setting recommendations or just any helpful advice?

thanks.

Well, Faststone Image Viewer and Paint.net V3.5.1 are pretty decent. GIMP is another option, but I find its interface waaaaay too arcane to comprehend.

As far as tips:

-buy a spare battery for your camera.

-have more than one memory card for your camera. While it's tempting to just cram all onto one huge card, memory cards (of any type) can go bad or get lost, and there go all your shots. I use multiple smaller cards when I'm out shooting, so if one goes kaput, I still have some other shots to work with.

-sort of related to the last tip, but I'd always shoot at your camera's highest resolution and image quality setting. It's a lot easier to shrink a big pic and make it look good small, than taking a small pic and trying to enlarge it while keeping decent image quality.

-put some diffusing material on your flash, like a bit of facial tissue or a bit of opaque tape. Small flashes (like those on point-and-shoots) can wash out skin colors.

zhenming

Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 sample shot at 14mm f/2.8

4229539397_81bc72f03d_b.jpg

:D

Initial impressions:

- Corners are soft, there is some fall off at 14mm using f/5.0.
- At 24mm though it seems fine, I would expect the 24mm using a higher f stop to be almost the same as the 24-70mm f/2.8 24mm.

More after this weekend been working hard... :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom