• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Zyzyxxz said:
well PMA is next month and Olympus is probably gonna reveal a new m4/3 camera.

Depending on what is shown I'm thinking about getting one since the convenience of a compact camera like that would be great for travel.
I believe the one they are going to announce will be a cheaper model, cheaper than the EP1 and a plastic body. Of course, these are all rumors.

DXO mark's review of the GH1 sensor. They compare it to other 4/3rds cameras and the 7D
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...xOMark-review-for-the-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH1

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Chorazin said:
I bought some new stuff to feed my D40 today, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens and a Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight flash.

I've heard really great things about the 35mm lens for low-light shooting, and I'd like to learn to work with a Prime lens.

I also really needed a better flash for indoor shots, either no flash was too dark, or standard flash made the pic turn out pretty rough. I've heard great things about it as well, so I'm pretty excited!
Good choices for high quality budget shooting. Just swivel that flash up to the ceiling and bounce away.

Chorazin said:
I bought some new stuff to feed my D40 today, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens and a Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight flash.

I've heard really great things about the 35mm lens for low-light shooting, and I'd like to learn to work with a Prime lens.

I also really needed a better flash for indoor shots, either no flash was too dark, or standard flash made the pic turn out pretty rough. I've heard great things about it as well, so I'm pretty excited!

Ah! I bought the same lens 2 weeks ago, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I was amazed at how much better it was at shooting dark rooms then my other lenses. Plus, I can finally get some shots with really great bokeh to them. Unless I absolutely have to, I don't think I can switch back to the kit lens.

captive said:
I believe the one they are going to announce will be a cheaper model, cheaper than the EP1 and a plastic body. Of course, these are all rumors.

DXO mark's review of the GH1 sensor. They compare it to other 4/3rds cameras and the 7D
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...xOMark-review-for-the-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH1

Other rumors speak of a 'new, kind of sensor' being introduced. This is just fuel to the fire for those eagerly expecting a replacement for the E3.

I'm expecting some kind of E-520/E-620 replacement at least. They update their entry level cameras every year after and it would be on schedule in this case.

Chorazin said:

Very nice. You'll have lots of fun with the 35mm. The SB400 is great as well. Only downside is that you can't tilt the flash upward when you're shooting vertical

Timbuktu

So my one year old D90 started having some problems with its electronics and I took it in for repairs. Now they're telling me that it's not worth fixing and the insurance people would send me some vouchers to replace it. Of course, apart from getting another D90 again, I am wondering if I can get something better. D700 is a bit too far a stretch since I would have to get new lenses as well, but it seemed the only one with obvious improvements in image quality over D90. I am looking at the D300s, but it is the same as the D90 in most respects apart from speed, AF and the build quality. Anyone here with experience with both? Is it worth the extra over the D90? I am shooting outdoors most of the time so the weight might be a factor (although I do carry tripods and other stuff already) but the sturdier build would be useful.

Fireye

I don't have any hands-on experience with any Nikon bodies, but I do read up on them. You might want to delay your decision a month, as there are some really strong rumors that a successor to the d90 is in the works. nikonrumors doesn't think any dslr's will be announced in the next press conference (Feb3rd), but probably at PMA (end of Feb)

Timbuktu

Fireye said:
I don't have any hands-on experience with any Nikon bodies, but I do read up on them. You might want to delay your decision a month, as there are some really strong rumors that a successor to the d90 is in the works. nikonrumors doesn't think any dslr's will be announced in the next press conference (Feb3rd), but probably at PMA (end of Feb)

Thanks for that. It's getting quite hard to wait though, having already been waiting for the camera to be repaired. Even if they're announced, I won't be able to buy those cameras right away, right? Thinking of all the shots I might miss in the meantime... *sigh* I wish I had a back up. Would have loved to do the current neogaf assignment.

hEist

img0777kopie.jpg

<3

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
3rd Generation Micro 4/3rds Olympus Pen's press release has been leaked and it looks to be priced at $599 (not bad at all)...

Link: http://gizmodo.com/5462364/

That that pricepoint, its sitting between high end point and shoots and bottom tier DSLRs

BlueTsunami said:
3rd Generation Micro 4/3rds Olympus Pen's press release has been leaked and it looks to be priced at $599 (not bad at all)...

That that pricepoint, its sitting between high end point and shoots and bottom tier DSLRs

Does it work with the E-P2 viewfinder?

E-P1 is still king in overall looks.

Edit: got my reply elsewhere and it looks like a yes.

BlueTsunami

Instigator said:
Does it work with the E-P2 viewfinder?

E-P1 is still king in overall looks.

I'm not familiar with the system and accessories but here's what the PR states

The E-PL1 incorporates an accessory port for connecting the optional VF-2 live-finder, a detachable electronic viewfinder, or the new optional SEMA-1 external microphone adapter set (which includes the EMA-1 adapter, the ME-51S stereo microphone and a cord) for those who want to capture enhanced audio with any microphone that has a 3.5mm plug. These optional accessories easily slide into the camera's accessory port and hot shoe.

captive

BlueTsunami said:

m4/3rds is such a great idea. Cant wait for the products to mature a little and the prices to drop, i'll definitely be getting one. Will be awesome to have a tiny little camera to have in my pocket or bag that takes just as good of pictures as my e30 and then still also uses my badass lenses like the 150mm f2.0 and 12-60mm f2.8.

zhenming

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is good.... real good...

4318602795_57e89a23ff.jpg
4317650918_a7fbd977dc.jpg
4317650926_f1f3a23da3.jpg
4289576648_0cd311ea87.jpg

Too bad it can't take filters though... oh the wonderful things it could have done with some :D

equap

Banned
should i buy a new lens (Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II) or a new camera (Canon 7D, body only)?

currently i have a 30D, pretty old camera but still working great.

I used that lens for 2 weeks while in Japan and i loved it. I'd like to get both but there can be only one ($$)

BlueTsunami

equap said:
should i buy a new lens (Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II) or a new camera (Canon 7D, body only)?

currently i have a 30D, pretty old camera but still working great.

I used that lens for 2 weeks while in Japan and i loved it. I'd like to get both but there can be only one ($$)

Lens!

I've read that the 1.4/24II makes an awesome pairing with a crop camera (around 40mm Field of View on crop). It'll make an awesome "Normal" lens.

On the flip, the 7D has oodles of gadgets and functions. But I would still choose the lens.

A possible compromise is maybe selling off your 30D (get the lens regardless of if you sell it or not) and try to get your hands on a used 40D with the money you get back from selling the 30D. The 40D has Live View and other functions that the 30D doesn't.

zhenming said:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is good.... real good...

4318602795_57e89a23ff.jpg
4317650918_a7fbd977dc.jpg
4317650926_f1f3a23da3.jpg
4289576648_0cd311ea87.jpg

Too bad it can't take filters though... oh the wonderful things it could have done with some :D

Om nom nom, those look awesome. Legendary glass indeed.

captive said:
m4/3rds is such a great idea. Cant wait for the products to mature a little and the prices to drop, i'll definitely be getting one. Will be awesome to have a tiny little camera to have in my pocket or bag that takes just as good of pictures as my e30 and then still also uses my badass lenses like the 150mm f2.0 and 12-60mm f2.8.

I think at some point I may go full m4/3rds. Though I'm sort of being pulled two ways, Full Frame or m4/3rds? But the only real reason I want to go Full Frame is because of the spacious and accurate (with better focus screens) Viewfinders. With m4/3rds, you seem to be able to have your cake (extremely compact body) and eat it (viewfinder quality isn't fixed to the body, can buy better quality, large and accurate viewfinders).

equap

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Lens!

I've read that the 1.4/24II makes an awesome pairing with a crop camera (around 40mm Field of View on crop). It'll make an awesome "Normal" lens.

On the flip, the 7D has oodles of gadgets and functions. But I would still choose the lens.

A possible compromise is maybe selling off your 30D (get the lens regardless of if you sell it or not) and try to get your hands on a used 40D with the money you get back from selling the 30D. The 40D has Live View and other functions that the 30D doesn't.
yeah, i was leaning more toward the lens too.

but i'm not going to sell the 30D, i'm going to wait for either a 7D or 5DII predecessor.

Forsete

Waiting for my Samyang 85mm 1.4, should arrive next week. Top quality glass (at least wide) for no money at all (considering the competition :O Zeiss $1400), but its all manual so not for everybody.

BlueTsunami

Forsete said:
Waiting for my Samyang 85mm 1.4, should arrive next week. Top quality glass (at least wide) for no money at all (considering the competition :O Zeiss $1400), but its all manual so not for everybody.

I've read great things about that lens. Supposed to be phenomenal wide open (even rivaling the 1.2/85L). It doesn't suffer from as much Chromatic Aberration as the 85L at larger apertures. Its Bokeh rendition is supposed to be similar to the Sigma 50/1.4 too.

There's a rumor that that same company is developing a 1.4/35mm (for Nikon and Sony) and a 1.2/35mm (for Canon).

Futureman

I guess this would go in here...

What are your guy's thoughts on editing photos (and video for me) on a glossy screen?

I'm really considering the 27" Core i7 iMac, but I'm not so sure about the glossy screen.

olbareun

BlueTsunami said:
I think at some point I may go full m4/3rds...

I am thinking the same. Samsung just came out with nx10 and I think we will start to see m4/3rds with better sensors/IQ. I am going to give it a year or so and see how the system matures...

I just ordered a sigma dp2 as a everyday/lighter camera. I still need to play around with it / test it, but if its good enough for my use case i might get rid of my dslr.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
I think I'm gonna sell my D40 for this!
just know that there still isnt as many lens for it yet, but the new body does have flash and hd recording so thats good

I think its a good trade off though.

BlueTsunami

mrnorush said:
I am thinking the same. Samsung just came out with nx10 and I think we will start to see m4/3rds with better sensors/IQ. I am going to give it a year or so and see how the system matures...

I just ordered a sigma dp2 as a everyday/lighter camera. I still need to play around with it / test it, but if its good enough for my use case i might get rid of my dslr.

Here's an awesome review on the Panasonic GF-1 based on actual usage in Scotland (with photographic samples).

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/reviews/43-panasonic-gf-1-in-the-landscape.html

Its that review that put it over the top for me. Also, m4/3rds + Pancake lens = almost a Point and Shoot :D

iMike76

Banned
DSC00026.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

Just got my new point and shoot today! It's the Sony DSC-TX7. I really love the screen on this thing, plus it shoots HD video.

Sorry about all the gushing, but this is my first new camera in about 6 years.

Oh, and I got a new board today too:D

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
just know that there still isnt as many lens for it yet, but the new body does have flash and hd recording so thats good

I think its a good trade off though.

The only thing I would need is a good prime and a macro.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
you can get a good manual prime that would serve as a macro too (for less $$$$ than two separate lenses). kill two birds with one stone.

-Rogue5-

Does anyone know of a cheap (but still fast) 24mm lens? It'll end up on a 7D, so manual lens is required if not EOS mount.

I was looking for old nikkors, but can't find anything for less than $300... 24mm is quickly becoming my go-to on my 17-55 kit-shit lens, so I wanted to get a fast prime. 50mm on a 1.6x is just too telephoto for a good kicker. I have a 35, but it's only f2.8 and still too zoomed. 24 is the money.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zhenming said:
you can get a good manual prime that would serve as a macro too (for less $$$$ than two separate lenses). kill two birds with one stone.
And you could stick a close up filter on it if you need more magnification.

captive

Zyzyxxz said:
hopefully Olympus releases the 50 f2.0 macro to a m4/3 mount. That would be nice as the lens is one of the best according to all the reviews of it.

mrnorush said:
Of course the sensors are going to get better, but right now the sensors are the same as the ones in the e30 and e620, unless you need to shoot at ISO 10,000 you should be just fine in the IQ department.
Only thing I want is cheaper prices.

BlueTsunami said:
I think at some point I may go full m4/3rds. Though I'm sort of being pulled two ways, Full Frame or m4/3rds? But the only real reason I want to go Full Frame is because of the spacious and accurate (with better focus screens) Viewfinders. With m4/3rds, you seem to be able to have your cake (extremely compact body) and eat it (viewfinder quality isn't fixed to the body, can buy better quality, large and accurate viewfinders).
Go both if you have the money? They would definitely compliment each other in a lot of ways.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
-Rogue5- said:
Does anyone know of a cheap (but still fast) 24mm lens? It'll end up on a 7D, so manual lens is required if not EOS mount.

I was looking for old nikkors, but can't find anything for less than $300... 24mm is quickly becoming my go-to on my 17-55 kit-shit lens, so I wanted to get a fast prime. 50mm on a 1.6x is just too telephoto for a good kicker. I have a 35, but it's only f2.8 and still too zoomed. 24 is the money.
$340 is too expensive for the Canon 24mm prime?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12091-USA/Canon_2506A002_Wide_Angle_EF_24mm.html

equap

Banned
-Rogue5- said:

save up for the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II. totally worth it.

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:

I would do that but the crop factor is 2.0x on Micro 4/3rds right?

So I'd think I'd like to get something like the 17mm for my prime and something longer for my macro.

mrkgoo

iMike76 said:
Just got my new point and shoot today! It's the Sony DSC-TX7. I really love the screen on this thing, plus it shoots HD video.

Sorry about all the gushing, but this is my first new camera in about 6 years.

Oh, and I got a new board today too:D

People might discount this, but it's so exciting to get an upgrade after so many years. You'll find that technology for digicams have come leaps and bounds. Congrats!

Timbuktu

mrkgoo said:
People might discount this, but it's so exciting to get an upgrade after so many years. You'll find that technology for digicams have come leaps and bounds. Congrats!

Things seem to have stalled for the last couple of years though with camera bodies. Adding more pixels above 12MP doesn't mean much anymore and the image quality seem to have got to a plateau on the cropped cameras.

So... no one here have had a D300s? Will probably get my hands on it later this week. Waiting for a D400 seem futile and whatever comes after D90 is still not going to have D300's build quality or handling, which seem to be the major differentiator between bodies nowadays.

Also, anyone know of a good price for a shift lens? That's what I'll be saving towards for the next six months.

Looking for a zoom lens in the 18-70 area for my canon 500D. I aint got a lot of money and might have to limit the cost to around $150...

What are my choices then? The standard 18-55 kit lens?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Timbuktu said:
So... no one here have had a D300s? Will probably get my hands on it later this week. Waiting for a D400 seem futile and whatever comes after D90 is still not going to have D300's build quality or handling, which seem to be the major differentiator between bodies nowadays.

Also, anyone know of a good price for a shift lens? That's what I'll be saving towards for the next six months.
PC-E lenses (Nikon tilt/shift) are damn expensive. I got the 85mm f2.8 PC-E, and that thing cost a lotta bucks.

You could try third party like Zork, though I dunno if that'll save you money. It's a bit more versatile, though.

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/articles/7-the-zork-mfs-an-introduction-to-tilt-imagery.html

There are other manufacturers of T/S lenses, but I don't have the links on hand. Just google it.

Metroid Killer said:
Looking for a zoom lens in the 18-70 area for my canon 500D. I aint got a lot of money and might have to limit the cost to around $150...

What are my choices then? The standard 18-55 kit lens?
Eh, forget zoom. Get the 50mm f1.8 for $100 and zoom with your feet.

Rentahamster said:
Eh, forget zoom. Get the 50mm f1.8 for $100 and zoom with your feet.
But that's the lens I have already. :D And while it's awesome, it's sometimes difficult to cover large areas/bodies indoor as often you aren't able to go back far enough.

It's fucking incredible at portraits though that's for sure.

BlueTsunami

There's a rumor of Fuji throwing in a m4/3rds camera. There's also some mockup but its confirmed to be fake. Should be interesting if the rumor is true though.

I was looking for a thread like this! Long story short, what are your guys' thoughts on the Canon T1i? I've seen it get's good reviews but was hoping to hear from someone who has/had one. Also, I am going to Alaska in August and was wanting to get something for that trip and beyond, what kind of camera/lens is best for that type of shooting?

Really appreciate any help.

Chorazin

zero margin said:
I was looking for a thread like this! Long story short, what are your guys' thoughts on the Canon T1i? I've seen it get's good reviews but was hoping to hear from someone who has/had one. Also, I am going to Alaska in August and was wanting to get something for that trip and beyond, what kind of camera/lens is best for that type of shooting?

I can't help with the camera (I'm a Nikon whore) but if you're comfortable with a camera and looking to get majestic landscape views you'd probably want to get a nice wide-angle lens, and those are $$$. Luckily, you can rent them from lots of places for a fraction of the cost of buying one.

Chorazin said:
I can't help with the camera (I'm a Nikon whore) but if you're comfortable with a camera and looking to get majestic landscape views you'd probably want to get a nice wide-angle lens, and those are $$$. Luckily, you can rent them from lots of places for a fraction of the cost of buying one.

Appreciate the info man, I'm open to Nikon's as well it's just that the canon was one of the first I've read about. Lens is not a really big deal as I'll be doing a lot of up close type stuff as well but it would sure be nice for aerial type stuff.

BlueTsunami

Also, for you people interested in a cheaper Super Wide offering...

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical is about finished

Cracow, 4th February 2010: We bring good news for all those who have impatiently waited for introducing new Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens. The improved model has been just produced and is subject to the final tests. The optics was changed by redesigning the aspherical lens. The first lens is made of the optical glass, while the second is of the hybrid construction.

The aforementioned developments allowed us to improve picture resolution at the edges of a photo by 15%, without affecting the chromatic aberration. The second change was redesigning antireflective coatings and limiting internal reflections, which made the lens more resistant to the flare. The lens will be available in Poland and entire Europe at the end of March. The retail price has been established at 329 Euro. The product will be compatible with the following systems:

* Canon
* Nikon
* Pentax
* Sony
* Olympus 4/3"

PR Link: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020307samyang14mm.asp

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zero margin said:

I suggest getting the Canon 1Ti predecessor, the XSi. It is considered by many to be one of Canon's best cameras made in a long time because it has superb ISO for the whole range, and it doesn't have too many megapixels (since Canon seems to unnecessarily increase megapixels when they can)

The best part, it is $300 cheaper than a 1Ti :D

Chorazin

zero margin said:
Appreciate the info man, I'm open to Nikon's as well it's just that the canon was one of the first I've read about. Lens is not a really big deal as I'll be doing a lot of up close type stuff as well but it would sure be nice for aerial type stuff.

Well, if you're open to Nikon and don't want to spend a lot of cash for a very good camera, hit up Ebay and find a good used Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens. The only bad thing about it for an amature like you or I is that it doesn't do autofocus with older Nikon lenses, but honestly, all you need for what you want to do is the camera body, the kit lens, and the 55-200 AF-S VR telephoto lens (about $200 new on Amazon) for those things you can't foot zoom for.

I love mine and so do many, many others. Check my Flickr page to see pics taken with it and either the stock lens or the 55-200 lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom